Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Infinity: Battlescape

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2

like 15 years. maybe even more.
it's been a scam for this long, why should it change now?

Last edited:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
jesus, what's suddenly with all those proceduraly generated whole universe to explore games ?

They can't create one good fucking level and they want to make a whole universe.

Raapys

Arcane
Yeah I remember Infinity. That shit never got anywhere, but they kept promising progress. Nothx.

praetor

Arcane
to the guys dissing this because it was first announced in 2006: remember that for the longest time this was a project done by a single guy in his free time... only in something like 2010-11 did he get something resembling a "team" together, and again only in their free time (which you can imagine was a pretty rare commodity as they all work in the games industry), and even now i think only the main dude is full time on it, while the others are part time. how many kickstarters did you see with a working demo of the scope as this one here? as the resident dragondildo lover above me noted, this showed more and better gameplay in the KS pitch demo than NMS ever since it was announced

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Well I didn't exactly mean anything positive when I said that. It was funny when he pretended trees would blow my mind. What are some examples of him actually trying to scam people though?

Azazel

Arbiter
Well I didn't exactly mean anything positive when I said that. It was funny when he pretended trees would blow my mind. What are some examples of him actually trying to scam people though?

He crowdsourced art assets from the community for over a decade, under the guise of delivering something on the scale of Elite: Dangerous, and then nuked the community forums & existing tech demo and told everyone to fuck off once he got some investors on board. Seriously, Flavien first started showing off his engine on Gamedev.net back in 2003. He's licensed the software twice and poached a bunch of Epic Games staff 4 years ago. He's had no shortage of time or money to actually put out a functioning product, if that was his goal.

Now they're begging money for a flashier version of the same combat demo he released in 2006.

Does anybody actually want to play these procedural generation tech demos? Maybe it's just me, but I feel like this market is becoming oversaturated for the sake of a vastly exaggerated audience that only seems to be there due to Star Citizen's absurd amount of backer funding. The thing they've gotten wrong though, at least from my perspective, is that people don't really want space sims, they just want Star Citizen. If people actually wanted more space sims, I'm guessing X3 would've gotten huge critical acclaim and would be worth trillions of dollars by now, and that Eve Online (popular as it is) wouldn't have the "niche" reputation that it currently has.

When I think of a space sim I think of X3 or Freelancer. I think of games with handcrafted worlds that feature developed cultures, architectural styles, and setpieces, whose narratives and experiences within them all derive from PvE/PvP or even EvE (haha) interaction within them. You can barely trust a person to craft a good setting, let alone a goddamn computer, and yet setting is most of the reason why these games stay with me.
Game mechanics in these are extremely important, as with all kinds of games, but I've noticed that when it comes to this genre, that these things are very, very easily let down by boring game worlds, which is the only thing procedural generation is going to give you unless your game is Dwarf Fortress. That’s because I just honestly don't see what's "addictive" about their overall gameplay formulae on its own. I can get addicted to the “clicking and loot” of Diablo but I can’t get enthralled within Albion Prelude’s (if we're being honest) dry as fuck gameplay unless it has an observable effect on a world that was created, at least initially, with some degree of heart, emotion, and creativity, that has actually attempted to make me give a shit about it.

Last edited:

Duellist_D

Savant
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Most of it is probably current generation hype.

Procedural exploration is just the new "IN" buzzword thingy.

Also, while people probably want Space Games, many want them to be easily accessible.
X is nice, but, if we are honest, its not that easy for a gamer with current generations Mindset (hurr what are manuals) to get into it, and even for those that actually do read the manuals, stuff like CLS extensions have a bit of a learning curve to it.

And finally: No, procedural shittery is in my opinion usually a codeword for assboring worlds with little stuff of interest to explore.
Handcrafted is (almost?) always better.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom