Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm in a mood for a Diablo-clone / favorite Diablo-clones

Cadmus

Arcane
Divinity and Div 2 have nothing to do with Diablo and they are great.
You run around clicking a lot of shit dead and pick up tons of randomized pre- and postfixed loot in the process.

True, it's other factors that make them good, but basics remain.
this loot system is shared all across the aRPG genre

DraQ

Arcane

JesusGreen

Novice
I feel like Titan Quest doesn't get enough love, when Diablo/Titan Quest/Torchlight etc are all about the combat and fun builds and progression I feel like naturally the game with the most build possibilities (TQ) has an edge. Path of Exile is glorious once you get your head around the way the skill circle-tree-mandala-thingy works and prefer the darker art-style like D1/D2.

Torchlight II is pretty nice but if the last paragraph didn't make it obvious I'm a sucker for lots of skills/classes and in that department it was kind of lacking, it has some very fluid combat though and whenever I jump into the game I get sucked in for a few hours.

Umbra looks worth watching out for, maybe something I won't burn out on so quick.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Throne of Darkness
Came to post this 'un.

Been meaning to try this. You control a whole party?

Restricted Area is pure dog shit...

Holy fuck I remember Restricted Area. What an awful piece of shit game. I have the box here somewhere.

Yeah, I played a lot of shitty Diablo clones in my time, and this is by far the most bland, boring and soulless one I ever touched.

How to FUCK can you not pull of a Cyberpunk Diablo clone!? :'( Sigh....
I don't remember much about Throne of Darkness now. I just remember my cousin getting a hold of it (the source of much of gaming in my youth) and my being very impressed with it for it being a clone of a popular game.

Morkar Left

Throne of Darkness
Came to post this 'un.

Been meaning to try this. You control a whole party?

Restricted Area is pure dog shit...

Holy fuck I remember Restricted Area. What an awful piece of shit game. I have the box here somewhere.

Yeah, I played a lot of shitty Diablo clones in my time, and this is by far the most bland, boring and soulless one I ever touched.

How to FUCK can you not pull of a Cyberpunk Diablo clone!? :'( Sigh....
I don't remember much about Throne of Darkness now. I just remember my cousin getting a hold of it (the source of much of gaming in my youth) and my being very impressed with it for it being a clone of a popular game.

Throne of Darkness has a party. You can swap the members midways to your liking. I think there were only 3? active at the same time. You can control one actively and switch between them. The other two get controlled by ai. I didn't really play the game because I only had a demo and some difficulties to get it to run.

nomask7

Arcane
I've played Sacred a little. It's similar to Sacred 2 but feels pretty different for some reason (graphics, slower health regen, goblins everywhere). I don't like it as much, though that's subjective. And why do Goblins become literally harder to beat when my character becomes higher level? Shouldn't the opposite happen? Some sort of shitty level scaling obviously. Why do game devs do this to their games?

Anyway, game is hard. I'd grind but I fear that will only make it harder...

turul

Augur
I feel like Titan Quest doesn't get enough love, when Diablo/Titan Quest/Torchlight etc are all about the combat and fun builds and progression I feel like naturally the game with the most build possibilities (TQ) has an edge. Path of Exile is glorious once you get your head around the way the skill circle-tree-mandala-thingy works and prefer the darker art-style like D1/D2.

Torchlight II is pretty nice but if the last paragraph didn't make it obvious I'm a sucker for lots of skills/classes and in that department it was kind of lacking, it has some very fluid combat though and whenever I jump into the game I get sucked in for a few hours.

Umbra looks worth watching out for, maybe something I won't burn out on so quick.

Titan Quest was ok-ish, finished it twice, while Torchlight (II) I found boring and uninteresting. After 3-4 hours of hacking away, it got stale and tiring. Same with Diablo 3. I tried a couple of other diablo clones as well, but I don't think any of them were nearly good enough as Diablo 2. Not even Diablo 3.

cfisher2833

Learned
Torchlight 2 is the best recent isometric ARPG imo. Many of the guys at Runic worked at Blizzard North. Van Helsing was pretty looking, and worth it once you're done with better games; Grim Dawn also looks quite good, but I can't say from firsthand experience how good it is. Path of Exile will likely be mentioned a lot, and it might be better now, but when I played it during the beta, I found the leveling up system to be underwhelming--I just never really felt like my character was progressing at all.

Aothan

Magister
Titan Quest came at just the right time, and was a very polished action rpg for the apparent lull after Diablo II, but conceded so much because of a lack of servers with character data stored on their side (i.e. not allow hacking). That's all that happened to limit one of the greats of the genre being lost because of this seemingly (from the perspective of most players) fundamental aspects of gameplay.

whether Grim Dawn will share a similar consequence I cannot tell (last I heard they were not going to provide servers again) but I'm definitely looking forward to the next game from these, presumably, wisened developers.

returning to Titan Quest, I'm afraid it does begin to feel more constrained and linear than is desirable for these types of games, and as players move past halfway of the main quest direction the homogeneity of the design becomes increasingly noticeable. For those who enjoy a variety of mechanics and expansive characterisation Titan Quest is still quite good.

most of all I would recommend using the camera mod to lower the angle of view to behind the shoulder, that really makes for an interesting game with ranged characters, but can prove very demanding on computer hardware. Also, no longer having the original cds, the Steam version is not as easily modified.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter

never played any Diablo and only understood the term "Diablo clone" after playing Torchlight and TTQ.

Although TTQ will always be at the top and have a special place in my heart - the Torchlights are okay in my opinion.

For some reason I still prefer the older Torchlight to its newer counterpart. The first one was quite straight forward - go down the dungeon, then go further down. Quite compact and was a bit eerie. It had lots of loot and decent character development options.

T2 felt too cartoony to me - although we now have multiplayer and Steam Workshop mods easy to get hold off. It's not restricted to just the dungeons and much of the game is above ground. It does have a lot more diversity in levels and design.

As for many of the other games listed on this thread - I don't see them as Diablo clones.

Renevent

Cipher
Titan Quest + Immortal Throne + Soulvizier Mod

TQ is one of my favs as it is but with the Soulvizier mod it's even better. Makes the game more difficult and faster paced (mob density, more champions, etc). It also adds a few new challenging areas and adds entirely new items. It comes in two main flavors, the base mod and one with the Masteries mod (new/redesigned classes) built in. The really neat thing is they also added new ways to farm by collecting the souls of boss/champion mobs which allows you to craft exceptionally powerful items.

http://www.titanquest.net/tq-forum/forums/119-Soulvizier

You can usually find TQ + IT for $5 and with the mod can easily get 100+ hours out of the game...great value.

Also, as already mentioned Grim Dawn is also fantastic although still in development.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
This suggestion might sound a little offbeat, but both Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (meh) and Lord of the Rings: Return of the King (pretty good) for the Game Boy Advance are Diablo clones, complete with character selection, random loot, skill trees and just general Diablo hack 'n slash goodness.

Nothing too special, it's even more of a novelty thing than a great series, but they do scratch that Diabo itch.

Modron

Arcane
Eh just do what others have said and play the more off beat but better clones Nox, Divine Divinity and Prince of Qin, and then run far away as you tire of that style of game.

nomask7

Arcane
nomask7
I thought you where playing Demon's Souls/Dark Souls...

You changed your mind?

I've killed two bosses in Demon's Souls and explored pretty much everything except the areas beyond the other bosses. I took a break after I got far in the Shrine of Storms (4-1) but messed up with one of the gold skeletons. That level was nerve wracking.

I recently started playing Dark Souls II - I've explored everything I could find in the first area except the room with arrows trap and the fire cave. The boss is kind of difficult and is making me want to take a break.

My second character in Dark Souls (priest who doesn't savescum) isn't turning out to be as good as the first (warrior with whom I savescummed in bosses). I'm not sure which character I want to use when I continue the game. On the other hand, I want to complete the game without savescumming, but then again I'm a casual fag so that might turn out to be too much for me and as mentioned, my honest priest character just isn't as good as the cheating warrior.

Last edited:

Grim Monk

Arcane
nomask7

Ask Bros in the relevant Codex threads for help/advice:
Dark Souls:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/dark-souls-pc-discussion-thread-mk-ii.94317/page-22
Dark Souls 2:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-dark-souls-ii-megathread™.78690/page-289
Demon's Souls:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-demons-souls-thread-god-damnit.53777/page-12

IMHO its doesn't really ruin the fun of game to ask/share build advice or minor hints.
The games seem to "flow" on players sharing their experiences and helping each other out.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
Nah, I'd rather progress on my own so far. With the DS2 boss I just need to be able to dodge his feet stomps better. I'm using a tank build as usual so it's not as easy as it could be (and although removing armor is a valid strategy in some bosses - and possibly expected by the game - I dislike the idea of having to change playstyle from boss to boss beyond changing what weapon you use).

Branm

Learned
Main issue with Grim dawn is the dev has no issue with all the blatant duping that is happening. Doesnt impact me since I dont play multi but i assume that when playing multi games you will only be playing with people that use perfectly rolled duped rares.

Renevent

Cipher
Main issue with Grim dawn is the dev has no issue with all the blatant duping that is happening. Doesnt impact me since I dont play multi but i assume that when playing multi games you will only be playing with people that use perfectly rolled duped rares.

There's nothing for them to do about it, not that they don't care. It uses the same online functionality as TQ which is PNP (as opposed to D3 with closed server architecture). Yes that means there will be duping but it also means the online is fully moddable which is great IMO. A big reason TQ lasted so many hours for me was some of the really awesome mods, and it was great you could also play them online with others.

Also on TQ not everyone duped/cheated/whatever and I assume the same will be with GD.

nomask7
I thought you where playing Demon's Souls/Dark Souls...

You changed your mind?

I've killed two bosses in Demon's Souls and explored pretty much everything except the areas beyond the other bosses. I took a break after I got far in the Shrine of Storms (4-1) but messed up with one of the gold skeletons. That level was nerve wracking.

I recently started playing Dark Souls II - I've explored everything I could find in the first area except the room with arrows trap and the fire cave. The boss is kind of difficult and is making me want to take a break.

My second character in Dark Souls (priest who doesn't savescum) isn't turning out to be as good as the first (warrior with whom I savescummed in bosses). I'm not sure which character I want to use when I continue the game. On the other hand, I want to complete the game without savescumming, but then again I'm a casual fag so that might turn out to be too much for me and as mentioned, my honest priest character just isn't as good as the cheating warrior.

Depending on whether you're a PC purist, or a PS3/PS4 fan, the finalized version with all the DLC will be available in March. They also added some bonus DLC for PS3 fans to compensate for the lack of PS4 graphical fidelity.

Also, anyone who owned the original game gets bonus DLC when they install the new copy. :)

I think Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile seem most like what you're looking for.

Just started Marvel Heroes 2015, great game.

I'm also mucking about in DC Universe online, though I haven't gotten far. Oddly, I've gotten a recent MMORPG fetish, though nothing, as usual, has scratched the itch. It must be my old MUDDing days, though most MMOs still lack depth and sophistication.

I really wanted the Secret World to work out. It at least had a compelling idea.

nomask7

Arcane
Depending on whether you're a PC purist, or a PS3/PS4 fan, the finalized version with all the DLC will be available in March. They also added some bonus DLC for PS3 fans to compensate for the lack of PS4 graphical fidelity.

I'll probably get it for the new monster placement and (?) extra areas. On PS4 so I can play it on a bigger screen.

nomask7

Arcane
Tried Torchlight. The graphics suck - compared with a game that's a lot older (and the main competitor and source of inspiration), Diablo.

I didn't play enough or spend enough thought to decide whether Torchlight is kitsch or serious. I just hate the art style. And needless to say, never make a Diablo if you're not going to make it serious. It would be like a Dracula that's not dark, what's the fucking point? And yes, Coppola is shit.

grudgebringer

Tried Torchlight. The graphics suck - compared with a game that's a lot older (and the main competitor and source of inspiration), Diablo.

I didn't play enough or spend enough thought to decide whether Torchlight is kitsch or serious. I just hate the art style. And needless to say, never make a Diablo if you're not going to make it serious. It would be like a Dracula that's not dark, what's the fucking point? And yes, Coppola is shit.
Graphic whore, bro?
Anyway, they chose such art style merely because it's cheaper in production. And TL1 actually feels much darker than TL2.

nomask7

Arcane
Graphic whore, bro?
Anyway, they chose such art style merely because it's cheaper in production. And TL1 actually feels much darker than TL2.

Atmosphere whore. If you're making a Diablo clone, you should try to compete at the things that you can compete in, and atmosphere is one of the more important.

There's something cartoonish about Torchlight that goes beyond the clunky 3D graphics. Dungeon Siege 2 had clunky 3D graphics and so did Neverwinter Nights, but those weren't bad. NWN especially - which I've played a lot more - had excellent atmosphere and what I'd call successful art direction.

Considering that there's nothing particularly special about Torchlight, why would I want to play it when it fails at atmosphere?

grudgebringer

Well, yeah, if you don't like the atmosphere then, I guess, it's not your kind of thing.
I myself was surprisingly pleased by its vibe, and music was making this world pretty consistent in its own way, without any needed diablo references. I can only encourage you to progress a bit further and discover at least first 3 episodes to see for yourself if you dig it or not, because it really gets better there. If you play it on normal difficulty it will be pretty easy to reach those levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom