Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Florry will do a world conquest on release day
florryworry-profile_image-4480dd34528887bf-300x300.jpeg

His primary donor - joepro99 - paid $1000 for that. In form of Twitch subscriptions so Florry only gets $500 of that but it was still enough to convince him.

joepro99 said he will try to sign up Arumba too to turn the whole thing into a competition i.e. who gets the achievement first.

Don't know if Arumba can be bought that cheaply too, though. Or if he can even stream for that long. Florry can stream for over 12 hours straight and that's probably how long a world conquest will take.

And yes, I once watched a 12 hour Florry stream, and I regret nothing. Watching him play EU4 / Imperator is way more fun than doing it yourself.

So, is the game actually bugged and the AI can't tech up or something? Maybe there was a mixup and Florry was given the game journalist review copy, complete with "retard mode" difficulty enabled.

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
Is this again a game that is focused around map-painting/war? I just want Vicky 3...

Last edited:

LizardWizard

Cipher
I don't think it's deliberate DLC whoring by Paradox. Knowing them they truly don't know what to do with their game. This smacks of another Stellaris where they will keep revamping core features willy-nilly to see what sticks.

It's Johan, so it's definitely DLC whoring of the worst kind (see: EU4). Epirus/Greek pack is basically 15 bucks if you're foolish enough to order the deluxe edition. I assume they'll add awesome button mechanics to each major faction for more than CA marks up their Warhammer shit.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doesn't sound promising if stuff is not complete. Not that I get what he is showing of.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
It looks like the ruler stats of the consuls are combined by taking the higher stat between the two of them.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
o see what sticks

Have to agree with you there. WTF is going on at Paradox, I dont follow who works there, have they lost major personal over the years? Cos it seems like they have no idea what they are doing, or as I said before they are in lazy maintenance mode and just dont give a fuck anymore about pushing the genre.

Nah they've always been like that pretty much.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I take back what I said about it looking interesting after watching quite a few preview streams. Everything is exactly the fucking same, there is no real differentiation between a Persian nation, the Romans or some bognigger Germanic tribe except perhaps in the available traditions, which are just "10% better <Unit type>" by and large. This is disgraceful even by Paradox standards. Imagine if HoI4 started with no focus trees whatsoever and everyone getting the same generic units. That's Imperator.

It looks like the ruler stats of the consuls are combined by taking the higher stat between the two of them.

Reddit said:
I really hope that's not the case. Sounds like a really boring implementation in my opinion. I'd rather have that you can actually choose yourself which attribute to be picked from which consul BUT the consuls themselves should have ambitions of their own which aspects they want to be in charge off. Giving these aspects to the other one should give a huge loyalty penalty forcing you for example to big the lesser valued score for certain aspects or alternating which one you've picked.

AgentFransis

Cipher
Patron
I take back what I said about it looking interesting after watching quite a few preview streams. Everything is exactly the fucking same, there is no real differentiation between a Persian nation, the Romans or some bognigger Germanic tribe except perhaps in the available traditions, which are just "10% better <Unit type>" by and large. This is disgraceful even by Paradox standards. Imagine if HoI4 started with no focus trees whatsoever and everyone getting the same generic units. That's Imperator.
Well everyone always has the same units in paradox games, at least in theory. In fact if we consider Imperator as just the EU4 mod that it is it has quite the nice variety with some being limited by strategic resources. But yeah, the game just feels completely bland and soulless.

It did give me a hunger for some antiquity gamelplay so I installed Europa Barbarorum II. Now there's a game with some fucking flavor. Tons of regional units, limited unit availability, gradual integration of new territories, special faction mechanics. And every unit and building comes with a whole essay you can read about it if you want. I'm playing Carthage and they even scripted a whole political system where your dudes can get elected to various offices if they're eligible and that no one is allowed to lead armies until you're actually at war and you get dudes elected to be generals (simulated by setting everyone to 0 command by default).

Reddit said:
I really hope that's not the case. Sounds like a really boring implementation in my opinion. I'd rather have that you can actually choose yourself which attribute to be picked from which consul BUT the consuls themselves should have ambitions of their own which aspects they want to be in charge off. Giving these aspects to the other one should give a huge loyalty penalty forcing you for example to big the lesser valued score for certain aspects or alternating which one you've picked.
That sounds retarded.

Last edited:

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Florry formed the most powerful government in the game - Emperor Cult - and damn it takes a lot of work..
Florryworry said:
I GOT IT
Finally
Diadochi as dictator of rome

Ok so
Yes
So alexanders generals
Have families
Those families get buffs
So they have high stats
So what you can do is
Conquer something like macedon (you want thrace but thats beside the point)

Then get one of those people to become populist

Populists seize power and become dictators
Eventually
You can make someone populist at a young age
By letting them win battles

And giving them triumphs
They become popular and wealthy and join populist faction
Let that guy become consul
Then make him dictator for live
Life*

Then you save up 750 dip points and flip in and out of dictator for life law
Everytime you pass dictator for life law populist gain power
You need 80 populist power which is fucking impossible without exploits
Anyway

So gou just pass law in and out for pop influence
Then you can go dictatorship super op govt
(it has 4 ideas instead of 3 and 1 from every type)
But thats not ur final form
Cux if you have over 600 cities (italy+greece)
You can go empire government
But thats still
Not your final form
Cux if ur rome
And u have that govt
And u have a really good leader
(which you do cuz ur a diadochi)
You can go empire cult
Which is empire govt but twice as good

And i fucking love how historical it all is
The only way that i know of to go dictator without exploits is by picking a fight with the senate whilst a populist is in power (caesar)
Then appeasing other populists and making them powerfull
Then letting urself get assasinated (also caesar)
Then get the new guy to proclaim lifetime dictatorship which bumps ur populist power to max
Then if ur big you can go empire
And if hes good u can make an emporer cult (augustus)
Its so well done im practically jizzing myself
Like this game has issues but damn johan
This is so good

Intentionally fucking up your country in order to get more powerful governments is always bullshit. Same thing exists in EU4 where you want to go revolutionary the instant it becomes available since it makes your country roughly 4x as powerful... which involves intentionally tanking your stability, taking out a few dozen loans you don't need, waiting for rebels, and moving your capital under where the rebels spawn so they take it quickly and overthrow the government.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Florry will do a world conquest on release day
florryworry-profile_image-4480dd34528887bf-300x300.jpeg

His primary donor - joepro99 - paid $1000 for that. In form of Twitch subscriptions so Florry only gets $500 of that but it was still enough to convince him.
This is happening. Florry took the day off and will stream all day tomorrow. 15 hour stream.
angtft.jpg

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Intentionally fucking up your country in order to get more powerful governments is always bullshit.
No, it's not, because it gives you a goal. What else there is to do in the game? Just paint the map? Boring. So you need some other goal like e.g. getting this Emperor Cult thing.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
For someone who is intelligent enough to break Paradox games day 1 Florry writes like a nigga

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
For someone who is intelligent enough to break Paradox games day 1 Florry writes like a nigga

Evidence that modern Paradox games are basically pop a mole. Not sure why Goliath keeps shilling for that idiot.

One of the nice things about Grand Strategy used to be that the people who play those games tended to be older and knowledgeable about the time period the game took place in. At some point the audience seems to have completely shifted to literal meme spouting teenagers though. I blame people like ISP and "Who is Rommel?" Arumba.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Intentionally fucking up your country in order to get more powerful governments is always bullshit. Same thing exists in EU4 where you want to go revolutionary the instant it becomes available since it makes your country roughly 4x as powerful... which involves intentionally tanking your stability, taking out a few dozen loans you don't need, waiting for rebels, and moving your capital under where the rebels spawn so they take it quickly and overthrow the government.
Yeah,i dislike that too. Tho that is his way and it interesting to watch him,there are not many good player making videos about the game. It is hard to watch retards like arumba,because they play a lot worst than me. Another fun player to watch is DDRJake,but he is not playing much anymore.

Have no idea how niggas write,but Florry is pretty right leaning dude. Bonus points for being a smoker and having an actual normal job. :obviously: I watch him more because i like him and not for the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom