Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Introducing Titan Outpost

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
Hello everyone!

I'm building an RPG called Titan Outpost.

You manage a mining outpost in Saturn’s sixth moon Titan.

You manage a base on Titan, Saturn’s 6th moon. The initial mission is to mine hydrocarbons there. The gameplay mechanics revolve largely around this logistical element. It’s sort of a cross between Fallout, the original Dune adventure game, the strategic layer of X-Com and AoD as a recent inspiration with some survivalism thrown in.

It doesn’t have combat in the traditional RPG sense, but it is still quite heavy on mechanics. My dialogue trees are huge and it plays like an AoD talker playthrough with sim elements driven by the character system. The logistical part and trying to manage a mining enterprise on your own while using the skillset of your character provides most of the other main gameplay element. Your biggest enemy is Titan itself.

I will be posting regular updates on the progress of the game here, once every two weeks at first, and I will need beta testers in a couple of months time so I hope some of you will be keen on that.

Here are two screenshots to give you an idea. These are already on the website. I'll post more soon. Hope you like it!

Screenshotlacus1-1000x513.png
Screenshotbase-1000x560.png

Last edited by a moderator:

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
It's weird that you have a subforum but not a devtag.

I've been working on this full time for quite some time in complete silence and I wanted to open my work up to public scrutiny and more importantly, see if I could get some people on board with this. I've got plenty of ideas on design, but I'm building this on my own and I need some input every now and then. What better place for that than the Codex?

it plays like an AoD talker playthrough

oh

Well, good luck in any case

Thanks.

I should have worded that the other way around. I myself like playing AoD as a talker, but Titan Outpost's primary mechanic early on is resource gathering, survival and exploration, not talking and scheming. Although you can talk your way out of missing a shipment or double-cross people if your charisma and negotiation is high enough.

For example, one of the early quests involves getting the first few tons of methane into orbit.

You will need to explore suitable locations for harvesting liquid methane and set up a hydropump, a tank and a drone to ferry it to and from your base where it can be put on the space elevator.
- The exploration and logistics skills determine the ease of finding suitable locations and gathering rate respectively. You can also improve this by researching new technology, as the game features a tech tree (science skill) and a construction queue (construction skill, executed by a 3d printing robot which will be your primary companion.)
-If something breaks down, your character can fix it if the construction skill is high enough. Otherwise you will have to spend hard earned cash, build new equipment from raw materials or talk your way into getting an independent contractor in the game to do things for you.
- Alternatively, you can ignore this mission and start working as an independent agent or join the Chinese faction in the game.
Your employer will screw you over big time if you're not careful.

I'll have a more in-depth explanation of the mechanics soon.

PS It doesn't have lorecrafting ;)

Last edited:

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
7DWJMks.png
<- whats this?

If Fallout is 1950s retro sci-fi, this is 1970s retro sci-fi. Not as strict, there are plenty of modern elements and another faction is more like us, but the colors, clothing, trends and a lot of the concepts are from 1970's sci-fi. It even plays into the oil crisis. There are many examples as it was a prolific decade for the genre, but think Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Not the best film, but I like the look. Coincidentally, the game starts in 2077.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
looks very interesting,how far into development are you?

Hard to tell right now. Anywere between a third of the way and halfway through. I've got most of the systems in place and about ten locations ready. Sometimes I move through my to-do list very quickly and make major leaps, sometimes I get stuck on something for days on end. I'm doing everything on my own and I've been at this full-time for about half year now, with a lot of pre-production, design and writing done in years prior. I was initially aiming for the end of this year, but that was too ambitious. Definitely sometime next year, though, probably the first quarter.

Viata

Arcane
I like what I see, man.
Since you mentioned the Dune game, are you taking inspiration in any sci-fi book?
Btw, on technical part, what engine are you using?

That is pt-br slang for penis or something great.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Hard Sci-Fi RPGs are rarely made. Followed.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
I like what I see, man.
Since you mentioned the Dune game, are you taking inspiration in any sci-fi book?
Btw, on technical part, what engine are you using?

Thanks! I'll explain Pica in the first update ;)

Plenty of influences, but not one in particular. Arthur C. Clarke's Imperial Earth comes to mind, a lot of Philip K. Dick, Heinlein...so many. I even pulled some stuff from Jules Verne. Dune's primary influence would be that there is a celestial body with a resource that people covet. Some political scheming might be Herbert-esque come to think of it, as society has coalesced into oligarchies similar to Dune's Great Houses, but that was not intentional. As far as movies go, Silent Running, Logan's Run, Moon, Omega Man, Star Trek: TMP, Damnation Alley -The rover was inspired by the Landmaster- and a lot more.

I'm using Unity, ever since version 5 it's been an incredibly powerful tool as long as you know your C#.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
- Alternatively, you can ignore this mission and start working as an independent agent or join the Chinese faction in the game.
Will definitely betray my white capitalist scum of an employer to the glorious Chairman Mao the 4th 10/10 :bounce::incline::bounce:

Aqualung

Dead duck
Patron
Insert Title Here
I'd rate this whole subforum :huygenian:. Followed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom