Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Interview with Swen Vincke at Gamespot

Turjan

Arcane
I can read Dutch, because I can speak a bit "Westfälisches Platt" which is close to lower-saxon. This and English helps a lot to understand Dutch a bit.
It's a bit sad that Low German will disappear soon. My father and my mom's mother still spoke it, but nobody of the new generations. That's the blessings of standardized schools. "Don't speak like a peasant!"

Turjan

Arcane
Bu geit ink dat vanoabend, min noaber?
As I said, my father and my grandma spoke it. They could speak about things without anyone else in the family understanding them. So I'm not even sure about this. "How's it going tonight, my neighbor" maybe?

Amasius

Augur
It's a bit sad that Low German will disappear soon. My father and my mom's mother still spoke it, but nobody of the new generations. That's the blessings of standardized schools. "Don't speak like a peasant!"
Same for me, it's a shame, really.
Bu geit ink dat vanoabend, min noaber?
I'm Emsländer, this would sound here like this:
Wie geiht di datt vernabend, min naober?

Turjan

Arcane
Wie geiht di datt vernabend, min naober?
That's actually closer to what my family spoke. While I'm born in Dortmund, where Plattduetsch is sometimes spoken in the outskirts, my family is from Pomorania (father's side) and Danzig (mother's side). We have a typically Westphalian name though.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
di (with a long i) can be used (="dir"), too.

Instead of "Bu" you can say "Wu" (= Wie), too. (In fact it's a sound in between the two)

/End of cross-topic :)

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
Fact of the matter is, Dutch is a glorified German dialect protected from German standardization by country borders. One benefit of the loss of the language continuum across the border will be that I'll more than grudgingly accept its historical fluke of a status as an independent language.
Anyway, I'm from the other end of West Germanic. All I'll say is that we wouldn't say "my" at all in that particular case.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Which is why it's annoying that you cannot include Netherlands as part of Germany when you form it in Vicky2.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom