Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm looking forward to Oblivion.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
So sue me. Some of you fuckwits can't seem to grasp the idea that some people might actually have different interests than you. OMG we're not mainstream, we're totally underground and hip and we like games that nobody else plays! Stop acting like a bunch of goths and get a fucking grip.

I still remember aweigh's little rant/irc log about how I was looking forward to Oblivion. Holy shit, can it be that someone here actually looks forward to that game? I'm obviously blaspheming against the holy word of Vault Dweller.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Good for you. Nobody really cares who's looking forward to what, but thanks for sharing that with us.

Tintin

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
Good for you. Nobody really cares who's looking forward to what, but thanks for sharing that with us.

So why would anyone care that you aren't looking forward to Oblivion as intimately displayed in .....all of your news posts.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I don't post "I won't buy this game" in every news post, do I? I discuss features and design elements. Can you see the difference?

Tintin

Arbiter
Vault Dweller said:
I don't post "I won't buy this game" in every news post, do I? I discuss features and design elements. Can you see the difference?

:roll: You really consider your posts "discussing features and design elements"?

Astromarine

Erudite
yes. why wouldn't he? His posts usually consist of showing something a dev said that proves his point that Oblivion is being developed by cutting features from previous games so we can have more IMMERSHUN, and commenting on it. sure his comments are sarcastic and short. So what? It's a news post, that's all they can be. Then in the thread he usually says what he meant.

Why wouldn't you consider that a discussion of features? because of the tone? Well fuck you, we don't do polite here, we do direct. MSFD and kathode don't sweat it and dish out as good as they get sometimes, so don't try to be their nanny. If they wanted fangasms they'd stay in their forums.

I just hope the two of them will do something REALLY cool that past developers who showed up here never did: Stick around after the release and discuss it with us with all the cards on the table, so stuff like "OMG YUO DID NTO PLAY IT YET OMGOMG!!!" won't get thrown around. Past devs all did a vanishing act as soon as their turd was released.

Also, I'd like to say: Sol, shut the fuck up. Noone here is stifling dissenting opinions on Oblivion, so drop the dramaqueenitude (as if you could).

Sol Invictus

Erudite
What about his fake interview, or the overabundance of l33tsp33k? P.s. stop spelling immersion "immershun".

There's a difference between direct criticism and bias. There's a difference between direct criticism and straw man arguments that take words and sentences out of context. There's deep seated bias in construing one developer's response to a modder being as hype for soil erosion and water puddles.

Also, I'd like to say: Sol, shut the fuck up. Noone here is stifling dissenting opinions on Oblivion, so drop the dramaqueenitude (as if you could).
O RLY? Every time a newbie or what have you comes along and tells VD to stuff it he and all his fanboys, including you, go on a diatribe about how he's been here longer than they have, and that they're newbies or whatever - just look at his replies to Percolator Fish. If that isn't an oppressive response, I don't know what is.

By the way, why are you still on staff? You've made like a grand total of 2, or is it 3 news posts since you were hired.

Astromarine

Erudite
Do you think you fool me about Percolator Fish? Here's a direct quote from him, buddy:

Percolator Fish said:
I would just like to go on record saying that I would engage in anal intercourse with "Sol Invictus." I would prefer top; I would settle for bottom. Hope this helps.

So you've been unmasked as simply defending your main squeeze.

Seriously: That guy has 33 posts, and he's been here since 2003. Go find his history again. His first interaction with VD starts with him saying

Percolator Fish said:
Oh shit great thread! Role Player and Vault Dweller are you the same guy? You are tied for the stupidest guy on the forum award. I just read it in the New Yorker.

That's unprovoked, mind. VD simply responded "who the fuck are you?". I would too, that shit came out of the blue. Here's his NEXT interaction with VD, again unprovoked:

Percolator Fish said:
Vault Dweller you are one shitty newsposter and everything you say is the opposite of the truth.

So yeah, you're right. VD, how could you break the poor newbie's spirit like that? Shame on you. SHAME.

Who's using straw men again?

As for my awesome staffiness: fuck you, it's none of your business. At least I won't demand my stuff, meager as it may be, be removed if I eventually get fired, you silly bitch. Until I am, it's between me and Saint. You never saw me ask for your removal when you were part of staff, but I should expect you to be the petty little turd you became these last two years.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
In case you don't know who Percolator Fish, he's a guy who visits the IRC channels and that is where he talks about the Codex. Over here, he's mostly lurking. It's the same with jiu jitsu. Given your not-limited intellect, I would think that it would be easy for you to discover and accept that most people don't find VD's posts particularly unbiased, even though they don't bother themselves to reply, given the typical reaction to such an action from a Codex 'outsider'.

As for my awesome staffiness: fuck you, it's none of your business. At least I won't demand my stuff, meager as it may be, be removed if I eventually get fired, you silly bitch.
Hey, that's a nice quip. It's too bad that me and Saint kissed and made up a long time ago, so congratulations for being months out of date on your insults. You and some other people (like whoever called me Sol Evictus) seem to think that the entire internet/world revolves around the Codex. Guess again! It's just a community on the internet that I, and a lot of other people happen to frequent, but it's certainly nothing we couldn't live without.

Until I am, it's between me and Saint. You never saw me ask for your removal
I don't believe I was asking for your removal. I was merely commenting (or criticising, as VD would have it) on your 'situation' here on the Codex as nothing more than excess baggage, which is readily apparent to me, and anyone else with a brain.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Seems to me VD doesn't understand the concept of emergent AI, either. There's a difference between explicitly scripted actions and ones that are based on interactions (with side effects) that are parameterised and then interpreted based on those interactions. Such is the nature of emergent AI.

If he did, he would stop referring to Radiant AI as "NPC scheduling".

Astromarine

Erudite
your second post first: Sure, but it remains to be seen whether it will be used as more than an NPC scheduler. Fuck the tool, show me it's use.

I'm still unconvinced that it will be more than a glorified scheduler in general use. There will probably be one or two showcases of the technology and the rest will probably be exactly that. I call it "They'll pull a Fargoth". If the visible result is that NPCs walk around at certain times because they're hungry, why do I care what breakthroughs were necessary to make them do that?

OK, now the first one:

First of all, fuck bias. Just that: fuck it. It's become a dirty word here and in other places and it drives me nuts. I'm not a journalist, neither is VD or Saint AFAIK. As I wrote a few weeks ago, the Codex absolutely fucking sucks hairy goat balls as a news site. I thought that was obvious to even the most retarded. We don't put up press releases, we don't have many contacts in the industry, we don't generate ad revenue for the industry, and we're also kinda mean to them. All the news we put up, even if we find them somewhere else, pretty much show up in rpgdot sooner. A lot of times that's where we find them. That can't be helped until we stop doing what I said we did above. Fat fucking chance.

The only added value that we supply is editorial content, and a censorship and marketing free forum where people can bitch about games, ,devs, and each other. We're the Daily Show of rpg news, except we're not even remotely as funny and our perspective is that of crotchety old farts who whine about "those damn kids". It makes NO SENSE for people to criticize us for that. Sure, criticize us when we're wrong or when we stop being entertaining, but not because we do what we do.

So sure, we're biased. So fucking what? We're also biased against consoles, against MMORPGS, and against Bioware. Most of our biases, though, are not irrational dislikes, but positions we reached after evaluating the games and developers according to our personal ideas about what is valuable in games.

Now for the petty idiocy: Sure I've been excess baggage lately. Thing is, I'm pretty light baggage. I may not do as much as I should, but I also don't abuse my awesome superpowers, stir shit on the forums, or start flamewars in news posts. If Saint cuts me off, he does and I move on. In the meantime, he knows what's been happening to me and why, and also what I think should be done with the site. So you should be taken as fact that if I am still here is because Saint thinks I can, for now. Your opinion on the subject being both irrelevant and uninformed, I'll summarize: none of your business.

The fact that you made up with Saint shows nothing besides poor judgement on his part. I merely meant that unlike you I don't throw hissy fits and abuse my powers, thus it's no big deal to keep me on the staff, even if I don't contribute as much as I should, as long as I'm not purposefully ignoring my responsibilities.

Oh, and 2 maybe 3 was pulled out of your ass.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sol Invictus said:
Seems to me VD doesn't understand the concept of emergent AI, either. There's a difference between explicitly scripted actions and ones that are based on interactions (with side effects) that are parameterised and then interpreted based on those interactions. Such is the nature of emergent AI.

If he did, he would stop referring to Radiant AI as "NPC scheduling".
It seems to me that I'm not the only one:

Saint said:
There's nothing emergent about Radiant AI, though. For it to be emergent, something has to kind of emerge from it other than watching townspeople periodically shuffle around and do a chore here and there.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
You haven't seen real abuse of power, have you?

That said if you want to turn the site into a Daily Show or Village Voice you (by you I mean the Codex) should at least post EDITORIALS. That's what the content manager is for! Instead of whining in the news posts and writing fake interviews in l33tspeak as VD sometimes does, you should funnel all that rage and bitterness into an honest to god editorial column.

It'd be worth reading, then. As it is, it's too fucking hard to find specific subjects of discussion because every single thread seems to consist amalgam of every subject known to man. It's hardly a good way to run the site.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Saint is wrong about Emergent AI. It might not be as complex as The Sims 2 but the NPCs definitely have desires that they need to fulfill (e.g. eating food) and they have to attain it in some way or another that results in emergent behavior. It might not be so complex as to cause big changes, but it's still emergent to the smallest of degrees.

Besides, more can be done with it. We're not talking about Fargoth here.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sol Invictus said:
Saint is wrong about Emergent AI
Everyone's wrong about it, but you. Cool

That's what the content manager is for! Instead of whining in the news posts and writing fake interviews in l33tspeak as VD sometimes does
What the fuck are you talking about? I haven't written any fake interviews, in any speak.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Yeah, me and Bethesda, the gaming news media and other developers. We're all wrong because you're right. Your word is gospel.

You also seem to think that you're not a MAJOR part of the "persona" that the codex hasn't earned over the years, then you're just addled. I don't think you have a single bone in your body that's capable of making a non-acerbic non-sarcastic fuckwit news post.

Can't you just inform instead of 'criticising'? I don't think anyone here has anything against Saint's criticism, which is generally valid and based on existing facts. Yours happens to be based on nothing more than the vendetta that you constantly and consistently deny to have against the company.

What the fuck are you talking about? I haven't written any fake interviews, in any speak.
You're such a poor liar.

what fake interview?
Ultra-Xboxorz teh ultimate online gaming magazine bringz u a mega interview with no other than a pretty important Bethesda employee ! You'll get answers on a few of teh hottest subjects, so read on and weep !

Ultra-Xboxorz - Let's start with the PC requiremets. Just to get 'em out of the way. Can you give us a hint ?
pretty important Bethesda employee - Absolutely. They are higher than you'd expect and they are certainly higher than we'd ever admit. This doesn't mean that they're extremely high, just that they are kinda very high. But we can't really talk about it yet. Buy an Xbox 360 wink.gif

UX - So, if I understood correctly, that means the Xbox 360 version will kick major PC [censored] ?
B - Yep. You got the hidden meaning allright. You see, goin' mainstream is a wonderful thing. We milk more people of their money, while they get what they always longed for (whether they know it or not): honest to God gore. No headaches and fancy statistics. No. Only beautiful GORE.

UX - How would you describe Oblivion's graphics ? Especially the forests.
B - Oblivion's graphics are very good and the forests are really nice looking too. In fact they look so good, that I might even use the word "uber" to describe them.
UX - Really ?
B - Really.

UX - You have told us a thousand times how uber RAI will be. Would it be possible for you to repeat it once again ?
B - Sure ! RAI will be uber uber. It will give the NPCs certain goals like: torture innocent pets, get drunk and pick on the weak, steal, kill and other such activities that we at Bethesda consider to be FUN.

UX - Did the NPCs ever do anything out of the ordinary that would surprise even you, a big Beth... smart person ?
B - Well, they rarely surprise me... ahem, but they often surprise my other less intelligent colleagues... anyway, this shady character suddenly decided to steal everyone's shoes. So, the next morning people were walking around bare foot and they all caught one hell of a cold. We think that was absolutely hilarious. Even more interesting than the game's plot actually...
UX - Wow, that is really uber.
B - Yes, isn't it ? "Uber" would also be my word of choice.

UX - Now, there are lots of angry fans who want more info on the all-knowing compass. Could you clear things up for them once
and for all ?
B - I'm not sure... let me think for a second here... well, I guess it wouldn't kill me to describe it in a bit more detail... oh, well... here goes nothing: the compass is situated in the middle of the screen and it replaces your crosshair. It's actually a big red flashing arrow that has "Bethesda RULZ" written on it. You can "tell" it to point in the direction of the following goodies:
- easy kill
- secret place with hidden loot
- HEIR.
There's even an option called "stupidgamer", kinda like autoplay. It let's you sit back and watch how your character slaughters whomever needs to be slaughtered. In this mode you automatically gain invulnerability, so that you can feel like a strong, potent manly man, without ever lifting a finger. And if accidentally you miss someone, the game auto-reloads and you can perform a super-insta-kill on your helpless victim.

UX - Yeeey ! That's killer ! I think that now it's obvious to everyone that Oblivion is da best game eva.
B - Yes. Obvious.

UX - What about the merging of skills ? And what other bright ideas did you implement ?
B - LOTS. We got tired of so many words and numbers. What gamers really want is a big weapon and a crazed monster to chop in half. If we wouldn't be tied down by the damn lore, we would have also added shotguns and laser cannons just to please the little warrior inside us. Gotta rewrite that stupid lore.

UX - If it's not too much a trouble, could you tell us the real reason behind the scraping of mounted combat ?
B - OK kid. But only because I like you: we were bored and got lazy. That's the honest to God truth. But the fans will take care of that. There'll be mods and bla, bla, bla... why do you think we release our editing tools ? So that the consumer can correct our mistakes. You know, we really really hate to work on patches. After the game ships, we just want to enjoy our glory, cash and chicks in bikinis.

UX - Right. Now on to a pretty messy question: are all these improvements the result of the so-called dumbing-down for teh Xbox users ?
B - Of course. Although dumbing-down is a very accurate word. We like to avoid such clear definitions. Why not say "user-friendly" and other such nice little lies ? Hmmm ?

UX - You are like... sooo right mister. Damn those stupid PC elitist bastards! Uhm, now what about the release date...
B - ...yes ?
UX - Uhm... What is it ? The release date I mean... of the game Oblivion.
B - Ooooh, I didn't follow you there for a second. You mean the game Oblivion on which we are working at the moment ? Now I get it ! Silly me. Well, that game will ship when we have managed to place all the 9000 forks and napkins all over the land. It's a really tedious work. None of us has the time to do anything. And I mean no food, no shower and certainly no alcoholic beverages every afternoon from 3 'till next day mornin when we... but we're really not prepared to talk about it yet.

UX - Is there anything you wish to add ? You know, something for teh fans ?
B - If I must... ahem, we at Bethesda really... ahem, I mean you are the most... well... I wouldn't really like to add anything.

Even if you were to call it satire, I expect satire to be amusing. This fake interview, satire or not, is anything but amusing. Don't mince words.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Sol Invictus said:
Yeah, me and Bethesda, the gaming news media and other developers. We're all wrong because you're right. Your word is gospel.
Well, Beth is supposed to say that it's awesome; you've gotta be kidding about the gaming news media, and what other developers are you talking about?

Can't you just inform instead of 'criticising'?
Why? To get your approval?

I don't think anyone here has anything against Saint's criticism, which is generally valid and based on existing facts. Yours happens to be based on nothing more than the vendetta that you constantly and consistently deny to have against the company.
What vendetta? Do you need to see the drama all around you?

You're such a poor liar.
One more time, I didn't write this interview. Follow the link and see for yourself.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Maybe. I don't hate Bioware, I don't hate Bethesda. I don't hate their games. I don't hate their developers. I just dislike certain design elements and development focus and directions, and disagree with them. That's all.

Lumpy

Arcane
Uhm, there is a thread with basically the same name and subject above this one. And you know about it. So why create this one?

LlamaGod

Cipher
Every time a game comes out that i'm even remotely interested in, I will make a post about me looking forward to it and fan website.

EXITIUM IS COOL OKAY

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom