Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

RegionalHobo

Scholar
one day, ONE DAY

Jinn

Arcane
For some reason I never looked at the art book that came with the deluxe edition (though I think most people have it now because of that initial DLC blunder) until today.

My God the concept art and lore for this game found within it is insanely good. My chief concern beyond being able to play this game is that this setting will live on and get explored in other future projects. A prequel would be amazing. Not sure how the game ends, but I would imagine a sequel would be too.

My hype is nearly unbearable and it has been for the past couple months. Those hours of play I got before it became clear I needed to stop sunk their claws deep inside me. I know the issues with the gameplay, and I know how it could be improved, but all I want to do is explore Object 6 and discover its inhabitants.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
1.4 has arrived + plans for the future
DECEMBER 12 - VAULT_13
8b3a6698e31d4d09c611d23b5f7e8eb5a0313c8d.jpg

Hello everyone! Today is the day as we are releasing the next patch for INSOMNIA: The Ark. Previously, we’ve outlined a roadmap regarding the specific issues we’ve been working on. So let us go over some of the highlights below:
  • A key remapping option has been added to the Settings menu. Now it doesn’t matter if you are using QWERTY, AZERTY or a custom made keyboard scrapped from the computer terminal of a lost civilization — we’ve got you covered!

• Endgame dialogue with Thel now allows you to get all of the possible story outcomes based on the decisions made throughout the game. Were you helpful enough to the ones in need? Or maybe you pursued your own goals all the way down to the end? Let’s find out!

• Lack of option to talk to Riebel in order to complete the “Bane of Mills” quest has been fixed, which was an issue if you were skillful enough to progress with this quest using your hacking skills. Hold on Thyper, we are coming!

• Inventory sorting now works as expected and previously equipped items no longer overlay other items. You can now get back to your regular scavenging activities. Just remember to keep your inner kleptomaniac in check or you may find yourself encumbered with heavy loot and your character will suffer from poor combat performance!

• The volume level toggles for music and sound effects are sorted out in the Settings menu. Now you can have better control over what you want to hear while roaming Object 6 on your way to… what you’ve been doing lately anyway?

• Numerous smaller bug fixes and improvements.
We are still battling our way through a bug with the “Collector” quest and some other settings-related issues, which is something to look forward to in v1.5. And since 2018 is almost over, you are probably wondering about our plans regarding INSOMNIA, aren’t you?

2019 and beyond

4a8bfecbad4f41c8c1a0dd6581cfdf44e54b460d.jpg

Obviously we will continue to collect the feedback you are providing via the Community Hub, comments and other means of communication in order to continue improving the game. At the same time, our priority for the near future is to update the version of the Unreal Engine 4 that INSOMNIA currently uses to the latest one. This should help resolve a few issues like missing textures for specific in-game models, localization-related glitches and generally make the game more stable.

We are researching the subject at the moment and doing all kinds of tests to get an idea of whether the engine update is worth pursuing, as well as what our team and you, our community, can expect from it. Anyway we’ve got plenty of good stuff planned for INSOMNIA in 2019, including content updates, so stay tuned!

P.S. we still have more news for you till the end of 2018, so no worries. See you next week insomniacs ;)

Something tells me this is far from the end of our troubles, but I'm hoping it's enough to get to end of my first playthrough! I'll come back with what I think in a few hours when I have a brief moment in my day when I can try it out.

Codex Year of the Donut
For some reason I never looked at the art book that came with the deluxe edition (though I think most people have it now because of that initial DLC blunder) until today.

My God the concept art and lore for this game found within it is insanely good. My chief concern beyond being able to play this game is that this setting will live on and get explored in other future projects. A prequel would be amazing. Not sure how the game ends, but I would imagine a sequel would be too.

My hype is nearly unbearable and it has been for the past couple months. Those hours of play I got before it became clear I needed to stop sunk their claws deep inside me. I know the issues with the gameplay, and I know how it could be improved, but all I want to do is explore Object 6 and discover its inhabitants.
Did you read the comic book that comes with it?

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
TimCain look at this game. It's a bug infested mess (a much bigger mess than anything you guys have managed to do, I know, unbelievable) but its art style can proudly stand shoulder to shoulder with the original Fallout. You should have hired these vodka-fueled squatters instead of those gender-neutral pink haired abominations for The Outer Worlds. Cheers.

Jinn

Arcane
Alright, so I started a new game from a completely fresh install.

- NPCs that are walking at a leisurely pace are still making a running sound effect. Super annoying and unimaginable that this can be such a difficult thing for them to fix.

- Inventory auto-stacking and organization work again!

- Hole in the wall in the beginning area near the closed off entrance of Limb now has a wall in front of it! Hopefully this means that such instances are fixed later in the game.

That's about all I can report right now. Very annoyed by the running sound effect issue still being present, but fuck it. I can't wait any longer. I'm diving head first into this. I know I'll play it at least a second time in the future, so whatever.

RegionalHobo

Scholar
Alright, so I started a new game from a completely fresh install.

- NPCs that are walking at a leisurely pace are still making a running sound effect. Super annoying and unimaginable that this can be such a difficult thing for them to fix.

- Inventory auto-stacking and organization work again!

- Hole in the wall in the beginning area near the closed off entrance of Limb now has a wall in front of it! Hopefully this means that such instances are fixed later in the game.

That's about all I can report right now. Very annoyed by the running sound effect issue still being present, but fuck it. I can't wait any longer. I'm diving head first into this. I know I'll play it at least a second time in the future, so whatever.

our most capable codex explorer, ready to to set foot again at object 6 after a disastrous first expedition where many dare not return. best of luck!
Together we are hobo triumvirate

they should hire us hobos to fix the game. i'm pretty sure we have more people than the current team and that experience working for vodka would sure come in handy here. who knows, perhaps the code can only be understood after drinking, it would certainly explain a lot.

kain30

Cipher
I was about to start a playthrough, but it seems the main quest "all flesh is grass" is still broken... Oh well, I will play until I complete just cause 4 and yakuza 0 and come back again to insomnia to see if it´s playable from start to finish.

Jinn

Arcane
So, I'm 16 hours into my earnest playthrough with v1.4.

Technical and mechanical issues are still numerous. most notably;
- sound bugs as noted previously
- occasional mixed up translation with item names (mostly ammo), confirmation text in inventory ui, and a dialogue here or there
- un-optimal autosort function
- inability to scroll down on weapon and armor information if it is longer than the height of the description box
- inability to delete save games ingame, inability to scroll past the first three save slots when saving
- lack of numerical representation for XP in character sheet and XP gain feedback from quests and combat
- some lack of ingame explanation of certain mechanics, particularly defense stats (refer to this post here for an explanation of it though)
- decent melee combat marred by near unavoidable stun-lock exploit (though I've been strictly using firearms to avoid this, and only using melee in emergency situations)
- unfortunate enemy AI in some areas
- and other minor bugs.

But most importantly and above all else:

I love this game.

All of the above cannot ruin it for me. Keep in mind that I'm going into this with the knowledge that I will replay this game sometime in the future, and hope by then many problems will be addressed. But yeah, this game is a very special thing and I'm glad that it exists in any form.

Yes, the role-playing mechanics could be a little more in-depth, but they are there, and it isn't just an action-adventure game like I fallaciously claimed it was in an earlier post. The game encourages specialization, and you start to see the rewarding result of that the further you get. A number of these skill specializations factor into dialogue choices and how quests are resolved. On the topic of quests, they seem like standard fetch-quests and kill-quests, but they almost always have a twist that makes them more involved. Often times, these unexpected interruptions can actually lead to either failing the quest, or a half-completion of it where you still get some experience points, but no reward. It's always interesting when you choose a dialogue choice that is tied to your class or a certain skill thinking it will help resolve matters, only to have it completely blow up in your face. You could navigate such things through save-scumming, but every time it's happened to me, I can't help but just smile and go "oh well, that's just how this bitch of a world goes." It's very fitting considering the unforgiving nature of Object 6.

Which brings us to setting, world-building aesthetic, atmosphere, writing. It's all top-notch and truly awe-inspiring. Something that really just needs to be experienced to really understand. I will say that the writing suffers from the translation, but not enough to get in the way of my enjoyment of it in the least. The world just bursts with character, and everyone you talk to has something interesting to say, whether about themselves or the massive dilapidated colony ship they are riding through space.

Combat has been a mixed-bag, but somehow still really fun. You can feel the difference your equipment makes in certain encounters, and while it isn't vital to invest skill points in combat skills, certain seemingly insurmountable situations become much more manageable when you do. While quite a number of people take issue with the aiming system, I like it a lot for the most part. It feels good and it lends a unique character to all the firearms. I even noticed a consistent sight inaccuracy occurring between them, with some rifles shooting a little up and to the right of the cross hair at times. Part of what continuously makes combat fun despite its faults is seeing the impact a new piece of gear has on your performance in battle. Which leads to loot.

I have mixed feelings on the itemization, but much like the combat, it still ends up being very satisfying in the end. Most merchants seem to have static offerings, which means you'll find a great amount of the finest mid-tier armor and weapons for sale at a reliably static store. This isn't to say there isn't a ton of rewarding moments of finding high-tier weapons, armor, and items through exploration. You can notice the jumps in power when you upgrade to another weapon or armor piece, which is very reminiscent of the crucial role equipment played in the best Piranha Bytes games. The unfortunate thing is there is also a lot of random junk loot that you have to also sort through along the way. While I like the feeling this lends to the atmosphere of survival and scavenging, it becomes a bit of a chore dealing with the inventory, particularly when auto-sort does not sort by item type. It kind of just lines things up towards the top as best it can. You can organize items you always have in your inventory (ammo, food, healing items, etc.) fairly well with the combination of manual organization and the auto-sort though. An improved inventory system and sorting functionality would solve this problem entirely, and would accentuate all the fun to be found in the crafting system.

Overall, the game has me enthralled and I love every moment I spend exploring it. With some special attention and hard work (and maybe some additional staff), Mono Studio could polish this into the gem it clearly has the potential to be. It would be a tragedy if this game were forgotten, and even more of a tragedy if they weren't able to carry its amazing potential forward with future projects. I look forward to the rest of my playthrough, and probably several more in the future as well. The game has major problems, but I can't help but look past them and have an amazing experience every time I play it.

Last edited:

Jinn

Arcane
now you are making me want to play but I just bought Atom RPG and that is out in a week!

ATOM RPG is out in two days! I wish I had had more time to play Insomnia this week so I could finish it off before then, but I have the next two days off, so I'm going to play a lot and see where I get.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So we will have to wait 10 years and try to form a cult around this game, have dozens of fan patches, troika style.

Truly a wonder of a game from the glory days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom