Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Immaturity in JRPGs: Fact or fiction?

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
What the fuck are you even talking about?

One user implied RPGs can only choose between HORROR and DEATH (sounds pretty "edgy" to me) and playfulness. Which is wrong: again, would people say the average Western RPG is edgy or playful?

Well, it's dumb to call an RPG 'JRPG' just because it is made by Japanese. What would you do if a cRPG similar to Fallout and Arcanum came out and turns out it's made by Japanese? Yeah, it will be silly to put it in JRPG section.

It's already happening. Wizardry-clones are restricted to the JRPG section. Same with Dark Souls. I understand why there's a specific JRPG section, and in that regard I DO agree Dark Souls should be allowed to be discussed with the other western RPGs since it is a game that very much appeals to western RPG fans. But objectively speaking, Dark Souls IS a JRPG. We shouldn't boil down a genre to a personal idea of what a "JRPG" is.

The reason I say "JRPG" in the OP as "Japanese RPG" is because else I'm stuck in a dead end. That is, "there are no JRPG that appeal to my tastes because I've decided the ones that DO appeal to my tastes are not JRPGs".

Poor you, if you think Radiata Stories's overall tone is playful after only 10 minutes of trying it. And that's also not yet discussing how questionable it is to assume overall tone of an experience based on just the first 10 minutes of it.

Probably. Then again, the aesthetic already makes it impossible to take the game seriously.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Western RPG dialogue tends to be short and to the point
Dz4GF3fWkA4FFXe.jpg:large

Black Angel

Arcane
One user implied RPGs can only choose between HORROR and DEATH (sounds pretty "edgy" to me) and playfulness. Which is wrong: again, would people say the average Western RPG is edgy or playful?
This is the exact quote from Tigranes
As someone who plays a few JRPGs but also gets totally turned off by many of them:

You don't have to be grimdark, you don't have to deal with DEATH and HORROR. As Shadenuat pointed out, sometimes it's just great to get into a naive, whimsical world and go on a romp full of colourful walking marshmallows or whatever.

What personally kills it for me - and I imagine some variant of this is a common complaint - is when the self-indulgence in the genre's staples goes way too far / too serious / too intense. No I don't want the super-short girl pouting NUH UH IM SO CUTE one-liners every five seconds, as if I'm supposed to fall in love with her and buy life-sized pillows. No I don't want your super-contrived JRPG fantasy lore with the Great Evil that returneth blah blah to go on and on in a 20 minute cutscene.

I don't think it's any less 'mature' necessarily - Numenera's loredumps or a try-hard COLD BLOODED DUDE IN A TRENCHCOAT spouting edgy lines is just as juvenile in a different way.

And where such JRPG/anime tropes are present in moderation, I'm not going to bitch and whine about it. Sometimes I'll find it cute or charming, sometimes I'll just roll with it if the rest of the game is strong.
Nowhere did he implied that "Western RPGs are edgy" or anything. It's another story if YOU think DEATH and HORROR are edgy, but Tigranes merely pointed out that he agreed with Shadenuat, with further elaboration that he doesn't really like JRPGs when the genre's staple like the moe shit goes overboard.

But objectively speaking, Dark Souls IS a JRPG. We shouldn't boil down a genre to a personal idea of what a "JRPG" is.
Nah fam, it's time for me to begin a 10-pages long discussion on what's a "JRPG" is. Calling an RPG a JRPG just because it's made by Japanese is fucking dumb.

The reason I say "JRPG" in the OP as "Japanese RPG" is because else I'm stuck in a dead end. That is, "there are no JRPG that appeal to my tastes because I've decided the ones that DO appeal to my tastes are not JRPGs".
But JRPG has always stands for "Japanese RPG", no? What else would JRPG stands for if not that?

As for your matter of taste, I guess it just means you're a storyfag because, frankly, I think most of the JRPGs I've ever played have great combat gameplay. I'm not comparing it to anything, just saying that on their own JRPGs has their own strengths and weaknesses as a video game.

Poor you, if you think Radiata Stories's overall tone is playful after only 10 minutes of trying it. And that's also not yet discussing how questionable it is to assume overall tone of an experience based on just the first 10 minutes of it.

Probably. Then again, the aesthetic already makes it impossible to take the game seriously.
Yup, pretty much confirmed that you're a storyfag.

I might sound hypocritical, because while I didn't deny Radiata Stories has playful tone to it (in fact, my best memories of the game came from the variety of light-hearted soundtracks that plays throughout the course of the game), I've finished the game a lot of times on PS2 during my childhood and thus I remembered the bottom line of the story which is pretty serious. Hence, I object the notion that it has overall playful tone to it.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Nowhere did he implied that "Western RPGs are edgy" or anything.

"Death and horror" does sound edgy to me, especially when they are written in uppercase as if that's what some games amounted to.

Calling an RPG a JRPG just because it's made by Japanese is fucking dumb.

A JRPG is a Japanese RPG, how would Dark Souls not be a JRPG?

Yup, pretty much confirmed that you're a storyfag.

Not liking a certain style of writing =/= being a storyfag, that you even think this is retarded. A storyfag is someone who plays games for the story and values story over everything else. I don't value stories over everything else, I just don't like playing a game with awful writing. As long as the writing is inoffensive I don't care if there's barely any writing in the game. Case in point: Fallout.

Black Angel

Arcane
"Death and horror" does sound edgy to me, especially when they are written in uppercase as if that's what some games amounted to.
I'll just assume Tigranes specifically mentioned 'death' and 'horror' in uppercase because you specifically typed this bit in OP:
With action-platformers I'm pretty much stuck with Castlevania, as nearly everything else puts me off (no bing bing wahoo for me). With action-adventures, I can think of some nice franchises to play but I've yet to see if the gameplay is up to my taste (like Onimusha). It's easy to come up with survival horrors, since horror pretty much demands gritty/scary settings, at least the most popular franchises are like that (Resident Evil/Silent Hill/Fatal Frame), so I only have to pick between the ones that seem more interesting.
The games you mentioned are... well, full of death and horror. Except for Onimusha, since I haven't played any of the games but from my vague memory of the gameplay videos and a brief look at google images, I get an impression that Onimusha games got plenty of death and horror. Aside from survival horrors, obviously, I think there are plenty of good action-platformers and action-adventures that has only little to no death and horror to them, but you don't seem to be interested in any of those because, and I quote, "nearly everything else puts me off (no bing bing wahoo for me)".

Calling an RPG a JRPG just because it's made by Japanese is fucking dumb.

A JRPG is a Japanese RPG, how would Dark Souls not be a JRPG?
First, we must define what is actually a 'Japanese' RPG. No, it's not because it's made by Japanese.

But seriously, your typical JRPGs often have specific characteristics that you'll know when you see it. Dark Souls has practically none of those characteristic, so it's still pretty dumb lumping Dark Souls with your typical JRPGs just because it's made by Japanese.

Not liking a certain style of writing =/= being a storyfag, that you even think this is retarded. A storyfag is someone who plays games for the story and values story over everything else. I don't value stories over everything else, I just don't like playing a game with awful writing. As long as the writing is inoffensive I don't care if there's barely any writing in the game. Case in point: Fallout.
You forgot another thing: storyfags actually don't care if the gameplay is good, of which plenty of JRPGs like the aforementioned Radiata Stories have. This might actually trigger another discussion on whether or not JRPGs are RPGs at all, but to make long story short, in case of Radiata Stories I think the game isn't really an RPG at all even though general perception might categorize the game as a JRPG.

Also, the bigger part of the writing is the story, so it's still pretty much the same thing. Awful writings, awful story, things like that which are secondary to the gameplay for the most part are what storyfags cared the most, as you demonstrated (uninstalling Radiata Stories after only 10 minutes of trying it just because it seemed to have *overall* playful tone and how the 'aesthetics' made it hard to 'take seriously').

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
The games you mentioned are... well, full of death and horror.

Keep in mind the platform genre is one of the most cheerful/campy genres out there, what with Mario, Sonic, and a bunch more. Castlevania is, to my knowledge, the only franchise that has a non-cheerful setting. Same goes for action-adventures. Survival horror is full of death and horror because that is what survival horror is, there are no two ways around it. Again, Morrowind is hardly DEATH and HORROR, and yet I have absolutely no issues with its setting and tone. For the record, Onimusha was but just one example. Here are the action-adventure games I'm interested about:

- Ico
- Legacy of Kain
- Metroid (2D), Metroid Rogue Dawn, AM2R
- Okami
- Shenmue
- Way of the Samurai
- Yakuza

Then there's Metal Gear & Tenchu if we add them here as well. I'm not interested in Syphon Filter because it seems goofy, I'm not interested in Tomb Raider either. There aren't many franchises left for me to choose from. Feel free to mention good action-platformers and action-adventures.

First, we must define what is actually a 'Japanese' RPG.

Okay.

No, it's not because it's made by Japanese.

Seems like you are not very much open for discussion. The only objective answer is "A Japanese-made RPG". Your own bias tells you "it's this certain kind of RPG that only Japanese and weeaboos make". I know because I know what you are referring to when you say "JRPG".

You forgot another thing: storyfags actually don't care if the gameplay is good

Which means they are willing to put up with bad gameplay because of its good story. I won't. I've only been a storyfag about Legacy of Kain (because I had already played SR and SR2, may as well play them all, no matter how bad they may be as videogames) and Planescape: Torment.

Awful writings, awful story, things like that which are secondary to the gameplay for the most part are what storyfags cared the most

You keep mistaking "I only care about stories in my videogames" with "I want a videogame that doesn't have writing for weebs". You are implying that writing in weeb JRPGs is inoffensive, when in reality weeb JRPGs are known because of how much writing they dump at you, and how often they do it.

Even if I played Radiata Stories (we ARE talking about the same game and not Radiant Historia, right?) to completion and told you "see? it was shit" it would not matter because in your opinion the game isn't shit.

flyingjohn

Arcane
The real name of the genre should be console style rpg. It makes sense since the entire genre started by Japs appyling wizardry and visual novel gameplay elements to a console action adventure game.And thus dragon quest and the "jrpg" genre was born.You can easily make a jrpg in the west if you just follow genre conventions.

The soul series has no connection whatsoever to jrpg type game play:
-Focus on lore instead of story which i directly opposite of jrpg conventions.
-real time combat compared to the generic turn based combat that the genre is known for.
-Real time combat reminiscent of western action game instated of something like tales series or kingdom hearts
-Nonlinear exploration compered to mostly linear typical jrpgs.
-Aesthetics focused on western values(knights and mostly European medieval era) compared to jrpg Japanese aesthetics
-Rpg elements giving you options what to choose instead of the strictly linear jrpg leveling.

I can go on,but anybody can see my point.So,dark souls is a jrpg if your definition is anything Japanese made with rpg elements is a jrpg. But game play wise,the souls game are action rpgs.
Same applies to srpgs,which are just lite tactical /strategy games with rpg elements.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Nah fam, it's time for me to begin a 10-pages long discussion on what's a "JRPG" is. Calling an RPG a JRPG just because it's made by Japanese is fucking dumb.
Wrong. Calling anything a JRPG or WRPG in the first place is dumb and doesn't really give you an accurate idea of what you can expect from the game's mechanics. Let's just stick with the established genre names that actually make sense, like ARPG, Sim / Tactical RPG, dungeon crawler, etc..

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Nowhere did he implied that "Western RPGs are edgy" or anything.

I think this is already clear for everybody else, but to reiterate, that wasn't the point. I like Sanitarium, I like Zelda BOTW, I like Beyond Good & Evil. I don't like short anime girl with giant massive boobs covered by a band-aid interrupting every single cutscene with "he-heh! but i'm so CUTE!" - in the same way I thought the blood splatters in DAO was idiotic. It's not about what you do, it's how you do it with good/bad sensibility.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Most JRPGs are more lighthearted than than WRPGs. I'd go with that term over immature. You could always check out the SaGa series. Legend of Mana might look like a happy-go-lucky game, but it isn't one, imo.

Anyway, if "maturity" is what you are looking for, I think that WRPGs is the genre you want to play.

Black Angel

Arcane
Feel free to mention good action-platformers and action-adventures.
Unfortunately I have yet to awaken an interest in just about any kind of platformers, but just to confirm it, are you sure there are even games you can call 'action-platformers'? Because from what I know, Castlevania games and the likes of it like Mario are more like 2D-side scrolling platformers, and the ones I've heard to be really good in recent times is Shovel Knight.

As for action-adventures, well, since we're in a JRPG thread, the aforementioned Radiata Stories is (IMO) pretty good fantasy action-adventure game if you're willing to put up with its weeb *presentation*. Most of the action-adventures in JRPG 'genre' that I know of has rather similar presentation. Some Final Fantasy games I'll assume fall under action-adventure category because it's not turn-based like its predecessor, the most prominent one being Final Fantasy 12 with its real-time exploration and (with pause) combat gameplay (which is further augmented by a gauge system and a gambit system), and the most recent one being Final Fantasy 15 (which, frankly, too Sasuke-looking for my taste, but it's on my wishlist anyway).

Seems like you are not very much open for discussion. The only objective answer is "A Japanese-made RPG". Your own bias tells you "it's this certain kind of RPG that only Japanese and weeaboos make". I know because I know what you are referring to when you say "JRPG".
You mentioned word 'weeaboos', implying my impression of what a JRPG is solely came from its presentation, which is not right. Based on its gameplay feature, aside from its clear presentation, Undertale, LISA the Painful, and hell I'll just throw Stardew Valley there, all *could* fall under JRPG category (especially the first two games), and yet they're not made by Japanese. flyingjohn pretty much pointed out what I think JRPGs are, and why Soulsborne games are nowhere close to your typical JRPG.

Which means they are willing to put up with bad gameplay because of its good story. I won't.
But that doesn't means I can assume you'll be willing to put up with bad story as long as the gameplay is good, since you just drop Radiata Stories after only 10 minutes of trying it.

You keep mistaking "I only care about stories in my videogames" with "I want a videogame that doesn't have writing for weebs". You are implying that writing in weeb JRPGs is inoffensive, when in reality weeb JRPGs are known because of how much writing they dump at you, and how often they do it.

Even if I played Radiata Stories (we ARE talking about the same game and not Radiant Historia, right?) to completion and told you "see? it was shit" it would not matter because in your opinion the game isn't shit.
But see, this is where we don't have a common ground when discussing Radiata Stories (yes, not Radiant Historia). I've finished the game a lot of times, and I can attest to you it has practically zero *weeb* JRPG writing. At most, the weeb JRPG parts of Radiata Stories is only on slightly below surface level, which is its overall presentation and aesthetics. Soundtracks are up to one's matter of taste so it's not right to call soundtrack 'weeb-y', while the story itself is... well, no point in saying what I think and feel here regarding the story.

You mentioned you're interested in Shenmue. While that game and Radiata Stories has contrastly different presentation and overall tone, it has stuff like this

which is not that much different from what you'll get in Radiata Stories.
Funnily enough, that UH-HUH is included in one of LISA the Painful OST

Black Angel

Arcane
Wrong.
No u
Calling anything a JRPG or WRPG in the first place is dumb and doesn't really give you an accurate idea of what you can expect from the game's mechanics. Let's just stick with the established genre names that actually make sense, like ARPG, Sim / Tactical RPG, dungeon crawler, etc..
This I agree with.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
As for action-adventures, well, since we're in a JRPG thread, the aforementioned Radiata Stories is (IMO) pretty good fantasy action-adventure game if you're willing to put up with its weeb *presentation*. Most of the action-adventures in JRPG 'genre' that I know of has rather similar presentation. Some Final Fantasy games I'll assume fall under action-adventure category because it's not turn-based like its predecessor, the most prominent one being Final Fantasy 12 with its real-time exploration and (with pause) combat gameplay (which is further augmented by a gauge system and a gambit system), and the most recent one being Final Fantasy 15 (which, frankly, too Sasuke-looking for my taste, but it's on my wishlist anyway).

Factually, all of those are JRPGs. I have my own personal opinion of what a proper RPG is, but that is beyond the point. And yes, Final Fantasy XII is a great JRPG, but it's no action-adventure.

But that doesn't means I can assume you'll be willing to put up with bad story as long as the gameplay is good, since you just drop Radiata Stories after only 10 minutes of trying it.

Because it's not a matter of the story being good or bad, but how much cringe does it get.

and I can attest to you it has practically zero *weeb* JRPG writing. At most, the weeb JRPG parts of Radiata Stories is only on slightly below surface level, which is its overall presentation and aesthetics.

I understand where you are coming from, but weeb (a.k.a. Disgaea) writing is not just my issue, I also dislike overly cheerful writing. You are right I cannot judge the game based on the first 10 minutes so maybe, maybe some day I will give the game a shot. But at the moment, instead of complaining whether some games are childish or not, I'd rather play the videogames I am interested in, and once I run out of them then maybe I can start playing some JRPGs to see whether I'm right or wrong.

You mentioned you're interested in Shenmue. While that game and Radiata Stories has contrastly different presentation and overall tone, it has stuff like this

which is not that much different from what you'll get in Radiata Stories.

I don't see the problem with the video?

Black Angel

Arcane
Because it's not a matter of the story being good or bad, but how much cringe does it get.
Well, as Damned Registration pointed out, cringe is in the eye of the beholder, and like Tigranes said it's how you do things with good/bad sensibility. Still, dropping stuff after only 10 minutes and judged its overall tone based on that is.... well, I guess I won't be surprised with usual Codextry.

I understand where you are coming from, but weeb (a.k.a. Disgaea) writing is not just my issue, I also dislike overly cheerful writing. You are right I cannot judge the game based on the first 10 minutes so maybe, maybe some day I will give the game a shot. But at the moment, instead of complaining whether some games are childish or not, I'd rather play the videogames I am interested in, and once I run out of them then maybe I can start playing some JRPGs to see whether I'm right or wrong.
That's okay, but I see it's kinda pointless to discuss 'immaturity' in JRPGs if what you're somewhat looking for is some JRPG recommendation in the long run. Might as well get to the point and ask for good JRPGs if you're like Tigranes and dislike the weeb moe shit that plagued most modern JRPGs and RPGMaker games, and stop with the usual Codex weaponized autism of discussing trivial shit like 'immaturity'.

I don't see the problem with the video?
There are none. I merely pointed out that the game has writing, dialogue, voice-acting, and stuff like that which are not that far from the presentation you'll get from Radiata Stories.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
There are none. I merely pointed out that the game has writing, dialogue, voice-acting, and stuff like that which are not that far from the presentation you'll get from Radiata Stories.

It's just two dudes lifting a box, I don't see why I would have a problem with it. It is different in a JRPG because the characters are most likely kids and saying stupid crap all the way through.

Black Angel

Arcane
It's just two dudes lifting a box, I don't see why I would have a problem with it. It is different in a JRPG because the characters are most likely kids and saying stupid crap all the way through.
Oh wow, I'm not sure what to call this.... mental gymnastic? You're willing to overlook the presentation of the clip with that other guy saying UH-HUH multiple times, not to mention the quality of the dialogue and voice-acting, but can't stand the first 10 minutes of Radiata Stories which isn't that different?

I've been interested in the subject and I think the ease of which people dismiss/or don't care about the process of maturity is alarming, I think it's one of the reasons as to why the population is the way it is. The premise of your argument is already flawed and I don't think you have even defined nor understood what you are trying to express. When you express maturity, you have to specify in what terms are you speaking in? Mature of biology? Meaning having an adult body, or maturity of the mind, as in, understanding and dealing with the world and it's complexities and in what manner you handle it? JRPGs, whatever you want to call them, in the context of this thread (Games like, FF, DQ, BoF, Suikoden) are designed mainly for an immature audience, as in children and teenagers. Typically speaking of course, since a person's mental maturity greatly differs depending on economic and cultural background, for the sake of this topic, let's go with that most kids raised in first world countries are less mature than in those born otherwise. Most people today are only adults in their physical appearance, they are still childlike in their heads. Are you defining maturity in a game's story/plot or gameplay mechanic? Mature plots (which oftentimes overlaps with works that can be considered immature depending on the theme and the scale of which it is addressed), often deals with themes, and depending on the tone of said plot, some themes are more prevalent than others. Death and war aren't the only themes that can be considered mature (This of course depends on how it is introduced and how the subject is handled), it depends on the themes/topic and how far philosophically and serious the game is willing to address them. The protagonist and antagonists arguments, morality, and ethics border or even interlink each other and you cannot define as clearly who might be wrong or right, both can even have strong points/arguments shades of grey. That's what makes the relationship between both, good, and having an interesting plot. On the subject of colors I don't know much of, but generally it has been understood that children are attracted to bright colors (immature), while traditionally a more earth tone is considered more mature/sublime (Rembrandt, etc). This is a reason as to why most, not all, JRPGs features brightly color palates which directly adds to the already mentioned consumer demographics typical of these games. Now, some JRPGs might have convoluted plots which might fool the person to think it's mature, oftentimes it is done for the sake of convolution without the tone, approach and subtlety (or just a plain old bad writer). I would say there is very few if at all mature JRPGs, most of their protagonists (oftentimes) is what is described as a "shonen" character, egoistic, always rushing to conclusion or action without thinking about the consequences it might have, the power of the author always saving him from unrealistic scenarios, "Chosen/Special One™", having simplistic arguments, and my favorite one, there is no plan, we'll conquer this with the power of "FRIENDSHIP". Again, a very immature mentality.

Does this means that you should stop playing these games? That depends entirely on the person, some people want to be stimulated all the time about such subjects while others don't mind having a light hearted adventure from time to time, Dragon Quest XI did this right. I did play my fair share of JRPGs growing up, but these days I would say I prefer when the protagonist is both physically and mentally mature.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Oh wow, I'm not sure what to call this.... mental gymnastic? You're willing to overlook the presentation of the clip with that other guy saying UH-HUH multiple times, not to mention the quality of the dialogue and voice-acting, but can't stand the first 10 minutes of Radiata Stories which isn't that different?

To me it sounds like you are the guy doing the mental gymnastics.
  1. On one hand we have two dudes lifting a box. Quality of voice acting doesn't bother me. Neither the "huh"s do.
  2. On the other hand we have a beginning with a literal teenager waking up demanding breakfast from his sister, sleepy face on him complete with music, yet more anime music as her sister berates him and he scratches his butt, "awwwwww" says the teenager. "Jack, this is your father's LEGENDARY SWORD", "you just need to pass the test", "I JUST NEED TO BEAT EVERYONE ELSE, RIGHT?", etc. etc., goes to fight, "well this will be easy, I can't get beat by a girl!", girl proceeds to whoop his ass (who could have seen that coming? I did).
To imply those two are similar in "presentation" or "writing" is stupid. It really is.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
When you express maturity, you have to specify in what terms are you speaking in? Mature of biology? Meaning having an adult body, or maturity of the mind, as in, understanding and dealing with the world and it's complexities and in what manner you handle it?

Maturity of mind, of course. Maturity of the writing, but most especifically characters. The issue being that people talk, and events don't. We can laugh at how stupid the "ragtag bunch of misfits against evil empire" trope is, but as long as the characters are done right, the trope is nothing but a background. That is, you forget about the trope because everything else is nicely written. On the other hand, if the evil empire is cartoonishly evil, and the bunch of misfists rely on the power of love, friendship, everyone acts like an idiot but everything works out anyhow... yeah, the trope still won't bother me, but it will be far more obvious, though the problem in the end will be the characters, not "the plot".

I would say there is very few if at all mature JRPGs, most of their protagonists (oftentimes) is what is described as a "shonen" character, egoistic, always rushing to conclusion or action without thinking about the consequences it might have, the power of the author always saving him from unrealistic scenarios, "Chosen/Special One™", having simplistic arguments, and my favorite one, there is no plan, we'll conquer this with the power of "FRIENDSHIP". Again, a very immature mentality.

Does this means that you should stop playing these games? That depends entirely on the person, some people want to be stimulated all the time about such subjects while others don't mind having a light hearted adventure from time to time, Dragon Quest XI did this right. I did play my fair share of JRPGs growing up, but these days I would say I prefer when the protagonist is both physically and mentally mature.

I downloaded Tales of the Abyss today just to see if maybe I was wrong in judging the game by its cover. But the protagonist is 17/18, he behaves like a total retard, and... I just had to end it. I want to say I used to like JRPGs, but in reality my experience with JRPGs was very limited. Outside of Final Fantasy, I've played but a handful of JRPGs: Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, Vagrant Story, and only recently a couple of King's Field titles. It's also worth mentioning I was never into anime either.

It's a shame because you can tell through other videogames that "western writing" isn't exclusive to the western world. Yakuza I'm really enjoying so far. It's just that, when it comes to JRPGs, they really make them like anime for teenagers.

In that regards, I'm afraid most of them are like that. You do have your rare exceptions that people would classify as mature, such as Vagrant Story, SMT (PS2), Shadow Hearts, Nier, Lost Odyssey (neutral) and maybe Drakengard (although people would put this one in the edge category) but other than that you won't find what it is you're looking for in that genre. I don't know much of about anime, but I would be careful as to classify them all together, if I'm not mistaken the current modern style that you know of, such as bright colors, big eyes, barely any shading, line artstyle is something relatively recent due economic factors (and the dreaded culture of: Efficiency), just like how Western animation is now declining from complexity and embracing the pestilence known as Calarts. And there are certainly works of anime that are geared towards a more mature/adult audience, Ghost in the Shell, Akira (Debatable), Cowboy Bebop, Monster, Grey Digital Target and Legend of the Galactic Heroes. While there are more works of maturity in the West, never forget that what the modern definition of what people consider mature are blood and breasts. All you have to do to see how absurd it is, is to look at the back of a game box with the ESRB rating M.

Black Angel

Arcane
  1. On one hand we have two dudes lifting a box. Quality of voice acting doesn't bother me. Neither the "huh"s do.
  2. On the other hand we have a beginning with a literal teenager waking up demanding breakfast from his sister, sleepy face on him complete with music, yet more anime music as her sister berates him and he scratches his butt, "awwwwww" says the teenager. "Jack, this is your father's LEGENDARY SWORD", "you just need to pass the test", "I JUST NEED TO BEAT EVERYONE ELSE, RIGHT?", etc. etc., goes to fight, "well this will be easy, I can't get beat by a girl!", girl proceeds to whoop his ass (who could have seen that coming? I did).
To imply those two are similar in "presentation" or "writing" is stupid. It really is.
Yup, storyfaggotry+mental gymnastics confirmed. Though, that much I probably should've gotten since you get that
village_idiot.gif

I didn't say both games are 'similar' in presentation/writing, only that the quality of those in either games aren't that far off from one another, e.g not remarkable, mediocre, typical Japanese-quality of making an English version of the game, call it whatever but at least it doesn't bother the gameplay. If you're not bothered by one, you shouldn't be bothered by the other.

And what's wrong with the music? It's pretty much one of the best part of the game. Is it wrong for this type of game to have lighthearted musics? Or did you just prefer anything that invoke a tone of DEATH and HORROR anyway? Just come out and say you didn't really like this kind of presentation, no need to go the Codex autism way of trying to discuss trivial shit like 'immaturity'.

For what console is this? Looks like PS2.

As Abu Antar rated your post,
yes.png

You can play it on emulator, and from some Youtube footage it looks fine as hell (though, sadly I didn't have a good enough PC to run it smoothly so I didn't yet have the chance to replay the game properly).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Yup, storyfaggotry+mental gymnastics confirmed. Though, that much I probably should've gotten since you get that
village_idiot.gif

:lol: If you are going to start dropping insults as arguments you would have been better off as the other people who simply rated the OP retadred and moved on.

only that the quality of those in either games aren't that far off from one another, e.g not remarkable, mediocre, typical Japanese-quality of making an English version of the game

Now you are confusing whether I care about a good dub or not. Which I don't, as long as the writing is inoffensive and the game is good.

If you're not bothered by one, you shouldn't be bothered by the other.

Except because of the reasons I mentioned above... which then you call "mental-gymnastics" when everywhere else in the world they are known as perfectly valid reasons, because none of them touch on the quality of the voice acting (whcih is most definitely what you imply when you say "making an English version of the game"). It's the writing that is a problem. If moving a box to you sounds "problematic", then it's not my problem: people do stuff like this in real life all the time. It's your average RPG quest (i.e. trivial tasks), except this one has a minigame to go with it.

And what's wrong with the music? It's pretty much one of the best part of the game.

It's retarded.

Is it wrong for this type of game to have lighthearted musics?

I never said it was, only that I didn't like it.

Or did you just prefer anything that invoke a tone of DEATH and HORROR anyway?

Oh yeah, because Yakuza's songs are full of DEATH and HORROR. Same with Morrowind's and New Vegas'. Same with Gothic's and The Witcher's. Same with Baldur's Gate and Deus Ex (Jesus, the music in that game gave me nightmares :roll:).

Just admit you are no different than the Japs who think life is either DEATH and HORROR or living your life as a kid doing kiddie things, which explains why their games as a whole are so shallow when it comes to how they handle their themes.

JustLooking

Scholar
It all comes down to fact that in 90% of jrpg you play as underage faggot that didn't hit puberty yet, with exposed tummy and voice of basement virgin. On top of it add the fact that japs have some retarded need to grind anything all day long, which only kiddies have time to do and see insane big numbers on screens that adults are not able to handle since they reminds them of the bills and you get to know why majority of people find the jprgs immature and why people that like them are kept far away in secluded wading pool of the forum.

Viata

Arcane
Kids saving the world in JRPG is as cringe as an adult saving the world in CRPG. I'm tired of this shit, at least JRPG have fun combat, something that WRPG can only do for 1 out of 10 wrpg you play.
I want good plot, doesn't need to be mature, but they should stop with the "save the world" bullshit. May as well be "destroy the world"(I hate World Destruction for its bait plot) or just a guy traveling around, doing things here and there, nothing at the scale of saving the world/country. Can't have a great adventure without having to save 10 billion people, it seems.
I guess it's time for me to make my own game for myself to play. :argh:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom