Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
Correct. And the 'evul plan' was revealed in all its glory with F76, which is an EPIC level of experiment in "what can we get away with". Re-re-re-used engine, remove NPCs cos now the other players are NPCs, barest minimum of 'quests', slap in some 'current year trends' like battle royale, spend all your dev money on the in game store while very slowly trickling in pay-to-win items amongst the over-priced cosmetics for real monies.

Regardless of how you feel about earlier Bethesda stuff, at least there was always some amount of effort to make an entertaining game for the sake of being a game. F76 is a crude and barely functional framework of a game draped over an online service with one purpose: to milk money out of the Fallout 3/4 fanboy whales for the next X amount of years until they make Fallout 5.

Honestly F76 was a good idea they just made it poorly. You complain about lack of NPCs and quests, but bethesda NPCs and quests always suck dick. If they had made Fallout 5, a single player sequel to FO4, it would have just had a bunch of shitty lifeless NPCs and shitty "go to this location and kill raiders" quests like every other bethesda game.

Creating a big sandbox with base-building elements and emergent gameplay arising from the playerbase was a theoretical step in the right direction but they somehow managed to fuck up the sandbox, building, and emergent elements so the game sucked. I'm not sure if there's anything that modern bethesda can do well at this point..

I'm not sure if there's anything that modern bethesda can do well at this point..

To be fair, Bethesda has always been terrible at implementation. What changed over the years is their ambition. Daggerfall was a massively ambitious game that was actually quite dull (mostly empty space and cardboard NPCs dispensing procedural quests), Morrowind was fairly ambitious but pretty dull (Sleeping Sickness-level combat, wiki-NPCs, copy-paste dungeons).

Now, their incompetence at implementation is coupled to their newfound lack of ambition: boys, let's just create a bunch of silly towns, some fetch quests, and copy paste dungeons. Maybe their theory going into this was that if they simplify their goals, their untalented workers will succeed more with a lower bar. But that definitely has not worked.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Morrowind was fairly ambitious but pretty dull (Sleeping Sickness-level combat, wiki-NPCs, copy-paste dungeons)

Nah, Morrowind was great.
Of those 3, only the copy-pasta dungeons are a valid point.
Combat while not certantely Severance or Dark Messiah, is however pretty hilarious once you have a good grasp on the system works and how to bask in it's broken ridiculousness.
And get the fuck out, wiki style dialogue system is amazing. I wish RPG devs would do then more often and stoped wasting money on full voice-overs for every goddamn NPC, and used that money on better gameplay.

Last edited:

Puukko

Arcane
Am I the only one with a heavy preference for mods that make the game darker? Nights are properly dark but navigation without a lantern or light emitting spells is still possible thanks to the snow and the celestially populated sky while dungeons are VERY dark to the point where even ambient spell effects can be valuable for navigation purposes. I do have a lantern, but is disabled when crouching as well as in vampire lord form, while I dislike how ugly light spells make the game look so I only use them when I absolutely have to. This way light sources in the dungeon itself become very valuable as well.

AVVjR9b.png

Taken a couple minutes before I fainted due to frostbite and was dragged to an inn.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I don't mind it too much for interiors even if I don't find it very fun, the AI doesn't care about light and as you yourself said, the light spells look fugly.

But for the outdoors it just isn't realistic (as currently implemented in mods), and it's just more frustrating than fun because of it.

Take your screenshot for example
1. You have 2 full moons in the sky - it's too dark for how much light this should be contributing.
2. There's a giant green aurora in the air - It's way too dark for how much green light this should be contributing
3. The snow particles don't adjust to nighttime lighting (for whatever reason) - so you just see white speckles everywhere - especially under heavy snowfall - as it stops your eyes and the game's tone mapping from adjusting properly for the darkness.

Yosharian

Arcane
For bandits and the like it is very unimmersive the way AI ignores light, however for other monsters such as Falmer, Draugr, and so on, you can explain it away by imagining that they possess some sort of low-light vision or darkvision.

It's still frustrating though

deuxhero

Arcane
Free weekend on Steam. Curiously not paired with a sale (maybe it's waiting till the weekened proper). Sadly Enderal won't work with free weekend.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Has anyone encountered an issue where the notification messages stop showing up? The ones that appear in the top left corner. They show up normally when I start a game, but after ~10 minutes or so they stop and do not come back unless I completely shut SSE down and restart. It's not SkyUI, SkyHUD or iHud behind it, because I've been using them for ages without any issues, this just recently started happening. I have been fiddling with mods, adding - testing - removing them, so that's why I can't just simply remove one to make it go away. Any ideas where to start diagnosing the issue?

Load Order: https://pastebin.com/XJqGDDi5 Plugins: https://pastebin.com/Hj5g4zm4

UPDATE:

it's a bug with CCOR and will be fixed soon. A workaround is to open the console and write:

setini "bShowHUDMessages:Interface" 1

Last edited:

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Any plans to patch Requiem into Special Edition yet? I've read they have no plans, but since the SKSE came out, is it in the works? I don't want to scroll back and look for updates on this. I'll probably finally finish a run if they get Requiem into SE.

Vorark

Erudite
Well, they are certainly considering it:

Requiem SSE

In parallel to these releases, we’ll also prepare all the internal changes that are necessary to move the mod to SSE by the time 4.0.0 is there. This primarily means changing the Reqtificator code to work maintainably with SSE. Some other tasks related to internal setup and workflow of the project also need to be done, but these won’t have any changes directly visible for you. It’s about our build pipeline, repository management and other invisible cogwheels that keep Requiem development moving. (Nope, we will not transform Invisible Entities into Invisible Cogwheels in 3.2.

https://requiem.atlassian.net/wiki/...40385/A+roadmap+for+the+next+Requiem+releases

Reinhardt

Arcane
So i was not following skyrim for many years and it seems there is hundred editions of the game now. Which version should i pirate to play loverslab mods these days?

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Well, they are certainly considering it:

Requiem SSE

In parallel to these releases, we’ll also prepare all the internal changes that are necessary to move the mod to SSE by the time 4.0.0 is there. This primarily means changing the Reqtificator code to work maintainably with SSE. Some other tasks related to internal setup and workflow of the project also need to be done, but these won’t have any changes directly visible for you. It’s about our build pipeline, repository management and other invisible cogwheels that keep Requiem development moving. (Nope, we will not transform Invisible Entities into Invisible Cogwheels in 3.2.

https://requiem.atlassian.net/wiki/...40385/A+roadmap+for+the+next+Requiem+releases
Googled it really quick, and it's supposedly already ported. It's just not the actual mod team that did it, so I'd be fearful of bugs. That mod team is lazy as fuck, btw :lol:.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
you can get SSE requiem along with a plethora of other mods installed with minimal fuss through Wabbajack now. Theres a modlist built around Requiem 1.9.4 and Aztweaks. I didn't get it, because A) i refuse to install 210gb worth of mods on principle B) if you dont pay for a premium nexus account, you still have to manually click the download buttons in wabbajack, which is a pain in the ass for hundreds of mods, although admittedly less of a PITA than following one of these dorks's guides to completion. I guess this thing is trying to be the SSE equivalent of that youtube dork's requiem package for oldrim.

you can get SSE requiem along with a plethora of other mods installed with minimal fuss through Wabbajack now. Theres a modlist built around Requiem 1.9.4 and Aztweaks. I didn't get it, because A) i refuse to install 210gb worth of mods on principle B) if you dont pay for a premium nexus account, you still have to manually click the download buttons in wabbajack, which is a pain in the ass for hundreds of mods, although admittedly less of a PITA than following one of these dorks's guides to completion. I guess this thing is trying to be the SSE equivalent of that youtube dork's requiem package for oldrim.
I just pay for a month of premium, download the Wabbajack profiles I want then forget about nexus until I need it again. There's only a few wabbajack profiles for each Beth game so it's not hard to pick the ones you want. Wabbajack is so bloody useful if you're not afflicted with enough autism to spend your weekend following a mod guide. So it's worth a fiver for a month of Nexus pretending not to act like a dodgy Russian file sharing site.

cretin

Magister
Douchebag!
I just pay for a month of premium, download the Wabbajack profiles I want then forget about nexus until I need it again. There's only a few wabbajack profiles for each Beth game so it's not hard to pick the ones you want. Wabbajack is so bloody useful if you're not afflicted with enough autism to spend your weekend following a mod guide. So it's worth a fiver for a month of Nexus pretending not to act like a dodgy Russian file sharing site.

problem is these profiles still contain 100+gb of unnecessary shit. I opted to go the traditional route and just install mods that actually improve the visuals as opposed to endless amounts of shit retextures. I swear these dorks wont be happy until theyve replaced every single asset in the game.

I agree in principle however, that if you wanted to play one of these huge overhauls that wabbajack is a godsend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom