Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with Chris Avellone at MemoryLeak

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Chris Avellone; Obsidian Entertainment

Chris Avellone's latest podcast interview is for a site called "MemoryLeak Interviews", which I think is sort of a successor to the now-defunct "The Critical Bit" which we've linked to in the past. He sounds a bit tipsy in this one:

Few people understand the confluence of game systems and narrative like Chris Avellone. Since his start at Interplay in 1995 Chris has been instrumental in the development of many influential RPGs. In this interview Chris and I discuss his recent kickstarter projects, the design process at Obsidian, and the challenges of developing modern RPGs.

The interview is way too all over the place for me to summarize, but I will say that the most interesting parts for me were Chris' descriptions of his work with Brian Fargo (at around 1:35), Brian Mitsoda (at around 38:55) and Feargus Urquhart (at around 45:05). He elegantly avoids saying anything negative about the latter Brian's work on Alpha Protocol. That's our MCA, always tactful.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
291 views and zero replies in the Chris Avellone interview thread.*
4687 views and 76 replies in the Swen Vincke interview thread.

Interesting times have come when it comes to CRPGs.

*If it was Josh Sawyer, we would have at least one guaranteed reply.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
291 views and zero replies in the Chris Avellone interview thread.*
4687 views and 76 replies in the Swen Vincke interview thread.

Interesting times have come when it comes to CRPGs.

*If it was Josh Sawyer, we would have at least one guaranteed reply.

I only posted this last night and it's an hour long podcast with no transcript. From a guy who does interviews like this every two weeks.

jiujitsu

Cipher
Project: Eternity
I listened to the whole thing. The interviewer has some pretty good questions and MCA has some pretty cool answers. It's long, but it was interesting.

Darkion

Augur
I tried listening to it but had to stop as soon as MCA came on. I don't know if Avellone needs a new mic or if he needs to get the one he is using out of his mouth.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
So far it's a good interview. Excellent questions, very engaging.

The stuff about Fargo is true. Fargo has a lot of great ideas about Wasteland 2, as you would expect, and works well with his team(s).

The stuff about what a publisher can bring is also true. No matter what you think about Bethesda, if you are honest, you can't deny that they are great at marketing. Now I know for some here that being great at marketing means being great at 'lying', shrug, whatever. Also true, publishers can frequently bring resources that you wouldn't have access to if you were indie. That can be a big bonus.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
I guess I should listen to this.

I'll be back.

Disappointed. He is not drunk.

Maybe not drunk, but all that breathless laughing into the microphone makes me think he was on the way there.

He uses a headset, which I think is no bueno. We have pro mics with breath guards, we should get him setup.

EDIT: On second thought: Chris is so friendly and accessible that forcing him to go get a pro mic and get it set up just to give an interview would probably just slow him down. I would rather him be more casual and accessible.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
Now I know for some here that being great at marketing means being great at 'lying', shrug, whatever. Also true, publishers can frequently bring resources that you wouldn't have access to if you were indie. That can be a big bonus.
PoE is getting a publisher, read all your damage control here!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Now I know for some here that being great at marketing means being great at 'lying', shrug, whatever. Also true, publishers can frequently bring resources that you wouldn't have access to if you were indie. That can be a big bonus.
PoE is getting a publisher, read all your damage control here!

Psst: http://www.obsidian.net/press/eternity/obsidian-partnership-with-paradox

This is correct. Paradox has ZERO say on the development of PoE. Zero.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The review is actually pretty good. As an MCA fanboy, I am used to his laugh-attacks in interviews, because I have listened to most if not all of them. There is little new info, but little is better than zero.

I especially liked the moment when MCA was asked about Brian Mitsoda's writing and replied that his favourite part of Bloodlines is the haunted hotel, where you do not interact with any characters. Non-intentionally (I think) hilarious. :D

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
The review is actually pretty good. As an MCA fanboy, I am used to his laugh-attacks in interviews, because I have listened to most if not all of them. There is little new info, but little is better than zero.

I especially liked the moment when MCA was asked about Brian Mitsoda's writing and replied that his favourite part of Bloodlines is the haunted hotel, where you do not interact with any characters. Non-intentionally (I think) hilarious. :D

I don't know Chris' and Brian's relationship, but I think you might be imagining a sub-text there. Avellone and I talked at length about Bloodlines after he played it, after all it's one of my favorite games. If there was a list of greatest gameplay moments in history, he and I agree that the hotel sequence should be on the list and near the top.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
I don't know Chris' and Brian's relationship, but I think you might be imagining a sub-text there. Avellone and I talked at length about Bloodlines after he played it, after all it's one of my favorite games. If there was a list of greatest gameplay moments in history, he and I agree that the hotel sequence should be on the list and near the top.
I am not imagining any subtext. It was funny exactly because it was unintentional (I assume).

Paradox is sooo cool, hey brought in these strange and exotic looking plants, one for everyone at work, to take home and put next to our beds for when we go to sleep tonight.

How cool is that?
I think I am missing a reference here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom