Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

roll-a-die

Magister
Welp looks like I'll be adding convenient horses I guess. Was trying to avoid any other mods that weren't requiem related. As in the past that's fucked me over.
since you're adding mods you might as well grab a big titty one while you're at it
I dunno I think I've got titties covered moderating an 18+ NSFW discord.

circ

Arcane
have most mods been ported to the special edition yet?
I'd say buyer beware. Back when I was still paying attention some of the mods were still just straight copies from the old one, using the old form. Recently TK converted his TK dodge mod - but like his or her other mods, it's not a proper port, but that doesn't stop most users from praising it, and then wondering why there are issues.

mastroego

Arcane
I still feel like Requiem's design is sometimes at odds with Skyrims, and that it'd be so much better as it's own game without the cohabitation with Skyrim subpar design and implementation of features.*
I agree to a point.
In part it's simply the limits of the medium, more noticeable in a game (mod) that requires a big investment in gaming hours.
In other words, one must remember that it's still just a game.

*I feel like the cheesy way I have to play at times while doing a even core monotype build, like Pure Archer, is kinda ridiculous.
I could argue that the very goal of a "pure build" implies cheesiness.
Would you go about real life living as a "pure" anything? You'd have trouble with most tasks.
Also it's one of the explicit goals of the mod to force the player to find the best tool for each job.

Few other genuine criticisms. Traps being used to kill enemies is almost negatively rewarded, in that you lose out on XP, this is a problem that Skyrim has, but is exacerbated by the fact that clearing some dungeons relies on careful use of traps at least as early on as I am.
Yes but your reward is that you survive another enemy.
Another way to look at it is that you could gain valuable loot sooner with clever use of the available resources.

Also I second the Convenient Horses suggestion.
Somewhat cheesy but it's the one Ease of Use modification that I allow myself with this setup.
Just do not abuse. :)

Drax

Arcane
Yeah the remote access to horse's inventory was pretty op.
I don't think the current (special edition) version has that, but since he's playing w/ requiem I suppose he's playing Oldrim.

roll-a-die

Magister
0U8Q6cY.png

That's my load order now, literally nothing but requiem. probably the sparsest game setup I've ever had. Just installed mortal enemies and convenient horses, mortal enemies because I'm sick of enemies being able to power attack in a curved shape. With Redguards especially I've had one of them literally turn half way around as it attacks me.

Anyone have convenience mod recommendations that don't interfere with requiem's balance too much but just make things a touch less annoying to do?

roll-a-die

Magister
Knew I was forgetting something, Better Message Box Controls and Better Dialogue controls are getting enabled just as soon as I save my game and quit. Looking at moreHUD to see if it's what I want.

Yeah that actually looks pretty nice.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
I was looking at the Creation Club out of curiosity. I was thinking to see something radically different from Nexus, but they have the exact same fucking mods. Does anyone know how the fuck it works? I remember that it was a paid-mod thing. People right now are paying money for the same shit you can get for free at the Nexus... or are the Nexus modders no longer supporting their free mods and moving onto Creation Club? Seems like all the mods at Creation Club are for SE.

Just a bit curious how this shit works.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
They changed like 6 months ago. Its not too terrible once you get used to it but it sure aint great.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
I was looking at the Creation Club out of curiosity. I was thinking to see something radically different from Nexus, but they have the exact same fucking mods. Does anyone know how the fuck it works? I remember that it was a paid-mod thing. People right now are paying money for the same shit you can get for free at the Nexus... or are the Nexus modders no longer supporting their free mods and moving onto Creation Club? Seems like all the mods at Creation Club are for SE.

Just a bit curious how this shit works.
A popular NV modder actually quit over it.

Can someone summarize Requiem for me, what does it do exactly? Description on the mod page is kinda vague.

Also, does it (or any other big overhaul) play well with the hiker-hobo playstyle? (survival mods to the max).

Haven't played in a while and got an itch for a bit of suffering (both, from the mod fiddling and terrible gameplay).

Plisken

Learned
Can someone summarize Requiem for me, what does it do exactly? Description on the mod page is kinda vague.

Also, does it (or any other big overhaul) play well with the hiker-hobo playstyle? (survival mods to the max).

Haven't played in a while and got an itch for a bit of suffering (both, from the mod fiddling and terrible gameplay).

Its essentially a character progession overhaul mod, however it also delevels the world and does a few things in this nature. People who are derisive of it call it Rock Paper Scissors skyrim edition due to the nature of the changes to how skills work, and while this is an exaggeration it does feel that way sometimes.

Personally since SE came out and requiem hasnt and probably won't be ported, I've found YASH2 which i now consider to be superior. YASH is similar in its attempt to make skyrim a "hardcore" experience, but YASH achieves it with much less hassle and puts the focus on everything being skill based rather than perk based. YASH also works well with most mods and doesnt require extensive patch crawling like requiem does.

I'm currently running a YASH + frostfall + campfire setup and it very much suits the hiker-hobo experience you describe, especially in the early game. YASH complements it well because it gives you organic reasons to do things like hunting and cooking without being obnoxious like needs mods.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Requiem is not a survival mod per se. You still need Frostfall, a needs mod and Campfire to get that.

That said, Requiem + that basic trinity combo changes Skyrim completely. I played Skyrim without mods for something 10 hours and then put away the base game forever. Then played it a bit with SkyRe later, but was stille sort of eh.

While survival mods introduce, well, survival mechanics, Requiem makes ALL OTHER mechanics tuned to the survival feel - i.e. harder, requiring more preparation, experimentation and character progression.

With requiem and a bunch of survival mods the game ended up stealing 200 hours of my time. The only reason I had to abandon my last playthrough was that every single AI creature in the game aggroed something in the middle of Skyrim and so every creature started running towards that point. Yes, literally every creature in the game :lol:

If not, the game would have stolen even more of my time.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane

It claims (and to a large extent, imho, succeeds) to turn Skyrim into a more "realistic", roleplaying-oriented experience.

The world is brutally and completely de-leveled.
It just exists outside yourself, and you're plunged into it.
Enemies have strenghts and weaknesses. You're supposed to find ways to deal with them, or perish. Or FLEE.
Most direct blows will kill you outright (arrows, great swords...) at first, and will remain deadly forever, though you'll slowly acquire means to deal with them as well too. But you'll also have learned to AVOID blows, use stealth, or poison, or magic, or whatever, because in real life as well as in Requiem getting hit with a sword is a BAD idea.
Perks matter A LOT, you'll be no longer a supergeneric character. Builds are a thing again.
The distinction between light and heavy armor is incredibly significant.
And so on.

It's not a "difficulty mod", per se.
Artifacts in Requiem, for instance, are POWERFUL. If you can acquire them, things will get undoubtedly "easier" for you.
The starting phase will be scary, and it might admittedly take a long while before you have the tools and the power to tackle the world.
Perhaps the mod that adds a Hunting Guild will help with more things to do at low levels, but I played without that one.

Frostfall, Campfire and a reasonably streamlined Needs mod will complement Requiem perfectly.
I honestly think this is the best way to experience Skyrim, hands down.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
In SSE I use Ordinator alongside OBIS, Morrowloot, Know Your Enemy and Scarcity - plus other similar stuff. I should make a complete list. The whole purpose is to emulate Requiem. Slowing down leveling is also a must.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
In SSE I use Ordinator alongside OBIS, Morrowloot, Know Your Enemy and Scarcity - plus other similar stuff. I should make a complete list. The whole purpose is to emulate Requiem. Slowing down leveling is also a must.
Definitely do so. I'd love to play SSE, but without a difficulty adjuster, Skyrim is painful.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom