Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline of online fps'es: Red Orchestra 2

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Realism bullshit was the worst thing added to shooters, it allows the mentally retarded and crippled be competitive. What happened to lightning reflexes, gibs, and rocket jumping.

DefJam101

Arcane
Archibald said:
DefJam101 said:
fizzelopeguss said:
What happened to lightning reflexes,
Huh? That's exactly what "realistic" shooters promote.

And what Quake promotes?
Map control, prediction, timing, movement, team coordination? Reflexes are great to have but they won't take you as far in Quake as, say, Counter Strike.

Or any other shooter where the bulk of the gameplay revolves around shooting people with hitscan weapons before they shoot you with hitscan weapons.

chzr

Scholar
:what:

btw it looks great, one of the few games that actually improves the genre.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS ARMA2 IS THE ONLY GAME YOU HAVE TO HAVE REALISTIC SHOOTERS MILITARTY SIMS WHERE YOU NEVER TAKE COVER BECAUSE IN REAL LIFE THERE IS NO POPAMOLE

BROS MY EYES ARE BLEEDING TAKE YOU NERWFAG SHIT BACK TO FAGLAND

Reject_666_6

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
Realism bullshit was the worst thing added to shooters, it allows the mentally retarded and crippled be competitive. What happened to lightning reflexes, gibs, and rocket jumping.

Consoles happened.

The Codex like to bitch about RPGs being consolised, dumbed down, etc, but the real victim of this travesty is the poor FPS genre.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Reject_666_6 said:
fizzelopeguss said:

Consoles happened.

The Codex like to bitch about RPGs being consolised, dumbed down, etc, but the real victim of this travesty is the poor FPS genre.

not even consoles, old shitty n64 ports of quake was better than most of the shit released today. Even in turok your dude moved at a decent clip and had crazy ass weaponry.

Fuckin' WWII, modern warfare faggotry is a scourge that needs to fucking die in a fire.

i guarantee you god damn future warfare will be next and these fucking slack jawed faggot devs will find a way of making laser guns dull.

Remember that gun at the end of starship troops that vapourised the top of the mountain? i want guns like that. And i want to be able to carry TEN of them, as well as fucking grenades WITH ALTERNATE FIRE. Shove your fucking two weapon limit, ironsight and underslung grenade launcher up yer fucken ass.

:x

Murk

Arcane
fizzelopeguss said:
Remember that gun at the end of starship troops that vapourised the top of the mountain? i want guns like that. And i want to be able to carry TEN of them, as well as fucking grenades WITH ALTERNATE FIRE. Shove your fucking two weapon limit, ironsight and underslung grenade launcher up yer fucken ass.

:x

So play UT2004? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu-AQYVnlH8

entertainer

Arbiter
This is how to make sequels. Codex isn't the best place to advertise good shooters though, most here play arcade cs crap or console shit.

Achilles

Arcane
I don't like twitch shooters, so Red Orchestra 2 seems right up my alley.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is probably the best multiplayer shooter up to date.

The game is semi-realistic, which means it tries to be both realistic and fast at the same time. A single bullet means death if it hits head, heart or lungs (in case of lungs it's not an immediate death though as you can still shoot while dying), but a bullet to less vital parts of a body will only cause a wound. A bullet shot into enemy's weapon will effectively disarm him. Granades are very deadly as they should be, which is important to mention, because in many games their effectiveness is downplayed. Wounded legs will slow you down, wounded arms will negatively affect your accuracy.

The game is very fast as there are "tickets" that let players respawn until they run out, hence there usually isn't too much turtling and the game heavily discourages such tactics anyway due to maps, use of artillery and so on. Many maps allow multiple tactics as they usually allow two (sometimes even more) points to attack for a team, hence the defenders need to spread out, and attackers can decide where to focus on pushing the enemy forces.

The game provides multiple classes to choose from, but the better and more important ones are limited, and interestingly not every player is equal - some get better weapons, some get worse, but also some are leaders, while others are cannon fodder. But it is fun regardless of what class you are playing (although you might have your favourite one). The game isn't about being the best in the team, it's about helping the team. It is very encouraged by the game's mechanics and affects the game in a very significant way, hence why the game doesn't play like another random multiplayer shooter #241221. It's unique in its own way. I definitely recommend it to everyone who enjoy multiplayer action games, regardless if they prefer realism or arcade, as this game is somewhere in-between (albeit inclines more towards realism than arcade). The only negative things I can say about this game is that albeit its realism, bullets do not penetrate objects (which is a serious flaw), and the fact that unlike previous games by Tripwire RO2 doesn't support anything besides Windows operating system.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yeah, I play Rising Storm too, although most players moved back to vanilla RO2. Vatniks vs Nazis is much more atmospheric and cool than Murricans vs Weaboos. Still, I'm looking forward for the next game to see what it brings.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I'm curious to see if they make the radios mobile for Vietnam, instead of static like they are in the other games. It'd be cool to have a "radioman" as a class that has to work together with the team leader. Of course, there's more potential for trolling but we see that already anyway.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
They released recently Heroes of the West, that bring kwans vs nazis fights, one map is in France iirc.

A bullet shot into enemy's weapon will effectively disarm him
never heard of it

Steve

Augur
I'm curious to see if they make the radios mobile for Vietnam, instead of static like they are in the other games. It'd be cool to have a "radioman" as a class that has to work together with the team leader. Of course, there's more potential for trolling but we see that already anyway.

Darkest hour mod for the original red orchestra had a radioman class, it was a pretty fun system. Nothing beats having your trusty radioman crawl to you while bullets whizz by so you can call mortars to take out a position.

A bullet shot into enemy's weapon will effectively disarm him
never heard of it

That was a thing in the original Red Orchestra, not in RO2.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Ok then. Tried to play RO1 some time ago but it's empty like bethstard's skull.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom