Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Industries of Titan - sci-fi city building sim/strategy set on Titan

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://braceyourselfgames.com/industries-of-titan/

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/industries-of-titan/home

Being developed by Brace Yourself Games, developer of Crypt of the NecroDancer.

ss_3cad89fa420f082897cf74a95cab8a34e53a80de.600x338.jpg

ss_f7a53901a7a60f7367b55625128b914037caf440.600x338.jpg

ss_7cf5e37c5caea32eba8e713642155fd0e75da816.600x338.jpg

Industries of Titan is an industrial city building sim/strategy game, set on Saturn's moon Titan. Create a sprawling industrial city, design powerful factories, and compete with other Great Houses to stake your claim to the Industries of Titan!

Key features:
  • Design your city and grow it from just a few small buildings into a massive metropolis!
  • Set up production lines inside your factories to turn raw resources into ever more powerful devices and buildings
  • Balance the needs of your workers, your factories, and your buildings to produce a powerful, efficient economy
  • Design the interiors of your battleships by strategically placing weapons, shields, thrusters, and more, to reduce weak points and maximize fighting capability
  • Overcome your enemies via tactical battleship combat, technological superiority, political influence, or the sheer productive power of your factories
  • Gameplay is "real-time with pause" -- play at your preferred pace!
  • Created by the team that brought you Crypt of the NecroDancer, with art by Sir Carma and Nick Gunn, music by Danny Baranowsky, and audio by Power Up Audio.

Offwolrd Trading Company but with long term strategy and actual combat?

Last edited by a moderator:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I like how those buildings are voxel based but pleasant to look at unlike, say, 8 Bit RTS series from Petroglyph:

ss_3bec74c59390ebd56b3fda1f9ecb85b70f3b05d7.600x338.jpg

vs.

Endemic

Arcane
Doesn't seem to take advantage of the setting much. Shouldn't you have to start underground first or in fully enclosed domes?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I just don't want to have cookie cutter sims like Tropico 3+ and City Skylines, where it is near impossible to go bankrupt or lose. Even disasters cannot ruin your financial stability, should you figure some perfect solution for every mission. Players are not involved there, you should not monitor prices, secure contracts, think about investments, you just build essential buildings and wait until your finances go nuts.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.pcgamer.com/big-guns-and-interior-design-are-equally-important-in-industries-of-titan/

Big guns and interior design are equally important in Industries of Titan
The Crypt of the Necrodancer devs are back with a game that marries FTL-like space combat with a dreary, satisfying city-builder.

Thank goodness for FTL. It’s the most immediate and apparent influence on Brace Yourself Games’ next project, Industries of Titan, a massive change in theme and scope since Crypt of the Necrodancer. The build I played at PAX West focused on Titan’s ship-to-ship combat, but instead of parading around the galaxy, you’re parading around a future dystopia where late-late capitalism allows for all out warfare between corporations, so long as they’re willing to pay the government the appropriate war bonds.

And besides having the biggest guns, it’s money and efficiency that drive the conflict in Industries of Titan. The flow of combat is almost identical to FTL. Cross sections of two ships appear on screen while little crew members man weapons and cockpits and the like, scrambling to fix the inevitable pileup of disasters. You can pause the action at any time to survey the damage, incoming or outgoing, delegating tasks to individual crew members and targets to weapons.

But how you deck out your ship is more likely to determine the outcome of a fight than purely your clever tactics. Industries of Titan differs from FTL in that each ship’s interior is completely customizable. Using a grid-based system, you’ll purchase and plant every component long before battle, from the cockpit and medbay to lasers and fuel reserves. Components can’t just go anywhere though. Your crew will need to be able to access every station and component in case they need repairs, and piling up a power generator right next to reserve batteries and fuel might not be the best idea. Weapon-targeting also works on the grid-based system, so if you’re using a large laser that hits four grids in a row, you can conceivably target several contiguous stations (or people) at once. Smart placement is sparse placement, unless you’re rich.

I found out the hard way during my first fight. I placed my fuel and batteries and power generator right next to each other, a big dumb target for my opponent to haphazardly toss lasers at for the next 10 minutes. I only managed to pull through by using my small lasers to simultaneously target their lasers and the crew members firing them. By staunching the flow of hot fire coming my way and the personnel throwing it, I managed to fix my power generator before my own guns went without power and left me a sitting duck.

I built a new ship for my next battle, spacing out my sources of power and fuel by a few squares so that my opponent could only target one or two components at once. Granted, all that empty space could’ve been filled with more power and more fuel and more guns and more people—a valid strategy—but going in big like that requires a hefty sum of cash. And for your corp to have cash in the first place means taking part in capitalism’s greatest pastime: manufacturing.

Industries of Titan isn’t just a ship combat game. You can avoid ship combat altogether, I’m told, but none of the city-building is available in the build I played. To spread your influence and increase capital, you’ll need to build interconnected factories and supporting structures.

Details are scant, but just like ships, you’ll be able to visit the interior of every building and customize them to increase productivity. Imagine a small game of Infinifactory within every structure where you’ll manage a production process by moving around conveyor belts and presses and people in order to squeeze every penny out of every microsecond. It’s a nightmare scenario, but sounds like a grimly satisfying one from up top.

Industries of Titan’s ship combat may be familiar, but it’s as strategic as FTL, and the grid-based customization system points to a much deeper experience than a quick demo can communicate. How terrifying that I want to exploit the denizens of a cyberpunk dystopia for profit, and that my motive isn’t necessarily the money but the simple satisfaction of arranging guns and fuel and production lines like space furniture. We’ve yet to see or experience the bigger picture Industries of Titan is going for, but what I’ve played so far is gorgeous, relatively easy to grasp, and terribly evil and exploitative fun.

Releasing sometime in 2019, Industries of Titan is something of a dark mirror reflecting our industrial civilization. I just hope it explores where all that money and control and exploitation eventually leads.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Still looking great. But what they showed in gameplay was over so quickly it is hard to say anything about it.
It was obviously made for trailer purposes. I doubt you'll be designing ship interiors in the game, just to have ships blown to pieces in a second.
That would be like decorating tank interiors in C&C.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
About Epic exclusive deal: https://steamcommunity.com/app/427940/discussions/0/1846946102843963366/?ctp=2#c1846946102845591643

I'm sorry that this recent news has upset some of you. As we were developing Titan, we soon started to realize that the game's potential for content was growing rapidly, but we are still a 5 person development team. We have 2 programmers, 2 artists, and a designer. To make it harder, Titan is also a 3D 4x game. We soon realized that we would need to increase our team size to make Titan the best game it could be.

With the guaranteed revenue from Epic, we are planning to hire more people and it will deliver a better game in the end.

If there are concerns about the security of the Epic store and various features that are missing, I understand. That is why it was important for us to 1.0 on both platforms.

If you still do not want to play the game when it comes on Steam, then I'm sorry to have upset you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom