Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IGN article: "Should X-Com Have Stayed Turn-based?&quot

Baron

Arcane
Probably.

But more importantly it should have stayed Strategy.

nihil

Augur
Project: Eternity
Baron said:

I think that's implied with turn-based. And I've never seen real time, first person and strategy go well together. Sounds like a hassle to do well.

I won't read a long-ass article about that. Of course it should be turn-based. That's what UFO is and should be. Furthermore, UFO should have UFO aliens, not lego block things.

Pfft. This is how you make a game/movie these days : take a popular, classic game/movie, then use the name only, nothing else since you're an asshole and want to use your own completely crap ideas but sell them with a much better brand. I could do that too. Let's make a Good, Bad & Ugly movie where the story is : a good Lucky Luke type of guy and an ugly good-hearted comic relief midget seek the Good's only true love, kidnapped by the Bad who's an evil jew banker.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
toby mccasker said:
At one point I worked in an office as Zoo Weekly's entertainment editor. That didn't really work out. In fact, they ended up firing me and then a wild media shitstorm appeared. Henceforth, I now have an appalling reputation for shooting myself in the foot in the name of the oft-foregone conclusion that is journalistic integrity.

And I'd do it again.
looks like he's doing it again

DraQ

Arcane
Whoa.

Something non-retarded on IGN?
:what:

Ok, the choice of video games to support the point is still pretty derp and I LOLed heartily at
Tens of millions of Pokemon fans can't be wrong...
, but it's still a massive incline from the tripe usually seen on IGN and I guess we can't really afford to be picky these days.
:salute:

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Yes. They shouldn't have added the half-assed RTwP. 3 should have stayed purely turn-based like 1 and 2.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Who is trolling there?

"should there be more turn base gams?" hell no. Too many rpgs have been turn based, and thats what has ruined the genre for me. The best games i think have real time movement and thats how it should stay. Sure, stuff like Final Fantasy and Golden sun have awesome stories and stuff, but it takes tooo damn long to go through the battles and you don't have any way to kanually dodge attacks. What happend to skill and reflexes?

Faegers!

DakaSha

Arcane
nihil said:
Baron said:

I think that's implied with turn-based. And I've never seen real time, first person and strategy go well together. Sounds like a hassle to do well.

Yeah battlezone sucked

MetalCraze

Arcane
Here is a challenge for dumbshits in this thread going "Woah IGN wrote something that doesn't go against the only possible true view of the world (mine)!!1"

Find a game Codex liked that IGN didn't in the past 3 years.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
IGN Comments said:
Let's not forget, though, just like it says in the article: transitions from turn-based to real-time can work. As much as I liked the original Fallouts, they did not hold my attention nor immerse me in the world nearly as much as Fallout 3.
:lol:

Now there is something we can all agree on. The old fallouts just weren't immersive with there silly far-away camera and take it in turns to move combat (silly game, who fights like that?). The new shit, however, is the goods, 10/10 Bethesda!

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
FP RT strategic games would make players die out of boredom when they wait for their order their armies and corpses to execute their orders

Drakron

Arcane
Rivmusique said:
Now there is something we can all agree on. The old fallouts just weren't immersive with there silly far-away camera and take it in turns to move combat (silly game, who fights like that?).

Chris Avellone said:
Narration cannot be separated from level or system design, imo, and camera angles are a big part of that. As an example, there are certain vistas and moments in Fallout 3 and New Vegas that could not be accomplished without breaking you out of the isometric view regardless (REPCONN rockets launching). You can't get the full impact of weather, day/night, seeing the moon over Vegas, seeing the two Ranger Statues in the distance at the Mojave outpost, seeing distant flames at Nipton, looking up to see the Goodsprings cemetery with the skyline of Vegas behind it, or seeing the storms of the Divide to complement the location (the last four of which I'd argue are strong narrative moments as well as superior level design touches that cannot be done isometrically). I feel isometric is great for multi-party (like, 5-6 individuals you're controlling in combat), but when you're the lone wanderer with one or two companions that take general orders, it's not essential.

http://willooi.com/2011/09/unmasking-th ... ne-part-3/

Angthoron

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Here is a challenge for dumbshits in this thread going "Woah IGN wrote something that doesn't go against the only possible true view of the world (mine)!!1"

Doesn't IGN kinda like pretty much all games? I dunno, just kinda got that impression.

nihil

Augur
MetalCraze said:

That's going to be hard. IGN likes everything with good graphics, and they don't review games like Knights of the Chalice.

Also, I don't see how it's on topic.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Drakron said:
Rivmusique said:
Now there is something we can all agree on. The old fallouts just weren't immersive with there silly far-away camera and take it in turns to move combat (silly game, who fights like that?).

Chris Avellone said:
Narration cannot be separated from level or system design, imo, and camera angles are a big part of that. As an example, there are certain vistas and moments in Fallout 3 and New Vegas that could not be accomplished without breaking you out of the isometric view regardless (REPCONN rockets launching). You can't get the full impact of weather, day/night, seeing the moon over Vegas, seeing the two Ranger Statues in the distance at the Mojave outpost, seeing distant flames at Nipton, looking up to see the Goodsprings cemetery with the skyline of Vegas behind it, or seeing the storms of the Divide to complement the location (the last four of which I'd argue are strong narrative moments as well as superior level design touches that cannot be done isometrically). I feel isometric is great for multi-party (like, 5-6 individuals you're controlling in combat), but when you're the lone wanderer with one or two companions that take general orders, it's not essential.

http://willooi.com/2011/09/unmasking-th ... ne-part-3/
I never missed stuff like that in Fallout. Especially with postcards and other stuff like that.

Damn. It's this time of the year again... I smell the burnt leaves and it's getting cold... I feel the call of Fallout 1 again...

DraQ

Arcane
Awor Szurkrarz said:
FP RT strategic games would make players die out of boredom when they wait for their order their armies and corpses to execute their orders
:lol:

I'd like to see a proper strategy in proper RT with wide range of time compression factors (up to 100k or maybe 1M) to make it all possible, though.

No coarse TB abstraction, but a lot of detail, still plenty of time to make decisions and no RTS army in a minute nonsense.

It'd be very :monocle: .
:obviously:

Gondolin

Arcane
Chris Avellone said:

Frankly, I agree with what Avellone says here. However, I couldn't care less about such cinematic moments in my games. So what if I don't get the full impact of the Shitville skyline? The primary function of the interface is to be tactically pleasing.

DraQ

Arcane
Gondolin said:
Chris Avellone said:

Frankly, I agree with what Avellone says here. However, I couldn't care less about such cinematic moments in my games. So what if I don't get the full impact of the Shitville skyline? The primary function of the interface is to be tactically pleasing.

Except the only Fallout game that was in any way "tactically pleasing" was Tactics - which sucked.

Gondolin

Arcane
I'm content with isometric perspective for starters. The tactical options provided by FO1 and 2 were as good as those of Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep. Good enough for me.

nihil

Augur
Gondolin said:
I'm content with isometric perspective for starters. The tactical options provided by FO1 and 2 were as good as those of Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep. Good enough for me.

I don't know about as good as X-Com, but yeah, it was fun enough.

As for

Chris Avellone said:

I agree that narration is tied to system design, and I also agree that some scenes in New Vegas couldn't have been done with isometric perspective, but that doesn't mean New Vegas did those things better than FO1. In fact, the first Fallout had strengths like giving an impresson of vast wastelands and huge travelling distances, something New Vegas lacks (and that can't be done with its system design). The location design also has a lot more character, even without the epic views. To me, Junktown, The Cathedral and The Glow had a lot more character and told better stories than Goodsprings, The Outpost and other places in NV. Not saying NV is bad in that respect, but the first-person view certainly isn't a narrative silver bullet.

Gregz

Arcane
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

FREE-Reeses-Peanut-Butter-Cups-300x300.jpg

Chocolate & Peanut Butter are both good...but how can they be combined to make something better?

Shooters & Squad Based RTS/TBS games are both good...but how can they be combined to make something better?

The problem is how to make the whole better than the sum of its parts. Reese's got it right with chocolate and peanut butter. Noone got it right with shooters and strategy.

Mass Effect tried...but the result is less fun than a good shooter and less fun than a good RTS/TBS.

Shooters are fun hyptonic twitch games that put the player into a 'zone' while playing.

:thumbsup:

'Pausing' that fluid playstyle to give tactical commands to your squad DESTROYS immersion.

:x

Noone has invented the Reese's Peanut Butter Cup for shooters and strategy games yet. It may be impossible, or it may be delicious.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom