Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
ImperAnthem 76.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
j5nd2lzl56131.jpg

I would like to remind that CK2 had three paid expansions within the first year since its release. But that game was well designed, playable and fun,so they didn't need to salvage it.

Norfleet

No. No Paradox game will be good for at least a year or two after release. They don't turn out the DLC Expansions THAT fast.

Consider: They shat out Stellaris in like 2015, and it's just BARELY starting to get interesting. So, you know, try back in 2023.

Goliath

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Paradox has become so desperate, they are now using sockpuppets:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Imperator/comments/bvh0l8/my_imperator_experience/ said:
Posted by u/TotallyNotJohan
My Imperator experience.

Like wine and cheese the best way to consume it is not quickly but to savour every taste. This is my first paradox game I have gotten at launch and I love it. So much I hate to ruin it so I have erected a media blackout and have not watched any or read anything about Imperator. I love it. I live and breathe Grand strategy and this is my first from the antiquity. And I say a worthy one. I look forward to the years of paradox development. I haven't even finished my first game as Rome and I have over 100 hours put in. Here's to many more hours and to much more features.
2012-02-14_1230.png

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
https://www.reddit.com/r/Imperator/comments/bvh0l8/my_imperator_experience/ said:
My Imperator experience.

Like wine and cheese the best way to consume it is not quickly but to savour every taste. This is my first paradox game I have gotten at launch and I love it. So much I hate to ruin it so I have erected a media blackout and have not watched any or read anything about Imperator. I love it. I live and breathe Grand strategy and this is my first from the antiquity. And I say a worthy one. I look forward to the years of paradox development. I haven't even finished my first game as Rome and I have over 100 hours put in. Here's to many more hours and to much more features.

"I live and breathe Grand strategy" but "this is my first from the antiquity", "This is my first paradox game I have gotten at launch", and "I haven't even finished my first game as Rome and I have over 100 hours put in". :M

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Paradox has become so desperate, they are now using sockpuppets:
My Imperator experience.

2012-02-14_1230.png

Visit Paradox forum, you will find plenty of drones like this one.

Hello and welcome to another Development Diary for Imperator: Rome! Today we will be talking about a number of Quality of Life improvements that are coming with the Pompey Patch.

Road Building

index.php

While Roads are a great way to create highways through your country, allowing your armies to quickly move from one end of your empire to another, they can also be cumbersome to construct due to requiring a new order to be given for every new connected city. In Pompey patch you will be able to select a destination for a road and have the army tasked with the job continue until the road is done.

Release Subject

index.php

One of the changes coming in the Pompey patch is the ability to grant autonomy to a local dynasty in a conquered land. This allows you to better handle big areas of foreign culture and it was a modus operandi often chosen by the Romans themselves in their wars of expansion.

Any owned Province can be made into a Client State from the country overview screen and the new country will take the state culture and religion from what is dominant in that province.

The new subject will inherit the government, technology and inventions of its old owner and it will be ruled by a native character.

View Foreign Characters

index.php

A number of character interactions (such as subverting enemy governors or, supporting pretenders, assassinations) exist that lets you further your designs on foreign countries but it can often be hard to identify a proper foreign target. In Pompey Patch we have added a button in the diplomacy view where the character lists for another country can be accessed, with the same possibilities for sorting and filtering that you would have in your own country.

Macro Builder Improvements

index.php

One of the things that was sorely missed by many when coming to Imperator: Rome from our older released games was the ability to see what effects buildings, pop promotion, and religious conversion of pops would have when using the Macro Builder.

In the Pompey patch when you click on the Macro Builder tabs for Buildings and Pops a sortable list will be shown of all places where you can take the selected action, with information about what benefits this would bring. By hovering the location itself you will see a full tooltip of all affected values.

index.php

Full effects of promoting a pop in Myos Hormos to a Freeman.

Ledger

index.php

Another often requested quality of life feature has been to have a Ledger, with details on the current happenings in the world, easily organized and sortable. In the Pompey update a ledger has been added with the following pages:

• Overview: This is a page that has comparative information for all countries in the entire game. This is the same information that you would normally find in the Diplomacy view for each individual country, but here it is organized for easy comparisons.
  • Rulers: This is a page with all the currently living rulers in the entire world at any given time.
  • Provinces: An overview of all provinces currently under your control, with information about pops, trade routes, loyalty, commerce and tax.
  • Inventions: A list of all inventions purchased up until now, and their effects.
  • Our Rulers: A list of all characters who have ruled your country from the start of the game up until the present date.

index.php

Ledger page for Inventions.

Alerts

index.php

Apart from adding Alerts on the top of the screen for new features such as being outside of Naval Range we have also added alerts for when you have a decision available and when you have not yet picked National Ideas for all of your possible Idea slots.

Province Interface

index.php

The fact that the province interface was covering the center of the screen is something we were never quite happy with. With the addition of new features to the province interface we took the opportunity to address some of these problems.

index.php

In Pompey the Province interface is more clearly divided into a city and Province part. With the Province portion of the interface being retractable for when you are only interested in the city itself.

The Province portion of the interface now shows circle diagrams based on the population in the province as a whole as well as the income from tax and commerce for the entire province.

index.php

The city list is no longer shown at all times, but can be extended from the side. The reason for this is that we found that while not many used it we still wanted to keep the information for those that did.

Government

index.php

One change we have made to office holders in 1.1 Pompey is that the effect of the benefit they provide is now scaled on how loyal they are. This means that we have to show their loyalty in the government view and together with the addition of dual rulers and the government interactions we have had to revamp the government interface. In doing so we have broken it up into 3 tabs:

index.php

• Show Government: This screen shows your ruler and co-ruler or Consort. It also contains your clan leaders, heirs and party leaders, depending on government type.
  • Show Offices: Shows all currently employed officers, what benefit you get from them as well as their loyalty.
  • Show Laws: Now displays all 8 categories of laws in one window, instead of only 4.

index.php

index.php

Another very minor but hopefully helpful change in Pompey is that characters shown in the event window will now have their full name displayed, rather than just their family name. :)

That was all for today’s diary on quality of life changes. I will be back next week with a diary on Pirates, Storms and things that go kaboom. ;)

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Yeah,it have like 800 authists playing that shit. Most likely half of them are devs. The game is pretty much dead,even on their forum the latest big thread is how the game is fucked.

It Wanted to Purge

Releasing it to youtubers who commit suicide livestream will attract some nervousity

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
June 12 22:00
Imperator: 1054
Victoria II: 889
HUGE SUCCESS!
Si3YZ5.png

And if we'll look at 3 months graph ...well
zDunyt.png

By any metric this is a disaster. Their business model pretty much requires retaining as many players as possible so that there is enough suckers dedicated fans to buy mass quantities of all those DLCs for years.

If Paradox was a normal company, debacle of such magnitude would result in a significant personal reshuffle and decision to cut off a venture with such grim prospects. In other words, heads would roll and plugs would be pulled. But nothing is certain in this case, owing to Johan's status as a demigod.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Have they announced that other grand strat game they were talking about? I have a feeling they might drop this one due to the backlash. They certainly will if they will there is no money to be made.

LizardWizard

Cipher
It's going to end exactly like EU: Rome. Replace Johan with a competent dev to lead the expansion which makes game at least kinda playable. Then Paradox will abandon ship and cut their losses

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Have they announced that other grand strat game they were talking about? I have a feeling they might drop this one due to the backlash. They certainly will if they will there is no money to be made.
Even if they make other games,it will end the same way as this shit. They are unable to make a great game,they just take the code from the earlier game,Rome in this case,and begin improving it. They can't even copy the code from other games to improve the gameplay. They could have gotten a lot of small improvements from the EU code bud johan's pride got in the way. Who the hell needs useful navy,mission three or anything else???

It's going to end exactly like EU: Rome. Replace Johan with a competent dev to lead the expansion which makes game at least kinda playable. Then Paradox will abandon ship and cut their losses
That will be hard,most of the devs are on johan level or lower,there is a good reason why it takes soo long to make some basic changes in the code that modders do in a day. In my opinion the best dev i have seen is Jake,at least he have some imagination and managed to spice up the EU game for me. Still he is a Scottish soulless red head....and likes fucking whiskey.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom