Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm in a mood for a Diablo-clone / favorite Diablo-clones

nomask7

Arcane
Are there any enjoyable ones that I missed? Here's a list of Diablo-clones that I know more than by name:

Dungeon Siege 1&2 (plays and feels kind of like NWN1; I'm trying the second, and damn that's hard without providing much opportunity for grinding - still I'm able to progress but I don't particularly admire the game)
Titan Quest (didn't really like it but perhaps I should retry)
Divine Divinity (got stuck in the first dungeon cause it was too hard iirc; seemed like an OK game)
Dragon Knight Saga (here I should have used walkthrough but didn't; only played through the beginning or so, which I didn't particularly like - beginnings are important, dammit, look at Sacred 2 which I love to replay a little way and would even further if it was freer)
Sacred 1&2 (only played 2 - love the anti-storyfag minimalism and like the relative freedom and opportunities for exploration and grinding, although there could have been more)
Diablo 1&2&3 (only really liked 1, haven't tried 3; with respect to 2, the jungle level just kills it for me - what an annoying shit, plus the darkness quest in desert level is annoying)
Loki (didn't like it)
Din's Curse (just not that satisfying, something lacking, maybe the focus was in the wrong place for a game of this type, like solving a quest/beating a level fast instead of doing careful exploration and intelligent grinding)

Borderline Diablo-clones:

Two Worlds 1 (I think the prominence of loot and the numerousness of monsters make this a borderline case, even though combat is twitchy; great game either way)
Borderlands series (feels like fps Diablo; only played the first one so far but it's OK)
Hellgate: London (I got stuck, or something; that's pretty much all I remember)

There's something like a list here but the thread is short on actual recommendations:

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/list-of-all-diablo-clones.62183/

So far I'm in the embarrassing situation that I've really only properly played & enjoyed Sacred 2, Diablo 1, Two Worlds, and Borderlands. Perhaps I should man up and play through Divine Divinity, but I feel like trying something less Codexian.

nomask7

Arcane
I assume you're already familiar with Prince of Qin?

Not really. I'll check it out, thanks.

No Torchlight?

Never tried it. I get the impression people aren't that into it and it's like old. I didn't mention it but I'm actually more curious if I missed something recent. But I'll try anything at least once. At least if it's single player.

Path of Exile? Give it a try, it's free!

Online only? Do I have to interact with anyone, ever? I don't like online interactions in games.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Nomask ignores me, but I'll still suggest something for those who can't stand Diablo 3 and shitty art style of Torchlight:
Cybermerks. Diablo gameplay + Fallout environment.

GrainWetski

Arcane
You should probably play the first Sacred. An absurd amount of items and levels to grind. There's like 7 sets per character and a ton of uniques.

Shadowflare? You can't buy it any more, so just pirate it and give it a try.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Just remember to set Torchlight 1/2 difficulty setting to highets. Lower one are painfully boring and I'm not even a good player (well, I played Diablo: The Hell but that's not much).

Migh&Magic VI-VIII you mow down outstanding amout of mobs, if that count.:troll:

Plus - Cybermerks, Restricted Area and Sigma Games titles - Alien/Zombie Shooter, if that count.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Perhaps you should follow this still in dev project, made under the Cry Engine

It looks very dynamic :salute:

Hiisi

Savant
Nox is fun, not exactly a Diablo clone but close enough to count. The story a bit goofy and lighthearted so you might miss that from Diabolo but it has atmospheric parts of its own. Very different playing styles for the three classes. The combat kicks butt, with nice line of sight and interactive objects mechanics; there's a cool magic system; character development is limited in comparison to Diablo if I remember right.

Vampire: Redemption... the gameplay is simplistic and the writing painfully sappy and melodramatic. The faux old English whiny monologues go on forever. As for myself, I am the sort of faggot who is actually moved by this, so I love it naturally. Has a lovely Gothic atmosphere thanks to the art style and music.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Divine Divinity is cool. Open world Ultima VII-lite with ARPG gameplay.

Also the game gets piss easy after you hit level 15 or so.

:Flash:

Arcane
In addition to those already mentioned (Divinity is a must), there's Revenant and Silver.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom