Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interplay selling its IPs

Cynicus

Augur
Interplay has been a shambling corpse for over a decade, so good riddance. I do hate to see the rights to some of those old treasures up for grabs, though. More rape for the rape god!

In Memoriam

Don Peste

Arcane
Nightdive Studios will buy most of them, don't worry.
I wonder if there will be a Interplay Sale today on Steam...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
This is big news. I expect nothing good to come out of this, but I will take a 1% chance for a FreeSpace sequel over what we had until this point.

The hope dies last.

I am genuinely curious if Brian Fargo will try to get any of these IPs, and even moreso whether he succeeds.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
So this is how it ends for the French frog (to all French users here, not meant as an insult to you, just Herve), trying to squeeze out a little more money before disappearing and probably start another game development company (or buy a financial suffering one).

As for Interplay now finally being dead, it was long dead, the corpse was just still a little twitching.

Well Herve, I hope you enjoyed the ride, because the rest of us certainly didn't.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter

Every stick has two ends...

People say Interplay was in bad shape before Caen approached it:M

OvGwNMY.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Kingpin 2 with a couple of different city hubs. With customizable weapons, henchmens and no political corectness with a monocled use of english language and no regenerating health.

Bunch of them were made by crazy people with cool ideas, nothing that can be replicated by modern corporate cucked drones under big publisher's ass, neither indie developers can do better than that.

:negative:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
So what has Harve done with kickstarter money that he got from this?

The people that donated must be so butthurt

pippin

We'd have to clarify which properties were owned by Interplay in terms of distribution only, and in which regions, but it certainly suck that content creators (programmers in this case) will not be able to get their creations back. Give Jim back to Doug Tennapel.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.facebook.com/burgerbecky/posts/10154032229062637

Robert Seidelman Would you be buying back some of your IPs?

Rebecca Heineman If I had money.

---

Charles Battersby Battle Chess, eh?

Rebecca Heineman Yep. And they owe us money. This is going to be interesting.

---

Christopher Robert Adams I mostly wish the folks who created the ip's would get them or at least get money owed but I realize I'm probably more than a bit naive to think that. Maybe a company like THQNordic? They seem to be doing a good job updating ip's like Titan Quest.

Rebecca Heineman In that case, all rights to some of those ips should come to me. They do owe me a lot of money.

Well, Dragon Wars?

Modron

Arcane
Then french dude wanted to make all his IPs into Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance-likes giving us the awesome Fo:BoS and then choose to purchase the rights to publish d&d games on the consoles but not the pc thus killing off, the in development, Baldur's Gate 3 the Blackhound which actually sounded pretty awesome despite being a brainchild of Sawyer (he hadn't caught the balance yet). Those are just two of the biggest sleights to me of Herve's tenure at the reins of Interplay.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom