Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News In 2008 his swords become sharper still!

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
mondblut said:
I've heard that, and that is good of course. Still, I've seen people in other threads happily claiming they'll buy EE all over again despite having an original.

The Horror!!

mondblut said:
And don't forget about NEW customers. Most of them wouldn't even consider giving a try to a year old game, and here comes a chance to market to them a new release all over again for a price of recording new voiceovers and compiling a new installshield package.

Damn you CDProject! How *dare* you try to get new customers!!!

mondblut said:
It's a normal business practice

No it's not.

mondblut said:
and I see nothing wrong with it

Yes you did. See your last post.

mondblut said:
just suprised people are so enthusiastic and idealistic about it. Just another "GOTY version", optionally available as free download, that's all.

Nice cover.

mondblut said:
Oh, so you *do* instist that TW is like Dungeon Lords instead

Didn't say that. Just because an update is large doesen't mean the original game sucked. Check your brain, 'cause your logic is broken.

Also, don't be a douchebag. When your post is the last one and you're adding another reply about the same topic, edit your post instead of making a new one.

DraQ

Arcane
mondblut said:
I've heard that, and that is good of course. Still, I've seen people in other threads happily claiming they'll buy EE all over again despite having an original.
So? They have already given they money once (they could have warezed the game instead), why all the fuss over those who want to do it for the second time? TW is one of the few modern games worth their price.

And don't forget about NEW customers. Most of them wouldn't even consider giving a try to a year old game, and here comes a chance to market to them a new release all over again for a price of recording new voiceovers and compiling a new installshield package.
So? Depending on the point of view it's either nobly rectifying the failure of the free market and user dumbfuckery causing "waah! this gaem is 1 yr old! its craep!1" mindset, or milking the retards which isn't exactly disagreeable either.

It's a normal business practice and I see nothing wrong with it, just suprised people are so enthusiastic and idealistic about it. Just another "GOTY version", optionally available as free download, that's all.
How is total free overhaul "normal practice"? For what I've seen, selling tiny bits of content that already was in the game before it was cut for grossly exaggerated prices while neglecting to rectify even the most glaring issues in the official patches is the 'normal business practice' nowadays.

mondblut

Arcane
Jeff Graw said:
Damn you CDProject! How *dare* you try to get new customers!!!

:roll: Quod licet CDProject, non licet Bethsoft. When a codex-unapproved company does it, all of you jump at the chance to tear it a new one. If they are codex-approved, the people rejoiced. I smell hypocrisy.

Didn't say that. Just because an update is large doesen't mean the original game sucked. Check your brain, 'cause your logic is broken.

Well, according to you, the graphics needed a "total overhaul" (define it, BTW), combat had to be tweaked, dialogues rewritten and voiceovers rerecorded. Did I miss anything not included in patch 1.3?

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
mondblut said:
:roll: Quod licet CDProject, non licet Bethsoft. When a codex-unapproved company does it, all of you jump at the chance to tear it a new one. If they are codex-approved, the people rejoiced. I smell hypocrisy.

And when is the last time Bethsoft released an update this major for free? Beth charges for the smallest stuff -- remember horse armor? If CDPR was trying to pull a Beth, they would get a very hostile response here.

mondblut said:
Well, according to you, the graphics needed a "total overhaul" (define it, BTW), combat had to be tweaked, dialogues rewritten and voiceovers rerecorded. Did I miss anything not included in patch 1.3?

That's the worst strawman I've seen since... well... ever. I didn't say that the game *needed* anything. Again, check your malfunctioning brain.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Good job attacking someone who is basically on your side.

Good thing the Codex doesn't have rabid fanboys like these evil TESF.

Fez

Erudite
mondblut said:
I've heard that, and that is good of course. Still, I've seen people in other threads happily claiming they'll buy EE all over again despite having an original

I believe they are offering a cheaper version of the EE with the extra goodies for those who already have the original game. You get the "collector's edition" stuff for a budget price that way, rather than having to pay for the full game and ending up with two copies of the original discs.

mondblut

Arcane
Jeff Graw said:
And when is the last time Bethsoft released an update this major for free? Beth charges for the smallest stuff -- remember horse armor? If CDPR was trying to pull a Beth, they would get a very hostile response here.

So a company releases a patch, and also reissues the game in retail already patched. Common practice as well. What's to celebrate?

That's the worst strawman I've seen since... well... ever. I didn't say that the game *needed* anything. Again, check your malfunctioning brain.

You still didn't explain what's a "total graphical overhaul" is. So far the only difference between EE and patch 1.3 I know of is voiceovers.

pkt-zer0

Scholar
mondblut said:
So a company releases a patch, and also reissues the game in retail already patched. Common practice as well. What's to celebrate?
The amount of effort that went into the patch? Don't be silly. Oblivion had half of its dialogues cut as well, did that get restored in an official patch?

Dandelion

Novice
mondblut said:
Common practice? lol
They have already repeated it to you a dozen times, this game *do not need* any other patch.
They've done a *huge* work to perfection a game that was already over the common standards, they're making it for free for those who already own the game, and they're also releasing a budget version (15€?) of the EE for those who want its package along with the free "patch".
That's enough to celebrate.

WTF are you complaining about?
About the hype? Christ, do they need your permission to hype their work?

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
You guys do realise this is a news item about a trailer that's been released for a patch, right? The HYPE TRAIN's a-coming. CHOO-CHOO. I mean, wow. I make a post talking about the potential for this to become an industry trend (which quite frankly, we would all rage against if as I said, Bethesda started doing this) and the butthurt "it was all an evil coup to oust VD!" crowd come out of the woordwork.

Patching a game and adding in fixes is one thing. Hyping it to the moon and back as some kind of second coming is entirely another. God forbid this become an industry standard. Shitty, unfinished crap released the first time around with the marketing band-wagon being fired up again for the Game of the Year Edition. And yes, sorry folks, this is a Game of the Year Edition with its collectable tin, tangible map and "making of" DVD. We wouldn't tolerate it for Oblivion but for an action-RPG with an incredibly boring main character and plot and unacceptable loading times, it's somehow fantastic that they're doing it for free. God bless 'em!

All you guys being so impressed that they're doing it for free need a reality check. Doing it for free isn't an option. It's mandatory. If they weren't fixing this shit up for free, the game would simply remain unplayable.

I wonder though, what happens if the Enhanced Edition needs some more patching? Will we get another trailer? You guys also listened to the re-did voice-over examples too, right? Before / After. Wow, they're like, totally better now.

Jeff Graw said:
A glorified patch with more gameplay, a total graphical overhaul, tweaked combat system, and completely redone dialog and voice acting? That's completely like Oblivion GOTY.
Then the game must have been complete and utter shit in the first place. Total graphical overhaul? Why, do they suck that bad they needed a re-release to fix it? Tweaked combat system? Combat in the original is that bad too, huh? Completely re-done dialogue and voice acting as well? This game must stink. And we haven't even talked about the loading times yet. With all these "enhancements", was the game even playable the first time around?

If it was all fine in the original as you attest, then why are they re-doing it all? Why not work on a proper sequel or a real expansion pack? If the original really was that piss-poor it needed all that work done though, then it's the sign of a game which never should've been released in the first place and an indication that this content is required for the game to be acceptable. So you'll excuse me for digging the boot in when you try to hype your patch.

Jeff Graw said:
mondblut said:
No it's not.
Somebody else already raised the UT3 --> UT2004 example. Also, Blizzard have been releasing patches without the hype for years. Of course, they don't release an unplayable heap of shit in the first place.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Well actually, there is a reason for bitching. We perfectly know there is good company Blizzard always that releases their games perfectly balanced, with no glitches, and full experience from the box. And they don't require any add-on that fixes most issues, balances game, adding must-be-in-from-start features... oh wait..
Ok. At least they don't charge you for add-on.. oh wait...
So you need to play twice to play one game. How come?

Telling about new trends in gaming industry, eh?

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
Jasede said:
Good job attacking someone who is basically on your side.

Ummmm... what?

mondblut said:

Several people have been over this with you already. No other company around today would put this much work into a product and release it as a free update.

Jasede said:
You still didn't explain what's a "total graphical overhaul" is. So far the only difference between EE and patch 1.3 I know of is voiceovers.

The biggest difference is in the character models, which look much improved. Better animation and random differences between previously identical models as well. Textures have also been enhanced if I remember correctly. Saw a side to side video awhile back and absolutely everything looked better.

Jasede said:
Now THAT is a strawman, pkt, no offense.

No it wasn't. A strawman would have involve attacking a misrepresentation of monblut's argument. Show me where pkt set up an altered version of monblut's argument and knocked it down.

Micmu

Magister
Meh, te patch is free for owners of original release, they aren't pulling Dung Lords, so I won't "bitch" this time.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Watch who you quote. Mondblut is actually liking The Witcher, it is the patch-hype and double-standard that annoys him. Strawman was the wrong word, but he was comparing apples to oranges.

mondblut

Arcane
pkt-zer0 said:
The amount of effort that went into the patch? Don't be silly.

Any developers are supposed to put their maximum effort into their patches, aren't they? Or better yet, in an original release that wouldn't require patches in the first place. Of course the butchered english dialogues are an Atari fault as far as I heard, still, there is nothing particularly outstanding in developers correcting post-release problems with their game. If said problems are so many, well, too bad.

Frankly, customer attitudes like that are disturbing. It's no longer enough that releases of buggy and plain broken games are tolerated and accepted as common - now you make even the post-release support seem like some praiseworthy generous and heroic effort rather than a necessary duty of a maker of a faulty product it is supposed to be.

Oblivion had half of its dialogues cut as well, did that get restored in an official patch?

Oblivion had dialogues? :shock:

Sergei Quaid

Novice
Wow, TW at release was a heap of useless shit unplayable broken crapfest?
Boy, I sure missed that part

DU you should probably stop posting news eh? Go back to sheep farming or whatever it is that you do down there.

mondblut

Arcane
Dandelion said:
mondblut said:
Common practice? lol

Well, sort of. Until recently a company releasing a buggy game was supposed to fix its bugs after release. Else the marketing of a inherently faulty product would constitute as fraud morally if not legally.

Of course, now it may seem fixing bugs in a game is an act of noble charity on developer's side, not his duty to customers. Charity well worth video trailers and full-page ads.

Reissuing a repackaged product with latest bugfixes is also common for more popular games.

They have already repeated it to you a dozen times, this game *do not need* any other patch.

Very good. Since when such an achievement became worthy of cover stories?

WTF are you complaining about?
About the hype? Christ, do they need your permission to hype their work?

Umm, no. Just like I don't need yours to voice my opinion.

Dandelion

Novice
DarkUnderlord said:
God forbid this become an industry standard. Shitty, unfinished crap released the first time around with the marketing band-wagon being fired up again for the Game of the Year Edition. And yes, sorry folks, this is a Game of the Year Edition with its collectable tin, tangible map and "making of" DVD. We wouldn't tolerate it for Oblivion but for an action-RPG with an incredibly boring main character and plot and unacceptable loading times, it's somehow fantastic that they're doing it for free. God bless 'em!
DarkUnderlord said:
If they weren't fixing this shit up for free, the game would simply remain unplayable.
DarkUnderlord said:
Of course, they don't release an unplayable heap of shit in the first place.
You are totally wrong, at least from the 1.2 patch.
This isn't Gothic III.

DarkUnderlord said:
If the original really was that piss-poor it needed all that work done though, then it's the sign of a game which never should've been released in the first place and an indication that this content is required for the game to be acceptable.
Perfection a game through a "patch" (how do I have to call it?) isn't always equal to "the original game sucks", do you understand it?

Lumpy

Arcane
mondblut said:
Very good. Since when such an achievement became worthy of cover stories?
It hasn't. But you, you lovable retard, claimed that the game was unplayable and that's why it needed to be fixed.
Also, DU, I haven't played The Witcher, but from the other posts here I get the impression that it wasn't an unplayable mess, like you claim.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
DarkUnderlord said:
quite frankly, we would all rage against if as I said, Bethesda started doing this

We'd all rage if Bethesda started offering major updates for free instead of overcharging for small pointless ones? Ummm, nope. We aren't all like you DU. Mind you, if Bethesda was hyping a stupid idea in a free update ("Now with super-fatmanX2-OMGZ-02!") we'd still have a good laugh.
DarkUnderlord said:
All you guys being so impressed that they're doing it for free need a reality check. Doing it for free isn't an option. It's mandatory. If they weren't fixing this shit up for free, the game would simply remain unplayable.

:facepalm:

Beyond stupid... I think you're confusing The Witcher with Gothic 3.

DarkUnderlord said:
Then the game must have been complete and utter shit in the first place. Total graphical overhaul? Why, do they suck that bad they needed a re-release to fix it? Tweaked combat system? Combat in the original is that bad too, huh? Completely re-done dialogue and voice acting as well? This game must stink. And we haven't even talked about the loading times yet. With all these "enhancements", was the game even playable the first time around? If it was all fine in the original as you attest, then why are they re-doing it all? Why not work on a proper sequel or a real expansion pack? If the original really was that piss-poor it needed all that work done though, then it's the sign of a game which never should've been released in the first place and an indication that this content is required for the game to be acceptable. So you'll excuse me for digging the boot in when you try to hype your patch.

You're guilty of the same fallacy and piss poor reasoning as that other moron. Please refer to my ass kicking of mondblut above.

DarkUnderlord said:
Jeff Graw said:
mondblut said:
No it's not.
Somebody else already raised the UT3 --> UT2004 example.

Are you.... trying to look like a retard?

Lumpy

Arcane
mondblut said:
Lumpy said:
It hasn't. But you, you lovable retard, claimed that the game was unplayable.

Prooflink, or you are illiterate moron.
First, moron is a noun and thus should have an article before it. It sounds dreadfully close to "You are HEADCRAB ZOMBIE" at the moment, and you don't want to go down that path.

Second,
Dark Underlord said:
Then the game must have been complete and utter shit in the first place. Total graphical overhaul? Why, do they suck that bad they needed a re-release to fix it? Tweaked combat system? Combat in the original is that bad too, huh? Completely re-done dialogue and voice acting as well? This game must stink. And we haven't even talked about the loading times yet. With all these "enhancements", was the game even playable the first time around?
"Gothic 2 had better graphics, better gameplay, combat and voice-acting than Gothic 1. With all these enhancements, was its predecessor even playable the first time around?"
Welcome to the real world, dumbfuck. Improving something doesn't mean it used to suck.

Thalkirst

Novice
DarkUnderlord said:
You guys do realise this is a news item about a trailer that's been released for a patch, right? The HYPE TRAIN's a-coming. CHOO-CHOO. I mean, wow. I make a post talking about the potential for this to become an industry trend (which quite frankly, we would all rage against if as I said, Bethesda started doing this) and the butthurt "it was all an evil coup to oust VD!" crowd come out of the woordwork.

Patching a game and adding in fixes is one thing. Hyping it to the moon and back as some kind of second coming is entirely another. God forbid this become an industry standard. Shitty, unfinished crap released the first time around with the marketing band-wagon being fired up again for the Game of the Year Edition. And yes, sorry folks, this is a Game of the Year Edition with its collectable tin, tangible map and "making of" DVD. We wouldn't tolerate it for Oblivion but for an action-RPG with an incredibly boring main character and plot and unacceptable loading times, it's somehow fantastic that they're doing it for free. God bless 'em!

DU, you do have a valid point with the unnecessary hype and the GOTY trick companies pull.

But, for me at least, The Witcher was fun to play. It had its flaws, but apparently these get fixed with EE.

Validating companies that are at least striving to serve the customers and taking real responsibility for the bugs & flaws is the way to go if you/we want to see some change.

Also, the release dates are usually set and enforced by the publisher AFAIK. So, if something is rushed then the right target is Atari.

All I want to say is that there are much better targets if you want to criticize companies for selling a certain part of their souls for money.

CD Project is one of the better developers. At least their attitude is better tha most developers have. Therefore, I think they deserve a bit better treatment.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Hmmm...

Now if I recall correctly, the main thing of Enhanced Edition - other than rounding up whatever bugs are left - is the redone text/voice-overs, right? Something that Atari fucked up, pretty much.

I think we can all agree them patching that is a good thing. Just like any patch is a good thing. It being free kind of speaks for itself, since it expands existing content but doesn't add any additional content (traditionally where the line is drawn for charging money).

But seriously, is anyone going to sit here with a blank look on their face and applaud a stupid trailer that shows fuck-all of the actual game? Without even venturing into "codex double-standards"-territory, that's pretty stupid, period. It's a stupid, meaningless trailer meant to hype up what is essentially a patch and that is stupid. It'd be stupid if it were a stupid, meaningless trailer hyping up an actual expansion because stupid, meaningless trailers are always stupid, but it's not even that.

Stupid.

The outside swing argument that CD Projekt Red is so great that we should forgive behaviour from them that we don't from other companies is a bit on the hypocritical side. But heck, if you want to go for the real-world-view thing of "companies just need to hype these days, man, it sucks but it is what it is" then yeah, pretty much.

Lumpy said:
Second,
mondblut said:

That's not mondblut (mouthblood?) you're quoting, it's DU.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom