Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
He fails to understand 2 very key issues for why the game isnt just panned by hardcore fans but everybody in a really extreme way.
First, that people arent asking for a full-dlc level content, but that people will compare the product on offer with other products on the shelf in some way, and failure to anticipate that is their failure and not the customers being crazy and irrational. It doesnt help that EU Rome isnt exactly a glowing beacon in the pdox portfolio historically.

And this is why paratards deserve everything they get. They should be asking for that. Otherwise what is the point of making sequels or new games?

Eh. I don't think a new paradox game has to have as much content as a full-DLC CK2. That's a lot of pure content in terms of the map, the events, and so on. I don't think that's necessary for the sequel to be worth the money, either.

What you do expect is for paradox to learn from the process of refining their mechanics over such DLC lifecycles that their consumers supported with $, and to come out with games that are more smartly made, and not basically a regression of their design.

Part of the answer seems to be that Johan really believes that this regressive mana infestation is 'improved' design.
I want them to have all the mechanical improvement(non flavour like estates) appropriate for this game that were made until now. It is not some amazingly hard work to copy a bunch of code on to another game. The game is a total regress compared both to ck and eu4 1.0 releases. For fuck sake they could even attach units to docked boats,this game cant. A mission three would have been a must if there was a competent project lead,fuck some of the nations have missions but you have no idea what they are or what triggers them.

Hi everyone and welcome back to another development diary! This time we look into some of the political changes for the free Pompey update that will be out in June.

Electable Age in Republics

Different republics will have different age-requirements for who can be elected to become ruler. Rome for example, require its rulers to be at least 35 years old.

Co-Ruler/Dual-Rulers

In the Pompey patch (v1.1), Aristocratic Republics will have Consuls & Co-Consuls. When elected, the one with highest support becomes Consul, and the one with the second highest number of votes becomes Co-Consul. This often means that they come from two different parties.

When it comes to power generation, the stats of the Consul with the highest attribute will be used, giving a nice benefit to the country.

The loyalty of those of the same party as the Co-Consul gets a positive impact if he is loyal, and negative impact if he is disloyal. We simulate the friction between the two consuls by the loyalty of the co-consul. Also, if the Co-Consul gets low loyalty, the power costs increase by up to 25%.

The Co-Consus gain popularity by the same factor as the first consul gains popularity, and the ruler popularity that other characters look at is the average of both Consuls.

Any ruling trait that a Co-Consul has will also be added to the country.

A major drawback for Aristocratic Republics is the fact that impact of ruler corruption could be doubled, as both Consuls corruption is added together for the country.

co_consul.png

Consorts

In some types of monarchies, the consorts have some sort of supportive abilities. In such a monarchy, the consorts works like a co-ruler for how you gain power each month, ie the highest score of an attribute of the ruler and his/her consort is the one considered, so the capabilities of who you marry to your ruler is important.

Consorts also get a loyalty-hit over time, if they are not the parent of the primary heir of the current ruler, and if they become disloyal, they will increase the power-costs by up to 25%, scaled by how disloyal they are.

Government Abilities

In the Pompey patch we have added some extra abilities for each of the three government forms, where you can strengthen yourself.

Republics

Each party has a specific action connected to it, where the cost is halved if that party is in power, and also increase the populist popularity.
  • Civic Party - Pay Civic Power for cheaper building costs.
  • Military Party - Pay Military Power for more discipline .
  • Mercantile Party - Pay Oratory Power for cheaper trade routes.
  • Religious Party - Pay Religious Power for cheaper conversions.
  • Populist Party - Only if populists are in power, pay money for reduction in corruption and populist support,

Monarchies
  • War Council - You can Summon a War Council once every ten years, where your important courtiers will propose different places where you should start wars, giving you claims on adjacent areas.
  • Demands Oath of Allegiance - Spend lots of oratory and religious power to increase the support for your Primary Heir over time.
  • Hold Games - Spends money of both the country and the ruler to increase his or her popularity.
  • Patronize the Arts - Spend Civic Power to gain Primary Culture Happiness and Civilization Increase over time.

Tribes
  • War Council - Same as for monarchies
  • Assemble Raiding Parties - Spend Oratory and Military Power to get a boost in Enslavement Efficiency.
  • Encourage Tribal Migration - Makes you lose 5 tribesmen pops, for a tick down in centralization.

(And there is more new things for tribes, mentioned in a later development diary.)

war_council.png

Power Base & Civil Wars

In Pompey each character in your realm can have a potential power base. This is both an abstract gauge of how influential they are in a country as well as a meter for how many troops they could raise in a civil war. The total power base in a country will range up to around 300 and it is scaled within that country.

Power base is primarily derived from:
  • Loyal Troops
  • Owned Holdings
  • Titles
  • How much of the country’s population that is ruled by a character who is a Governor or ruler.
  • Ruler Popularity (for the ruler)
  • Character Wealth
It can also be modified by interactions, events and other script content...

For purposes of Civil Wars the game will no longer count Loyal Cohorts but instead the Power Base of all disloyal characters.

power_base.png

The threshold for civil war is 33%, with positive stability increasing it, and negative decreasing it.

Character Interactions

We will go deeper in a later developer diary about the new abilities we will be adding, we can now mention that we are rebalancing the costs quite heavily for them, removing the power costs, and using the new abilities to impact Aggressive Expansion, Tyranny or Stability from it. Recruiting a character from another nation wlll increase your AE, while bribing will be done with the rulers own personal money.

bribe.png

Next week we’ll talk about playing tall, changes to barbarians, trade & slave distribution, while going into more detail about heritages.

egypt.png

LizardWizard

Cipher
Battle Brothers currently has more people playing according to steam. Also unsurprisingly, CK2 has over double.

Maybe this will be the wake up call for Paradox to finally put Johan out to pasture

Martyr

Arcane
why the fuck is the combat so bad???
if I have 19000 troops and 4600 die and the enemy has 11000 troops and 5900 die, how the fuck is that a defeat for me?? if you can't control combat encounters directly, they should at least make sense.

Martyr

Arcane
if I have 19000 troops and 4600 die and the enemy has 11000 troops and 5900 die, how the fuck is that a defeat for me?? if you can't control combat encounters directly, they should at least make sense.
Morale?
oh, didn't think of that.
still makes no sense imho, yes my troops have lost more men, but there are also more left. and the ones that are left could be stronger and more efficient than the ones who've died. I would've preferred that morale was not included in such an abstract implementation of combat.
in Total War I can understand low morale and troops fleeing the battlefield, for example after their leader has died. but here it is just numbers and my numbers were bigger to begin with. so in the end it is just "bad luck". :?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Historically the side which controlled the battlefield at end of battle won its was not about causalities which 90% were inflicted when the one side routed and begun to run. Of course in such scenario you should have option to rally your superior forces and finish he job the next day, after all there were Pyrrhic victories a plenty in history and wars are not won by winning the battles but campaigns and forcing your opponent to concede defeat. Btw is this game so bad? I am hungry for some Ancient time great strategy and ancient mods to CK2 are months to being completed thanks to Paracuck braking the game with every update.

Martyr

Arcane
Historically the side which controlled the battlefield at end of battle won its was not about causalities which 90% were inflicted when the one side routed and begun to run. Of course in such scenario you should have option to rally your superior forces and finish he job the next day, after all there were Pyrrhic victories a plenty in history and wars are not won by winning the battles but campaigns and forcing your opponent to concede defeat. Btw is this game so bad? I am hungry for some Ancient time great strategy and ancient mods to CK2 are months to being completed thanks to Paracuck braking the game with every update.

I honestly don't think that Imperator: Rome is as bad as it's made out to be. just be aware that it is more casual, mainstream-friendly ( = dumbed down) than most of the other Paradox games. but in the end, dumbed down games can still provide enjoyment, one doesn't have to play the most hardcore games out there all the time.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Morale?
oh, didn't think of that.
still makes no sense imho, yes my troops have lost more men, but there are also more left. and the ones that are left could be stronger and more efficient than the ones who've died. I would've preferred that morale was not included in such an abstract implementation of combat.
in Total War I can understand low morale and troops fleeing the battlefield, for example after their leader has died. but here it is just numbers and my numbers were bigger to begin with. so in the end it is just "bad luck". :?

Morale is literally half the combat, even in CK2. I've had armies with tens of thousands of troops fight another army half its size and still lost because morale was low (mainly due to a long march).

At the same time, you can always easily compensate for low morale by just bringing more troops. There's no force limit and its merely a 1-time investment in manpower that you're always going to need eventually (once you get bigger and need to patrol to keep unrest down). Stuff like Archers with a penalty to morale don't actually take any more casualties in combat than troops with high morale, they are exactly as good at killing the enemy troops.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Trolololololo in that shit is of high level,a lot of corporate bullshit and lies in it.

we passed ten million registered Paradox accounts!

Not least, they give us new opportunities to communicate directly with our players in a more personalized and relevant way

Yeah,and you had banned half of those people for critizising your company. The paradox forum is a fucking graveyard,i have contributed to this number with two accounts. And i don't use them because of the retarded cuck moderators.

I laugh my ass off at this shit

we will launch the highly anticipated Age of Wonders: Planetfall

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
People bought this garbage.
The game is in steep decline.
RZyMEUi.png

Other paradox games have a lot more retention that this one. It lost most of its player base in the first week.

Also they say that it met expectation,for all we know their expectation were 11 copies. Still it sold like 200-300 thousand copies.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hate how lame they become.

Seems to always go that way when a company knows they fucked up - all of sudden no criticism is allowed.

HeroMarine

Irenaeus
Vatnik
I was banned from their forums for saying I didn't like the Soviet women snipers meme drawing for HOI4.

As for Imperator, it may become a good game in 3-4 DLCs or so, about 1 or 2 years. Who knows? (it is a mystery)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom