Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed In the grim darkness of Fantasy Poland, there is only potato. (Thea: The Awakening LP)

Black

Arcane
Slav magik klaims another viktim! Praise Perun!

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Perun is pretty stronk. Got the 300+ difficulty achievement simultaneously with the <100 turns before victory achievement.. I believe it was turn 72 when I won that game?

Kayerts

Arcane
Glad you're having fun with it, Azira!

Sorry for not following through with the Return of the Giants DLC, bros. I started the playthrough and kept waiting for something shitty to happen so that I could write about it, but unfortunately I won first. (The last fight is some bullshit, by the way. Up until that point, you've been facing giants, which range from half as strong to roughly as strong as the final boss of the base game, though they appear in greater numbers. Then you get this asshole Giant Overlord who has 570 HP and does 200 crushing damage, i.e. he one-shots two of your dudes every turn, and . It's winnable, but it's a pretty hilarious difficulty spike.)

I think a lot of the enjoyment from a game like this comes from disasters, or at least unexpected happenings, and I think I got a little too good at it to make those happen. Note that being good at Thea is not really a matter of strategic thinking; it's more based on knowing the consequences of choices and the opportunities afforded in them. If you know that the silver altar sighting lets you turn a useless villager into a demigod-tier werewolf, for example, then getting that event makes it hard to lose. If the main quest locations spawn close enough to your base that you can snag the ancient wood early, you can make pikes, which let you survive until you generate enough lucky events to win. And on and on; it's not like King of Dragon Pass, where taking the "right" option has a chance of backfiring, because fuck you, gamer. Kinder design, but it decreases the longevity of the game.

lightbane

Arcane
Victim of your own successes then. Still, can you tell us some fun stuff you saw as you played? For example: Have you found yet even more twisted ways for children to meet an horrible demise? Have you found strange yet cool in-game events?

Last edited:

Kayerts

Arcane
Victim of your own successes then. Still, can you tell us some fun stuff you saw as you played? For example: Have you found yet even more twisted ways for children to meet an horrible demise? Have you found strange yet cool in-game events?

Some of the child-murdering in the DLC is phoned in, e.g.:

lowEffortChildMurder.jpg

They stopped pretending that there was any greater reason for the Child Genocide. "Yo, a kid died. Idk why, lol."

But there's this genuinely horrifying sequence of kidnapping by rat hive mind:

20160623234756_1.jpg

20160623234819_1.jpg

20160623234917_1.jpg

20160623235011_1.jpg

There are more events where, while we do end up losing a kid, at least nothing important was damaged!

2016-01-13_00019.jpg

And then there's the one where we sacrifice a child to false gods and are showered with bonuses for it:

20160619211033_1.jpg

20160619211035_1.jpg

20160619211040_1.jpg

Black

Arcane
Good, it's time for Child Killers to return to video james.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom