Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incredible pictures from an era of games we never got to experience

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Can anyone tell me what game corresponds to which picture in the op and if there is an English translation (official or otherwise) of these games? This is such an awesome thread, if only Nip-hating codexians venture into this subforum.

I also wanted to see 1eyedking 's opinion on the op pics.

DraQ

Arcane
I think it's not as much limitations leading to art, as limitations discouraging talentless/ill motivated hacks.
You can make something look awesome in 8 or even 4 bit colour. But it'll take some effort.

New visuals age, good visuals don't.

P.S. I find it very amusing that current desaturating and colourizing filters sometimes produce stuff that looks strikingly similar to 8-bit colour images.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
This isn't Japanese or from a game, but it's an absolutely amazing example of what you can do with just 4 colors.

qWIOR.gif

batman-thumbs-up.gif

sorrowofwind

Novice
The white robot with blue streak is from power dolls. You can get the first game (translated) from abandonia

1eyedking

Erudite
Can anyone tell me what game corresponds to which picture in the op and if there is an English translation (official or otherwise) of these games? This is such an awesome thread, if only Nip-hating codexians venture into this subforum.

Well...they aren't bad, but they're definitely nothing to write home about.

Japs are a p. dark people and as such display a great interest on anything dystopian, post-apocalyptic, hellish, medieval dark ages, Nazi, etc., but they've got no artistic talent whatsoever. I mean, lots of them have got great technical skills (amazing eye-hand coordination, good spatial intelligence, absolute pitch, abstract thinking capacity) but they don't have soul, nor truly creative imagination.

Think of slant-eyed, less ugly Jews.

damicore

Augur

Well...they aren't bad, but they're definitely nothing to write home about.

Japs are a p. dark people and as such display a great interest on anything dystopian, post-apocalyptic, hellish, medieval dark ages, Nazi, etc., but they've got no artistic talent whatsoever. I mean, lots of them have got great technical skills (amazing eye-hand coordination, good spatial intelligence, absolute pitch, abstract thinking capacity) but they don't have soul, nor truly creative imagination.

Think of slant-eyed, less ugly Jews.

People_King_Foltest.png

:flamesaw:

Nihilism

Educated
All these games make me wonder if Final Fantasy was as good as everyone thought it was. Looks like there were plenty of games like it before and after it came out.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
All these games make me wonder if Final Fantasy was as good as everyone thought it was. Looks like there were plenty of games like it before and after it came out.

I don't imagine many PC users (Japanese included) have ever considered Final Fantasy to be as good as everyone thought it was. Particularly the first three Ultima/Wizardry mutants.

I can confirm this is from YU-N0 which has a Windows version as well and a fan translation a few years back.

Incidentally, it also has a fantastic FM soundtrack.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin

I played them recently, and found the first one to be an ok but not too special dungeon crawler (unlike Wizardry I which is fantastic), 2 to be annoying with its leveling system that makes the game either too hard or too easy, and 3 to be actually good.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
screamer stuff
Did you actually play The Screamer? What did you think of it? It's really weird, but it's a game that has c.o.n.s.u.m.e.d. m.y. b.r.a.i.n. I've never played it, but I've watched a couple videos of it and researched it a bunch and it seems like the coolest and weirdest thing ever. It has an incredible aesthetic and great graphics - it's hard to believe it's from 1984. How did it play?

To be honest, I don't really even care how it played. "Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed" is one of the craziest things I've ever read. It's amazing that something that's the product of mistranslation can be so meaningful and powerful. There was a guy who was translating it a while back and I contacted him to make sure he didn't change the intro. I bet he never finished the translation though.

tXuLQ.jpg

nZfXK.jpg

awesome

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Yeah, I've played a bit of it. The combat wasn't what I expected, and at the moment it's kind of impossible because I can't seem to get the CPU speed right; combat is real time and you have to jump and duck over enemy projectiles which is impossible with the wrong speed. The main draw is definitely the art direction and all the story bits, and there are some interesting mechanics like not earning money directly but taking "kill information" back to this bounty hunter dude who then gives you XP and money. I know which translation you're talking about, on the tokugawa forums, I was actually worried he would fix the great poor english too. I could probably translate it if I could even began to comprehend how to hack the dialogue files out of the game.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow, great thread. I read an article about futuristic jap games recently, and my thought was: fuck, back then, art was art.

Here's a few sshots I liked.

18k6we4xtt68ipng.png

18k6kcvqk7yh5gif.gif

18k6kkjyy4k2ljpg.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom