Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

IGN's Top 25 Modern PC Games

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The article is here.

A few awesome details.

(1) Spelunky inexplicably occupies both #17 and #12 on the list. I suppose they'll fix this at some point, but for God's sake, isn't a listicle the easiest thing in the world to edit?

(2) FO:NV beats FO4. On IGN!

(3) The Witness at #6. This seems like the recency effect.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Witness at #6 is just straight up bait, ditto XCOM2 at 7, Portal 2 at #1 (2010 was so long ago people have probably forgotten Portal 2 vs Portal 1 was a debate), and many more

IGN long ago figured out how to play to its reputation to milk ad revenue from an outraged internet. Not to mention 14 year olds are the #1 demographic for these websites because they haven't figured out how to install adblock yet.

sser

Arcane
Developer
25, Company of Heroes
24, Arkham City
23, Keebler Cookie Project
22, Starcraft Dos: Ayyy Amigos
21, shamwow
20, Minecraft
19, Left4Dead2
shitshitshit
15, Fallout 4
14, New Vegas
10, Witcher 3
9, League of Legends
8, Skyrim
7, XCOM2
6, Mad Max
5, Counter-Strike
4, Dota2 <--- definitely the clickbait part with League of Legends right above it
3, Portal
2, Bioshock
1, Portal 2

Lemme know if I missed anything and don't forget to link like and subscribe.

Cadmus

Arcane
Subscribed! How is your patreon going???
Offtopic since the thread is shit anyway - is there a reason why all the fucking idiots on youtube tell me to DONT FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE AND LIKE MY VIDEO?
Does it work for any of you? I have 0 channels I subscribe to because why the fuck would I when I can look them up myself if I feel like it. If I did subscribe to anything, those morons asking me to do it would be the last person I'd subscribe to.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
They were really scraping for it when they put Mad Max in sixth place, weren't they?

Subscribed! How is your patreon going???
Offtopic since the thread is shit anyway - is there a reason why all the fucking idiots on youtube tell me to DONT FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE AND LIKE MY VIDEO?
Does it work for any of you? I have 0 channels I subscribe to because why the fuck would I when I can look them up myself if I feel like it. If I did subscribe to anything, those morons asking me to do it would be the last person I'd subscribe to.

I'm guessing for most people it makes them more likely to be noticed and approached by YouTube for a partnership deal, or to spread the popularity of the video via word of mouth.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Are these lists made for any other reason than to sell the latest games? Shit like Firaxcom 2 and The Witness are barely on a top 25 list of games released in the last 2 months.
4, Dota2 <--- definitely the clickbait part with League of Legends right above it
Funnily enough, that's the only part they got right with this list. Not that either game should be on a list like this.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
This lists are just ads for some shitty new indie games, in this case its The Witness and Undertale.

GrainWetski

Arcane
This lists are just ads for some shitty new indie games, in this case its The Witness and Undertale.

It's for The Witness and Firaxis' latest shite. They don't need to sell Undertale.

Undertale found its way to pretty much every single top list since it was released, they are being consistent.
Well, yeah. Undertale is there as the latest really popular game to make the lists seem legit(bonus points because indie!). It's how games"journalism" works.

Games that are 2-3 weeks old are only there to be sold.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom