Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If Obsidian Kickstarts a project, what manner of game will it be?

What type of game Obsidian will most likely make? [You can select more than one option]

• Total voters

Stinger

Arcane
http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/1/entry-159-initial-kickstarter-responses/

Avellone updates on the responses thus far:

:mca: said:
I’ve gone through all the blog responses, comments, and Twitter responses - I wanted to say thanks to you all for the idea suggestions and the support.

And just as importantly, feel free to keep them coming. I routinely check Twitter (@ChrisAvellone), Facebook, my inbox, and a number of gaming sites with similar questions (Penny Arcade, Rock/Paper/Shotgun, NMA, RPGCodex, GameBanshee, RPG Watch, Giant Bomb) in addition to this blog so while it helps if you put your comments here or in the blog below, chances are if you frequent those other sites, I’ll have a way of getting that feedback.

If you see a thread that I may have missed, feel free to suggest it (that’s where I found many of the links above).

I’ve tabulated all the current responses as of last night, and it went off to the Obsidian owners for evaluation. I can’t promise anything will come from it, but considering the outpouring of feedback here, I appreciate everyone that took the time to respond (and the detail as well).

An additional thanks to those who had enough faith in us to be supportive no matter what the project was... that was encouraging to read.

To answer some common questions:

- Pursuing Kickstarter was a question of personal interest on my part. It doesn’t guarantee that Obsidian would do a Kickstarter project. All I know I’d love to do one, and while I have games I’d love to do, I was more curious as to what you’d want to see.

- Some people asked why we would seek funding at all. In short, our cash largely stems from publisher financing. If a publisher doesn’t believe a title is worth the investment (adventure games, old school RPGs), they will not support the endeavor.

- What excited me about Double Fine is that it skirted asking the publishers and pitching to publishers in the first place and changed the pitch focus to the folks who want to play the game. They had a means of going directly to the public and asking if they’d support a project, which they did. And as a developer, getting such a reaction from fans for a seemingly "dead” genre is welcome.

- If interested in the results, the most responses concerned in order of preference (note that there’s likely bias here considering the author of the Twitter and the blog post below):
  • Planescape 2/Planescape Spiritual Successor.
  • An Isometric turn-based/pause RPGs in general.
  • The “other” category – this fell into game suggestions and mechanics and genres that were only suggested by 1 or 2 folks. I read all of these.
  • Make whatever you want, we’ll support you.
Again, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. And even if my Excel-burned-eyes are dry from tabulating responses, it’s good that there was such a strong amount of feedback in the first place.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
They sound a bit overgrown, don't they?
67.5 for South Park, 67.5 for Josh Sawyer's "original and innovative art style" (assuming that job listing wasn't for a new third project) "RPG" and other not-as-developed stuff. Perfectly reasonable.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
"An Isometric turn-based/pause RPGs in general." That would be fucking sweet. The Black Hound would be better.

Deleted member 7219

I hope it won't be turn-based, I'm fine with it being isometric though.

My preference would be open-world first or third-person, faction-based (think Falllout: New Vegas) and heavy on choices and consequences. Also, their own original IP.

janjetina

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Why use turn based and pause like they mean the same, or a similar thing?

Turn based / pause is likely to be equivalent to would finance (if details are satisfactory) / would not finance. PS:T may be my favourite RPish game, but making a game that hinges only on the quality of story and its presentation is a gamble that usually turns out to be bad. I would buy it if it turned out to be good, but I would not finance it.

Edit: On reflection, if it had a design document of a similar scope, detail and quality as the Torment one and if it was made public, I would probably chip in.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Obsidian makes an isometric RPG using OGL 3.5 and F.A.T.A.L. rulesets. It features more C&C than any game ever, 6 character party, challenging turn-based combat, beautifully hand crafted graphics. It is virtually bug-free.

Once released, critics claim it is outdated and ugly, giving metacritic score of 50. RPG Codex server melts down after mondblut posts his opinion saying "It's pretty good". In the end the game sells barely 10,000 copies.

After a few weeks of drinking, MCA hangs himself. Thousands of members of the cult of MCA cry in unison and follow their idol's path.

One month later, Bethesda announces "Planescape 2rment".

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
http://forums.obsidian.net/blog/1/entry-159-initial-kickstarter-responses/

Avellone updates on the responses thus far:

:mca: said:
I’ve gone through all the blog responses, comments, and Twitter responses - I wanted to say thanks to you all for the idea suggestions and the support.

And just as importantly, feel free to keep them coming. I routinely check Twitter (@ChrisAvellone), Facebook, my inbox, and a number of gaming sites with similar questions (Penny Arcade, Rock/Paper/Shotgun, NMA, RPGCodex, GameBanshee, RPG Watch, Giant Bomb) in addition to this blog so while it helps if you put your comments here or in the blog below, chances are if you frequent those other sites, I’ll have a way of getting that feedback.

If you see a thread that I may have missed, feel free to suggest it (that’s where I found many of the links above).

I’ve tabulated all the current responses as of last night, and it went off to the Obsidian owners for evaluation. I can’t promise anything will come from it, but considering the outpouring of feedback here, I appreciate everyone that took the time to respond (and the detail as well).

An additional thanks to those who had enough faith in us to be supportive no matter what the project was... that was encouraging to read.

To answer some common questions:

- Pursuing Kickstarter was a question of personal interest on my part. It doesn’t guarantee that Obsidian would do a Kickstarter project. All I know I’d love to do one, and while I have games I’d love to do, I was more curious as to what you’d want to see.

- Some people asked why we would seek funding at all. In short, our cash largely stems from publisher financing. If a publisher doesn’t believe a title is worth the investment (adventure games, old school RPGs), they will not support the endeavor.

- What excited me about Double Fine is that it skirted asking the publishers and pitching to publishers in the first place and changed the pitch focus to the folks who want to play the game. They had a means of going directly to the public and asking if they’d support a project, which they did. And as a developer, getting such a reaction from fans for a seemingly "dead” genre is welcome.

- If interested in the results, the most responses concerned in order of preference (note that there’s likely bias here considering the author of the Twitter and the blog post below):
  • Planescape 2/Planescape Spiritual Successor.
  • An Isometric turn-based/pause RPGs in general.
  • The “other” category – this fell into game suggestions and mechanics and genres that were only suggested by 1 or 2 folks. I read all of these.
  • Make whatever you want, we’ll support you.
Again, thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. And even if my Excel-burned-eyes are dry from tabulating responses, it’s good that there was such a strong amount of feedback in the first place.

:hero::mca:

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I truly appreciate MCA's sensible approach and willingness to even consider the community's requests.
"An Isometric turn-based/pause RPGs in general." - it'd be beyond wonderful if that suggestion came to fruition.

I hope it won't be turn-based (...)

There's the door.

Deleted member 7219

I truly appreciate MCA's sensible approach and willingness to even consider the community's requests.
"An Isometric turn-based/pause RPGs in general." - it'd be beyond wonderful if that suggestion came to fruition.

I hope it won't be turn-based (...)

There's the door.

Maybe you should get out then. The Codex has always been a place where there are lots of different opinions, believe it or not. There's alll kinds of people here, people who love Morrowind, people who hate it, people who love Obsidian, people who hate them, get used to it.

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Maybe you should get out then. The Codex has always been a place where there are lots of different opinions, believe it or not. There's alll kinds of people here, people who love Morrowind, people who hate it, people who love Obsidian, people who hate them, get used to it.

I am familiar with The Codex Code of Conduct ®, kindly spare me that supercilious tone.
Primo: You're being utterly clueless. Obsidian won't ever secure funding for a "real time open-world first or third-person" cRPG through strictly voluntary means of crowd financing, ergo: this particular part of your "opinion" is inherently flawed at its core due to unrealistic expecations. Secundo: did you honestly expect your disdain for TB combat not to be ridiculed? Please.

Deleted member 7219

I am familiar with The Codex Code of Conduct ®, kindly spare me that supercilious tone.
Primo: You're being utterly clueless. Obsidian won't ever secure funding for a "real time open-world first or third-person" cRPG through strictly voluntary means of crowd financing, ergo: this particular part of your "opinion" is inherently flawed at its core due to unrealistic expecations. Secundo: did you honestly expect your disdain for TB combat not to be ridiculed? Please.

You idiot, you're the one who said 'there's the door'.

Captain Shrek

Obsidian makes an isometric RPG using OGL 3.5 and F.A.T.A.L. rulesets. It features more C&C than any game ever, 6 character party, challenging turn-based combat, beautifully hand crafted graphics. It is virtually bug-free.

Once released, critics claim it is outdated and ugly, giving metacritic score of 50. RPG Codex server melts down after mondblut posts his opinion saying "It's pretty good". In the end the game sells barely 10,000 copies.

After a few weeks of drinking, MCA hangs himself. Thousands of members of the cult of MCA cry in unison and follow their idol's path.

One month later, Bethesda announces "Planescape 2rment".

Probably a good and accurate analysis of the situation. :bro:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom