Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In which fictional universe would you like a game set

Beastro

Arcane
FLESH
flesh-badlanders-cover.jpg

Cowboys from the future who went back in time to farm dinosaurs.
tumblr_n2i6g7WUND1s2wio8o1_500.gif

flesh1a.jpg

tumblr_n2hnvubaG71s2wio8o1_500.gif

flesh15.jpg

tumblr_mjq8wqnM4Y1qin76mo1_400.gif

2000ad87.jpg

The brings to mind Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, which would make for a good open world vehicle-centric setting:

serveimage

Magic being technology is only part of it. Unreliable narration is Wolfe's favorite tool and the whole Solar Cycle is full of cloning, inbreeding, time travel, quantum magic and all sorts of hidden connections between characters, places and events. Severian himself dies multiple times.

I guess you could try making an unreliable narrator RPG but it would probably make Torment look like a child's play.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone remember the Visionaries cartoon from the 80s? That would be cool - you've got a magic/tech post-apocalyptic setting and knights that can turn into animals and mythical creatures. Implement the z-axis everyone has been jizzing over for years and a full RPG rules system for both the knights (some were scouts, others brawlers, etc) as well as a seperate rule system for the creatures they turn into. Then you've got vehicle use and their one-shot power which was horrific...my personal favourite was the evil knight Cindar (voiced by Minsc/Jim Cummings) who could summon a gigantic scimitar wielding beast that everyone just took one look at, pissed their armor, and ran for their lives. Although it could be countered by selective, other, 1-shot summons.

Edit: My memory may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure the guy that did most of those cartonns (Flint Dille) was also an avid D&D fan)

Fishy

Savant
The "Book of the New Sun" series by Gene Wolfe seems really interesting but I'm not sure it would translate to a game very well.

[bigass images]
The CRPG adaptation of The Book of the New Sun has a lot of fans amongst Codexers. :M

Picked this one up during some sale as it looked something special. Never read the books but looking them up they seem something quite special too, so I guess I'll do both. Any recommendation about in which order to proceed? My default order would be to go books->game, so as to appreciate the game as a rendition of a pre-existing mental image and to avoid any potential spoiler materials ruining some book plot points.

Oracsbox

Wizards
Robots,monsters and Elves,plenty of weird subversion of standard fantasy tropes could make a very interesting universe with a creative writer.
MV5BMjE4OTUyMTQxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTA0MzUyMQ@@._V1_.jpg

Blackwolf+and+wife.jpg

wizards6.jpg

wizards-1977-large-picture.jpg

wizards2.jpg

Wizards-1977-Epic-Fail-Review-8.png

wiz%2B10.jpg

wizards_01.jpg

001b1bf7.jpeg

tumblr_m6m7o84J5C1qaqaec.gif

Oracsbox

Sticking with Ralph Bakshi I wouldn't say no to a game based around Frazetta artwork fully rotoscoped too.

giphy.gif

fire-and-ice-3.jpg

fire-and-ice-backrounds.jpg

darkwolf_ice_rescue_1.gif

giphy.gif

Of course once modded it would look like this
vM32k4.gif

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom