Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Space Sims - post 'em if you find 'em

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Limit Theory looks dead. Is the Pioneer game anywhere near a playable game worth 4/5 stars already? I mean, can you play, make progress and get some kind of a satisfying experience out of it?

DraQ

Arcane
For starters, Pioneer could use extra coders, so if anyone can into C++/Lua they can contribute.
There is still a lot to be done, especially when it comes to things like system generation, missions, damage model, weapons and AI.

Mortmal

Arcane
http://shoresofhazeron.com/
90's graphics, buggy , very buggy,full of exploits, slow, lagging and now with a 10$ by month subscription fee. However theres no games allowing everything hazeron allows, starting from scratch fighting procedurrally generated wildlfe, then building cities driving vehicules ,colonizing your planet digging ressources, researching techs , launching your first rocket to the moon(s) , building huge ships (you can fully customize) loaded with troopers you can fully customize , and then warp to explore other systems stomping innocent new players if you can find them in the vast universe.

I spent hundreds of hours on this when it was free, so 10$ a month is probably not worth it anymore for me, especially as your civilization decay with player inactivity. Extremely flawed game,made by one guy who is more interested in adding new stages to the house than fixing the foundations, but yet of a larger epic scope than anything i could see anywhere.

Worth a shot still if you never tried it but avoid most of the player base, its a mmo but you will rarely meet anyone fortunatly. Most of them are sociopathic and very unfriendly , like kids loving to remove wings from a flee; So dont reveal your homeworld coordinates to anyone on the chat.

Perkel

Arcane
Limit Theory is back.

The dev posted about his unexplained and complete silence for three months: mental health issues.

http://forums.ltheory.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4492

That is quite an understatement.

From what he wrote dude has something like bipolar disorder and snaped due to workload, after 2-3 months of doing nothing he gone to family which sent him to shrink.

Imo i think he realized that he is nowhere near or he is unable to finish game alone or even unable to design it properly to be playable. He is one dude and he is doing work which is usually done by whole teams.

Anyways, looks like LT is back on track but just with slower updates.

DraQ

Arcane
Last edited:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
RS looks interesting
Rogue System’s Core Module (CM) will be a complete campaign-driven sim on its own. It utilizes both dynamic as well as scripted missions to allow for greater replay-ability while telling an intriguing story.
Thank God ist's not just some trading game/space hiking-sim.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Endless Sky - Freeware. Also just released on Steam.

Being open-source, it's quite bare at the moment. But that's due to change soon with the modding community.

Rock Paper Shotgun
are saying it's a fitting successor to EV: Nova :D

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/11/02/endless-sky-release-free/

Although not made by members of the original team, Endless Sky [official site] is the closest thing to an Escape Velocity game since the release of Nova in 2002. For those who don’t know Ambrosia’s series, the Escape Velocity games are singleplayer space-based roleplaying fare, sort of like top-down Elite, with all the trading, combat and freedom your pioneering heart craves. They’re excellent and Endless Sky, now available on Steam for Windows, Mac, and Linux, appears to live up to the legacy. It’s free, open source and there are 50+ ships to own and modify as you work your way across the galaxy.

The game was already available to download when I last wrote about it but the Steam release coincides with the addition of the first of three planned storylines, made up of a cluster of missions. There are also plans for Steam Workshop support, so that all of the possible mods can be shared with ease (Star Trek and Wars conversions are surely being mapped out already).

Other plans involve changes to the UI and graphics, as well as the incorporation of additional alien technologies and creation of fully populated space sectors. In the brief time I’ve spent with the game, the most impressive aspect has been the reactive nature of AI ships. There’s a proper sense of existing within a galaxy where business, war and piracy are actually happening, dynamically, rather than being dropped into a sandbox where the only castles are the ones you build yourself.

I think Space Rangers 2 has finally been replaced, having dwelled in one of the innermost chambers of my heart for several years now. Grab the game and the editor and build a new galaxy. It’s a special game, Endless Sky, and hopefully it’s open-source future is as bright as this beginning. And, yes, it’s a ‘beginning’ that comes after years of hard work.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

Volition plays freespace 2, freespace 3 confirmed !

I completed Freespace 1 with a gamepad and keyboard, but whoever is sitting on the couch is seems like he's having a lot of trouble.

Not sure how interested I am in another Freespace, as my reflexes are shit nowadays.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
"This week on the Space Game Junkie Podcast, we welcome back the folks at MinMax games to talk about their new installment in the SPAZ series, Space Pirates and Zombies 2!" (Gameplay footage as well)

Last edited:

circ

Arcane
I played through 3030 Deathwar Redux. Someone said it's like a 2D Privateer. LOL NO. It's early access on Scheme now, 13 bucks. Eeh, shoulda gone with 5 bucks. Stable, didn't see any crashes.

It's closer to EV Nova, except EVN has a far superior story, actually 3 of them I think. Better upgrades (or better shipsystems or whatever it had), better ships, just about everything that I can recall.

Just about every mission you get is the same fedex one, but you can also explore derelict ships which is eeh, pretty much the same ship over and over but it's kinda cool. Controls are mindnumbingly bad - even uses arrow keys, why? You really need three hands to control it properly. Every bar is the same pointless one, and if that's not enough, bar patrons that just stand in one place seem to have randomly generated names - except no one bothered to check what sex the sprites were, so you'll see a lot of trannies. Your protagonist also looks and talks like the grandmaster of fedoralords. Little point to keep playing after you finish the fairly short, unfunny (feels like a german wrote it) and bad story, with a retarded final battle. It's got trading, but it's completely broken in that you have no way of knowing what another system pays for an item, so profits are down to chance. Piracy is also pretty weak, and combat with the awful controls turns into kiting battles. Some people seem to like the music, eeh, sounded like bad german techno disco. The instrumentals work fine though.

Still, it's got some kind of charm to it, unlike NMS. I'd really like to see what Underrail guy could do with the genre. Could use some RPG.

edit: I did play some more, trying to clear the most wanted leaderboard and noticed that it does have crashes. Some kind of Exception access violation, that it's had for months according to steam board. Triggers in combat for me anyway.

edit due: someone suggested that error is due to registry errors from left-over junk items. So I cleaned it and killed off 3 wanted pirates quick - all went fine. Still, that's pretty naff coding as most games don't care.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom