Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Interview critical of Bethesda RUBBED OUT

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by Twinfalls, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Twinfalls Erudite

Twinfalls
    Parrots:
    Okay. Once upon a time, the excellent fan-made Elder Scrolls resource site TIL hosted an interview with former Bethesda developer Douglas Goodall. This was an extremely interesting interview for anyone remotely interested in TES.

The interview was one of those very, very rare windows through the wall of PR and happy-speak that comprises dev interviews in gaming nowadays. It was an ex-dev speaking completely honestly of his view of the development background to Morrowind, and its problems. It's the first and only inside-info out there which gives some explanation of why Morrowind sucks so bad.

And now it's gone. Goodall's interviewer, TIL luminary, (and author of the world's worst 'comedy' fanfic) Sinder Velvin, has just mentioned it was 'removed because another ex-dev asked us to do so' (and not due to any pressure from Bethesda it seems).

Which is completely fucked. It must be asked: why was it removed? The man worked on MW, he spoke honestly, it's on the record, it's interesting and useful, it's a part of history. For what reason should a non-profit site like TIL feel any compulsion to remove this item? Why not put up 'the other side' if there is one?

I can only find a fragment of the interview from the Codex forums, and I'll paste it in below. But there was so much more. He was especially honest about his inability to see eye-to-eye with Ken Rolston when it came to story and plot mechanics (ie he explained what a lot of us have come to suspect - Rolston's a complete dill).

^ Top  
  2. Fresh Erudite

Fresh
    Parrots:
    Oh teh drama. :)

^ Top  
  3. Twinfalls Erudite

Twinfalls
    Parrots:
    You shutup and make some pictures in another thread, halfwit. :P

^ Top  
  4. Proweler Scholar

Proweler
    Parrots:
    As Sinder said another ex-dev asked it to be removed. Nothing to do whit Bethesda.

^ Top  
  5. Twinfalls Erudite

Twinfalls
    Parrots:
    Okay, so it wasn't Beth. Question remains: why remove it, simply because another ex-dev asked so?

^ Top  
  6. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  7. Fintilgin Educated

Fintilgin
    Parrots:
    I'd very much like to read the origional interview. Sounds quite interesting.

^ Top  
  8. Fresh Erudite

Fresh
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

^ Top  
  9. Twinfalls Erudite

Twinfalls
    Parrots:
    damn straight nigga

^ Top  
  10. hiciacit Liturgist

hiciacit
    Parrots:
    That was a great interview...not just the stuff about Ken, but also about the Dwemer language. Anyway, I think it was Micheal Kirkbride who asked for the interview to be rmoved. Not sure though.

^ Top  
  11. elander_ Arbiter

elander_
    Parrots:
    Didn't know that that interview has been censored. Douglas Goodall was also known for making the dialog for some of the most interesting characters in Morrowind like Jobasha. Unfortunalty there were some design conflicts between him and Ken Rolston and Doug has decided to leave by his own legs. You see Doug is one of those writers with a style similar to Chris Avelone. He likes to flesh the characters first and then build the story. While KR is all about the story and then the characters. Doug posted in the Lore Forum after the interview and gives some more clues about what hapened. Don't know if the thread is still there but you can try a search around the same time the interview was made.

^ Top  
  12. MrSmileyFaceDude Bethesda Game Studios Developer

MrSmileyFaceDude
    Parrots:
    You should modify your original post and the thread title, Twinfalls. It still makes it sound as though you think Bethesda had something to do with the interview's removal, and people might not read your later post conceding that that is not the case.

^ Top  
  13. Twinfalls Erudite

Twinfalls
    Parrots:
    Done.

^ Top  
  14. Lumpy Arcane

Lumpy
    Parrots:
    Ask Sinder. That ex-DEV didn't ask too nicely for the interview to be removed...

^ Top  
  15. Micmu Magister

Micmu
    Parrots:
    What's with this pussivity!?
    Someone post scanned letter from lawyer's office (a.k.a. empty threat) for our entertainment. :twisted:

^ Top  
  16. obediah Erudite

obediah
    Parrots:
    I can't believe the audacity of Bethesda in doing this! "We can't make a good game, so we'll just keep everyone ignorant". Although after they announced dropping enchanting to focus on adding different hair styles, nothing should surprise me.

^ Top  
  17. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Parrots:
    Speaking of old interviews:

Not anymore, Steve. Shouldn't have exploited the system...

As for that removed interview, can someone grow some balls and tell us the whole story instead of mysterious hints. So, who knows what?

^ Top  
  18. hiciacit Liturgist

hiciacit
    Parrots:
    Short version:

* Ken and Douglas didn't see eye to eye on a lot of design points.
    * Nobody knows (or knew at the time) what really happened in Morrowind. Ken made up several different accounts of the same history, while never specifying the which was true.
    * The Dwemer glyphs in the in-game books could not be translated (I wonder how many people waisted hours and days of their lives trying to decypher them).

That's all I can remember of the top of my head.

^ Top  
  19. Fintilgin Educated

Fintilgin
    Parrots:
    Oh black and terrible interview, thy words have struck terror in the hearts of the ungodly, and verrily they have sought to banish thee! From the depths of Hell I summon thee! Behold ye puny mortals, and know fear! With the secret powers granted to me by the cache and the unholy internet I invoke thee, Interview! Spawn of Cthulu and Satan, come forth! Lo, thou arrivest!

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  20. Fintilgin Educated

Fintilgin
    Parrots:
    Double post from hell, too. :D

^ Top  
  21. obediah Erudite

obediah
    Parrots:
    That interview explains why I think it would have been a terrible mistake for Bethesda to approach Troika to develop their fallout game.

^ Top  
  22. Zomg Arbiter

Zomg
    Parrots:
    I suspect the unstructured approach to the "lore" is what the ex-dev didn't want publically known. It takes the air out of the lore to know you're pushing spaghetti around on a plate rather than assembling cleverly scattered pieces.

^ Top  
  23. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    Parrots:
    The interview didn't take the air out of lore at all for me. If anything, it made me want to jump back into Morrowind after seeing some insight into the creative processes behind the game. It also reminded me how much I enjoyed the 36 Sermons and hated the Vow of Silence quest.

^ Top  
  24. Sinder Velvin Novice

Sinder Velvin
    Parrots:
    I'm flattered. ;)

I really didn't want to talk about this at first, but since MK even made posts on the Storyboard about this, I guess he won't mind if I tell you what happened.

MK asked us to remove the "nasty" bits in the "Bethesda-bashing" interview. He asked nicely and publicly.

I said no.

Then he e-mailed me. He asked nicely once again.

I asked for something in return. And he said no. So I said no too.

One day I woke up and found this message in my PM inbox on the TES forums, which he had sent to all of the librarians:

Then I looked on TIL's forum and found a post by MK in which he asked our visitors to convince us to take the interview down.

Then I looked in my e-mail inbox and found a message from a fellow librarian in which he announced us that he had removed the interview because it was creating more of a "shit storm" than it was worth.

From what I hear, Bethesda devs disliked the interview too.

Had I been the only librarian at TIL, there's a small chance I might have kept the interview. But sorry. I'm just the new guy.

Right now, TIL is in good relations with MK once again. We've forgiven each other. I don't want to argue with MK over this interview again.

^ Top  
  25. obediah Erudite

obediah
    Parrots:
    what a dick. I fucking hate pompous douchebags that can't handle a dose of reality. There was nothing in that interview that a person comfortable with themselves would have even blinked at.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)