Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In which fictional universe would you like a game set

Oracsbox

One of my own favourites would be Dorian Hawkmoon by Michael Moorcock part of the multiverse eternal champion setting.

The original WH40k complete with the God Emperor Huon of Granbretan kept alive in his fluid filled sphere and his warriors in various legions,mantis,pig,wolf etc..worship of chaos God's Jhone, Jhorg, Phowl, and Rhunga (named after the Beatles) ,ornithopters and tech priests all in the Tragic Millennium and I'm amazed Moorcock never sued Games workshop.

Kerie Campbell-Robson and Sandy Petersen did a pen and paper version years back if someone threw some money at him you could probably get him back on board.

I'm still amazed no one touched Elric Stormbringer obviously they steal everything from him for other games but to not use the iconic character himself is tragic.

Oracsbox

Dying Earth by Jack Vance is the other big one for me the books virtually read as rpg adventures.
The world is far more creative than the standard medieval fantasy fare although that's probably the reason no one has turned it into a computer game.
The magic system alone could be spectacular full of depth and creativity.

Oracsbox

For instance the 19th Hammer Horror Film Universe would be a fantastic rpg setting.

Frankenstein,Dracula,Mummy,Ghouls,Zombies,Quatermass Aliens popped in,Kaptain Kronos Sherlock Holmes,and full on Satanic worship in a legit setting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oracsbox

The Trigan Empire another interesting setting 12ft Romans with sci-fi weapons and spaceships.
The comic book The Trigan Empire 1978 is well worth a look if only for Don Lawrence's superb artwork.

Oracsbox

Don Lawrence
Trigan Empire
Empire-de-Trigan_4_defaultbody.jpg

lawrence-the-trigan-empire-the-lokan-invasion-page-92-3d4t.jpg

trigan%2Bempire2.jpg

26d6d04e0b1106086e59f66978cb725c.jpg

00062.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Is that orange shirt guy armless but still just has sleeves? Referring to the final shot.

Oracsbox

Don Lawrence also did stuff like this which may suit other codex tastes
Mildly Adult content
e204357376.jpg
I
640021f95aba7cdfb1585c95b4238d74--board-art.jpg

Xzar

Augur
Its not a setting that I want, but a role I'd like to roleplay. Im tired of cliche world savers. I'd like to play as Caligula or Nero, Al Capone, marquis de Sade, Peter Listerman, Shoko Asahara, etc.

Azarkon

Arcane
Every time I hear Warhammer 40,000 as a setting in a CRPG, I think: this could be awesome! Then I play the actual games and it's fucking terrible. Can anybody explain it? It's like the games can't get past "MAH SPACE MAR1NEZ R SO HARDCORE". Rinse and repeat every fucking game.

Settings I'd like to see:
  • Any horror setting EXCEPT vampires, zombies, or werewolves
  • Dark Sun, and post-apocalyptic fantasy settings in general THAT STAY FANTASY, instead of big reveal: it's science fiction
  • A super hero setting that tries to explore the actual implications of people with special powers, like Watchmen
There are a number of reasons I do not like science fiction settings in CRPGs, the biggest of which is that science fiction is really less about characters than it is about ideas and societies, and I feel that CRPGs as a genre need to be character focused since so much of the genre revolves around character building and progression.

Science fiction works much better as strategy games.

Last edited:

Oracsbox

Its not a setting that I want, but a role I'd like to roleplay. Im tired of cliche world savers. I'd like to play as Caligula or Nero, Al Capone, marquis de Sade, Peter Listerman, Shoko Asahara, etc.

Very few games let you play as a proper bastard even those with evil choices are to often contradicted by other dialogue or forced choices.Overlord was one of the few and thats more of an action game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom