Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Imagine picking the n64 over the ps1 as a kid LOL

I guess it depends on what you like. If you are REALLY into Virtua Fighter and care about the quality of 2d fighting games then I guess Saturn is better. But imo overall PSX has a better selection of games a lot of them dont even have anything comparable on the saturn or N64.

Of course it depends on favourite genres but selection and variety of Saturn library is no worse than PSX. You can prefer PSX over Saturn, I've no problem with that but cannot stand when someone calls SS a failed console.

LOTS of games of various kind were released for both platforms and I can put a lists without doing additional research: Space Hulk: VotBA, Alien Trilogy, DN3D, Doom, Exhumed, MK2, MK3, MKT, Street Fighter Collection, SF Alpha 1+2+3,X-Men vs SF, Fighting Force, Blam! Machinehead, Z, C&C, Warcraft 2, Myst, Road Rash, Primal Rage, Hexen, Tomb Raider, Croc, Pandemonium, Alone in the Dark 2, Battle Arena Toshinden 1 +2 and so on...

And yes, there was Resident Evil - Saturn, a bit lower on polygons but with extra conent like battle mode or two Tyrants fight which put it above PSX counterpart.

PSX had exclusives? So does Saturn:

Virtua Fighter 1 + 2
Virtua Cop 1 + 2
Dayona USA
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
House of the Dead
Last Bronx
Panzer Dragoon 1 + 2 + Saga
Radiant Silvergun
Nanatsu Kaze No Shima Monogatari (find me anything that looks at least half as good on Sony's console)
Saturn Bomberman (best geam of whole franchise)
Quake (!)
NiGHTSL into Dreams
Sonic R
Burning Rangers
Princess Crown
Golden Axe: The Duel

Similar case is with 3DO which has lost of great gaems and shares common library with PSX/Saturn (e.g. Need for Speed, Space Hulk or Return Fire are originally 3DO titles), difference is it hasn't got a single killer that stayed exclusive.

The Decline

Arcane
Yeah I fucked up and chose the N64 over the PS1. I fixed that problem years later when I sold it and bought a PS1 and later a Saturn.

mogwaimon

Magister
Twisted Metal 2, don't EVER FORGET TWISTED METAL 2.
man I really wish Twisted Metal 2 was the new one when I got a PSX. My best friend at the time got hooked on Twisted Metal....except it was Twisted Metal 3, which was the newest one at the time. He always wanted to play that shit when we weren't doing Goldeneye or Turok or whatever and I absolutely hated it. I rented Vigilante 8 and this other low-key car battle game called Rogue Trip or something just because I wanted to get him stuck on something else since I was so sick of Twisted Metal but nope, that son of a bitch would always force us to go right back to Twisted Metal fucking 3.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hated the graphics and the loading times of the PS1 so as a kid I got the N64. I was happy. Between Banjo and Zelda I had a good time.

Later when I got a PS1 to play FF7, 8 and 9 I was shocked with how ugly the PS1 was.

Of course the N64 graphics aren't exactly pretty either.

Neither of them could hold a candle to the SNES.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
In their time the ps1 was probably a better option due to sheer amount of games you could get or pirate, n64 wins today with games that have aged much better visually and gameplay still having active communities in speedruning and emulator scene the ps1 fares much worse in this regard its games have aged like ass with clunky control schemes and much worse visuals.

Anyway transition to 3d was terrible period.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Anyway transition to 3d was terrible period.

Yeah, just like movies and CGI the problem is they went 3D too fast and too heavily. Gotta jump on that hot new tech though, it is what it is I guess. I think the N64 largely emulates better today at high-res with AA and AF applied. Still basic as hell 3D models, and the 20fps cap in Zelda fucking KILLS me, but most PS1 classics had rendered backgrounds which look terrible now.

Machocruz

Arcane

I feel it speaks volumes about the level of nostalgia glasses every time that thing makes it to a list.
How I feel about Banjo Kazooie. People call it a good 3D platformer, but I'm like "what platforming?" Running around large expanses of flat land and hopping onto another one is not platforming. I didn't beat the game, so maybe I never got to the actual platforming, but everytime I've watched a playthrough of the game, no matter what point I skip to it's more running around flat land. And I didn't think much of it no matter what genre you put it in. All those so called "collectathons" were DoA to me.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Goldeneye sux balls.

It was very fun for couch multiplayer in college. Granted shit like Quake was obviously better, but most kids I knew back then didn't have a gaming PC and couldn't mouse aim to save their lives. So we played Goldeneye, and it was fun. The controls make it unbearable now though, even for a lark.

Nathir

Liturgist
070.gif

I did...after the Sega Saturn ended. AKI wrestling games are some of the best games ever made, so I wasn't hurting over that decision. In fact that was the whole reason I got a N64 over a PlayStation. I was mostly playing PC games at that time anyways.

Had a few friends and a stepbrother that had a PSX, so I didn't miss anything on it anyways.

jungl

Augur
castlevania n64 and the sequel with the werewolf guy were actually GOOD castlevania games. The platforming was very intense the camera angles, controls honestly made the experience fun. Also enemies where a threat and actually intimidating. Frankenstein with chainsaw chase was awesome. The actual vampires in the game were also creepy fuckers you wanted to kill fast cause they can infect you. I forgot how you cured yourself but the fact you can get infected and get game over was hardcore. The mode where you save the villagers in the sequel with different characters was fun.

Despite being on a "nintendo toddler console" the n64 castlevania games were waaaay more hardcore and difficult then the rpg igavania shit. Symphony of the night was a joke only thing that was a threat in the game was spikes and that giant egyptian dog boss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom