Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In which fictional universe would you like a game set

Xzar

Augur
Its not a setting that I want, but a role I'd like to roleplay. Im tired of cliche world savers. I'd like to play as Caligula or Nero, Al Capone, marquis de Sade, Peter Listerman, Shoko Asahara, etc.

Very few games let you play as a proper bastard even those with evil choices are to often contradicted by other dialogue or forced choices.Overlord was one of the few and thats more of an action game.
Yeah, and thats very sad. Change of scenery might be nice, but its useless if you're only allowed to be Jesus Christ in every setting. I want entire scenario to be centered around being selfish, acting against local authorities - both spiritual and legal.

Oracsbox

The only epic story plausible is the one of the world savior. Everything else is trivial.

So, what we need is: high fantasy/tolkienesque settings + epic storytales (that suport a world savior theme).

I know you're only trolling but ...

Oracsbox

doraster_001.jpg

And once done with Dorastor, somewhere else in Genertela.

This would be great any Runequest would be great.

Oracsbox

The only epic story plausible is the one of the world savior. Everything else is trivial.

So, what we need is: high fantasy/tolkienesque settings + epic storytales (that suport a world savior theme).

I know you're only trolling but ...

I am not trolling.

I am saying the truth and what I want. But, I still want to generate the most butthurt possible.

Then you should enjoy every RPG because that's what you always get
Also

Oracsbox

I always had high hopes of a Terran Trade Authority set game.Something like Mass Effect maybe but without the shit bits or Knights of the Old Republic crossed with a little Elite.
93d4dd309a4b1c8bc9ec6206506eac79--science-fiction-art-retro-art.jpg

b1c676880b6ceada366d64298a0112fb.jpg

spacewreck.jpg

51E08qGsQLL.jpg

Oracsbox

Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham indeed several of his books would make good games.
Not only have you got a never-ending horde of plants after you (makes a change from zombies),it's got raiders and other scum but what makes it interesting is dealing with all the blind people do you treat them with respect and try and organize a humane society or go full slave labor/cannon fodder rape farm.
The fallout 4 engine would be perfect because the settlers in that walked around blind as fuck.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
The "Demon Princes" scifi world by Jack Vance, maybe just the 40 planets around Rigel - each with their own VERY distinct culture.

gestalt11

Arbiter
I guess I would pick a setting I don't really like, I'd rather not have any of the various western game developers rape my favorite books.

Beastro

Arcane
Legacy of Kain world would be a good place for one, a good few eras to choose from.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Proper Black company style game would be great. Battle brothers is good and all, but it doesn't really have a leg to stand on.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pierce Brown's Red Rising universe.

It would not be hard to convert the in-universe cast/color to an RPG class system. Also, the setting is interesting and rich in opportunities. It has genetically-enhanced knights ruling the solar system, space battles, power-armor suits and cyberpunk dystopia. Could host a variety of game types and stories.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
I want a spaghetti western Gothic-style game.

Like you're a drifter arriving in this backwater Wild West town for one reason or another, and there are these factions fighting for dominance, the local bandits, the fat Mexican general gathering money for the revolution, perhaps the well meaning but powerless law enforcement. You work for them, have the ability to double cross them, rise in ranks and power, and by the end you have accomplished whatever you wanted, while killing mostly everyone for fun and profit in the process.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Make a proper Conan game, it shouldn't be too difficult and way more feasible than all those dusty, bygone 70s high fantasy settings.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix universe would be a cool setting for cyberpunk/space opera RPG, even though it's not particularly original or inventive.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
Dying Earth by Jack Vance is the other big one for me the books virtually read as rpg adventures.
The world is far more creative than the standard medieval fantasy fare although that's probably the reason no one has turned it into a computer game.
The magic system alone could be spectacular full of depth and creativity.

This has to be someone's Top Priority.
Imagine an open world party-based blobber heavily relying on quests and side-quests, some character interaction (no drama/ dating though ) to unlock some good skills, hidden characters, legendary items hidden in forgotten places, heavy teleportation and transportation mechanism to ease the backtracking, low level graphic interface to reduce the loading curse.

Turn-based, of course, did i forget anything ?

Tchaï cycle would make a great game too as well as any Vance's book.

DraQ

Arcane

I am willing to punch anyone insisting that PS:T is not epic enough in the face hard enough for them to shit teeth.

Just FYI.

Fuck, historically most epics, including the 'epic' ones, had nothing to do with saving the world.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fuck, historically most epics, including the 'epic' ones, had nothing to do with saving the world.
Ah yes, back when epic meant long-ass-doorstopper, not a work of majestic scope.

DraQ

Arcane
Ah yes, back when epic meant long-ass-doorstopper, not a work of majestic scope.
Works of majestic scope (hence distinction between epic and 'epic' in my post) also rarely dealt with saving the world.
Everything being "blahblah save the WORLD!!!1 EPIC!!!111!!oneone" is a modern invention due to writers being fucking hacks who cannot into interesting stories, settings and characters.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Works of majestic scope (hence distinction between epic and 'epic' in my post) also rarely dealt with saving the world.
Everything being "blahblah save the WORLD!!!1 EPIC!!!111!!oneone" is a modern invention due to writers being fucking hacks who cannot into interesting stories, settings and characters.
Not only this, but the save the world schtick brings so many problems of it's own- like why people far stronger than you are doing diddly squat to help you.

As for the OP, just give me a fucking Shadowrun game that doesn't suck please. One where you actually have the freedom that would imply to take unlimited side jobs and recruit whoever you want and buy whatever you want. Boggles my mind the old sega game is still the one that did it best after all these years. Give me that with more mission and enemy variety instead of baby's first tactics game that is 90% mandatory plot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom