Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Imagine picking the n64 over the ps1 as a kid LOL

Silva

Arcane
I did too.

Insta-loved it because Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Then hated it after I met PS1 at a friend's house.

Falksi

Arcane
Quite surprised at the love for Perfect Dark and Goldeneye around here. Playing FPS with controllers is cancerous today and it was cancerous no less 20 years ago. Even as a consoletard I knew that much back then.

I actually think that the N64 controller worked a treat on those games back in t'day.

Thinking back it felt great to be playing using the analogue stick rather than the original PS1 8-way d-pad.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Castlevania Symphony of the Night is better than anything the N64 has to offer

and...

Crash Bandicoot >>> Mario 3d
To SOTN and Crash I'll add Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Resident Evil 2, Ape Escape, Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy Tactics, Wipeout, Syphon Filter.. and the various ports of great arcades like G-Darius.

I feel unless you care for nothing but the puzzle focus of the zelda series or collectathon platformers there wasn't much to love on the N64.
I liked Nintendo games best when they were 2d and unlike many who think they pioneered the passage of classic genres to 3d I lost interest in them when they made the transition. Yoshi's Island or SMB3 > ANY 3d mario, ever. Still valid in 2019.
Zelda Ocarina of Time made me yawn so much I never actually finished it. And I was a huge fan of Link's Awakening on gameboy. Long after I'd even forgot Nintendo still made home consoles, I'd still care about their portable a bit.

Saturn was superior to both, in the past I thougth they're equal with PSX but reconsidered.

Virtua Fighter > Tekken > 2 or 3 horrible N64 3D fighting games
NiGHTS > >Mario 64 >>>> Crap Bandipoop
X-Men vs Street Fighter and every other 2D Capcom arcade perfect port >>>> horrible PSX ports >>>>> N64 non-existent ports
Sega Really >>>> Ridge Racer
UMK3 was also a Saturn exclusive.

And I don't even mentioned lots of obscure Japan imports, many of multiplats PSX games are also available on Saturn with similar or better quality, PSX is superior only if you put emphasis on JRPGs and shovelware trash like sport games that were being released years after console's death (FIFA 2005, lulz).

BTW there was a great commercial done by Polish Saturn distributor back in the day (Lanser) which nailed both PSX and N64 flaws:

Sega4.jpg
Sega3.jpg

Last edited:

majorsoccer

Prospernaut
Shitposter
Saturn was superior to both, in the past I thougth they're equal but reconsidered.

Virtua Fighter > Tekken > 2 or 3 horrible N64 3D fighting games
NiGHTS > >Mario 64 >>>> Crap Bandipoop
X-Men vs Street Fighter and every other 2D Capcom arcade perfect port >>>> horrible PSX ports >>>>> N64 non-existent ports
Sega Really >>>> Ridge Racer
UMK3 was also a Saturn exclusive.

And I don't even mentioned lots of obscure Japan imports, many of multiplats PSX games are also available on Saturn with similar or better quality, PSX is superior only if you put emphasis on JRPGs and shovelware trash like sport games that were being released years after console's death (FIFA 2005, lulz).

BTW there was a great commercial done by Polish Saturn distributor back in the day (Lanser) which nailed both PSX and N64 flaws:

Sega4.jpg
Sega3.jpg

wtf is Saturn ??

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
wtf is Saturn ??

Sega's home console of the time.

there wasn't much to love on the N64.

Super Mario 64, Master Quest, Majora's Mask, Donkey Kong Country, Resident Evil 2, F-Zero X, Aiden Chronicles (a very obscure RPG, that was unfortunately released too late in the N64 life cycle), Super Smash Bros, Star Fox 64, Banjo-Kazooie, Doom 64, GoldenEye, Paper Mario, Perfect Dark.

Metal Gear is a pretty overrated game, Tenchu 1/2 were far better.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Saturn had some good RPGs.

Shining Wisdom
Shining and the Holy Ark
Shining Force III
Dragon Force
Dragon Force II
Dark Savior

Plus some others that weren't exclusive, like Grandia and Lunar (even if the lunar games on saturn weren't the best versions).

34scell

Augur
Those jiggling pixels were pretty embarrassing, even at the time.

Yeah, but I didn't say Saturn hadn't any, just PSX jrpg offer is better overall for those who care of that genre.

N64 on the other hand was league or two behind them, it had next none 2D games, around 10 fighting games which were garbage except for Smash, Killer Instinct, MKT and War Gods, had worst interations of Nintendo brands (exception - Mario Kart 64) or just lacked of crucial ones like Metroid, it invented console shooter genre (Turok / Goldeneye) and most of all, had that awful, extremely ugly blurry filter.

After years I can say it barely surpasses 3DO - pretty underrated console btw which ended as a base for memes about some obscure, bad FMV shit.

Last edited:

Hyperion

Arcane

Shining Wisdom
Shining and the Holy Ark
Shining Force III
Dragon Force
Dragon Force II
Dark Savior

Plus some others that weren't exclusive, like Grandia and Lunar (even if the lunar games on saturn weren't the best versions).
Guardian Heroes
Mystaria: Realms of Lore (AKA Blazing Heroes)
Albert Odyssey: Legend of Eldean Remake (this wasn't too good, but still playable once)
The Legend of Oasis (honestly think i like this more than Zelda)

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Wasn't Goldeneye one of the first FPS games to implement location-based reactions to being shot? Like shooting enemies on the groin made them hold on to their nads.

It was a technological marvel, at the time.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
N64 had the only controller I ever was unable to actually use. I know it's now a meme; as far as I'm concerned, the meme is true.

That said, most of the core Nintendo properties on N64 seem pretty great -- the Zeldas, Mario, Starfox, Mario Kart, F-Zero, Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros., etc. Great console for party games, though I was never able to enjoy any.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Bunch of fucking poorfags in here could only afford 1 or the other. Get both, enjoy all the games, peasants.
Real poorfags just bought a PC. Best bang for your buck, useful.

Plus, superiority vs console peasants. Who cares about jRPGs and other console faggotry? Having both consoles is twice the decline.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I had the N64 after a fire burned up the house and we got that sweet insurance change.

GoldenEye was amazing. Before you go "wtf but PC"... I had a PC. What I didn't have was good internet. GoldenEye was very easy to play on a TV with friends and have a good time. Also, its singleplayer level design is actually very good and not at all like most things seen in that era.

Other games: Rogue Squadron & Shadow Empire. Diddy Kong Racing. Army Men Sarge's Heroes (extremely underrated game). Turok (overrated).

It also had two badass games in Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini which I think most people have forgotten. I was never even into most of the Nintendo catalogue and still liked the console.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
Wasn't Goldeneye one of the first FPS games to implement location-based reactions to being shot? Like shooting enemies on the groin made them hold on to their nads.

It was a technological marvel, at the time.
That actually bit them in the ass when they recycled large chunks of the engine for Perfect Dark, as I recall. Basically, it gave them very little "envelope" left to push. So little, in fact, that even with a cadre of industry vets able to use Nintendo's machine better than they could (Rareware microcode routinely outperformed even the oh-so-vaunted restricted microcode Nintendo only commonly shared within the company) the poor thing simply could not be pushed any farther; they never could get hi-res working well enough to be useful or multiplayer fully ironed out. The complete impracticality of hi-res mode was no great loss (several other gamedevs ran into the exact same problems with it violently murdering the framerate in their games, so the consternation was somewhat lessened by that point), but the harsh reality of a game that could reliably and routinely be brought to a single-digit framerate for an entire deathmatch simply by using a few unwise settings actually got them called on it by the gaming press and hit them square in the review-score. From a consumer point of view, you can sort of sympathize: why allow the consumer to unknowingly maneuver the game into a nigh-unplayable state in first place (if I remember rightly, there wasn't even so much as a warning, like "Hey, these settings will likely slow down your match..." or whatever)?

But you know how Rareware was with cutting content. ;)

Zer0wing

Cipher
I'd pick VGS for PS1 and UltraHLE for N64 and thick internet channel connected to a monster of a PC instead, enjoying both. :obviously:

Which frees up space for Sega Saturn and thick japanese dictonary for maximum :obviously:.

jungl

Augur
Thing is when you younger you don't give a fuck. I remember the turok rage wars game they released. That kind of had rpg elements to it. Now days who enjoys playing a deathmatch fpg against computers? You could tolerate so many more genres and shitty games the when you older and dead inside meme. Wasn't a single n64 I did not enjoy. Also it was more worth as I eventually pirated all my ps1 games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom