Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with Swen Vincke at Gamespot

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Divinity: Original Sin; Larian Studios; Swen Vincke

Ever since it became clear back in early July that Divinity: Original Sin was a huge success, the folks at Larian Studios have mostly kept to themselves. Yesterday, Swen Vincke broke that silence with a short interview over at GameSpot. No, there are no updated sales numbers, but he does have a bit to say about the future of Divinity, and of Larian. Here's an excerpt:

Being PC-exclusive was a good thing

Although some games in the Divinity series have made it onto console in the past, Original Sin was developed exclusively with the PC and Mac in mind. Vicke said the omission of a console release lifted a lot of restrictions in the development phase and allowed the team to make alterations on the game "until the very last moment," which would not have been possible for a console release.

"It puts a lot of constraints for you as a developer if you work for console. At the end phase of a project deadlines are very rigid, and you need to go through the procedures at Microsoft or Sony with the dreaded [certification] checks." Vincke said, adding that the costs involved in making a console game were "much higher" than that of developing a PC-only game.

No more Kickstarter please

Divinity: Original Sin's Kickstarter campaign was met with generous support, amassing $944,282 in funding by the end of its run and allowing Larian Studios to self-publish the game.

Vincke was grateful for the support from the Kickstarter community, but hesitant about utilizing such a model again.

"I hate to think what the game would've been if we didn't have Kickstarter… if you asked me before Original Sin was released I would've said yes… I don't think it would be correct to go and fish in the pool of crowdfunding investment again, I think that there's others that could use that investment," he said. However, he expressed a desire to harness community involvement once again in the development process, dubbing the community which the Kickstarter campaign brought as "invaluable."

"I think that is a very great positive for the gameplay experience that results at the end of the day," he said.

Future updates

Vincke laughs when I ask him about where the Divinity series may be going next, but is coy about revealing finer details. "I can't say. There's nothing yet to announce, it will be very calm on the announcement front for a couple of months, as we're preparing our new things," he said.

His comment refers to the two new companions and new skills on their way to the game and end-game balances for the ranger and warrior classes, of course. In addition to this, Vincke mentions that the studio is working on bringing out a "much better, harder, difficulty level" in which all encounters will be different, as well as fine-tuning the game's inventory management.

Regardless, Vincke promises fans that a breadth of new content is still in the works for Original Sin. "There's definitely a lot of stuff coming," he said.
Larian is now looking into doing a console port of Original Sin. Meh...I guess that's all right. Just be careful you don't end up like CD Projekt almost did.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Link for the original interview?

Probably takes me more time to type this than it would to google it, but I'm feeling particularly nitpicky.

Tramboi

Prophet
Patron
The game needs more than "fine-tuning" the inventory management.
One-click sorting through pressing a button instead of the combo box would be a great first step.
A small "equipped" icon overlaid on said objects in the grid view would be nice too.

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ahhh, I was hoping that by time time I finished Trails, the patch will be up. Looks like I gotta wait longer...

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was hoping they would make an expansion pack/another campaign rather than a console port, but I guess it might be more financially viable to do the port (?). I am happy with whatever gives them funds for that promised Big RPG That Shall Dwarf Them All.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
I was hoping they would make an expansion pack/another campaign rather than a console port, but I guess it might be more financially viable to do the port (?). I am happy with whatever gives them funds for that promised Big RPG That Shall Dwarf Them All.
RPGfrance published the third and last part of their interview with Swen : http://www.rpgfrance.com/dossier-10274-1-interview-avec-swen-vincke-partie-3

- Is a console version possible ?

It’s never been a secret that I think it would be a good idea to make console port if we have the option. But the UI would have to be different. The interface must be adapted to consoles. And saying that, I see no reason why you could not play it on console. It would be pretty easy. The game being turn-based, you can adapt, have fun. And you can play online, super cool.​
- An extension is possible or not?

We're going to do, for sure. Come on, that's for sure, when there's enough sales. In fact, I think we have enough sales to warrant an extension. It's the cool thing with the Early Access. Well, you see that everything that was done in the game, it was done for adventures above.

[From the same interview, Google translation]

Paul_cz

Arcane
Frankly, I hope they make console ports (I want people to give them money no matter the platform), but even more than that, I hope they will bring the TV interface + controller support to PC version.
And maybe adapt the interface to suit plasmas (being transparent etc). I would love to be able to play DOS on my TV on PC.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Larian is now looking into doing a console port of Original Sin. Meh...I guess that's all right.

Hi Larian, about those once-promised NPC schedules and the day&night cycle...

I agree somewhat, but the game did not actually need it (nor did I miss it).

But for the Big RPG That Shall Dwarf Them All it better fucking have it.....

And where the hell is my Isle Of Serpents Expansion....? :M

Thane Solus

Arcane
all great, but while i understand them they want some jew money, they have no reason to go on consoles, the players they make games for, are not there, only a smart percentage, the rest will want a dumb down Diablo III.

Once you go on consoles, its hard to turn back, the retarded limitation on design and development it doesn't worth it. More over, the one awesome button console mentality may take you over and you become the next Molyneux...

I really dont understand some developers, yes they are some money in those shity consoles, but overall its not worth it, unless you are shitty gamer/designer which is not the case. I wish them well, but they should stay away from it, they will looose a lot of money from what they earned now...

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Once you go on consoles, its hard to turn back, the retarded limitation on design and development it doesn't worth it. More over, the one awesome button console mentality may take you over and you become the next Molyneux...

So basically you didn't even read what he said?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Uhh... no kickstarter? That's the dumbest thing he could have said.

Kickstarter was largely responsible for D:OS's success. It contributed a lot more than just money.
He actually says the non-monetary contributions were a huge help and wants to figure out how to continue that.

I suspect he'll go back to ks though because why give up sales at 10% cost vs 30% on online stores.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Larian is now looking into doing a console port of Original Sin. Meh...I guess that's all right.

Hi Larian, about those once-promised NPC schedules and the day&night cycle...
They didn't meet the stretch goal. Swen said he would add them in as a favor despite that fact. They were able to put in a weather system, which is 1/3 of a stretch goal that was not met.

:Flash:

Arcane

Kickstarter was largely responsible for D:OS's success. It contributed a lot more than just money.
He actually says the non-monetary contributions were a huge help and wants to figure out how to continue that.

I suspect he'll go back to ks though because why give up sales at 10% cost vs 30% on online stores.
10% is Kickstarter alone, the question is, how much do Steam and GOG take if you hand out keys?
If it was a lot less than 30%, developers could just start selling keys in their online stores.

Black

Arcane
Gamespot can't even decide if it's Vincke or Vicke.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
10% is Kickstarter alone, the question is, how much do Steam and GOG take if you hand out keys?
If it was a lot less than 30%, developers could just start selling keys in their online stores.

They actually take 0%. But you're probably not allowed to sell them.

Cadmus

Arcane

Read what he said. He worded it so that he's grateful for the kickstarter and feels like it would be taking an advantage of it since they now have enough money.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Gamespot can't even decide if it's Vincke or Vicke.
If you listen to the guy, a sane person would guess he's not a Belgian of German ancestry, which Vicke sounds like it may be. From intuition Vicke also sounds English, but he's clearly not English. That leaves French and Flemish Dutch (in terms of the major Belgian ethnic groups). Vincke nor Vicke would probably not be a French surname. Which leaves Dutch. Where Vincke would fit, by my intuition.

It's really just process of elimination (with lots of guesswork). Swen doesn't sound or act German. Vicke nor Vincke sound French. That leaves Dutch, which Vincke reminds me more-so of Dutch than Vicke.

All of this is based on spelling, btw. I'm sure there are alternate spellings of "Vincke" that are common in other ethnic groups. My guesses would be "Vicke" in England, "Vikke" in Scandinavia.. never heard of any similar names in "mainland" Germany.

And of course this disregards intermarrying and what not. But seriously. If you're going to make a simplistic guess a la Occam's Razor, if you listen to Swen for 2 minutes the best guess is Vincke, not Vicke.

---

Now I just realize that the first name of "Swen" already clearly shows to be non-German. German variation would be "Sven," which actually would be rare and more common in Scandinavia.

And I am a Kwanzanian who knows like 0.01% of these languages. 99% of this is completely off the top of my head. But it's clear if you fucking read anything outside of the little Kwan bubble that you can pick up these patterns. Not at all praising myself. This should be common though process for anybody.

Fucking Kwanzanians.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Vincke is an old noble family out of Westphalia in Germany.

The name comes from the word Fink - a class of birds.

(There's even a Vincke Watchtower in my neigborhood)

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

They actually take 0%. But you're probably not allowed to sell them.

Err, as far as I know, you can do whatever you want. As in, if you buy a Steam key on Amazon, Valve doesn't see any money out of that sale. So it's perfectly possible for a developer to sell keys in their own Store without giving Valve a cut. I assume that's how the Larian Store works, for example.

Anyway, that's what I heard, and this seems to support the idea. I guess we could always ask Vault Dweller what his agreement with Steam forbids and allows.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom