Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indivisible - platformer/RPG from Skullgirls dev

Lucky

Arcane
That's why I'm thinking they're rushing these out ahead of schedule to get more funds. They're not giving their artists the time they need to deliver quality outside their comfort zone, not to mention that they also seem to want a diverse range of enemy types who also need to be designed. At this point they've already shown more Incarnations than Skullgirls had playable characters and there's still more on the way, so they're probably not being as through as they should be when it comes to judging the quality of their designs - Nuna doesn't look finished or appropriate as a design for a combat character, for example.

Stompa

Arcane
They have shown most of the revealed Incarnations in the pitch video (if not all, can't confirm it right now), so obviously they've had them designed way before those reveals. Some were even drawn in exactly same poses as in the reveal pictures (Toko, George, Phoebe, Kushi, Kafri). They don't have any excuse for overall shoddy job they've done so far with potential party members.

Lucky

Arcane
Really? I never watched it, but now that I have I can see that most of them are there, but not finalised. To me that suggests that development is still ongoing regarding their design and I'm willing to wait and see if they can make it work. It gives the impression though that they're rushing production for some reason, so it could be that they're dangerously close to running out of funds. The drop in quality seems unnecessary, otherwise.
Also, while I did spot six that haven't been shown yet, Lanshi, Nuna and Zahra weren't in the video, so there might be even more Incarnations. That puts the minimum amount of Incarnations at 26, so it could also simply be that they're overreaching regarding the amount of artwork that they're producing.

Last edited:

Latro

Arcane
Even designs without cheesecake in Skullgirls were head and shoulders above any of the Indivisible ones. See: Beowulf, Big Band, Peacock.
I don't even remotely like Skullgirls but it's stunning to me how the same people behind the SG cast design can make characters so incredibly forgettable.

They get offended when the main character is pallet-swapped to a blonde white woman but it's because it shows how the design is so bland and uninspired it literally makes no difference if she's green or blue skinned.

Archibald

Arcane
Yea, character designs are one of the reasons why my interest in this campaign fizzled.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
They really shouldn't have focused on these character reveals, the gameplay itself speaks leaps and bounds above all the characters they (most likely) rushed for this campaign. The monsters themselves look like there was more thought put into them than some of the main characters.

Looks like their request for another 20 days was accepted. I'm guessing this is good PR for Indiegogo as well.

Latro

Arcane
They really shouldn't have focused on these character reveals, the gameplay itself speaks leaps and bounds above all the characters they (most likely) rushed for this campaign. The monsters themselves look like there was more thought put into them than some of the main characters.

Looks like their request for another 20 days was accepted. I'm guessing this is good PR for Indiegogo as well.
Nah, all the designs were shown on the pitch video. It's more like they're trying to appeal to the "whimsical, diverse, inclusive fantasy designs" but they're only really kinda good at kinky anime girls, so everything kinda stinks. 'Cept for the sexy women of course, the only characters even getting fanart or attention. Which defeats their own damned point about sex in videogames.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I mean in the pre-production for this campaign, including the video. It's possible to rush beforehand, you know. And again, could care less about the designs. Gameplay was fucking sublime, and I want more dammit.

Lucky

Arcane
Campaign extended. Apparently you can request an extension if you reach at least 60% of your funding goal, which explains why they were so hyped about the increase in pledges.

I don't even remotely like Skullgirls but it's stunning to me how the same people behind the SG cast design can make characters so incredibly forgettable.

They get offended when the main character is pallet-swapped to a blonde white woman but it's because it shows how the design is so bland and uninspired it literally makes no difference if she's green or blue skinned.

The ease of pallet-swaps is a consequence of them porting fighting game character-design philosophy, where being able to change between colour sets is a standard game mechanic, into an RPG. Usually you then work towards giving each character something that makes them immediately recognisable and interesting from the perspective of the player. Something distinctive, because the player will be quickly cycling through the character selection and instant visual appeal is what'll make or break the character's popularity. As a fighting game developer they should know this, yet most of their current designs lacks this element, so something must be pushing them to skip out on the quality control. Probably money issues. That's the real problem and one they can fix if they just take their time to review their designs and retain the freedom to change or scrap the characters that don't work.

Latro

Arcane
I was more speaking to the fact that the MC has no recognizable features of her apparent race. She has the full, firm figure of an empowered white wymyn. It's apparent to me they claim they are defying expectations by having a brown woman as a MC, but in reality you drop whatever colors on her and it'd stick.

Let me put it this way, the white skin/blonde hair/blue eyes pallet swap looks much more fitting with the character. The way she looks now is like an EX color you get in a fighting game. It simply looks off.

lms04

Literate
I was more speaking to the fact that the MC has no recognizable features of her apparent race. She has the full, firm figure of an empowered white wymyn. It's apparent to me they claim they are defying expectations by having a brown woman as a MC, but in reality you drop whatever colors on her and it'd stick.

Let me put it this way, the white skin/blonde hair/blue eyes pallet swap looks much more fitting with the character. The way she looks now is like an EX color you get in a fighting game. It simply looks off.

I wont criticize the art department simply because its a subject that can change in development. The artist can become more skilled, realize his mistakes, fix them. But I do see your point, its a depiction of a "idealized" western woman with a brown skin/eyes plastered over it. No recognizable traces of southeast asians.

I'm happy the chances of successful funding went up with a 20 day extension. I don't know if it will be a good game but I'll take any Valkyria Profile inspired game I can.

Lucky

Arcane
They've passed 1 million and are now at 1 million + ~27.000 with 17 days to go. Two more Incarnations and guest characters revealed.

~ Tatanka ~
vc2p7nqecdfida8kbviv.png

A shaman renowned for his passionate drumming which brought forth departed spirits, Tatanka's life was forever changed by a simple errand boy. Mistaking his nameplate for that of the Great Warlock Tanaka who lived next door, the hasty courier delivered the wrong package of mystical ingredients - with disastrous results.

Attempting to summon the spirit of his next client's dead wife, Tatanka instead called forth an ancient spirit of mysterious origin. Though the two have since forged an uneasy alliance, neither is happy with the current state of affairs. Unable to rid himself of the irritating specter alone, Tatanka travels the world seeking an exorcist skilled enough to sever the bond.

~ Qadira ~

gl9dour43d1xrtfgsgb4.png

Secretly trained by her brother in the ways of combat, young Qadira became quite a formidable fighter. When she was finally of age, she joined her brother at the battlefront against the encroaching Iron Kingdom...only to learn that it was not a woman's place to fight, but instead to tend the wounded and distribute supplies. Crestfallen but undeterred, Qadira worked earnestly as a nurse, remaining ever near her brother.

Then the unthinkable happened - she received word that during an assault her brother had been captured. Without hesitation she donned his spare armor and signature green sash, and rushed into combat.

That day, in a dazzling display of skill, a mysterious warrior single-handedly turned the tide of battle. But with no sign of her brother, and now wary of revealing her true identity, Qadira's quest is only just beginning.

Guest characters:

Calibretto from Battle Chasers!
mq638aqg5unaewcs6ymf.png

Lea from Curses 'N Chaos!
i52xt72ezmdk6c5cgfv6.png

And a bit of info on how they layer their animations
Lastly, we wanted to show you a quick comparison between Indivisible's art style and that of Skullgirls. We're maintaining the same level of quality with each frame of animation, though of course there are stylistic changes, but one major difference is the new colored lines layer - or "dye" layer, as we've been calling it - for each frame. You can see it all the way to the right in this image:

ygwr9jrantmwp5z3nwrm.png

Now take a look at this comparison image:
y5nznxhvi3jpawbqrxfb.png

On the right is what Ajna would look like without this extra "dye" layer. This technique adds a certain softness to the character, and fortunately doesn't add too much time to production.
Interestingly, Mane6 - the other dev team using the Z-Engine - began employing this technique in their recently-crowdfunded game Them's Fightin' Herds completely independently of us, and posted a cool article about the process. Great minds do indeed think alike!

Plus some thank-you artwork
mxqxem5hwqpmcupv48z3.png

Stompa

Arcane
Considering how it keeps on truckin' at high speed, sure. I just hope they'd post the rest of Incarnations in the single update already.

Lucky

Arcane
Funded and with ~69 hours to go. Amount pledged currently at ~1.530.000, with almost 25.000 backers. The number of backers has been going up rather explosively, with over 2.000 new pledges having been made since yesterday.

Stretch goals:
$1,650,000 - Another HOUR of Music by Hiroki Kikuta
Indivisible is currently budgeted to have between 60 and 90 minutes of music from Kikuta-san, and we’d like to expand that by at least another hour. That's DOUBLE the amount of music!

$1,900,000 - Animated opening by Titmouse and "Mystery Anime Studio"
We’ll partner with Titmouse and a mystery anime studio to create a high-octane opening animation! Titmouse will storyboard everything, and it'll be executed by the anime studio!

New incarnations, though they're behind on the total amount because of how fast the funding has been going.

~ Leilani ~
ejcfpjeey6wpa4cxfzgz.png

Boisterous and resourceful, Leilani is the polar opposite of her shy and reserved twin sister. Inseparable since birth, the two young priestesses spent each day together, with Leilani assuming the role of protector in times of danger.

When her sister was chosen by their starving village as a sacrifice to the shark god, Leilani did not hesitate. As her sister tearfully protested, she stood, arms skyward, bravely awaiting the jaws of death.

In recognition for her courage, rather than devour her, the shark god instead adopted her. Returned to the material world with a weapon fashioned from his discarded teeth, Leilani is charged with protecting those in need... but barred from ever seeing her sister again, lest the secret be revealed.

~ Hassam ~
szzqtfsc9gafuix1kdvq.png

Once an eccentric professor at the Tower of Wisdom, Hassam is now an eccentric adventurer and inventor.

He has found a way to convert the surrounding energy of the world and nature, known as Prana, into the internal psychic energy, Iddhi, by way of a bizarre and rather clunky machine. Eager to study the effects of direct application of Iddhi, Hassam straps his invention to his back while traveling.

An ardent collector of artifacts and a constant learner, Hassam views the ever-expanding Iron Kingdom and its intellectual oppression as the world's greatest threat. Having recently learned of the fall of the Tower of Wisdom, he fears for the fate of his home lands, but has decided to continue his research for now.

He's heard talk of an especially interesting specimen - a small girl with a peculiar power...

~ Kampan ~
yqyhse0thxoucjhrwcay.png

A cheeky thief with a flare for theatrics, Kampan is a burglar like no other. Her agility and bravado, along with the sheer destructive force of her arm, have earned her the nickname "Iron Mouse" among Tai-Krung City authorities.

Originally a pickpocket trying to support her starving family, Kampan was arrested and pressed into service as a laborer at an Iron Kingdom ore processing facility. As an expendable prisoner, she was chosen to participate in a demonstration of the prototype new mining equipment under development there. However, the disastrous outcome of several test runs brought an abrupt end to the project, and the "unstable" arm was never completed.

Upon liberating herself - and the prototype - from the facility, Kampan took a keen interest in its inner workings. Using bits and pieces scavenged during her larcenous adventures, she's built the once-abandoned arm into a powerful tool and continues to improve upon it.

~ Kogi ~

jnnyapp5jbhuhadcwsqs.png

His entire life, Kogi has been entranced by the artistry of cooking: succulent meats, fine stews, the exquisite balancing of subtle spices. Ever since childhood, becoming a master chef was the subject of his every daydream - the perfect savory marinade for the sliced beef of his existence.

But it seemed cooking was not to be Kogi's fate. Born into a proud warrior family, duty required he be brought up a fighter. Yet even as he tirelessly trained, mastering the fierce strikes and developing the unyielding stamina required to triumph in battle, he quietly dreamt of applying those same skills in the kitchen.

Finally, his training completed and unable to lie to himself any longer, Kogi chose to follow his heart. With only his homemade cleaver, indestructible wok, and a garlic necklace to ward off spirits, he abandoned his family to pursue his true calling. Now a vagabond chef who applies the intense techniques of battle to cooking - with mixed results - Kogi continues his Flavor Quest: a globe-spanning journey to seek out and challenge the finest chefs and discover new tastes.

~ Sangmu ~

gyjxy19cn7o9ygq6ygey.png

Even as a child, abandoned on the monastery's doorstep, Sangmu had been...unusual. She did not often cry, seeming only to desire long stretches of contemplative solitude, and resented any disturbance, even meals. As she grew she did not play or socialize, and talked so seldom that for months the monks worried she could not speak at all. But young Sangmu knew differently - mere words were not the language of her heart.

In the summer of the year she turned ten, Sangmu first witnessed the meticulous creation of a sand mandala. From the moment she saw the intricate design taking shape, the change in her demeanor was striking. Aloofness transformed into rapt attention, her focus so intense that the monks were forced to remind her repeatedly to eat and sleep. In those days and weeks, in that place, her life changed.

Since that time, Sangmu relentlessly devoted every waking hour to perfecting the painstaking creation, and the equally beautiful destruction, of mandala and other sand sculptures. Her naturally gifted use of Iddhi and unique, unrestrained outlook quickly made her a virtuoso without peer, able to literally breathe life into her creations. Through her sand-painting tool, the chak-pur, the ephemeral artistry of the cosmos spoke to her: in the sand, Sangmu has found her language!

Guest characters:

Annie from Skullgirls
e0y20zxqd1vi3ow7cppm.png

Plus an art comparison between the Skullgirls and Indivisible versions:
ucz3szpzavhqqc5uzpe4.png

Shantae
cid6stpjddhy5tjq94ks.png

Red from Transistor
xaoobsmeizcdso5a8uld.png

Some promotional art
pzflsistjids5oaw2ryz.jpg

Latro

Arcane
Funded! And they only had to advertise on Neogaf, have an army of forum shills in and around the internet, bring in literally every single indie game character barring Undertale, and called in several favors to polygon/kotaku/etc to get it funded. Truly, this is a new day for gaming now that we can finally have an incloosive game for us all that doesn't need marketing!

Lucky

Arcane
First stretch goal reached and they've put up two more. Bit weird, since there's almost no way they're reaching them. Voice acting also seems like a waste of money for a game that is already going to have a tight budget, so they're probably better off not reaching that goal.

$2,050,000 - Full VO For All Major Characters
Indivisible is currently budgeted to only have voices in battle and some critical story scenes. With this additional money, we’ll expand the voice acting to cover all interactions with major characters.

Voice acting will be directed by the incomparable Cristina Vee. This time around we'd like to hire union voice actors so we can access a range of talent that better fits the characters in Indivisible!

$2,300,000 - Multiple Endings + Hardcore Bonus Dungeon

After the game is released, we’ll update it with multiple endings and a hardcore “post-game” bonus dungeon, with new monsters and more!
The multiple endings will likely be limited to New Game+, and may change depending on when in the game you defeat the final boss or who is in your party when you beat them!
The Hardcore Bonus Dungeon will be found inside Ajna's Inner Realm, and will literally be filled with her inner demons. Because they're hers, though, she can't harm them and she'll need a party of four Incarnations to advance!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom