Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Funposter

Arcane
I've never really got into mods, but I have to wonder if after 7 yeras they've actually released any gameplay/quest mods which make Skyrim a game worth playing?

Quest mods? Vigilant is pretty good. I'd argue that it's more interesting than anything in the vanilla game in terms of player choice and consequence, but it also has specific good and bad endings, meaning that any player choice ultimately comes down to doing the "right" thing. Artifacts - The Breton Paladin introduces an extremely high quality set of armour and weapons for Crusader-type characters, and also requires the player to go through a sort of "budget Knights of the Nine" experience. I mainly recommend it because it helps to patch up the lack of Temple content in the game, and also because it is throughly superior to Bethesda's own Creation Club content. Others would suggest Project AHO, which I thought was OK but didn't blow me away. It's still arguably up to the quality of the main game (faint praise). I haven't checled out any of Trainwiz's work, such as The Wheels of Lull, and I doubt I'll ever get around to them at this point, but people seem to consider them to be high quality.

I've also seen some mods that attempt to fix the underlying problems with the Faction questlines, but often they're too numerous and prominent for any modder to properly address. This is probably the main reason that I advocate the "GTA with Swords" position. The game's base content is so stupid and pointless, that there's more fun to be gained by radiant quests/dungeon diving and essentially performing a freeform roleplay, than there is from following Bethesda's structured questlines. One of my main problems with quest mods is that so often they feel completely disconnected from the base game's world, that you need to make a conscious decision to go out in search of them. There's always a nagging voice at the back of my head saying, "You haven't really accomplished anything by completing this" and it's pretty much true. The base game won't react to the decisions or accomplishments made in mods, only in base game content, which all sucks. I even have that problem with the DLC, which I've never been able to bring myself to finish.

DraQ

Arcane
I've never really got into mods, but I have to wonder if after 7 yeras they've actually released any gameplay/quest mods which make Skyrim a game worth playing?
Red is mechanics, blue in(d)igo is content:
  • Requiem touches and fixes virtually all mechanics turning Skyrim into immersive, satisfying and extremely lethal Action RPG (with heavy emphasis on both). With Fozar's DB patch you can finally go 2.0
  • 3DNPCs adds numerous characters, questlines and followers - the characters are interesting and colourful bunch, the questlines are interesting and mostly well integrated into TES lore, the followers are colourful and reactive - both to the mod's own additions and to the base game quests, events and even random dungeon details.*
  • Inigo adds colourful (also literally) follower that is also insanely reactive - this time in a more dynamic manner. Not much in terms of quests but will really squeeze a lot of fun out vanilla content including some vanilla followers
  • Qaxe's Questorium is a significant bunch of well constructed high level quest mods (also in terms of mapping), although it might require some manual patching for Requiem compatibility and might feature some looser-than-usual lore-correctness standards
  • Apocalypse is a spell mod for whatever magic needs you still need satisfying after Requiem's additions.
  • Dragon Combat Overhaul - if you can still find it - makes dragon fights much less formulaic, at the cost of some occasional odd behaviour

On the downside available player dialogue options can sometimes be disturbingly specific, the author cannot make locations, so he mostly copypastes with minor alterations, some characters and quest might be too gimmicky for their own good and the logic governing questline dependencies and prerequisites is arcane and labyrinthine - all in all those are minor issues compared to the upsides, though

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I rather like Legacy of the Dragonborn. Instead of trying to force Skyrim to be an RPG, it emphasizes the Animal Crossing with Dragons collectithon gameplay.

Forgotten City (another mod that is being turned into a standalone game) is good shit too. It makes talking to NPCs actually worthwhile, the questline has several possible endings, and most of it is done without any combat.

DraQ

Arcane
Quest mods? Vigilant is pretty good. I'd argue that it's more interesting than anything in the vanilla game in terms of player choice and consequence, but it also has specific good and bad endings, meaning that any player choice ultimately comes down to doing the "right" thing. Artifacts - The Breton Paladin introduces an extremely high quality set of armour and weapons for Crusader-type characters, and also requires the player to go through a sort of "budget Knights of the Nine" experience. I mainly recommend it because it helps to patch up the lack of Temple content in the game, and also because it is throughly superior to Bethesda's own Creation Club content. Others would suggest Project AHO, which I thought was OK but didn't blow me away. It's still arguably up to the quality of the main game (faint praise). I haven't checled out any of Trainwiz's work, such as The Wheels of Lull, and I doubt I'll ever get around to them at this point, but people seem to consider them to be high quality.

Considered Vigilant but it ultimately scared me off with some screenshots full of crosses/Christian symbolism - IMO that simply doesn't into TES (it's what original Diablo is for).
FrankFamily's stuff in general (like that Breton Paladin mod) are generally more of high quality artifact mods with some quest (rooted in lore) gating the goodies than quest mods. I do use them.
Wheels of Lull are on my to-do list and actually in my load order, but haven't interacted with the mod yet.

Funposter

Arcane

Considered Vigilant but it ultimately scared me off with some screenshots full of crosses/Christian symbolism - IMO that simply doesn't into TES (it's what original Diablo is for).
FrankFamily's stuff in general (like that Breton Paladin mod) are generally more of high quality artifact mods with some quest (rooted in lore) gating the goodies than quest mods. I do use them.
Wheels of Lull are on my to-do list and actually in my load order, but haven't interacted with the mod yet.

Aesthetically a lot of Vigilant is inspired by Dark Souls and a few other sources. For the most part it fits into the category of "lore friendly" (or as lore friendly as a quest mod ultimately about Molag Bal and Coldharbour can be) but there's definitely some stuff which is either out of place or overly referential. An armour set from Bloodborne in addition to a pistol (it's a staff) from the game stick out the most, although it's more of an easter egg than anything. It's easy to ignore or even miss.

re the Breton Paladin gear, even though it's an artifact mod at its core, I think the nature of the quest it offers makes it appealing for certain characters even disregarding the gear at the end. Skyrim was extremely lacking in Temple-centric content. After all, what was there in the base game? The Gildergreen and a couple of Mara quests? Not good enough imo.

I've also seen some mods that attempt to fix the underlying problems with the Faction questlines, but often they're too numerous and prominent for any modder to properly address. This is probably the main reason that I advocate the "GTA with Swords" position. The game's base content is so stupid and pointless, that there's more fun to be gained by radiant quests/dungeon diving and essentially performing a freeform roleplay, than there is from following Bethesda's structured questlines. One of my main problems with quest mods is that so often they feel completely disconnected from the base game's world, that you need to make a conscious decision to go out in search of them. There's always a nagging voice at the back of my head saying, "You haven't really accomplished anything by completing this" and it's pretty much true. The base game won't react to the decisions or accomplishments made in mods, only in base game content, which all sucks. I even have that problem with the DLC, which I've never been able to bring myself to finish.
>project AHO
I do not understand why it was praised at all, It's extremely disruptive and not subtle at all. Only one character has a good voice actor and the rest are cringeworthy bad. When you reach level 15 and the mod activates, it will remind you every 12h gameplay time that "DO YOU WANT TO BEGIN A FUN TIME ADVENTURE?". Then when the quest start you get massively fucked over as a character, since
all your gear gets taken away from you and you spend all except the final quest of the questline playing fetch while a really bad voice actor screeches at you. The voice actors insist on calling you n'wah and they can't pronounce it properly so it ends up actually humorous. All the characters are caricatures and don't fit into elder scrolls really at all. The locations are well designed, but the quest design is absolute shit and not interesting or immersive in any way. I was considering the whole playthrough of loading an old save and deactivating the mod. The characters you are supposed to sympathize with are badly written and the plot twist is that one of the guys just suddenly goes insane for no explained reason and you're given an illusion of choice over the situation. I had to finish a few side quests in it, because I had about 15 lbs of my inventory full of quest items I had been randomly given by the side quests I didn't even want to initiate. The side quests too are fetch, fyi.

tldr; Project AHO is playing fetch in a Telvanni village for 10 hours. If that's what you enjoy, go ahead.

Plisken

Learned
6839-12-1483156589.jpg

this is a troll job right?

I completely recommend Wheels of Lull, but TES lore wise, it’s Michael Kirkbride turned up to 11. The title comes from C0DA I think. If you’re not into i.e. 36 Lessons of Vivec and esoteric/metaphysical shit in Elder Scrolls, I wouldn’t get into it.

Beyond Reach is a very interesting idea, it takes you to a few hamlets/kingdom of Evermore in High Rock, although it’s very grimdark - think the first, second and fifth act in Witcher 1 with constant rain at night/cloudy day and murderous occultism. At least that’s what I thought. Some of the landscapes are not well designed, but it’s definitely worth checking out for what it is.

Interesting NPCs has some fantastic quests, with great scripting integrated into TESlore, but the requirements/triggers for them are so arcane and absurd that you literally have to play this through with a manual on the website, or you won’t ever experience half of them.

The guy who made New Vegas Bounties (I think 2 & 3 are superb, writing and scripting wise) made some “Blood of the Nord” mod, but it’s stormcloak only, and he seems generally disinterested in anything else than New Vegas (not that I blame him)

Funposter

Arcane
>project AHO
I do not understand why it was praised at all, It's extremely disruptive and not subtle at all. Only one character has a good voice actor and the rest are cringeworthy bad. When you reach level 15 and the mod activates, it will remind you every 12h gameplay time that "DO YOU WANT TO BEGIN A FUN TIME ADVENTURE?". Then when the quest start you get massively fucked over as a character, since
all your gear gets taken away from you and you spend all except the final quest of the questline playing fetch while a really bad voice actor screeches at you. The voice actors insist on calling you n'wah and they can't pronounce it properly so it ends up actually humorous. All the characters are caricatures and don't fit into elder scrolls really at all. The locations are well designed, but the quest design is absolute shit and not interesting or immersive in any way. I was considering the whole playthrough of loading an old save and deactivating the mod. The characters you are supposed to sympathize with are badly written and the plot twist is that one of the guys just suddenly goes insane for no explained reason and you're given an illusion of choice over the situation. I had to finish a few side quests in it, because I had about 15 lbs of my inventory full of quest items I had been randomly given by the side quests I didn't even want to initiate. The side quests too are fetch, fyi.

tldr; Project AHO is playing fetch in a Telvanni village for 10 hours. If that's what you enjoy, go ahead.

I pretty much agree with everything that you said. The voice acting is mostly bad (yet somehow a notch above a lot of other stuff), and the implementation is NOT GOOD. However I'd say that the storyline itself is interesting enough, and visually it's quite distinct. I wouldn't play through it again, or absolutely recommend it to be in someone's load order from the get-go, but I don't regret playing it. TBH the worst aspect of the implementation is that if you install it during a playthrough (which the prompt seems to imply was what the devs thought would happen), you then need to do things like run DynDOLOD a second time to account for it, which doesn't really respect the way that many players now actually play Skyrim.

Beyond Reach is a very interesting idea, it takes you to a few hamlets/kingdom of Evermore in High Rock, although it’s very grimdark - think the first, second and fifth act in Witcher 1 with constant rain at night/cloudy day and murderous occultism. At least that’s what I thought. Some of the landscapes are not well designed, but it’s definitely worth checking out for what it is.

I was very invested in Beyond Reach for the first few hours. Visually it's really nice, and some of the stuff like Evermore being blocked off via. magic due to plague, and needing to curry favour with the guards by doing their dirty work to gain access to the city, felt like content out of an actual RPG. Unfortunately, a lot of the city layut and design comes across as far more amateurish than the rest of the mod, which is really unfortunate. There was always something nagging at me while I played it, and I eventually realised that it was because the world is actually a pain in the ass to simply move around in.

Plisken

Learned
so i finally installed OMEGA's complete edition along with the necessary like 5 gigs of downloads..... it seems shit. Fresh out of a spawn, level one, i ran into a group of badits and subsequently some goblins, and i owned them all with my fucking woodchopper's axe. This was additionally with wildcat and ultimate combat.

I don't know, it seems off once you've played mods like requiem or YASH where a group of bandits is actually a very dangerous encounter. I'll be going back to that now, pity because stuff like immersive creatures and armor seemed like genuinely good additions.

Yosharian

Arcane
Immersive creatures is interesting until you hit something truly bizarre-looking, and it's in completely the wrong place for balance.

Funposter

Arcane
Immersive creatures is interesting until you hit something truly bizarre-looking, and it's in completely the wrong place for balance.
Thankfully it has a handy MCM menu to get rid of 90% of that stuff.

This was additionally with wildcat and ultimate combat.

I don't know, it seems off once you've played mods like requiem or YASH where a group of bandits is actually a very dangerous encounter. I'll be going back to that now, pity because stuff like immersive creatures and armor seemed like genuinely good additions.
It sure is lucky then that Wildcat allows you to dynamically tune the combat. You could also try Morrowloot in addition, since that de-levels the world and means that some dungeons are going to be tough if you enter them too early. Off the top of my head, I remember doing to Olaf One-Eye quest at level 15, and running into a Draugr with an Ebony War Axe. That was a tough encounter but it paid off big time in the end once I finally beat him after several reloads. The vampire quest in Morthal will also destroy a low level character, but it has a couple of big rewards for anyone willing to try and beat it.

DraQ

Arcane
That's relevant to my interest.

What amount of customization does it allow?
I might consider immersive creatures, if you can disable some stuff that is either problematic lore-wise (dramen? WTF), or ok but probably shouldn't be in Skyrim (minotaurs, goblins).

Also, how well does it play with Requiem 2.0?

It sure is lucky then that Wildcat allows you to dynamically tune the combat. You could also try Morrowloot in addition, since that de-levels the world and means that some dungeons are going to be tough if you enter them too early.
I no longer recommend Morrowloot.

Requiem takes better care of my de-leveling needs and (mostly FrankFamily's) individual artifact mods do a better job reintroducing artifacts of Tamrielic lore, both in terms of their looks, their mechanics, and them not just lying around somewhere for grabs.

AFAIK IA works with Requiem (given compatibility patch).

Funposter

Arcane
That's relevant to my interest.

What amount of customization does it allow?
I might consider immersive creatures, if you can disable some stuff that is either problematic lore-wise (dramen? WTF), or ok but probably shouldn't be in Skyrim (minotaurs, goblins).

I figured it would just be easier to take pictures of the MCM: https://imgur.com/a/UKzFRyI

Also, how well does it play with Requiem 2.0?

I have no idea, but this post gets to the heart of my problem with Requiem and pretty much all multi-system overhauls.

ortucis

Prophet
yet another example of modders knowing better than those bethesda hacks, give this guy the job in the industry he deserves!:

5488-19-1480710875.jpg

5488-18-1480710876.jpg

:prosper:
how the fuck is this an improvement? The first looks like what it is supposed to be. The second has some kind of fungus rot infested god knows what where the thatch should be and the wood looks nothing like the actual fucking trees surrounding the area where they wouldve got the wood from. Great color palette too, dark brown on dark brown, on dark brown.
Clearly you need to download the 4k tree textures as well for maximum immersion. It shouldn't even have to be said at this point.

I like how most Skyrim modders trying to "improve" the visuals are actually worse than Bethesda artists.

"HERP DERP I MAEK 4K TEXTURE IT IS BETTER NOW AMIRITE??"

:hmmm:

Funposter

Arcane
I have no idea, but this post gets to the heart of my problem with Requiem and pretty much all multi-system overhauls.
OTOH multi-system overhauls can be cohesive.
I agree, the problem I tend to find is that one person's idea of balance or fun can be radically different from another's. If even a single aspect a full overhaul isn't to your liking, it can be very difficult to fix. This is especially true of Skyrim, because it's a game where just about everything needs to be fixed in some way, so not having the modularity afforded by using twenty mods as opposed to one can be quite crippling.

I like how most Skyrim modders trying to "improve" the visuals are actually worse than Bethesda artists.

"HERP DERP I MAEK 4K TEXTURE IT IS BETTER NOW AMIRITE??"

:hmmm:

I sometimes get the feeling that these amateur texture artists design everything in a vacuum. Very rarely are the textures actually bad on their own - if you want to see that, go look at "high res" Morrowind mods. They often, however, miss the point of the original artstyle, or go over the top in attempting to colour-correct, which then causes them to be disastrous when combined with an ENB. I'd say that Noble Skyrim is probably the best texture overhaul out there, mainly because the stylistic changes are minor. The old Skyrim 2K stuff from 2013ish was pretty good in that regard too.

Yosharian

Arcane

That's fair enough, but in my opinion once you start having to delve into MCM menus to 'get rid of' content, you're having to fight with the mod to get the experience that the mod should already provide.

The mod should, out of the box:

a) be lore friendly
b) place monsters carefully in order to preserve balance
c) contain monsters that are not overly powerful

This mod fails on most of those fronts, and I dislike the idea of having to go into MCM menus to make the mod work, especially since it is a hassle to even get the mod working with Requiem in the first place.

You can say you dislike Requiem because of this, but in my opinion the fault lies with Immersive Creatures, not Requiem. A mod that simply adds creatures to the game should take into account other mods that change the way game balance is determined - hardly anyone that is serious about their modding is working in a vanilla environment anymore.

Also the mod isn't being kept up to date, and for a mod that changes as much as this mod does, that's death. Just look at the comments section, tons of reports of crashing, bugs, etc. This mod is a waste of time.

Good modding practice produces mods that are as modular as possible, and take into account the modding environment in which they exist. A gigantic mod like Requiem does not work around other mods - they work around it.

Funposter

Arcane
I think you're severely overestimating:

1. How popular Requiem actually is. Ultimate Combat 3.0 has roughly the same amount of unique downloads, in the 320,000 range. Ordinator has over 500,000. Wildcat, which is comparitively new, has 146,000. This is taking into account only the downloads for the regular version of Skyrim. If we add SE to the mix, Wildcat is now doing Requiem numbers, and Ordinator has surpassed 1,000,000 unique downloads. Even Morrowloot, which is relatively niche, adds up to around 200,000 unique downloads when you add up its various iterations.
2. How many modders actually DO work within a heavily modded environment

JK, who is reponsible for for one of the two most popular city/town overhauls, has openly stated that he plays the game using 1K textures. This is why his towns, which are very dense of have a decent amount of clutter, tend to cause FPS drops when playing with a heavily modded game. To give you an idea of how often people with town overhauls are using texture overhauls, Noble Skyrim actually has 50,000 more unique downloads than JK's Skyrim town overhaul. That's just one pack compared to another. Take into account other town overhauls, other texture packs, etc. etc. The Skyrim modding scene is so gargantuan and labyrinthine that it's damn near impossible for a mod author to actually create patches and design a mod to work with various configurations beyond their own, even if other configurations are fairly popular. Anyone requesting mod authors to bend for Requiem users, IMO, is living in 2013 when the options for overhauling Skyrim significantly were all total dogshit in comparison. Think back to perk mods like ACE, or how static and clunky the original iterations of mods like Ultimate Combat, Deadly Combat, Combat Evolved etc. were.

To put it another way, let's look at google trends. Below you can see that as soon as Ordinator released, it kept pace with or was slightly more popular than Requiem. Wildcat is below both of them, since there are people who actually like Skyrim's combat (god forbid). Far above all of those search terms though, is 'Skyrim Reddit", because that's where most knuckleheads looking for mods will probably go to, that's where people discuss the game, and that's who most mod authors are developing for.

xUcWA5r.png

edit: also re IC, you don't really need to "go through menus". You can just click on Purist Mode under 'General' which removes the bullshit. Immersive Creatures is also about 3-4x as popular as Requiem which adds to my above point

Yosharian

Arcane
I think you're severely overestimating:

1. How popular Requiem actually is. Ultimate Combat 3.0 has roughly the same amount of unique downloads, in the 320,000 range. Ordinator has over 500,000. Wildcat, which is comparitively new, has 146,000. This is taking into account only the downloads for the regular version of Skyrim. If we add SE to the mix, Wildcat is now doing Requiem numbers, and Ordinator has surpassed 1,000,000 unique downloads. Even Morrowloot, which is relatively niche, adds up to around 200,000 unique downloads when you add up its various iterations.
2. How many modders actually DO work within a heavily modded environment

JK, who is reponsible for for one of the two most popular city/town overhauls, has openly stated that he plays the game using 1K textures. This is why his towns, which are very dense of have a decent amount of clutter, tend to cause FPS drops when playing with a heavily modded game. To give you an idea of how often people with town overhauls are using texture overhauls, Noble Skyrim actually has 50,000 more unique downloads than JK's Skyrim town overhaul. That's just one pack compared to another. Take into account other town overhauls, other texture packs, etc. etc. The Skyrim modding scene is so gargantuan and labyrinthine that it's damn near impossible for a mod author to actually create patches and design a mod to work with various configurations beyond their own, even if other configurations are fairly popular. Anyone requesting mod authors to bend for Requiem users, IMO, is living in 2013 when the options for overhauling Skyrim significantly were all total dogshit in comparison. Think back to perk mods like ACE, or how static and clunky the original iterations of mods like Ultimate Combat, Deadly Combat, Combat Evolved etc. were.

To put it another way, let's look at google trends. Below you can see that as soon as Ordinator released, it kept pace with or was slightly more popular than Requiem. Wildcat is below both of them, since there are people who actually like Skyrim's combat (god forbid). Far above all of those search terms though, is 'Skyrim Reddit", because that's where most knuckleheads looking for mods will probably go to, that's where people discuss the game, and that's who most mod authors are developing for.

edit: also re IC, you don't really need to "go through menus". You can just click on Purist Mode under 'General' which removes the bullshit. Immersive Creatures is also about 3-4x as popular as Requiem which adds to my above point
I never said Requiem was popular.

I don't use town overhauls really. I'm talking about gameplay/mechanics overhauls.

I take your point that there are many other of those available than simply Requiem, but my point was broadly about mods such as Immersive Creatures needing to fit into a modding environment where such overhauls exist, rather than 'it needs to work with Requiem because Requiem is popular', which I never said.

Another way of putting it would be: a mod such as Immersive Creatures needs to realise that a lot of users aren't working in a vanilla environment when it comes to levelled lists, mechanics, etc.

Fair enough about the purist mode, but for me the fact that the mod hasn't been designed principally to be lore-friendly is a red flag, and like I said the mod isn't even being kept updated anyway. It's a dead mod as far as I'm concerned.

Oh and also I think 1k textures are fine. 2k is better for me personally. 4k is way over the top.

Last edited:

ortucis

Prophet
I sometimes get the feeling that these amateur texture artists design everything in a vacuum. Very rarely are the textures actually bad on their own - if you want to see that, go look at "high res" Morrowind mods. They often, however, miss the point of the original artstyle, or go over the top in attempting to colour-correct, which then causes them to be disastrous when combined with an ENB. I'd say that Noble Skyrim is probably the best texture overhaul out there, mainly because the stylistic changes are minor. The old Skyrim 2K stuff from 2013ish was pretty good in that regard too.

That's the biggest problem. These people are too lazy to stick to the art style of the vanilla game and/or think they can do better (have their own "vision") than what the original developers had in mind. I've passed over so many texture packs for games and usually never use them for this reason.

DeusEx HD textures pack recreates everything keeping original style. One of the few mods which does HD textures right (along with my own VTM Redemption HDTP which is still unfinished cause I'm lazy :smug:).

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Because I'm a fucking masochist I was about to start a new build for S:SE tonight and goddamn todd pushed an update for his shitty creation club today which broke skse64. :x

Deleted Member 16721

Hey guys. I'm going to be doing a run of Skyrim VR for the first time and am wondering what mods would be recommended for it. It basically uses the SE version and most mods from that work in VR. I'm mostly interestsed in crisper textures and maybe a light ENB, and also content, as well as gameplay enhancements like Character Creation Overhaul which makes the game more like Morrowind. Any list you can point me to or curate one for me? I have a 1080ti GPU and will have a new monster CPU and rig to play on, so mods shouldn't be much of an issue in terms of performance hits. Just looking for good stuff to add to the game before I start. I'd also like to stay somewhat close to the developers vision (in terms of graphics as well as gameplay) and not add too much that can muck up the game on a Legendary run. Cheers!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom