Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interstellar Marines - For the love of sci-fi

Gondolin

Arcane
I clicked on the link fully expecting it to be shit (I hate the idea of "Space Marines"), but... this actually looks amazing. Definitely going to try the demo.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Everything looks grey, like it's made of concrete, weapons and armor included. Nevertheless, looks great for a indie game, let's hope the gameplay doesn't fall in the hands of popamole, like many other promising games.

FYI: There's kind of a demo you can play online to show you the firing mechanics. You just need the Unity plugin to play it so go ahead and try it.

Baron

Arcane
I'm all for supporting the indie developer... but not one that boldly strives for the absolute middle. If this game was a dish it would be white rice.

-wait. They did one thing differently.... SHARKS IN SPACE! A real loss of marketing potential by not making that the game's title.

Their key selling point (aside from being free of all that AAA money) is immersion, but apart from having to lower a visor over your First Person perspective I didn't see any of that, or the "dynamic augmented environments filled with choices" beyond right corridor or left? Bioshock had immersion... because it had a theme. Diving suits 'n' Drill bits. I hope Intersteller Marines has a theme. It has 27 guns, helpfully indistinguishable.

They're a small team, making a FPS in space, and they're determined to go head to head with the big companies in terms of their total lack of imagination. Boys, this is how it's done...

White Dwarf + Great White Shark = Unrivalled Terror

Multi-headed Cow

I WILL BELIEVE A SPACE MARINE BABY CAN FLY

zeitgeist

Magister
They spent the first minute and a half trying to convince the viewer that the game is worth supporting because it's indie and they are poor people living in a shoebox and such, without any substantial mention of the game itself and why it's worth playing. Then they spent another half a minute describing the most generic sci-fi multiplayer FPS imaginable, and explaining to the audience what a multiplayer FPS is. And that's the entire first half of the video.

I think I'll pass.

Angthoron

Arcane
Gondolin said:
I clicked on the link fully expecting it to be shit (I hate the idea of "Space Marines"), but... this actually looks amazing. Definitely going to try the demo.

Similar thoughts here. Also, what is ED-209 doing there? Not that I mind.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
ULTIMATE IMMERSION IN A GAME SO IMMERSIVE THAT YOU'VE NEVER BEEN IMMERSED BEFORE IN IMMERSION LIKE THIS.

Regardless, I'll keep an eye out for this, I guess.

baronjohn

Cipher
Just goes to show that it doesn't take a multinational corporation to make a generic, boring shooter.

Grey corridors + lots of crates + 20th century tacticool weapons = IMMERSHUN

Baron

Arcane
Thought I'd go back and actually play the demo since I already have the Unity plugin. But they send you to a registration screen BEFORE checking out the game...

No one likes registration. It's chore multiplied by spam. Maybe shooting the shit out of offworld sharks is the bees knees of gaming, then yeah, I'd signed up for weekly updates. But they want my fake email account before I've tasted the product?

Codex praise to the first person to make a fake account and posts the details here. Along with a one word review of the demo.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
This thing has been around for ages now. From what I read and heard about it before these guys are trying to make some mix of a FPS and games like OFP and Terra Nova with a heavy emphasis on trying to portray a realistic SF setting. Could turn into a generic shooter or the next big thing. Personally I'm not too confident.

denizsi

Arcane
For bros by bros:

http://www.bugmenot.com/view.php?url=ww ... arines.com

Ignoring the VERY bland fart direction, I think the demos are very impressive. Frame rate is good, especially for a web demo with this many polygons and shader usage. Basic mechanics (movement, shooting) feels good. Lighting is pretty good and shaders are well done. There are a few near pitch black parts and unlike almost all the SM2.0+ games I've played where you will still see very lit shining surfaces even in unlit areas due to poor use of shaders and using a flash light makes things even shinier, it felt very natural in this game. I can't tell if that was conscious design, though.

Also of similar importance, the game doesn't look like an utter piece of shit in lowest quality settings (*cough*Bethesda*cough*).

Sadly, they are going with that pretentious epic AAA feel like everybody else. And with what: fucking SPEHZ SHARKS! If they were going for a corny 80s B-movie feel, where the SPEHZ SHARKS would fit perfectly, the game might have some appeal but they don't seem to be that smart and self-aware.

zeitgeist said:
They spent the first minute and a half trying to convince the viewer that the game is worth supporting because it's indie and they are poor people living in a shoebox and such, without any substantial mention of the game itself and why it's worth playing. Then they spent another half a minute describing the most generic sci-fi multiplayer FPS imaginable, and explaining to the audience what a multiplayer FPS is. And that's the entire first half of the video.

I think I'll pass.

I agree, things like this really brings out the retardation in people and it's ironic how they mention their indie status. Nonetheless, the more the merrier. More crap Indie games = higher chance for good indie games. Efforts like this ultimately pull the bar lower for people to attempt doing these things.

denizsi

Arcane
Tycn said:
Man has conquered the stars but still shoot each other with EOTech SCAR lookalikes

And how is that a bad thing? I don't see any problem with that.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
I couldn't listen to this moron and his overblown bullshit for more than a minute. So what is their games outstanding feature again, besides being indy (and having a STORY and IMMERSION)?

These guys sure are pretentious as fuck. Over what? Making a generic Space FPS?

Luigi

Barely Literate
denizsi said:
Tycn said:
Man has conquered the stars but still shoot each other with EOTech SCAR lookalikes
And how is that a bad thing? I don't see any problem with that.

Well, you dont see many muskets today.
Its expected of future guns to look different, to evoke the feeling of "scifi".
Sharkdogs are not "realistic scifi" enough for me, Id like fancy guns.

Dont start explaining that space travel was a miracle breakthrough/whatever and everything else (except for bipedal self-sustaining robots) progressed more slowly to stay up to todays standards. Especially the guns.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Robots from Robocop? Fuck that, where is the fucking Battle Armor?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Doesn't look bad. Doesn't look special either, but as long as it's a solid FPS without extremely linear level design and a proper length unlike most mainstream shooters released nowadays, I'll be happy about this.

.Sigurd

Educated
Konjad said:
Looks like all other mediocre FPS games I rarely bother to play.

That's the point. They are aiming for their niche, the people that liked the game and are supporting them at the same time staying solid with their vision and don't giving a fuck for the rest. That is how the industry should work.

Quilty

Magister
Modders will fix it by making it turn-based, surely.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom