Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Imagine picking the n64 over the ps1 as a kid LOL

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
lol

mck

Cipher
egeza0am9kf21.jpg

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Obviously the PS1 dwarfs the N64 on RPG, Adventure and Strategy games, but the perception could be a lot less negative if Nintendo had localized Shiren The Wanderer, Super Robot Wars and Animal Crossing.

Punch

aaaaaa
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Obviously the N64 is a fine console but you have to be insane (or someone who goes MUH TAKN COTROLLS over games with less than optimal input methods) to claim that the PS1 is worse than the N64... there are so many fucking games for it, such a huge variety from AAAs to Experimental semi-indie games on basically all genres. The same thing happens with the PS2 even though the big black XBOX's power feels an order of magnitude greater than the sony console.

So many games, what if they're all shit, though?

/codex

I still can't believe they got their "fans" to buy actual Nutendo-brand cardboard boxes to play with, like some 5-year-old who's been whacked with a bottle of Downy once too often.

https://labo.nintendo.com/developer-interview-part-2/why-we-decided-to-use-cardboard/

tbh apart from the meme potential, I didn't think the material would be much of an issue unless you give it to a destructive little kid and those will destroy hard plastic controllers as well (aiming at the fragile parts like cables, control stick, etc)

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
So many games, what if they're all shit, though?

/codex

I still can't believe they got their "fans" to buy actual Nutendo-brand cardboard boxes to play with, like some 5-year-old who's been whacked with a bottle of Downy once too often.

https://labo.nintendo.com/developer-interview-part-2/why-we-decided-to-use-cardboard/

tbh apart from the meme potential, I didn't think the material would be much of an issue unless you give it to a destructive little kid and those will destroy hard plastic controllers as well (aiming at the fragile parts like cables, control stick, etc)
You bought a $50 cardboard box, didn't you?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Obviously the N64 is a fine console but you have to be insane (or someone who goes MUH TAKN COTROLLS over games with less than optimal input methods) to claim that the PS1 is worse than the N64... there are so many fucking games for it, such a huge variety from AAAs to Experimental semi-indie games on basically all genres. The same thing happens with the PS2 even though the big black XBOX's power feels an order of magnitude greater than the sony console.

It's about what you're into. The games I play, the fact I am very PC gaming focused... the N64 has more exclusive stuff I care about. If you're into JRPGs or whatever it could be a very different equation. "People are into different things shocker!"

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
After you played Mario 64 and Zelda OoT it was hard to enjoy the clunky 3D action games with tank controls of the PS1.

After playing Goldeneye, the slow, stiff and unoriginal FPS games on the PS1 were impossible to go back to.

After racing in 60 fps in F-Zero X, the choppy and slow framerate of the PS1 racing games felt underwhelming.

The N64 was an incredibly flawed console with a small library of mostly bad games, but at it's best it gave players a glimpse of the future of gaming.

The Decline

Arcane
A blurry, foggy glimpse to be sure.

The N64 only held on because of a handful of decent first party titles and rabid Nintendo fans.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The N64 was an incredibly flawed console with a small library of mostly bad games, but at it's best it gave players a glimpse of the future of gaming.

Yeah, the idea of Goldeneye being impressive when Quake was out a year before it always baffled me but I agree with everything else you said. PS1 games just always felt clunky and limited to me, but N64 was more like "here are the kinds of games you'll be playing in the future, they just look ugly now."

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Obviously the PS1 dwarfs the N64 on RPG, Adventure and Strategy games,

Which nearly hits upon the reality of every post-Nintendo generation of gaming where the PC is the best platform for these inclined genres and Nintendo is the best platform for casual games.

Modron

Arcane
Pod Racer and the Extreme-g series were better racing games than f-zero. They had that nice feature of getting faster and more demanding as you got better vehicles/upgrades that if you took a month off from playing then went back to your souped up vehicles a little twitch on the joystick would send you careening into walls and you had to work yourself up to playing the higher speed again.

mushaden

Scholar
I think most people defend the console they had and played, and few have a good grasp of both.

But I feel pretty confident saying that besides the revered Gran Turismo, N64 racing blows PSX out of the water. There's a Wipeout 64.... and I'm guessing it's better simply due to the technical limitations of PSX. Same for Ridge Racer. Same for Vigilante 8, which I bet is better than Twisted Metal. Same for Destruction Derby... which I've never played and looks like shit--could name 10 N64 racers that are probably better.

I like Pod Racer and Extreme-G but F-Zero X is one of the most stylish games ever.

Poseidon00

Arcane
Everyone's mentioning all these N64 racers but nobody threw Diddy Kong Racing in there yet and i'm disappointed in all of you

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex

Yeah, the idea of Goldeneye being impressive when Quake was out a year before it always baffled me but I agree with everything else you said. PS1 games just always felt clunky and limited to me, but N64 was more like "here are the kinds of games you'll be playing in the future, they just look ugly now."

Goldeneye invented modern FPS games. When everyone was racing to make either a Doom clone or a Quake clone, these guys made a game with slower paced exploration, light stealth, environmental interactions, set pieces, vehicles, interactive companions. Heck, it even had a proper sniper rifle. Next to it, Quake 2 looks like a caveman game. Sure, id's tech was impressive, but gamedesign-wise they were still making Wolfenstein 3D, just bigger and shinier.

Goi~Yaas~Dinn

Savant
I think most people defend the console they had and played, and few have a good grasp of both.
While I loved my N64 dearly, the PSX was undoubtedly the better console. Hell, if Sega hadn't been retarded with the Saturn in the West, even it would've forced the N64 to yield here. As it was, no RPGs and an abrupt and early pullout ensured Nintendo could scrape by in second place.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom