Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm looking forward to Oblivion.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
angler said:
Having people setting around talking in a bar doesn't need to be done by radiant AI. It needs to be done by some good animations and background crowd noises.

RAI makes the people go to the tavern to begin with. Instead of having a pre-populated tavern with hand-placed NPCs who randomly play drinking animations, and having to script placing them there, and script them not being there when the tavern's closed, NPCs will come & go as their schedules and other factors dictate.

Chefe

Erudite
So you're saying that placing a few NPCs in a tavern with some animations, and having them "not exist" when the tavern is closed, is tougher than programming an entire scheduling device and is more of a strain on the system than said device that lets them create whole routines for the day, different choices, and updates all the time?

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Oh hell no. Implementing something like RAI is obviously much harder. But it's also much, much more flexible and yields results which seem much more natural and realistic to the player. You're not necessarily going to see the same people in the tavern every time you go there.

Chefe

Erudite
How many times in Arena or Daggerfall did you walk into a tavern and think "I wonder why there is never any different people in here?" You didn't, because you don't pay much attention to the individual people as you do to the tavern as a whole. You notice it is a tavern filled with many people drinking, conversing, etc. If it was the same people all the time, well, it's not like Cyrodill has any New York Cities in it. It's just the local patrons, so you'd probably expect them to be the same people in there all the time.

It may be more realistic, but who's really going to spend all day following around NPCs? Well, we'll probably do that once, or maybe twice if we see a particularly interesting NPCs... but besides that it doesn't seem like it will matter a whole lot.

It does sound cool, I'll give you that. However, this all goes back to the fact that RAI is the only feature besides combat and forests that is being talked about as the focus of the game, and also that we hear all the cool things RAI can do at the same time we're hearing about all the cool gameplay elements that haven't made it into this next chapter.

Oblivion is being touted as the "RPG for the next generation" or whatever. Now, if it was being touted as a "Complete Fantasy World Simulator", and wasn't a sequel to such an amazing RPG as Daggerfall, I wouldn't have a problem. What I do have a problem with is that Oblivion will further redifine a modern concept that "RPGs aren't about deep choices. They're about pretty graphics, fancy gimmicks, and hack n' slash." I mean, when is the last time an RPG allowed your character to be a linguist?

Of course, calling your game an "RPG" is the cool thing to do now and is great for marketing (especially when you're the only so-called game on a much-hyped upcoming next-gen console). I guess a little honesty from developers is too much to ask. The trend will pass one day, and RPGs will be forever scarred because of it.

What would I personally hype Oblivion as? "A next gen immersive fantasy world that comes to life at your fingertips. You can create a character and experience this world and its intriguing storyline. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion will still feature RPG-like elements from past games in the series, but will be more focused on providing a realistic world to experience as opposed to a more classic RPG experience."

... not "Oblivion is the redifinitive RPG for the next-generation. Poised to set standers in RPGs for many games to come."

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
What you're missing is that the topic list can include responses to questions asked of the player, not just things the player can ask the NPC. Multiple responses, even. Ones that might alter the NPC's disposition towards the player, and affect what the NPC's reaction is to what the player "says." Our dialog system is MORE than capable of handling what you're asking for, for that reason and more.

There's also the Condition system, which (among other things) allows designers to establish the conditions whereby topics (and even responses) are available -- it can be based on a huge number of variables, from disposition towards the player, to faction membership and status, quest status, whether or not the player is wearing a particular item, the time of day in-game, and pretty much anything else we give the designers access to.
I think it's worthy to remind that Morrowind's dialogue system was capable of all that (I'm not sure only about the time of day-in-game variable as I never used it). The problem was that the multiple responses were very, very rare. It's not about dialogue engine capabilities, it's about how this engine is used. I just hope that the number of occasions on which the PC is given a list of well-written lines to choose from will be higher this time.

Balor

Arcane
Btw, about the interview article, notice the:
I'll probably buy Oblivion for the construction set, if nothing else.
So, again, a lot of people will be buying the Oblvion for sake of better CS.
I think it's worthy to remind that Morrowind's dialogue system was capable of all that
Exactly! All this was avalable in MW, but was almost never used.
However, it was really awkward, too. Due to the fact was never really used, it wasn't given any polish, I'd wager.
So, having all those nifty stuff does not guarantee gaving superb quests... it can be just dead weight.
Modders did utilize that often enough, though :).
I hope, since it's said to be improved, it will be used even more often, and to make better dialogues&stuff.
I'm not a dialgue/quest type, though.
I prefer to mess with global stuff like gameplay mechanics in whole... perhaps I have delusions of grandeur :).
Quests get completed, reward items, no matter how cool, get forgotten... but you'll be reminded of my Herbalism each time you activate a plant, or cast a spell in case of my One Power... of don't train your skills in case of Leveling.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Some of the dialog-related stuff I spoke of was available in Morrowind, but it has been greatly expanded for Oblivion.

Also in terms of customization, don't forget that you have access via gamesettings to EVERY SINGLE FORMULA in the game. You may not be able to add new attributes, skills or stats, but you can dramatically change how they affect the game. But you know all that already :)

Twinfalls

Erudite
angler said:
Just something I found interesting... Morrowind could have been a whole lot more in the way of interesting NPCs, quests, and closer to Daggerfall. Seems that not everyone on the team liked Morrowind's direction...
http://til.gamingsource.net/interviews/douglasgoodall.shtml#PartI

That is a very interesting interview, well spotted!

Some extracts:

Douglas Goodall:
The thing that surprised me the most was also what disappointed me the most: procedural content. Arena and Daggerfall had more in common with random games (Rogue) than with traditional RPGs (Ultima et al.). Arena and Daggerfall were way ahead of their time, perhaps too far ahead of their time. I felt Morrowind was a step backwards in some ways.

I was also disappointed with the main quest in Morrowind. Frankly, the main quest never made sense to me, and I felt it contradicted too much existing lore. I couldn't get emotionally involved in the main quest or discern the motivations of the key players.
Could you enumerate a few of the design decisions that you disagreed with?

Douglas Goodall:
I didn't like the combat at all. I won't claim that the "move the mouse to control your sword" combat of Arena and Daggerfall was perfect, but at least it felt interactive. Morrowind's combat was too simplified, too automatic.

I liked the dialogue system on paper, but in practice I think it makes it too hard for players to develop their characters (in a roleplaying sense). I don't like "putting words in the player's mouth," which is what all but the simplest dialogue choices require. But when playing more traditional RPGs, I noticed that I connected with my character more when I had to choose different dialogue responses. Am I playing a goody two shoes? A greedy bastard? Do I always choose the sarcastic response, even if it gets me in trouble? Light side or dark side? Lawful good or chaotic evil? Paladin, Fire Mage, or Mercenary? I felt Morrowind lacked even binary character development choices. I could be very good in Morrowind, and I could be very bad in Morrowind, but I rarely had the chance to tell anyone about it. The game didn't react to me being good or bad, except when I was caught committing a crime.

And he's not afraid to point the finger at Ken Rolston, either. Good on him, it's a relief to finally read some dissent from Bethesda itself, saying all the very same things we have been.

Chefe

Erudite
My favorite thing from that interview with Goodall was that he wanted to implement NPCs that would betray you. How fucking cool would that be?

Twinfalls

Erudite
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Some of the dialog-related stuff I spoke of was available in Morrowind, but it has been greatly expanded for Oblivion.

But does the stuff that has been expanded on give you that greater 'connection' with your character, which Douglas Goodall pointed out above was so lacking? You've spoken of the condition system excluding/including topics, and the option of some distinct (ie non-topic) player responses. More of the latter is what's needed, surely. Let's face it, nothing can give you that 'fleshing out the character' more than well written distinct dialogue. Are there more distinct, non-topic player dialogue initiators as well this time?

Twinfalls

Erudite
angler said:
My favorite thing from that interview with Goodall was that he wanted to implement NPCs that would betray you. How fucking cool would that be?

It's a little saddening to read that interview. He's someone people like us (old-school TES fans) would have benefitted from still being there. He's got that humble politeness and decency that seems to be a Bethesda thing, but he clearly thinks Morrowind was a real disappointment, and doesn't hold much hope for the next one, since the same people (Todd and Ken) are in charge.

Drakron

Arcane
But it looked to be 2 vs 1 and that is not good.

I have no doubt Oblivion will be a success, a XBox 360 success since besides FF XI (a old MMORPG) and whatever comes from those guys in Japan that MS set up (and truth be told, what I seen so far is generic JRPG) is pretty much what Oblivion is against, BioWare appears to have a Xbox 360 game in line but after JE ... and I dont put much hopes into Fable 2, I doubt project Ego can be put on "the next generation" consoles.

But Oblivion success will just make things worst, developers will look at that and think its the way and even if I not against a more a "alive" world with pretty shinny graphics it sould not be at the expense of everything else that defines a RPG, perhaps RPG reviewers will weight Oblivion against Morrowind in relation to RPG elements and not grpahics ... but I doubt that.

Twinfalls

Erudite
I wonder whether one of the major problems we have is a very serious difference between us (the type who post here) and the 'new generation' of 'rpg' gamers (young, big purchasing power, big TES board presence). That would be - we read. It's a generalisation, of course there are many exceptions, but I have a horrible feeling it is generally accurate to say that so many kids now do not read. Sure, they do the reading that's required for their homework, etc, but far fewer now derive their imaginative sustenance from books. It's been replaced by a fully-formed audio-visual experiental thing, this 'you are there' that they get from GTA et al. This is why they will prefer NPCs who walk around a lot, rather than who say distinct, interesting things, as being 'full of life'.....

Balor

Arcane
You may not be able to add new attributes, skills or stats, but you can dramatically change how they affect the game.
Ah-oh. So, it's official now - no new skills or stats in Oblivion too.
Ok, no matter. I've pretty much gotten arond that anyway in my Levelling. It's only a matter of the skill now showing in the stats now, which can be duplicated by having a 'skill scroll', that would list your new skills and it's values.
I think, I can try and cooperate with Galsian (if I'll find enough strength to mod after all those bummers) to make a completely alternate character system that would be compatible with new skills (any variety) to boot.
Btw, I'm thinking that, in fact, it can be possble to make daggers and swords be separate skills.. at least for player.
Just detect weapon type (it was possible in MW, hopefully it will be possible in Oblivion), if it's dagger - store skill progress in one variable, if it's a sword - in other. If you'll equip a sword after you'll rise your blade skill with dagger - the progress will be reverted by setskill... and vice versa.
We'll see how it turns out...
I think I'll go and duplicate that post in CS forum where it belongs, heh.

Also, hmm.
About game settings.
Does that mean we'll be able to alter them 'on the fly'? I mean, in game, with scripts?
That was impossible in Morrowind.

Athame

Novice
MrSmileyFaceDude said:

Good to know.

MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Also in terms of customization, don't forget that you have access via gamesettings to EVERY SINGLE FORMULA in the game. You may not be able to add new attributes, skills or stats, but you can dramatically change how they affect the game. But you know all that already :)

Nope, didn't know that.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Twinfalls said:
angler said:

It's a little saddening to read that interview. He's someone people like us (old-school TES fans) would have benefitted from still being there. He's got that humble politeness and decency that seems to be a Bethesda thing, but he clearly thinks Morrowind was a real disappointment, and doesn't hold much hope for the next one, since the same people (Todd and Ken) are in charge.

Interesting the impressions of someone people can get from an interview :) Doug clearly outlines the disagreements he had with the Morrowind leads, and so I think you need to bear that in mind as you read or you're doing yourself a disservice. He is not attempting to be objective (not that I think he should be.)

Oh and Ken's not the only designer, and Todd isn't a designer at all. There are a couple folks back from the Daggerfall days, a few from Morrowind and some newer faces including as you know Emil Pagliarulo, who worked on Thief & Thief 2. Doug left shortly after Morrowind shipped and obviously hasn't been privy to anything that's happened since then, so you should remember that he cannot speak with any authority on the directions the design team have taken since his departure. As he says, he doesn't know any more than any other fans. He also mentions that he never played Tribunal or Bloodmoon, which many feel had better written quests than most of Morrowind.

Good find though, I'd been wondering what he'd been up to the past 3 years :)

Twinfalls

Erudite
Cool! Who are the people back from Daggerfall?

I do wish the designers agreed with him on things like for eg the conversion of an alien Cyrodiil into the Roman Empire. It looks from screenshots that this will remain, whereas I'd have loved to see a totally weird and new Cyrodiil and Cyrodiilians, rather than skirt wearing Romans. Get the imagination going - you know...

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Doug left shortly after Morrowind shipped and obviously hasn't been privy to anything that's happened since then, so you should remember that he cannot speak with any authority on the directions the design team have taken since his departure.
Err... the departure of Douglas is one of my (our?) main gripes. His ideas didn't make it into Morrowind and that was just saddening. As it's been pointed out, Daggerfall, compared to today's RPGs is STILL ahead of its time and kills 100% of the RPGs shipped in 2005 in terms of freedom, choices and gameplay mechanics, including Oblivion. Daggerfall was a game with a soul which is still trapped in there, the soul of freeform gameplay and great decisions and of developers with great ideas. Consoles and dumb kids weren't a problem back then so they didn't need to over simplify their titles.
Doug brought up MANY good points in that interview, it doesn't matter if the add-ons for Morrowind improved the original game. They came too late and added too little.

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Err... Doug joined in the middle of development and wanted to change everything, and left right after the game shipped because things didn't go his way. Now, if he'd been on from the beginning, and not after most of the design and development work on the game's quests and systems hadn't already been nailed down, he probably would have been able to effect more change. But that's not what happened.

Pr()ZaC

Scholar
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
Err... Doug joined in the middle of development and wanted to change everything, and left right after the game shipped because things didn't go his way. Now, if he'd been on from the beginning, and not after most of the design and development work on the game's quests and systems hadn't already been nailed down, he probably would have been able to effect more change. But that's not what happened.
What about the rest of the Daggerfall team? Did they just accepted to build Morrowind the way it has shipped?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
MrSmileyFaceDude said:
... and Todd isn't a designer at all...
We know. He's just a dumbass with a vision

There are a couple folks back from the Daggerfall days...
[sarcastic] What about LeFay and Peterson? Are they back? [/sarcastic]

interview with Ted Peterson

Q: And which have been those you enjoyed more working on?

Daggerfall was without question the hardest game I’ve ever worked on. The fun in working on it was more intellectual -- we really felt we were doing something new and exciting. Added to that, we had a huge fan base from Arena, and there’s nothing like the feeling that you’re working on something people can’t wait to play.

Q: Well then, let’s get to the beginning of the TES experience. Arena. The awards this masterpiece won were truly deserved. Never before had an RPG boasted so much freedom in such a huge world and with a First Person interface. What was your role in the development?

I was one of two designers on it, the other being Vijay Lakshman, who along with Julian LeFay really spear-headed the initial development of the series. Up to that time, Bethesda had never done a role-playing game, only action games like the Terminator series and sports title like Wayne Gretzky Hockey. I remember talking to the guys at SirTech who were doing Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant at the time, and them literally laughing at us for thinking we could do it. Thinking back seven or eight years ago, I remember primarily writing the quests for the game, laying out the dungeons, writing dialogue, coming up with damage systems with Vijay. He was the lead designer -- I was more of the grunt.

Q: What was the main inspiration behind the the first TES chapter?

Julian, Vijay, and I were all long-time pen-and-paper role-players, and fans of the Looking Glass Ultima Underworld series, which was certainly our main inspiration. There was another game that came out while we were working on Arena called “Legends of Valour,” which was a free-form first-person perspective game that took place in a single city. It got pretty pitiful reviews and not many people bought it, but I really had fun with it. It’s completely forgotten nowadays, but I probably logged more hours playing it than any other game.

Arena, though, was intended as being an action game with a little bit of role-playing on the side. The initial idea was that there was a series of tournaments in arena, and your character fought in a team to win the coveted title against other teams. A story developed that there was an evil wizard named Jagar Tharn who you could only fight once you made it to the final tournament in the Imperial City. Along the way you could do side-quests which were more role-playing in nature. Eventually during the development, the tournaments became less important and the side-quests became more. We eventually dropped the whole tournament idea altogether, and just focused on the quests and the dungeon-delving.

In the end, we had a game that almost didn’t resemble our original idea at all. It was really a hard-core role-playing game, but we had already done the advertising and printed up boxes with the name “Arena.” Someone came up with the idea that the Empire of Tamriel, because it was so violent, had been nicknamed the Arena. That explained, kinda awkwardly I guess, why there was no arena combat in a game named Arena.

I think Vijay was the guy who tacked on the surtitle “The Elder Scrolls.” I don’t think he knew what the hell it meant any more than we did, but the opening voice-over was changed to “It has been foretold in the Elder Scrolls ...”

Q: The best part of developing it?

Arena didn’t have quite as speedy a schedule as Terminator Rampage had, but it was still amazing how what I’d write up as a quest or draw (in Dpaint!) as a dungeon quickly turned into reality. It was on such a huge scale that we had to work in broad strokes and the smallest adjustment would have massive consequences to the world. I mean, we were creating a continent. Developing Arena was like playing one of those God games like Civilization.

Q: The worst part?

At the end of development, we missed our Christmas deadline, which is really serious for a small developer/publisher like Bethesda Softworks. We released in the doldrums of March, which is disastrous. That, coupled with the fact that the distributors discovered we had essentially not made the arena combat game we said we were making, meant we initially shipped something like 3,000 units of the game. Even the Terminator: 2029 add-on that I made shipped more than that. We were sure we had screwed the company and we’d go out of business. Month by month, though, people kept buying it, hearing about it word of mouth, and after a while, it turned out we had a minor “cult” hit.

Q: Things you would have loved to do differently, but that were limited by technology/budget/release date?

In hindsight, it would have been nice to make the cities more distinctive, but we had to reuse so many assets to populate a continent. Also, we had no idea that side quests were going to be so popular, that people would be running around doing quests for kings instead of following the linear progression of dungeon to dungeon to defeat Jagar Tharn. I don’t remember how many side-quests I wrote, but it couldn’t have been more than two or three dozen. So it got pretty repetitive.

That, and the pressure to get the game out quickly meant that we didn’t have much time to beta test. I think that aside from those of us who played the game regularly just to make it, we had just two beta testers. Thus, Arena was released very buggy, which didn’t help Bethesda’s reputation for quality products. And, unfortunately, it didn’t help later when Daggerfall was released very bug-ridden.

Q: In the end, give us your overall comment on Arena, in relation to the CRPGs that were published at the time.

It was certainly derivative of a lot of games. Our experience system was straight out of Dungeons and Dragons and the Goldbox games from SSI -- kill the monster and get experience points. Between the influences of Ultima Underworld and Legends of Valour, we weren’t doing anything too new. We just did it bigger. Much, much bigger.

On the other hand, I think because it was essentially a simpler game than something like Daggerfall, frinstance, it was probably more successful in its aims. There’s a good amount of argument between fans about which was the better game, Arena or Daggerfall. Since I was the lead designer on Daggerfall, of course, I tend to side with my baby, but I can certainly see the argument from the other perspective.

Q: Then came Daggerfall in 1996. Being the Lead Game Designer, I suppose you are one of the people we must thank the most for giving us so many hours of entertainment. The game had huge goals, considering the state of RPGs at the time. What changes from Arena was on top of your “To Do” list?

In terms of gameplay, the goal was to create the feeling of playing a pen-and-paper role-playing game, like Dungeon & Dragons or Vampire: The Masquerade. We wanted to give the player absolute freedom to create whatever kind of character you wanted to make, and go off on any adventure you pleased. We wanted you to be able to be the sterling knight if you wanted or an utterly evil creature of the underworld. Compared to Arena, and the single plotline that would bring you to that most cliched of all role-playing conventions, slaying the wicked wizard, we wanted a complex series of adventures leading to multiple resolutions.

In terms of setting, I really wanted to make Tamriel less generic. In Arena, we had really created a world that could have been Greyhawk or any of a number of generic fantasy worlds. We decided to focus in on one area of the map and really figure out the history and the character of the place. By contrast to Arena, we wanted our villains and heroes to have more well-rounded personalities. The Underking, for example, who had been introduced in Arena, was not going to be a simple boogie man intent on evil for no reason at all. The idea that he had given his heart to help Tiber Septim conquer the Empire and had been betrayed made him more sympathetic and, I think, more interesting.

Q: The games and literature that influenced you when writing it?

Daggerfall was written continuously over a course of two years, so whatever I -- or Julian -- was reading or playing at the time probably had some influence. I think, for example, “The Man in the Iron Mask” by Alexandre Dumas influenced the quest where the player had to find the missing Prince of Sentinel. The pen-and-paper game “Vampire: The Masquerade” influenced the idea of vampire tribes throughout the region. We actually ran a Dungeons & Dragons campaign while creating the backstory for the game, some of the stories of which ended up in quests and books.

I don’t think any computer games influenced Daggerfall very much, except for Arena, of course, which had been influenced by Ultima Underworld and Legends of Valour like I said. Computer role-playing games weren’t very interesting while we were working on Daggerfall. I can remember playing the latest King’s Quest, Doom, and Sam and Max Hit the Road while working on it, but I can’t say they had any profound impact on the story or design.

Q: One cool feature in Daggerfall createdly directly from you?

The character creation system, probably. Julian and I had decided to go with a skill-based advancement system rather than Arena’s kill-the-monster-and-advance system, so each of the classes had been assigned different skill sets. Given that, it made sense to allow players to create their own classes assigning their own skills. Then, thinking about GURPS, we added additional bonuses and special abilities and disabilities that the player could assign.

I’ve always enjoyed character creation systems in games of all kinds. I don’t like playing Gamma World, but even now when I’m bored, I’ll sometimes roll the dice and see what kind of mutations my character would develop if I actually wanted to play the game. I know. I’m weird.

Q: The developers of Morrowind said theat MW will be what DF should have been if the technology had not been an issue at the time. And indeed the second installment of the TES series contains tons of unused stuff in its CD. The thing you wanted to implement the most, that didn’t make it in?

I could go on and on. All of those rumors you hear about in the game, that this faction is warring with that faction, was meant to have real world consequences. You were originally going to be able to go and see a city under siege, but it was an impossibly complex task to work out. No one wanted all the important NPCs to be sprites who just yabbered their quests and never developed a relationship with the player. And definitely, to me, most regrettably, we fell short on the multiple resolutions of the game. All that lead up to who you give the token to, and things remain the same in the Iliac Bay.

And, of course, dragons. Sigh.

Q: A funny event you remember during your presence in this software house?

And then there was the rating system, which is more black humor than anything else. Between Arena and Daggerfall, the United States Congress, led by Senator -- nearly vice-president -- Joe Lieberman, had decided that we needed to have a rating system on computer games to save the kids. I got a questionaire for Daggerfall which was obviously made for much simpler games. It asked questions like “Is there nudity in this game?” “Yes.” “Is there bloodshed?” “Yes.” “Can an innocent person be killed?” “Yes.” “Can there be a reward for killing an innocent person?” “Yes.” We got slapped with the worst rating for a game, needless to say. And later, Lieberman listed us as being one of the top ten worst corrupters of children ... Of course, I’m sure that sold a few units.

Q: Bethesda surely left a mark in the RPG community with these two titles. Where do you think computer RPGs are heading to, after the Baldur’s Gate Renaissance, and what is the influence of the TES games on this evolution?

It seems like they’re heading in a lot of different directions, which is a good thing. Almost everyone last year was working on a persistant on-line world, and everyone else was working on a Diablo or Baldur’s Gate clone. And then there’s Bethesda Softworks, doing something almost entirely different -- as usual.

Before all the on-line games like EverQuest and the huge world games like Baldur’s Gate, I would have said that the TES games’ only influence on CRPGs was for developers not to do it the way we did it. Diablo came out a little after Daggerfall and sold something like five times as many copies. It seemed pretty evident with all the copycats of Diablo and none of Daggerfall that the lesson was that simple dungeon crawls was where the smart money was. I talked to Richard Garriott while he was making Ultima Online, and he said that everyone on the title was playing Daggerfall, which isn’t surprising since the on-line games by their nature have to have a non-linear atmosphere. So I guess that we have had an influence, though I wouldn’t say it was major by any stretch. At least, now. But things look to be changing.

Q: Talking of Morrowind, you are probably interested in its development given your experience in the TES games. What is the feature of this game you like the most?

The construction kit is definitely the most obviously exciting part of the game. I think I like it from a different point-of-view than most fans, namely that if the tools of creating the game are user-friendly enough to be generally released, then the designers working on Morrowind must have a lot of freedom to create the main game. If they can easily crank out quests, then there will be a lot more variety than there was in Arena and Daggerfall. And you’re talking to someone who gets very cranky when people talk about the repetitive nature of Daggerfall, since I know for a fact that I wrote hundreds of quests for the game, and Bruce Nesmith and some others wrote many more.

Personally, though, I enjoy hearing about how the world of Tamriel keeps evolving, becoming more and more distinctive. The screenshots and concept drawings are wild, a huge change from the simple Olde English or Arabic style houses and castles in Daggerfall. I’m not very creative when it comes to architecture, certainly in comparison. The vocabulary is becoming more exotic too -- everyone’s calling Dark Elves “Dunmer” and Dwarves “Dwemer.” It’s fun from the point-of-view of someone who thinks of himself as one of the parents of the TES games to see how the kid is doing while you’re away.
Here is a good question: if Bethesda has no respect for their own property, what are the odds that they would have any respect for the one created by others, i.e. the Fallout setting?

Twinfalls

Erudite

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/r/ ... ry.php(que)id=120732

Indeed, one of the things that strikes you about Morrowind is the oddness and peculiarity of its setting; it has all the ingredients of a familiar, generic fantasy world - elves, dwarves, monsters, swords and sorcery - and yet doesn't feel familiar or generic. This was Rolston's intention: "From Glorantha (PnP RPG), I took inspiration from a resolutely nothing-like-Tolkien set of cultural and religious conflicts in the fantasy setting. And then from LARP (live action roleplay) game design, I took the fundamental underpinnings of social, religious and political faction conflicts that give depth to the stories and characters in Morrowind."

Oh really, Ken? No credit to the writers of the pre-existing lore?

NOD NOD, WINK WINK
Bearing in mind that final comment, one suspects that Rolston may have been behind some of Morrowind's quirkier aspects. The man himself remains tight-lipped when it comes to this subject. "There's a wealthy, alcoholic talking mudcrab in the islands on the south-east coast. What's more, many people have savoured the whimsical allusion to Icarus that plunges from the skies and crashes to the ground in front of you. I absolutely forbid our designers to allow any humorous nonsense like that into the final version of the game," he says with a wry smile. "I have no idea how it got past my ever-vigilant editorial delete key."

Youre a barrel of laughs, Ken. A barrel.

"We're always trying to create that PnP experience with the Elder Scrolls," adds Todd Howard. "So Ken was instrumental in how we set up and executed this freeform game where you could really roleplay, while also being challenged and entertained. He's brilliant and insane at the same time."

Mmm. Only all the roleplaying mechanics were already in place, but were reduced in scope and effectiveness.

So Morrowind may well turn out to be one of a kind, which suits its creators. "I loved it," says Rolston. "For all its flaws and blemishes, it's a classic monster whose like shall never be seen again. It was too big, too grand in conception, too overwhelming in scope to ever be produced. It was a miracle."

:P

MrSmileyFaceDude

Bethesda Game Studios
Developer
Petersen wrote some books that are included in Oblivion. I have no idea where LeFay is. Only a very small number of people who worked on Daggerfall were still there for Morrowind. In fact, looking at Daggerfall's credits, only four people on that team now work for Bethesda, and two of them were not here for Morrowind. Daggerfall came out a long time ago -- teams change, and this company has changed so much in just the past 6 years -- even since Morrowind shipped -- that it's nearly unrecognizable.

I have no idea where you get the idea from Ted's quoted interview that we "disrespect" our own property. The TES Lore fans seem to be pretty happy with Morrowind in that respect, and nobody who's not involved in development of Oblivion knows how the lore has changed -- or not -- for Oblivion, so it's impossible for an outsider to comment about that.

As to the comments about Ken Rolston -- prior to joining Bethesda Softworks and working on Redguard, he designed and wrote about pen & paper RPG's for many years.
Link
Link
He's not exactly new to this whole "game design" thing.

And for the umpteenth time, Oblivion and Elder Scrolls have NOTHING TO DO WITH FALLOUT. Elder Scrolls isn't Fallout, Fallout isn't Elder Scrolls. Get it into your brain -- we know they're very, very different games. Jeeze! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom