Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incredible pictures from an era of games we never got to experience

Discussion in 'jRPG Weeaboo Discussion' started by eric__s, Sep 30, 2012.

1. dnf Pedophile Dumbfuck Shitposter

dnf
    Thanks Helly

^ Top  
  2. eric__s ass hater Developer

eric__s
    Yeah, the palette limitations really lead to some incredible art.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That first picture is like 4 or 5 colors and that second one is only 1. Just incredible technical ability.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  3. eric__s ass hater Developer

eric__s
    This isn't Japanese or from a game, but it's an absolutely amazing example of what you can do with just 4 colors.

[​IMG]

I'd like to see more artists attempting stuff like this. What makes games so interesting to me is that they've developed an aesthetic that is completely unique to the medium - there was no pixel art or chip music before computer games. These artforms were developed out of necessity and because of the limitations of early hardware. We've expanded beyond the limitations and we're leaving these artforms behind for art that's not immediately distinguishable as video game art.

[​IMG]

Braid is a very nice looking game, but this could be anything. It could be a clip from a movie or a children's book or a flash ad or a television show or anything really, but the pictures in the first post are undeniably from video games. Entire subcultures like the demo scene and the chiptune scene were built around beating the limitations of computer hardware and the stuff they've made is arguably as good or better than the things being produced with modern technology. It's the limitations of the medium that bred the creativity and skill we see in these games.

I think games should continue to explore aesthetics and take them in new directions but to me, the best looking games will always be the ones from the 80s and 90s that pushed its hardware to the limits. A lot of people on this site seem to give indie games a lot of shit for LOOKING LIKE INDIE GAMES or whatever, but I think it's an aesthetic that should be celebrated and proliferated not because it's cool or trendy, but because until very recently, that is just what games looked like.

• Brofist Brofist x 12
    ^ Top  
  4. Kattze Andhaira

Andhaira
    Andhaira
    Can anyone tell me what game corresponds to which picture in the op and if there is an English translation (official or otherwise) of these games? This is such an awesome thread, if only Nip-hating codexians venture into this subforum.

I also wanted to see 1eyedking 's opinion on the op pics.

^ Top  
  5. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    I think it's not as much limitations leading to art, as limitations discouraging talentless/ill motivated hacks.
    You can make something look awesome in 8 or even 4 bit colour. But it'll take some effort.

New visuals age, good visuals don't.

P.S. I find it very amusing that current desaturating and colourizing filters sometimes produce stuff that looks strikingly similar to 8-bit colour images.

^ Top  
  6. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. damicore Scholar

damicore
    Those aren't just your average panties, those are godzilla's!

^ Top  
  8. fizzelopeguss Arcane

fizzelopeguss

[​IMG]

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. sorrowofwind Novice

sorrowofwind
    The white robot with blue streak is from power dolls. You can get the first game (translated) from abandonia

^ Top  
  10. 1eyedking Erudite

1eyedking
    Well...they aren't bad, but they're definitely nothing to write home about.

Japs are a p. dark people and as such display a great interest on anything dystopian, post-apocalyptic, hellish, medieval dark ages, Nazi, etc., but they've got no artistic talent whatsoever. I mean, lots of them have got great technical skills (amazing eye-hand coordination, good spatial intelligence, absolute pitch, abstract thinking capacity) but they don't have soul, nor truly creative imagination.

Think of slant-eyed, less ugly Jews.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Helly Translating for brofists Patron

Helly
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    For the most weeaboos of us, here is a link for some (all ? dunno) of the FM Towns games
    http://bitsnoop.com/fm-towns-q31291125.html
    66gig, fuck yeah. There is currently like 1,2 seeders so get it while it's still here :)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. damicore Scholar

damicore
    [​IMG]

:flamesaw:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. good little toastboy Scholar Patron

good little toastboy
    Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
    I think you're talking about North Koreans and the word is Seoul. (couldn't resist)

^ Top  
  14. groke Arcane

groke
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech
    PC88/98 was dithering king.

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  15. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane In My Safe Space

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    Awesome stuff. Makes me want to play Syndicate+.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    I can confirm this is from YU-N0 which has a Windows version as well and a fan translation a few years back.

^ Top  
  17. Nihilism Educated

Nihilism
    All these games make me wonder if Final Fantasy was as good as everyone thought it was. Looks like there were plenty of games like it before and after it came out.

^ Top  
  18. groke Arcane

groke
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech
    I don't imagine many PC users (Japanese included) have ever considered Final Fantasy to be as good as everyone thought it was. Particularly the first three Ultima/Wizardry mutants.

Incidentally, it also has a fantastic FM soundtrack.

^ Top  
  19. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    I played them recently, and found the first one to be an ok but not too special dungeon crawler (unlike Wizardry I which is fantastic), 2 to be annoying with its leveling system that makes the game either too hard or too easy, and 3 to be actually good.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. DwarvenFood Arcane Patron

DwarvenFood
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Don't forget the ASCII and ANSI scene, also amazing stuff that was done with limited resources:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. agentorange Arcane Patron

agentorange
    Codex 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This enemy is called a Bitch Hose.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You've died. Please insert the first disc and start an entirely new character because we just erased your save data.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. toro Arcane

toro
    Herve's gift to humanity.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  23. Johannes Arcane

Johannes
    Damn I played the shit out of that game.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. abnaxus Arcane Patron

abnaxus
    ^ Top  
  25. eric__s ass hater Developer

eric__s
    Did you actually play The Screamer? What did you think of it? It's really weird, but it's a game that has c.o.n.s.u.m.e.d. m.y. b.r.a.i.n. I've never played it, but I've watched a couple videos of it and researched it a bunch and it seems like the coolest and weirdest thing ever. It has an incredible aesthetic and great graphics - it's hard to believe it's from 1984. How did it play?

To be honest, I don't really even care how it played. "Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed" is one of the craziest things I've ever read. It's amazing that something that's the product of mistranslation can be so meaningful and powerful. There was a guy who was translating it a while back and I contacted him to make sure he didn't change the intro. I bet he never finished the translation though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

awesome

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)