Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter INSOMNIA: The Ark - dieselpunk sci-fi action-RPG set on a decaying space station

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It is great concept,good story/writing decent combat,but it is all bogged down with some retarded mechanics and crippled exploration. An Arcanum style of exploration would have been great for the game,cutting out all the retarded encounters that you can't move 5 meters without popping up. The surviving mechanics should have been cut,they are useless and pointless,nothing to survive lol. Also the whole parts inventory part should have been a side menu where you have like 20 types of them and they are accumulated weightlessly and used when needed. The maps doesn't need a reload/restock cycle,half of their bugs are because of that shit,they should have been constant. Reloading/restocking just makes exploration meaningless.

As a whole the game is not bad.......but fuck,isn't it painful,such wasted potential :(.

Sòren

Arcane
finished the game at 65h.

some bugs, nothing game breaking:

- spawn problems of companions when arriving at a location from map (they spawn somewhere, but many times not where they are supposed to)
- visiting somnia from antiquarian's place doesn't work after a certain time after u discovered the second entrance point (u get in but u can't leave)
- some enemies leave combat mode too quickly, but meh.

can't think of much else. didn't encounter any problems with main or sidequests -i never finished the "art gallery" or the doctor's white bell (i didn't manage to find more than two over the whole game) quests tho.

highpoints of the game are story, atmosphere, armor design and amount of content. it's also very unique in its depiction of military, military structures and conflicts over power, even though that's more of a sideplot. the story is written amazingly well for a video game, the pieces of the puzzle u collected during your playthrough fall into place nicely at the end.

i enjoyed the combat because i never felt overpowered, i died many times and it had interesting encounter design in some places.

loot placement could have been handled better, sometimes it's highly rewarding and many times it isn't.

overall i enjoyed every minute. and it was very pleasing in an aesthetic sense.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
Finally starting this game, buggy from the start. Looks incredible, definitely could have been on the CRPG Mount Rushmore based on its bones.

Codex Year of the Donut
Finally starting this game, buggy from the start. Looks incredible, definitely could have been on the CRPG Mount Rushmore based on its bones.
I'm not even sure if the devs are aware of the goldmine they're sitting on. A polished, less buggy enhanced edition would do extremely well.
Kind of sad because they're like 95% of the way there already.

ShaggyMoose

Savant
Yeah, I was interested in this from pre-alpha but I am not keen to start a game that I might never be able to finish due to bugs. I hate having to read spoilers just to work out what I can do but shouldn't because it will fuck my save.

Murk

Arcane
Yes, though there are situations where your character build can make things a lot easier (like disarming mines) but it's sort of a wash. Basically, there are obstacles and barriers -- and sometimes they take the form of a hacking terminal, a lock, a mine, a busted generator... and each requires different skills, but in the end, they function very similarly.

Ultimately whatever skills raise your carry capacity is what you'll end up with.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
This combat is hella garbage. AI can shoot through the holes of your cover, but you can't shoot out of the holes, and if you're by any obstacle at all your shot will bounce off of it, even if it's not visibly impeding the sight.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
This combat is hella garbage. AI can shoot through the holes of your cover, but you can't shoot out of the holes, and if you're by any obstacle at all your shot will bounce off of it, even if it's not visibly impeding the sight.
Ahhh no,the combat is physics based. If you are accurate you could shoot trough the cover. The bullets have its own model that interacts with the level,it is pretty impressive when you think about it. Yes,the combat is really hard to get in to it,but once you do it really clicks and becomes a blast. Nothing like running around with a good rifle and sharpshooting enemies in the head.....tho it is more of a crouching than running around :). The worst part is that item deterioration,you might end up fixing your rifle twice a mission because of it.....so bring spare parts.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Ahhh no,the combat is physics based. If you are accurate you could shoot trough the cover. The bullets have its own model that interacts with the level,it is pretty impressive when you think about it. Yes,the combat is really hard to get in to it,but once you do it really clicks and becomes a blast. Nothing like running around with a good rifle and sharpshooting enemies in the head.....tho it is more of a crouching than running around :). The worst part is that item deterioration,you might end up fixing your rifle twice a mission because of it.....so bring spare parts.
Unless there's a first person mode I don't see how you even could.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Unless there's a first person mode I don't see how you even could.
Good hand-eye coordination,you get used to it the more you do it. But yeah,i do agree that some kind of actual scope would have been better.

JDR13

Arcane
Are they still actively patching this or is it as finished as it's going to get at this point?

*Edit* Nevermind. I see they're working on v1.7 now.

Last edited:

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Well, I used a trainer to complete the game. Some of the levels seem ridiculous with the waves of dangerous opponents and every bullet costing a small fortune. Maybe it's easier if you choose the melee class. I'm not sure I could have completed this game without cheating, if for no other reason than that I wouldn't have had the patience when most of the gems of the game are experienced in the first few hours (setting, art design, atmosphere).

The bugs were not too bad, mostly just quirks that you needed to reload the game to solve, I had the bug with my character gliding on the ground and was going to slap some Benny Hill music to clip it but didn't have display capture on, whoops. The bigger issue is that after that absurd slog (for the fools that didn't use wemod :positive:) the ending amounted to pick the red door or the blue door as far as I can tell. I'm not sure I cared for the supernatural stuff. Some of the language is still to be translated into English, including the text for diffusing the randomly placed "shadow dogs" that are everywhere and which might be the single most annoying and unfun game mechanic of all time, making exploration an utter chore.

I wonder how far it is from the original team's intended release. It seems most of the design choices were intrinsic rather than just slapped on later. Very little if any CnC, mostly fetch quests where you have to suffer the ridiculously tedious global map screen going to the same places back and forth only mitigated by what amounts to two extra load screens for generally uninteresting random encounters. In general, there are no alternative means to solve quests or missions. It's much more of an RPG-lite like Dishonored but a much worse --even absurdly-- designed one.

Codex Year of the Donut
https://store.steampowered.com/app/783170/INSOMNIA_The_Ark/
Great day! Patch 1.7 has released
ba1a4aff86264545d070289eebbfcca4f7efb030.png

Citizens of Object 6! Update 1.7 is out. We repeat, update 1.7 is out!

The update brings major bug fixes and new in-game content — a pack of random encounters that require quick thinking and the right skills to overcome them. Completing these encounters will reward players with unique weapons and armour.

You will come across fierce enemies as well as… a little girl. Be careful around her as the little one is followed by a formidable protector.

And here’s the full list of fixes for bugs that you will (hopefully) never encounter again:

Locations
  • Added the missing quest key door in j27
  • Fixed the inability to view paintings inside the House of Zerden.
  • Enemies still present in Zone B27 in the quest At The Bottom despite combat being disabled. Their fury could barely be contained.
  • Removed the invisible wall in location d_p_d106_battle inside the building (the ‘Boiling point’ quest). Previously it appeared near the elevator entrance, preventing players from progressing further.
  • Patched a small hole in the floor in ‘Wild grove’. During self-isolation, we’ve decided to make some renovations — just like your neighbours.
  • Fixed the blocked exit point from location B-5279s.
  • Removed the doorstep in ‘Bypass Road’ (d_p_stop). Now it’s a bit chilly though with the air blowing from under the door.

8769e49e7d730c978cee7aceea90e3ac25f5c2e3.png

Gameplay
  • Fixed cutscene not starting after loading an autosave in the location of Clan Morakh if the player chose to follow the Church of Bea Kera.
  • !SPOILER! Fixed the game not ending if the enemies manage to kill general Tanaber in the quest ‘Not A Step Backwards’.
  • Fixed the ‘value’ count missing when trading. Blind trading is dangerous, kids!
  • Fixed the inability to kill Kevas with the help of the Red Band character in ‘Sulfur Geyser’ quest.
  • Fixed Maurits hitting the air and not attacking the player. On the second thought, he might have been nearsighted.
  • Disabled the ability to attack the Herald boss before the final dialogue with him. No more preemptive strikes!
  • Fixed the door to Zers Morakh being open even if the player chose to betray the clan during the quest ‘Revived Union’. These guys were way too welcoming.

Characters
  • Fixed dialogue with Zerden not starting automatically during the ‘Ghosts Of The Past’ quest.
  • Fixed dialogue with Gosp not starting automatically during the ‘Ghosts Of The Past’ quest.
  • Fixed the inability to give Morty the ‘Righteous Fury’ mask. It’s rude to refuse a gift, you know.
  • Fixed the idle animation cycle for Nerral in Monarch’s Base. The guy finally pulled himself together and calmed down.
  • Removed system info from the dialogue with Koposhun. He now speaks human.
  • Removed the skill check for the dialogue with Morty during the ‘Tyler’s Hideout’ quest.
  • Disabled the ability for your allies to kill children in ‘D-106’. This place will drive anyone insane.

1c98463c1d5d75d28f93ed5718eec6916eb7f745.png

Items
  • Added the missing effects to DELUXE backpack.
  • Added the missing ‘dismantle’ option for the ‘patient’s pants’ item.
  • Removed the chance to get 0 details from dismantling the ‘Whirlwind Grenade Launcher’, ‘Lans Hand Grenade Launcher’ and ‘Knuckle’
  • Fixed ‘Hammer’ and ‘Mallet’ dealing no damage from sprinting attack. Though, these instruments usually have other purposes.
  • Removed the iconless item from Zoey after killing her during the ‘Liquid Sky’ quest.

User Interface
  • Fixed the version number appearing the same as the release version.
  • Fixed the Esc button not working after changing the ‘Cancel’ button keybind in the settings menu.
  • Fixed the inability to interact with buttons in the main menu on 4k resolutions.

Graphics

Fixed lighting errors on the Global Map. The Ark is drifting ever forward, leaving the Sun behind.

Jinn

Arcane
I have a feeling it'll be VERY similar to the 1.6 patch. Have fun!

Saduj

Arcane
I know that a few weeks ago, the bug where companions run out of ammo and then start trying to fight in melee was still there. Don't see it on the list of fixes.

Would recommend that anyone starting a new game not invest in the ability that grants an extra companion because if this bug kicks in, it is very hard to keep them alive. If not for the bug, having the extra companion is powerful both for the extra firepower and the passive bonuses to the PC that companions can grant.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
This feels like a miracle. I honestly cannot believe they actually delivered a new patch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom