Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Industries of Titan - sci-fi city building sim/strategy set on Titan

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
About Epic exclusive deal: https://steamcommunity.com/app/427940/discussions/0/1846946102843963366/?ctp=2#c1846946102845591643

I'm sorry that this recent news has upset some of you. As we were developing Titan, we soon started to realize that the game's potential for content was growing rapidly, but we are still a 5 person development team. We have 2 programmers, 2 artists, and a designer. To make it harder, Titan is also a 3D 4x game. We soon realized that we would need to increase our team size to make Titan the best game it could be.

With the guaranteed revenue from Epic, we are planning to hire more people and it will deliver a better game in the end.

If there are concerns about the security of the Epic store and various features that are missing, I understand. That is why it was important for us to 1.0 on both platforms.

If you still do not want to play the game when it comes on Steam, then I'm sorry to have upset you.
I don't quite understand "to 1.0 on both platforms".
So does that mean they'll have Early Access only on EGS, but once finished the game will release everywhere?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I am ok with buying from toher stores but Epic have no regional pricing so I will use alternative regional pricing.

Don't worry, the EU commision wants to end different prices within the EU.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-19-2010_en.htm
That isn't about regional prices (which the EU has nothing against, or we'd all be paying the same prices in the supermarket), but about region locking.

This clears it up rather well in the update:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/eu-slams-valve-game-publishers-geo-blocking,39001.html

It's not really about pricing at all, just about the few games that are region locked within the EU.
So, don't worry, the good old VPN->cheaper prices should still work - at least as long as Valve continues to turn a blind eye.

Codex Year of the Donut
I am ok with buying from toher stores but Epic have no regional pricing so I will use alternative regional pricing.

That isn't about regional prices (which the EU has nothing against, or we'd all be paying the same prices in the supermarket), but about region locking.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/eu-slams-valve-game-publishers-geo-blocking,39001.html

It's not really about pricing at all, just about the few games that are region locked within the EU.
So, don't worry, the good old VPN->cheaper prices should still work - at least as long as Valve continues to turn a blind eye.
Except Valve responded pointing out it was specifically about cheaper prices.

Earlier today, the European Commission ("EC") sent Statements of Objections ("SO") to Valve and five publishers in an investigation that it started in 2013. The EC alleges that the five publishers entered into agreements with their distributors that included geo-blocking provisions for PC games sold by the distributors, and that separately Valve entered into agreements with the same publishers that prevented consumers in the European Economic Area ("EEA") from purchasing PC games because of their location.

However, the EC's charges do not relate to the sale of PC games on Steam - Valve's PC gaming service. Instead the EC alleges that Valve enabled geo-blocking by providing Steam activation keys and - upon the publishers' request - locking those keys to particular territories ("region locks") within the EEA. Such keys allow a customer to activate and play a game on Steam when the user has purchased it from a third-party reseller. Valve provides Steam activation keys free of charge and does not receive any share of the purchase price when a game is sold by third-party resellers (such as a retailer or other online store).

The region locks only applied to a small number of game titles. Approximately just 3% of all games using Steam (and none of Valve's own games) at the time were subject to the contested region locks in the EEA. Valve believes that the EC's extension of liability to a platform provider in these circumstances is not supported by applicable law. Nonetheless, because of the EC's concerns, Valve actually turned off region locks within the EEA starting in 2015, unless those region locks were necessary for local legal requirements (such as German content laws) or geographic limits on where the Steam partner is licensed to distribute a game. The elimination of region locks will also mean that publishers will likely raise prices in less affluent regions to avoid price arbitrage. There are no costs involved in sending activation keys from one country to another and the activation key is all a user needs to activate and play a PC game.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

Earlier today, the European Commission ("EC") sent Statements of Objections ("SO") to Valve and five publishers in an investigation that it started in 2013. The EC alleges that the five publishers entered into agreements with their distributors that included geo-blocking provisions for PC games sold by the distributors, and that separately Valve entered into agreements with the same publishers that prevented consumers in the European Economic Area ("EEA") from purchasing PC games because of their location.

However, the EC's charges do not relate to the sale of PC games on Steam - Valve's PC gaming service. Instead the EC alleges that Valve enabled geo-blocking by providing Steam activation keys and - upon the publishers' request - locking those keys to particular territories ("region locks") within the EEA. Such keys allow a customer to activate and play a game on Steam when the user has purchased it from a third-party reseller. Valve provides Steam activation keys free of charge and does not receive any share of the purchase price when a game is sold by third-party resellers (such as a retailer or other online store).

The region locks only applied to a small number of game titles. Approximately just 3% of all games using Steam (and none of Valve's own games) at the time were subject to the contested region locks in the EEA. Valve believes that the EC's extension of liability to a platform provider in these circumstances is not supported by applicable law. Nonetheless, because of the EC's concerns, Valve actually turned off region locks within the EEA starting in 2015, unless those region locks were necessary for local legal requirements (such as German content laws) or geographic limits on where the Steam partner is licensed to distribute a game. The elimination of region locks will also mean that publishers will likely raise prices in less affluent regions to avoid price arbitrage. There are no costs involved in sending activation keys from one country to another and the activation key is all a user needs to activate and play a PC game.
Epic reading comprehension fail on your part :lol:

What in your own highlighted quote even gives you a hint that the EU wants to end different prices. As I already said, the though alone is ridiculous.

Valve is merely trying to spread some panic by establishing a connection where the is none. Regional locks affect 3% of the games on Steam. 3%. Three percent. Three. Everything else is not affected, and this game most likely wouldn't be, either. Of those few affected titles, some might increase their price if the publisher/dev thought that now everyone would get those cheaper prices. Which they almost certainly won't. Regional pricing != region locks. Region lock means you cannot buy a game in country X and play in country Y, so for those titles, buying them via VPN/other store wouldn't achieve anything (except if you also played via VPN).
With the region locks removed, you COULD buy them via VPN (or some other store) for a cheaper price. But that is simply not done often enough to justify raising local prices and thus most certainly losing out on local sales. It's not like everyone buys all their keys via some cheaper way. Most simply buy via Steam.

Codex Year of the Donut

Epic reading comprehension fail on your part :lol:

What in your own highlighted quote even gives you a hint that the EU wants to end different prices. As I already said, the though alone is ridiculous.

Valve is merely trying to spread some panic by establishing a connection where the is none. Regional locks affect 3% of the games on Steam. 3%. Three percent. Three. Everything else is not affected, and this game most likely wouldn't be, either. Of those few affected titles, some might increase their price if the publisher/dev thought that now everyone would get those cheaper prices. Which they almost certainly won't. Regional pricing != region locks. Region lock means you cannot buy a game in country X and play in country Y, so for those titles, buying them via VPN/other store wouldn't achieve anything (except if you also played via VPN).
With the region locks removed, you COULD buy them via VPN (or some other store) for a cheaper price. But that is simply not done often enough to justify raising local prices and thus most certainly losing out on local sales. It's not like everyone buys all their keys via some cheaper way. Most simply buy via Steam.
And those region locked games will simply have a flat eurozone price after this change.
Yay, EU saved us from the tyrannical capitalists!

Hellraiser

Arcane

The big assumption in this case is that the publishers will behave logically and ignore that price arbitrage is possible. Price arbitrage is the sole reason why we have region locks in the first place, probably put into place by Valve due to request by one or more of the publishers. The suits in the meeting rooms of big publishers won't just ignore the possibility of price arbitrage, similar to how they fear piracy and waste money on DRM. They have tunnel vision on sales revenue, cost vs benefit analysis did not work (or was not done by them) in the case of DRM and I doubt it will work here.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron

The big assumption in this case is that the publishers will behave logically and ignore that price arbitrage is possible. Price arbitrage is the sole reason why we have region locks in the first place, probably put into place by Valve due to request by one or more of the publishers. The suits in the meeting rooms of big publishers won't just ignore the possibility of price arbitrage, similar to how they fear piracy and waste money on DRM. They have tunnel vision on sales revenue, cost vs benefit analysis did not work (or was not done by them) in the case of DRM and I doubt it will work here.
Oh, a few of them actually might go for it, yes. But even that will be a fraction of 3%. The vast majority of regional pricing will be unaffected, no matter how the region locked titles react.
In general, while you can't trust suits with anything concerning games, you can usually trust them to not make the dumbest of moves when it comes to financials. If regional locks to make sure regional pricing is not abused really were such an effective method, we'd see it everywhere. We don't even see it everywhere when big titles & publishers are involved.

Alfgart

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Video with interview and gameplay, courtesy of PC Gaymer

IMO game looks cheap and boring af, nothing like the first trailers. WTH are all these developers doing with the money from the EGS bribes?

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Video with interview and gameplay, courtesy of PC Gaymer

IMO game looks cheap and boring, nothing like the first trailers. WTH are all these developers doing with the money from the EGS bribes?

Coke and hookers.

Or just funding their next game: since they already got EGS's money for this game, they can just do the bare minimum of work on this game, with the intent of not trying to clear the amount of sales where Epic redistribute money (since I guess EGS first recoup the handout before giving money from game sales to the devs).

Norfleet

The big assumption in this case is that the publishers will behave logically and ignore that price arbitrage is possible.
Price Arbitrage gets interesting in one game I'm playing, where, due to regional pricing on the premium currency combined with a shared single shard worldwide, it is possible to create an account from a region with very low currency prices, buy the premium currency, purchase tradeable items with that currency, then turn around and RMT that stuff at a profit. This is technically a bannable offense...but why would this person care, since he is not even a player?

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
EA starts in under a month.

Will anyone be getting it on the EGS? I'm kinda bummed out that they went this way. I don't have any interest in giving Epic money.

I bought Crypt back at the very start and adore the developer, and t's just amazing to see how far they've come since then. Nevermind how impressive it'll be if they can pull off multiple genres like this — I can't think of many indies that manage that, though Klei certainly comes to mind. I guess it's possible the exclusivity money went to their head, but their original work was such a painstakingly crafted product of love, it would be hard to imagine them becoming jaded and careless already.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Will anyone be getting it on the EGS?

Nah, Epic store is for schmucks.

Especially the exclusives they have are not even good. I'm not desperate for a Sim City on different planets. And even if was I could just play Surviving Mars, which is equally bland.

Perkel

Arcane
Looks pretty great to me. I think i will try it. Seems like a mix between sim city and factorio.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Tried the demo and I don't know yet. So far the game is okay in terms of UI and building but the fact that you are building every shit inside your buildings are VERY inefficient. You build a factry then you build things inside that building. This could easily be replaced by building additional buildings, so factory would produce things intead of building factory construction and then wasting another 20 minutes building energy relays and other infrastructure inside.

Retardo

Learned
So, it comes to the Steam today.

What's the consensus on its current state, is it any good?
I've tried their Phantom Brigade, and it was pretty underwhelming.

Judging by gameplay videos, this looks rather promising and unique, or, at least, having enough gimmics, but I still have doubts.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
So, it comes to the Steam today.

What's the consensus on its current state, is it any good?

Barely any content from what i tried half a year ago. Sure you can play for few hours but you won't get anything out of it since almost everything is not in game yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom