Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Infra Arcana - An H.P. Lovecraft/Horror based Roguelike

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
OK so I don't think the problem has anything to do with SP versions anymore.

I think the problem I'm having is because I'm trying to run it on a virtual machine, and that hardware acceleration is not supported.

I re-uploaded the IA Windows version now, renamed as "x86" instead, since that's clearly what it is.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Downloaded. Gonna start right now. The Changelog I have read is very promising.

If the game was excellent before. I can't imagine the new version.

For me this is most desired release in the past 6 months at least. This is the true incline.

I will give feedback when I did some runs.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Second run of this new version. Descended to the first dungeon level, opened a door, saw Major Clapham Lee inside. Alright, guess I'm not going there. Close the door and take a few steps back and what do I see? A fucking mindeater.

Great changes by the way, but not sure if the above was a bug or some sort of randomized "fuck you" event, haha. Certainly made for a good story and genuinely scary experience?

hahah. Nice start.

And the peasants waiting for Casul Grimoire.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I'm struggling a lot fighting with the rogue. He hits less often than before.The first levels are definitely harder with him. I have to adjust my strategy and try to avoid enemies instead of fighting.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Isn't it very harsh 40% shock penalty when in dark places?

Monster info, with detailed numeric stats it's one of the best additions to the update! Now the mechanics aren't so arcane.

The update is growing on me although my best run so far has been level 5. :lol:

KYGr560.png

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I also think that the Cloud Minds new rod for the Rogue recharge time is very harsh (250 turns). I know there is a skill that reduces it to half, but you still have only one shot per encounter, it only helps to manage your shock a bit resting to recharge it, and this skill is not so useful for the Rogue playstyle. At least I think the recharge time should be reduced on Level UP.

I'm liking the game a lot but it think the Rogue has been nerfed too much. Maybe I'm wrong.

An aspect got right in this version is the more importance of darkness. There are more dark places, I even found a complete level! So the lantern feels more useful and important to conserve.

Last edited:

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
It only gives 20% shock (unless you have a phobia of darkness, then it's 50%).

If think what happened is that you stepped from a lit cell to a dark cell (cells can be neutral, lit, or dark). Lit cells reduces shock by 20%, so if that's the case then you went from -20% to +20% shock modifier.

I also think that the Cloud Minds new rod for the Rogue recharge time is very harsh (250 turns).
Yes, it's way too much. The reason it's 250 turns is that all Rods have the same cooldown time, and some of the Rods, like Curing or Bless should have a very long cooldown. I figured that they need to have equal cooldown time so that you can't identify them by this number (I try to avoid cheap spoiler based gameplay like this when I can).

But I realized that Cloud Minds is guaranteed to be identified on use anyway, so a different cooldown time is actually no problem.

I will reduce the cooldown heavily for v19.1 - I'm even considering something like 10 turns.

eXalted

Arcane
qxkVMlv.jpg

This candelabra burnt the whole stone floor all the way to the upper left corner. Is this normal?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
But I realized that Cloud Minds is guaranteed to be identified on use anyway, so a different cooldown time is actually no problem.

I will reduce the cooldown heavily for v19.1 - I'm even considering something like 10 turns.

Maybe 10 turns is too much. You can spam cloud minds unless you are inmediately next to a monster. But I'm sure you have thought the reason. What about 2 or 3 inmediate charges, like in Brogue, and after that a long cooldown (250) turns, this would make the item powerful, but encourage management and encounter tactics to the player and not spam it like a madman.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
This candelabra burnt the whole stone floor all the way to the upper left corner. Is this normal?
Yes, their fire spread out over time, and then the Pylon deactivates itself after a while.

Also, that's not really THAT far (I'm counting about 15 cells distance) - the tile dimensions makes it look far, but vertically the map is very small.

Looking at the horizontal spread instead, 15 cells is only a few steps beyond those hanging vines on the right - which doesn't seem as far.

Maybe 10 turns is too much. You can spam cloud minds unless you are inmediately next to a monster. But I'm sure you have thought the reason. What about 2 or 3 inmediate charges, like in Brogue, and after that a long cooldown (250) turns, this would make the item powerful, but encourage management and encounter tactics to the player and not spam it like a madman.
It seems to me like if you do it exactly like that - then that would encourage using up your last 1 or 2 charges next to the stairs - then waiting for the cooldown to get a completely refreshed Rod for the next level. This sounds a bit weird and annoying.

Perhaps it could simply have a max number of charges, and each charge takes a certain number of turns to regain? The cooldown per charge should be long, but probably less than 250.

The Electrically Inclined trait could also raise the number of maximum charges by one.

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
Perhaps it could simply have a max number of charges, and each charge takes a certain number of turns to regain? The cooldown per charge should be long, but probably less than 250.
Actually, I think this s the thing that Brogue does. Each rod has a couple of charges and (for example) on every 250 turn a charge is filled.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
Actually, I think this s the thing that Brogue does. Each rod has a couple of charges and (for example) on every 250 turn a charge is filled.
Time to shamelessly copy this feature then :)

eXalted

Arcane
I really like the new changes. It feels like a different game. Now when playing rogue I find myself constantly hiding and running and not thinking of creative ways to kill everybody to get that sweet EXP. Oh, and removing trap EXP is also a very nice touch. It felt very meta to disable every trap on every level.

I only find it strange that while deaf I can still be aware of the enemy presence. Turning off the sound while deaf is a nice touch too.

eXalted

Arcane
Q2oeVSd.jpg

Huh? The game generated the same first level that I have already played. How is this possible?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I really like the new changes. It feels like a different game. Now when playing rogue I find myself constantly hiding and running and not thinking of creative ways to kill everybody to get that sweet EXP. Oh, and removing trap EXP is also a very nice touch. It felt very meta to disable every trap on every level.

I only find it strange that while deaf I can still be aware of the enemy presence. Turning off the sound while deaf is a nice touch too.
Totally agree. I 'm having a lot of fun palying stealthy with the rogue, but I hope they reduce Cloud Minds rod cooldown or give us some charges to work with. Right now the item is too weak with only one charge and 250 turn cooldown.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
Huh? The game generated the same first level that I have already played. How is this possible?
This is due to a bug (and a not so great API of the C++11/14 randomness functionality).

The issue has ben fixed. There will be a v19.1 in a couple days.

On some machines, the random number generator would have a fixed seed (apparently, the C++ std::random_device can silently fall back on this method if it cannot find a source of randomness...), resulting in deterministic map generation, etc - the RNG is now seeded with the current time instead

Ongoing changelog, as always:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/martin-tornqvist/ia/develop/res/release_history.txt

I recommend waiting for v19.1.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
Totally agree. I 'm having a lot of fun palying stealthy with the rogue, but I hope they reduce Cloud Minds rod cooldown or give us some charges to work with. Right now the item is too weak with only one charge and 250 turn cooldown.
Yes, it will have multiple charges. I'm working on it as we speak.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Even with that,I'm enjoying the game a lot. I think this version is a step up in the right direction in an already great game. Removing XP merged with the other changes has been a success.

This is my modest best run in 19.0 (I have only played with the rogue).

Qo4Ephp.png

This was an ugly setup with a fast red fucker with the ability to burn you in flames at range. The upper door was closed, and with the rogue is very hard to break. I also heared undying grunts at the other side of the door. The guy was on the left, heared me and came to me, I used the cloud mind rod to escape, went down to try to reset the rod but the fucker chose to came down instead of walking in the upper part of the map. I should have tried to stay on the left maybe, but I was afraid about the non explored zone of the map.

non

Infra Arcana
Developer
So what are some reliable ways to take out ravens? Dynamite? Mi-Go shock cannon? Tactical nuke?
The best way is to put on a gas mask if you have that. Otherwise the second safest option is if you can beak Edit: BREAK line of sight somehow (they don't actively follow you unless they see you), walk around a corner, use a smoke grenade, .... third option, molotov/dynamite, or just hack away.

Last edited:

eXalted

Arcane
I recommend waiting for v19.1.

When?
:mob:

The same first level feels like an official one for me now.

Just joking, no pressure. But if it is not soon... I don't have randomly generated levels. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career.

After playing a few dozen more runs, I just want to say the latest update elevated this game into brilliance. The fact that you are generally better off avoiding monsters rather than engaging them, and that there are fewer of them, translates into pretty unique gameplay that is more interesting than the previous versions of the game or similar roguelikes IMO.

My only complaint is that sometimes secret and locked areas are too empty. I can find a loot-rich chest/bookshelf room pretty easily, then have to find a switch for a locked door and backtrack to it only to find a few rocks inside. Perhaps make it so that the former areas are the ones typically hidden or behind metal gates? It would make sense that knowledge would be concealed or locked away in a lovecraftian setting, and it give all classes an incentive to find/unlock these rooms as currently the loot that they have is mostly oriented towards war veterans (since I mostly saw heavy weapons and body armor in there). Then again I'm sure you put more thought into the algorithm so I might be talking out of my ass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom