Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

If you could mod Underrail what would you add or change?

Xeon

Augur
An Unlimited Weight carry/Unlimited Inventory, especially since I already finished the game and don't want to deal with it on a replay.

Sykar

Arcane
You know how your cursor doesn't register an enemy if his sprite is covered by an object or a wall, even if he's within your line of sight? I'd change that.

Usually works when pressing z or tab for me though. There are occasional problems targeting Spawns if they are on top of a body after hatching but that hardly ever comes up.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
If you could mod Underrail what would you add or change?

• The UI, there's worse but it's not exactly user friendly.
  • All the maps, ALL of them, walking on empty (and ugly) maps for hours isn't fun at all.
  • The crafting and inventory system, too many ingredients, little carry capacity.
  • Controllable party members.
Overall, it's a rather weak Fallout clone, Fallout mods are better, it'd probably have been better as a Fallout mod in the Fallout engine.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Make merchant have endless amount of money. I am a fucking pack rat and like selling all that garbage i had got!
The reason this will never happen is explained by a character in the early game, but I can't remember who it was. He was basically laughing at some guy who wanted to sell him every piece of junk he had on him.

Also, it's not the money limitation, but the limitation on the merchant's demand for a type of item that prevents you from selling everything.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Make merchant have endless amount of money. I am a fucking pack rat and like selling all that garbage i had got!
The reason this will never happen is explained by a character in the early game, but I can't remember who it was. He was basically laughing at some guy who wanted to sell him every piece of junk he had on him.

Also, it's not the money limitation, but the limitation on the merchant's demand for a type of item that prevents you from selling everything.
Oh i know that mate,even asked Styx about it and got no :). Still the question is about make believe shit.

Last edited:

Covenant

Savant
I haven't played it since one of the earlier versions, so this might already be in, but... an improvement to the Fast Travel options. Either something more than the train/boat, or adding a lot of possible unlockable destinations to those two.

Spam 'Decline' and the rest all you like, but my time to play games is limited, and I don't want to waste it travelling through the same old screens with absolutely no risk. And unless things have changed, there's no respawning combat beyond trash mobs like rathounds and beetles - all the actually risky fights that I remember were setpieces.

It's not about difficulty. I relish a challenge; by all means, give me more fights where I have to think tactically. Give me long stretches where I can't rest or escape and I'm worn down by attrition, I'll face it gladly. But backtracking back to my house to store shit isn't a challenge, it's tedium. Walking through a bunch of areas I've seen before adds nothing to my experience, except making me ambivalent about booting up the game again.

One of the best things about the old Wizardries and Might and Magics was that I could spam the direction keys and get through a city or dungeon I knew well in a matter of seconds. Short of Underrail bumping up its animation speeds to hilarious levels, I don't see that happening here, so Fast Travel is the best alternative. The faster movement that people have mentioned above would be acceptable though.
An Unlimited Weight carry/Unlimited Inventory, especially since I already finished the game and don't want to deal with it on a replay.

A better alternative IMO would be to rework the encumbrance system. JA2 1.13 worked near-perfectly, in that you were unlikely to carry many things around you weren't planning to actively use (bar the odd LAW you were saving for tanks). Every little bit of extra carrying capacity you gained ended up being valuable because it gave you an extra grenade to throw or another clip for your weapon. That's much more interesting than the sadly-more common system of 'Well, I'm full to the brim of loot, time to go home and stash it/leave some here'.

And there was also the enhanced inventory system of JA2 1.13 - which was apparently divisive, but I enjoyed it a lot. Deciding whether to upgrade to a higher quality thigh rig, that weighed a little less and had space for a couple of throwing knives and a canteen as well as your med-kit, but that left you less camoflauged... it felt like it left the player with more control over their character's whole loadout as opposed to being restricted by an obtuse system.

Drowed

Arcane
I haven't played it since one of the earlier versions, so this might already be in, but... an improvement to the Fast Travel options. Either something more than the train/boat, or adding a lot of possible unlockable destinations to those two.

The whole problem with 'fast travel' is essentially a matter of design. Do you want to see an example of a game that had 'fast travel' and nobody has ever noticed or complained about? Arcanum. Nobody criticizes Arcanum's FT system because it wasn't a problem then: it made perfect sense within the context of the game and didn't create any (big) negative side effects. A worldmap and encounters en route. It worked perfectly there, as well as in Fallout. Technically, we can say that most of the RPGs loved by Codex have some form of "fast travel".

The big problem with most games with vast worlds is that backtracking is usually a big waste of time and is not at all interesting. I mean, I can manually click through 20-something maps and see my character/party walking from point A to point B, taking around 15+ minutes to do this (loadings not included)... Or I can open the worldmap and click on the option to go directly to the place. Some people will always argue that the best way is to do that manually, just as some people still argue that the best experience in RPGs was the time when we made the maps manually, like we did in the first dungeon crawlers that didn't have any in-game map tools.

But just as there is a perfectly functional middle ground between hand-drawn maps, and automaps with quest-compass and bright exclamations and 40 different-colored-markers, there are also fast travel implementations that make the game more pleasant for the player, without necessarily making it "easier". AOD tried to reduce this dead/useless time spent on travel and ended up being criticized for teleporting the character around everywhere. Maybe because in AOD's case this was implemented automatically most of the time and your character jumped from place to place, from conversation to conversation, without the player having to open the travel system to choose the next destination. But I'd say the heart of the idea was in the right place.

But one thing is true: if your players start using programs like Cheat Engine not to cheat, but to just change the speed that your character walks only to decrease the time lost while travelling... Surely, there is something wrong here.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I never had an issue with excessive backtracking, actually, apart from the very slight annoyance of moving through a few screens to get to the Core City places of interest. This:
backtracking back to my house to store shit
is dumb and unnecessary and you have only yourself to blame.

Black Angel

Arcane
[AOD tried to reduce this dead/useless time spent on travel and ended up being criticized for teleporting the character around everywhere. Maybe because in AOD's case this was implemented automatically most of the time and your character jumped from place to place, from conversation to conversation, without the player having to open the travel system to choose the next destination. But I'd say the heart of the idea was in the right place.
To me, personally, the idea is not only good, the implementation also works. It's one of the major reasons why the game is so easily replayable for me. On Steam, I clocked ~300 hours, but it should be nearing 400 hours now because I've been playing it without launching Steam. And in the span of that ~400 hours, I've replayed the game countless time, way more than literally every RPGs I've ever played. Meanwhile, on Steam I clocked ~400 hours for Underrail, and in the span of that time I've only finished the game twice(!), with a couple of incomplete playthroughs I abandoned because my laptop died at some point and so the saves with it, and the most recent one I abandoned because I'm waiting for the expansion now.

Damianus_NT

Novice
Midgame, hard difficulty, 90 hours in (includes a lot of: farming, trading, crafting and backtracking). The main changes I would like to see in the game were already mentioned in this thread:
- (optional) walking speed hotkey/adjustment in order to counter the default, slow movement (crafted boots are really helpful here, but not quite enough),
- (optional) expanded fast travel mechanics to combat constant backtracking (especially bad on slower PC where loading times are longer and stack),
- interface improvements (mainly better/clear inventory and improved crafting window),
And thats basically it... I generally agree with Covenant and Drowed.
Eventually, maybe a bit more reactivity, in example: people reacting to your reputation, more messagess and bussiness offers via email etc.

Strange Fellow, different people prefer different playstyles. Why not give them some optional tools so they can enjoy the game even more? There are no mods for Underrail so such options would be very welcomed addition for many.

As a rule, I clear every location and pick up every single piece of loot. It was fine for some time, but after 55-60 hours into the game, I started using cheat engine to grant myself unlimited carry capacity, because going back after every fight has become too tedious (CE was recommended on forums by many veterans). Also, playing on a potato PC means that the loading times between levels are quite significant, and there are plenty of those. After reaching 80 hours, I also started switching between 1x/2x/5x speed, depending on the situation (merchant runs and super steel farming). I despise cheating in games but this actually improved my mid-game Underrail experience.

Anyway, even with these "flaws", Underrail is stil a fantastic game. Worth its price several times over.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
As a rule, I clear every location and pick up every single piece of loot. It was fine for some time, but after 55-60 hours into the game, I started using cheat engine to grant myself unlimited carry capacity, because going back after every fight has become too tedious (CE was recommended on forums by many veterans).
This isn't the fault of the game, this is the fault of the players. Why would you pick up every single piece of loot, knowing full well that traders won't just buy anything from you, have limited cash, AND your character having limited carry capacity? Also, after 90 hours you should realize before then that different items with different weight sells for different prices, which means items with low weight AND high prices are better for picking, instead of heavier weight with same prices, or worst, lower prices. Also, just completing quests AND doing trade runs while you're at it are more than enough to make you swimming in cash, so going all out and picking up every single piece of loot is dumb.

Codex Year of the Donut
As a rule, I clear every location and pick up every single piece of loot. It was fine for some time, but after 55-60 hours into the game, I started using cheat engine to grant myself unlimited carry capacity, because going back after every fight has become too tedious (CE was recommended on forums by many veterans).
This isn't the fault of the game, this is the fault of the players. Why would you pick up every single piece of loot, knowing full well that traders won't just buy anything from you, have limited cash, AND your character having limited carry capacity? Also, after 90 hours you should realize before then that different items with different weight sells for different prices, which means items with low weight AND high prices are better for picking, instead of heavier weight with same prices, or worst, lower prices. Also, just completing quests AND doing trade runs while you're at it are more than enough to make you swimming in cash, so going all out and picking up every single piece of loot is dumb.
I'm a pack rat and demand the game caters to my pack rat needs

Black Angel

Arcane
I'm a pack rathound and demand the game caters to my pack rathound needs
Fixed.

Also, https://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Pack_Rathound

Damianus_NT

Novice
Why would you pick up every single piece of loot, knowing full well that traders won't just buy anything from you, have limited cash, AND your character having limited carry capacity?
Because you play a crafting heavy character (70%+ of his points go to crafting and merchandise) that needs resources and who scraps half of his loot anyway. BTW. Im fine with merchants buying limited sets of items and possesing finite resources. I think it's a nice mechanic (you can always take ammo/parts instead). However, after recent patch, selling on hard difficulty grants you only 50% of the default item value. You need to sell quite a lot of stuff in order to get the resources necessary to buy ammo, parts, super steel plates etc.

I'm a pack rat and demand the game caters to my pack rat needs.
A player politely voices his opinion and suggests what he would change as per the thread title. The stuff could be optional, so you could play the way you enjoy. Just like dificulty options. Just like character stats and perks. There is a reason why people do love mods.

Sbago8q.jpg

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Because you play a crafting heavy character (70%+ of his points go to crafting and merchandise) that needs resources and who scraps half of his loot anyway. BTW. Im fine with merchants buying limited sets of items and possesing finite resources. I think it's a nice mechanic (you can always take ammo/parts instead). However, after recent patch, selling on hard difficulty grants you only 50% of the default item value. You need to sell quite a lot of stuff in order to get the resources necessary to buy ammo, parts, super steel plates etc.
And still you don't need to, as you admitted, literally pick up every single piece of loot if you're a crafting character. I played a crafter for my second playthrough, and I don't pick every single piece of loot nor did I have trouble with resources, because I planned what kind of items I want to craft in advance and only really pick up relevant components on the way.

Haven't tried playing on Hard, though, but I want to remind you that there's a reason the 'Normal' is called 'Normal' because it's what the devs intended as the 'true experience'. Besides, there's still this skill called Mercantile which can be used to great effect in conjunction with crafting skills, since you can buy for less and sell for more the more you invest into the skill. You don't need to put much into it, a maximum of 90 (not effective skill, unfortunately) to pass a skill check when buying one of the crafting table is all you need, I'd say. There's also the Salesman feat which allows you to sell more goods based on your skill, though I doubt anybody would want to sacrifice a precious feat slot, except for maybe non-crafters.

A player politely voices his opinion and suggests what he would change as per the thread title. The stuff could be optional, so you could play the way you enjoy. Just like dificulty options. Just like character stats and perks. There is a reason why people do love mods.
I agree with you, and it's fine if you get to enjoy this thanks to mods. But criticizing the game's aspect for your own OCD hobo mentality is something that baffles me to no end. If you go to such length that 'OCD hobo mentality' became a 'playstyle', then go ahead and revel in your own madness, picking up every single piece of loot and face the consequence of being encumbered that you moves even slower in an already slow-moving game, and do it ad nauseum because of backtracking. But don't come complain to devs and ask them to cater to your own mentality. Not saying you personally do, but I've read some thread in Underrail forum where a guy/gal/it goes on to crusade against this particular design aspect of Underrail, to the point that Styg (iirc) put Al Fabet into the game because of him/her/it, and that guy/gal/it still gets salty to no end.

See, the game actually caters to pack rathounds more than what people think. A high quality of this boots, Rathound Regalia which grant a +1 STR bonus which is +10 carry capacity, Power Fist if you want to go all out with another +1 STR, AND Pack Rathound means even a 3 STR character shouldn't really have problems with carry capacity.
And that's not even considering the fact that the game doesn't immediately restrict you from going over the carry capacity limit (like Fallout does), and instead allows you to go over the limit but then encumbers you and make your character moves slower.

Damianus_NT

Novice
I'm a pack rat and demand the game caters to my pack rat needs.
(...) criticizing the game's aspect for your own OCD hobo mentality is something that baffles me to no end. If you go to such length that 'OCD hobo mentality' became a 'playstyle', then go ahead and revel in your own madness, picking up every single piece of loot and face the consequence of being encumbered that you moves even slower in an already slow-moving game, and do it ad nauseum because of backtracking. But don't come complain to devs and ask them to cater to your own mentality. Not saying you personally do.
This felt like a misrepresentantion/misinterpretation. I'm not whining nor demanding anything, like you guys did imply. These were, again, just sugestions and own preferences... basicaly what this thread is about ("If you could mod Underrail, what would you add or change?"). I even wrote "flaws" in quotation marks to underline this.
But I do get your point and agree with you in some way.

BTW. Was not aware of the devs' oficial stance on the subject or the lore behind Al-Fabet. It's a nice bit of information to have. Regardless of that knowledge, I respect(ed) Styg's vision.

Anyway, one more month.

:shredder:

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
This felt like a misrepresentantion/misinterpretation. I'm not whining nor demanding anything, like you guys did suggest. These were, again, just sugestions and own preferences... basicaly what this thread is about ("If you could mod Underrail, what would you add or change?"). I even wrote "flaws" in quotation marks to underline this.
I apologize if you saw my post that way, but it wasn't that as I made it clear before that part you quoted with, "I agree with you, and it's fine if you get to enjoy this thanks to mods."
I only posted that part you quoted in context of what Strange Fellow said, and also in regards to many people actually seriously shitting on the game for their own dumb mentality.

Some sort of blueprint (maybe feat exclusive) to make mechanical and/or electrical components of higher quality.

Like Jury-rigging or found a reaper quality 80 frame and a quality 70 frame. Join these two to get a Quality 115 frame. or something like that.

Of course obvious things like psi beetle shells and super-steel plates to be excluded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom