Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

Jinn

Arcane
The game is finished and finishable without many bugs.

Didn't mean fixed as in completeable, I meant fixed in terms of all the other numerous bugs infesting it and gameplay mechanics that fall apart after the first 10 hours. Also, my game bugged out right after the water plant infiltration so that I had to look up the last fight and ending on the current version, so no, it wasn't even completeable for me.

Jinn that was the first post I saw because viewing unread didnt go to the previous posts for some reason so I had no idea what you were talking about re: fantadomat

Ah, I got ya.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hey fantadomat, care explaining why you feel it's retarded for me to think a game released 6 months ago that hasn't shown any signs of improvement won't be fixed (and I'm talking about major gameplay problems here) in the long run?
The same can be said for the shit that's shitted. It's done. Complete work of (f)art. Not saying game is shit, but it could've been da shiet, Arcanum in Space. Spacefallout they promised! Experience life in Moscow's communistic building block, lost among the stars...

Cowboy BlyatBlop, Putin's no 1. RPG
:mca:
Mate i couldn't understand anything from that mishmash of nonsense. Maybe you should check your local psychiatrist?

Jinn ,i didn't had any major bugs that stopped me from finishing the game and i found in fun and interesting.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
The same can be said for the shit that's shitted. It's done. Complete work of (f)art. Not saying game is shit, but it could've been da shiet, Arcanum in Space. Spacefallout they promised! Experience life in Moscow's communistic building block, lost among the stars...

Cowboy BlyatBlop, Putin's no 1. RPG
:mca:
Mate i couldn't understand anything from that mishmash of nonsense. Maybe you should check your local psychiatrist?

Jinn ,i didn't had any major bugs that stopped me from finishing the game and i found in fun and interesting.

Game is certainly not looking bad, game's story is not written badly at all, gameplay mechanics are trying to be isometric Bioshock which might sound good to some ears but they spectacularly fail to achieve even that, partly thanks to bug infestation, partly because everything this game was supposed to be mutated into what it is now. You see, I actually watched its development very closely so I can recall few things:
  • was supposed to be Fallout 1/2 in Space with 4k graphics. Devs routinely namedropped Fallouts and what an not only inspiration but also goal to achieve they are. Very few aspects of OG Fallouts which were used for Kickstarter marketig survived company's, team's and project's transformation or mutation, should I say, through the years
  • there were 3 Kickstarter campaigns for this. First failed, other two did not. First one dated as far into the past as 2013. If you go and read them now, and they have been retrospectively edited, there's still enough material for lawsuit had Kickstarter been not been set up as Red Cross. Everything changed
  • Dieselpunk, well they ran out of creative fuel for that one and opted for more mainstream retro noir/ art deco. Beautiful and immersive Fallout/Arcanum inspired UI but also fuctional? Nah, Ubisoft minimalistic UI that makes Skyrim vanilla UI seem Arcanum beautiful. There was discussion on that topic here in thread with company representative who admitted project changed creative direction. Anyone seen the guy here lately btw?
  • Different approaches to solving quests, faction system, living world etc? Very few survivors here. Twenty (20!) additional FREE of charge story chapters each 3-6h in length that are are to be released after release? No, I'm not making this up and no, they're not making it
  • Project was in ninja mode for entire year at a time, with no updates, no communication, it was half-deserted - just like the space station itself. When they re-emerged from the shadows, wearing dark sign of decline carved on their foreheads - everything changed and when I and others pressed devs on it they shrugged, said it was in best interest of their game (and bank account) and said deal сука with it. Deal with paying donations to Russian mob with these sale numbers, blyat!
So everything here, further popamolisation, making it pewy-pewy, Bioshocking entire thing to the max, not living up to given promises, own goals, community expectations and most importantly admitting it and branding as change of creative direction is what this once very promising project made a disapointment. To me and everyone who has standards and expectations built on foundation of their promises.

And perhaps most importantly, their product is still falling apart under the weight of all the bugs so even if you want to enjoy it for what it is they made it hardcore hard. With all due respect Brolgarian bro, I'm not trusting you to have conventionally considered normal expectations of what should be functioning, working and well-designed product. Vidya game or otherwise. You coming from Brolgaria and all. Did you even pay for it, though not sure how good gotcha that actually is, considering money would probably come from some EU subsidy.

EU subsidizing decline, online & offline :D

Jinn

Arcane
And perhaps most importantly, their product is still falling apart under the weight of all the bugs so even if you want to enjoy it for what it is they made it hardcore hard.

This so much. The game hooks you in with its interesting setting and story to be sure, which might be where fantadomat's - known lover of story over good gameplay - strange loyalty for this game comes from. You'd have to be blind, stupid, or just not care about gameplay at all to think that Insomnia's holds up past a quarter of the game's length, particularly under the weight of the very obvious plethora of bugs and mismanaged systems.

Excellent and spot-on post, The Wall. The dishonesty and incompetency involved in this game's development stretches far before and well beyond its official release date. The gameplay portion of the game is essentially still in prototype mode, which is why it simply does not hold up throughout the course of the experience. I love the first 10 or so hours of the game, which are still very fun despite the glaring problems, but if someone is going to try to defend the rest of the game, then they clearly have questionable taste in general. And thinking this team has the ability to clean this mess up after their displays of incompetency is fantastical to say the least. I'd feel bad for them, except I payed near full price for their game only to be lied to and misled about it to this very day which is, again, six months past the day it was released as a finished product.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I was curios what is the current state of the game and it looks like they are updating the game's engine to latest UE version. To be released in the future patch 1.5.

However there were no updates in the last 2 months and the entire process could easily take a couple of months more. These guys are complete clowns :)

It pains me to say this but they deserve to go bankrupt. Like the idiots developing Copper Dreams.

Jinn

Arcane
These guys are complete clowns :)

It pains me to say this but they deserve to go bankrupt.

Yes, they probably do deserve it at this point, as much as it pains me to agree.

Like the idiots developing Copper Dreams.

No. They already released a previous game at least, unlike Mono. Also, Whalenought hasn't "released" Copper Dreams as a finished product yet like Mono did with Insomnia. Big differences between the two situations. Take it easy there.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
I keep waiting for the updated engine but am wondering if I should just fucking play it now.

The game could be great with small improvements but it seems that they don't know how to improve anything that's why I would say: Play it now.

Jinn

Arcane
but all we ask is just bugs and performance fix

These are not enough to save this game. It needs a mechanical/gameplay overhaul. Very unfortunate that they are unable to fix even the superficial issues like performance and bugs in 7+ months time. Quick reminder to all hopefuls in this thread that the game has actually regressed in quality since release. If you've been waiting this long, I hope for your sake this UE4 update they've been touting for months on end is fruitful to your final experience of the game. However, as I've said before, I wouldn't doubt it introduces more problems than it fixes. If you want to get some kind of experience out of the game, I'd recommend playing it now and being open to possibly playing an improved version on a subsequent playthrough. Unfortunately, it's hard to see it being feasible that this improved version will ever come.

Last edited:

Zer0wing

Cipher
Йокарный бабай. This thread is some real
honkhonk.png
supply. So, any ETA on a more or less final patch?

Zer0wing

Cipher
>someone posted in the Insomnia thread? I bet the game is all patched now!
>HONK HONK
Oh, take a guess about the patch status. :lol:
They're "testing" the 1.5 update right now. However long this takes, it's over. It's better to invest time into PF:KM, ATOM 1.1, Spell-fucking-fore 3 or other eurojank.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
This was posted on May 10 but no one posted it here so here we go:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/783170/announcements/detail/1616141061516340520

Hello everyone! Today, we would like to summarize the latest Community Hub activity that might come in handy both for newcomers and veteran insomniacs. Also, we will give you an update on the current status of the v1.5 patch for INSOMNIA so you can get a better understanding of when to expect it.

Pen and Paper INSOMNIA RPG

As we have mentioned before, one of our community members started to work on a PnP version of the game. The author has already published an introduction to the system, a character sheet, and a mechanics summary. If this is something you might be interested in, you are welcome to participate and/or give feedback:

Current progress on v1.5

Recent testing session of the latest release candidate for v1.5 showed that localization issues are fixed indeed. However, the general report from QA indicates that v1.5 patch still requires additional work.

We are expecting to get a new release candidate on May 17th and start our next QA session on May 20th, which should give us a better idea of when v1.5 is going to be released. As always, we will keep you informed in our future updates. Thank you for your patience.

Until next time!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom