Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Imagine picking the n64 over the ps1 as a kid LOL

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Easily the worst console in existence, I concur. Plus, people tend to overrate the transition to 3d of certain 2d genres. SM64 is not a legit replacement for actually good platforming.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
People always present PS1 vs N64 debate as "quantity vs quality" when in reality PS1 had both on its side. True, N64 had influential titles that would achieve things like define how 3D platforming would work in the future, but when you get down to the games themselves you were basically working with dozen or so worthwhile purchases.

In addition to the issue with the quality/quantity of the games, I think the N64 was the console with the worst video signal quality ever. It's just fucking garbage - in addition to the horrible bilinear smearshit filter in every game, they actually had a hardware-induced horizontal blur in the video circuitry itself. It was simply dogshit, even on CRT sets at the time.

However, I did have a ton of fun with Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. Growing up in arcades, not having load times was also great. Overall, it was a garbage console with a few cool games.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Whenever I think of my PS1, all I remember is all the hours I spent playing Xcom: Ufo Defense for it. Great days, I have no idea if it was a decent port or anything, but I loved it and played it to death. Couldn't get quality like that on the N64.

Machocruz

Arcane
I got a cheap N64 at the end of that generation. Perfect Dark, Doom 64 and the Zelda games were gold and worth the price I paid, everything else was mediocre to ass.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I miss my N64. I loved the games I had for it, like Star Fox, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, and Banjo Kazooie. I also had Mario, Superman, and Turok 2, but I'm not so fond of those (Turok was decent, I guess).

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Bunch of fucking poorfags in here could only afford 1 or the other. Get both, enjoy all the games, peasants.
I owned both, N64 was still a pile of shit whose sole purpose in life was to play smash bros with friends. And maybe a little split screen GoldenEye.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I did.

:negative:

Well, Mario 64 was pretty good. There was another N64 game that I liked, can't remember it right now.

GoldenEye is still loved for hipster credentials, but Germans could only get it, if they had friends south of the border.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Bunch of fucking poorfags in here could only afford 1 or the other. Get both, enjoy all the games, peasants.

I didn't any of them, but I did use emulators. :smug:

People always present PS1 vs N64 debate as "quantity vs quality" when in reality PS1 had both on its side. True, N64 had influential titles that would achieve things like define how 3D platforming would work in the future, but when you get down to the games themselves you were basically working with dozen or so worthwhile purchases.

Not only was the N64 the more powerful in terms of hardware, it was also the best one in terms of games available for it (because it was the one with the greater quantity of great/very good games).

I did. Only issue was lack of (j)rpgs and not being able to easily pirate, really. The n64 has some amazing games and I don't regret it one bit, especially since emulating it is harder than winning a marathon against all kenyans apparently.

at least it wasn't a sega saturn ayyyy

mushaden

Scholar

Surely the top 12 games on N64 were miles ahead of the top 12 games on PSX. Maybe I'm biased because I was that kid and I haven't played much PSX, but just looking at lists of the best games it seems obvious.

Falksi

Arcane
I had both, but the N64 was worth owning just for Goldeneye tbh and to a lesser degree Shadows of The Empire.

Does anyone remember when they started putting PS1's in nightclubs? That was fucking weird. Off your face, surrounded by fanny, and Crash Bandicoots there spinning round like a twat.

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter

Surely the top 12 games on N64 were miles ahead of the top 12 games on PSX. Maybe I'm biased because I was that kid and I haven't played much PSX, but just looking at lists of the best games it seems obvious.

Castlevania Symphony of the Night is better than anything the N64 has to offer

and...

Crash Bandicoot >>> Mario 3d

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Quite surprised at the love for Perfect Dark and Goldeneye around here. Playing FPS with controllers is cancerous today and it was cancerous no less 20 years ago. Even as a consoletard I knew that much back then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom