Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I'm playing Sorcerian from 1990. Why do I do this to myself?

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The other day I was thinking of this game I used to play when I was a kid. I remembered I could make fighters, mages, dwarves (who were basically fighters), and elves (who were basically mages). And you could give them professions, and you made a big party but only 4 could go on an adventure at a time. The others would stay back for 1 year while the party went on an adventure, and whoever stayed back would earn an income and get stat changes based on profession.

The game was Sorcerian as I found out after describing all that on Reddit's Tip of My Joystick. The game was originally released in 1987, but released for IBM-compatible PCs in 1990. I played on my family's 486 SX 25 MHz running DOS 5.0.

sorcerian-11.png

That game was insanely difficult and I never beat a single level as a kid. And I'm replaying it now with the benefit of walkthroughs and let's plays. And the game is still unbelievably difficult.

It's not difficult due to any need for technical skill, really. It's difficult because there's no way you can possibly figure out on your own who you need to talk to in what order to beat a level. There's seriously one room in a level where the guide says "Go in and press all of the levers and read all of the notes, and go in and out of the room and do it again several times, and eventually one of the levers will move." And there are items on the ground that you can't see. You just pick them up if you happen to walk over them. And it's buggy with levels that you can't beat because events didn't register if you didn't do them in the unknown and arbitrary order assumed by the developers.

Also, it's just not a great game. There's no overarching plot. The repeatable adventures are entirely contained in their own individual levels, with stupid plots, and no connection to the rest of the world. There's no story reward for doing anything in the game. And the game is drawn in crude 16-color graphics at a time when 256 was the standard. Really, any way you look at it, Sorcerian is just not very good.

Just for comparison, Ultima VI came out the same year, with 256 colors drawn beautifully across my VGA monitor. There were interesting characters you could interact with, and tons of secrets, and caves, and tunnels, and towns, all on the same huge map. There was interesting lore that was relevant to the game. And there was even a talking mouse that would join your party, and although her strength was too low to wield much in the way of weapons and armor, you could still give her rings and wands and make her a tiny magically enhanced harbinger of death.

So why am I playing Sorcerian? (And why am I playing it when there are so many better, more recent games to play?) There is something compelling behind the terrible gameplay. I really want to get more XP to level-up my guys. And I want to find more treasure with more enchantments to unlock more spells.

Do you ever find yourself playing old games? Crappy games? Have you ever discovered something really compelling in an otherwise bad game? That's something that I find myself doing now, and I've just become aware of it.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
My similar guilty pleasure is getting the lads round, booting up the Retro console, and laughing at some of the old toss games.

Hit The Ice, American Gladiators, Dark Castle, Road Fighter etc. All good for a giggle.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Do you ever find yourself playing old games? Crappy games? Have you ever discovered something really compelling in an otherwise bad game? That's something that I find myself doing now, and I've just become aware of it.
I extensively played old games all the time and almost in every, even bad, game there was something worthwhile and interesting. Take for example Spacewrecked
Federation_Quest_1_-_B_S_S__Jane_Seymour-4.jpg

Shitton of great ideas, from assembling and programming your own robots to destructible floor wrapped in obnoxious controls.

Xenomorph
Xenomorph-4.jpg

Treasure trove of unique and rare mechanics and so on.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Reminds me a bit of playing through the original Ys I lately. Although I wouldn't call it a bad game, it was kind of refreshing in how off-kilter the quest/world design was in the game. Bump combat is also fun for a fast paced short game like that. I feel like a lot of modern RPGs (both CRPGs and JRPGS) have settled in on what RPG mechanics/design are supposed to be and we don't get wild variety like we used to.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I have an irrational fondness for super hydlide for the genesis. It's pretty awful. I never even played it as a kid. I don't understand why I like it.

Ysaye

Arbiter
Reminds me a bit of playing through the original Ys I lately. Although I wouldn't call it a bad game, it was kind of refreshing in how off-kilter the quest/world design was in the game. Bump combat is also fun for a fast paced short game like that. I feel like a lot of modern RPGs (both CRPGs and JRPGS) have settled in on what RPG mechanics/design are supposed to be and we don't get wild variety like we used to.

Yes I agree - Nihon falcom and other similar developers of the day just threw caution to the wind and tried all manner of weird systems and mechanics that just wouldn't get tried this day and age with the prime purpose of find a moment where something was fun. I still have WTF moments with games like brandish (and the ones mentioned above) but also moments where you go "yeah this is kind of... fun".

Dyskolos

Cipher
I remember playing my uncle's copy of Sorcerian on the hand-me-down pc he gave me in the early 90s. I know I had some of his notes with it but yeah I never got past anything at all and soon gave up. I've never had the desire to try it again but it sits in that zone of memory that made RPGs so much richer a playground for imagination than something like Mario where the objective and necessary actions were so much clearer - I think I just assumed it was a system so beyond me that I'd have to age into being able to deal with it, like books that were too tough to read.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
I remember playing my uncle's copy of Sorcerian on the hand-me-down pc he gave me in the early 90s. I know I had some of his notes with it but yeah I never got past anything at all and soon gave up. I've never had the desire to try it again but it sits in that zone of memory that made RPGs so much richer a playground for imagination than something like Mario where the objective and necessary actions were so much clearer - I think I just assumed it was a system so beyond me that I'd have to age into being able to deal with it, like books that were too tough to read.
Yeah, I think you either have to age into it, or suffer from whatever mental defect forces me back to games like this. I have no idea how people figured out this game in the days before the internet. Hidden doors, hidden triggers, invisible objects, map changes, and large random number of tries before something works make this game inaccessible to all but the most determined.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Sorcerian is best experienced on original platforms rather than the crappy Western edition.

I have an irrational obsession with early 3D games and anything remotely related to sci-fi and cyberpunk, because elves are gay as hell.
Also old RPGs, mostly because RPGs in the 80's and sometimes even 90's were a wild west of ideas without any clear standards and conventions. Developers used to make whatever their imagination drew when someone tried to explain them what is an RPG.
Sometimes this led to original/interesting/unorthodox mechanics that would work well today if someone bothered to develop them further.

Exhuminator

Arcane
Do you ever find yourself playing old games?"
All the time. I even created a silly forum about it.

Crappy games?
I sometimes finish less than stellar vintage games purely out of scholarly interest.

Have you ever discovered something really compelling in an otherwise bad game?
Panty shots have gotten me through some otherwise cesspools, so yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom