Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News inXile admit that Torment stretch goal content has been cut, including companions

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wasn't it pitched like that from the beginning? I thought they called fights "crises" to highlight the fact that combat only takes place as specific scenarios and that there is no "freeform" murdering.

Yes, I'm not saying it's a bad thing, only that it sounds like something that should make development considerably simpler compared to Wasteland 2 or PoE.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let's do a fundraiser for a Voluptous Codex Calender instead.

Manboobs or non-manboobs, doesn't matter, just channel the funds to real indie devs.

almondblight

Arcane
For the Codex, the uncomfortable part is that it's probably mainly ksaun's fault. (not for being a dick and hiding them, but for the cuts being necessary in the first place)

Not sure why you think that. Production was delayed by a year and a half because of Wastleland 2 delays. Saunders was let go less than a year into production, to be replaced by someone who said they were going to handle the "final stages" of production. Final stages after less than a year in production.

Adam Heine was also talking about problems that came from cuts happening even before Saunders left (so just a few months into production).

The whole thing feels like Fargo delaying the production because of Wasteland 2, and then trying to rush out the final product because he was still expecting the same release timeframe. The whole "This is a separate project not connected to the development of our other KS" line was always BS, and this seems to be a good example of why.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Saunders was let go about a year (seems to be less than a year) into the official production

We don't know what they were doing before that. He was in charge of the game for years, including the Kickstarter and all of those stretch goals. I've been told that he ran Torment like his own private fiefdom within inXile and Fargo had minimal involvement. The buck stops somewhere, and I don't think they fired him just because they're evil.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Wow.

I was never going to donate to Bard's Tale 4 anyway (I have no interest in dungeon crawlers), but my decision not to back Wasteland 3 is looking even more prescient now. inXile can't deliver on their promises even with the most successful RPG Kickstarter in history, Wasteland 2 sales, promised console versions and a publisher.

Korron

Cipher
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Not apologizing for the cuts, and there is something to be said for not delivering on promises, but I ultimately care about the final product. They got me on the hook for Torment, but I stopped backing InXile projects to adopt a wait and see approach after WL2 was meh.

almondblight

Arcane
I've been told

By people still working at InXile?

Despite rumors about Saunders coming from mysterious sources, we know for a fact that InXile delayed the game for 1.5 to 2 years because of another game (something that wasn't supposed to happen), we know that they brought in someone who thought the game was supposed to be in the final stages of production after less than a year of development, and we know that they decided to drop a bunch of stretch goals without telling backers.

It's possible that Saunders messed some stuff up, and possible he did a great job and was screwed over. We don't know one way or the other right now. But we can say for certain that non-Saunders InXile management messed up a lot of stuff, so it seems likely that there were a lot of other things they did that we just don't know about.

Weasel
Reading through Fairfax's list just reminds one how carried away they got with some of those stretch goals. It all starts to blend into a mélange of pocket planes, portals and new areas and features, all to be packed with reactivity. It was the height of KS mania of course, but I guess it just shows how even supposed veterans of the industry can get carried away like novices and misjudge what it would take to implement all that.

Not making excuses for them though, the whole thing reeks of mismanagement, right down to their recent communication strategy.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I've been told

By people still working at InXile?

Despite rumors about Saunders coming from mysterious sources, we know for a fact that InXile delayed the game for 1.5 to 2 years because of another game (something that wasn't supposed to happen), we know that they brought in someone who thought the game was supposed to be in the final stages of production after less than a year of development, and we know that they decided to drop a bunch of stretch goals without telling backers.

It's possible that Saunders messed some stuff up, and possible he did a great job and was screwed over. We don't know one way or the other right now. But we can say for certain that non-Saunders InXile management messed up a lot of stuff, so it seems likely that there were a lot of other things they did that we just don't know about.

Sure, there could be any number of reasons for Torment's development going awry. For example, the simple fact that key members of the development team don't work in the same building. Creative Lead in Detroid, Design Lead in Thailand. That's unusual to say the least.

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That's some serious decline. Still, from what I've seen from the game, it turned out to be quite decent. Good, even. And development problems are usual thing for RPGs. PST itself is clearly a flawed gem, but it shines so bright that its flaws are easily forgiven.

Matkina wasn't cut, so its okay :)

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Shame - I was really looking forward to this game. Even it turns out to be good I'll be wondering how much better it might have been if a lot of the contents and stretch goals hadn't been cut. Opening my Twoment collectors box is going to be bittersweet.

I was going to say it had put me off kickstarters, and then I remembered I had the PoE2 figstarter loaded in another tab. :oops: At least I'm pledging sensible amounts of money this time.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
I've been told...

Information that you have no way of verifying by people who've shown in recent months that they're certainly not above lying/distorting the truth/omitting crucial information to cover their own ass. Two sides to most ex employee-employer stories, shouldn't be so quick to take mobile developers turned nostalgia peddlers' word over someone like Kevin Saunders.

Prime Junta

Sure, there could be any number of reasons for Torment's development going awry. For example, the simple fact that key members of the development team don't work in the same building. Creative Lead in Detroid, Design Lead in Thailand. That's unusual to say the least.

I currently work in a team where one of us is in a +9 hours timezone. We get by but it's way to easy to accidentally leave him out of the loop because he can't participate in daily scrums and such. I would expect the design lead's job has got to be pretty hands-on. You'd have to be pretty creative with practices to work around a comparable timezone situation.

But... they knew all that going in. Or were they really so inept they didn't realise that a non-collocated team isn't the same as a collocated one?

Fairfax

Arcane
Saunders was let go about a year (seems to be less than a year) into the official production

We don't know what they were doing before that. He was in charge of the game for years, including the Kickstarter and all of those stretch goals. I've been told that he ran Torment like his own private fiefdom within inXile and Fargo had minimal involvement. The buck stops somewhere, and I don't think inXile fired him just because they're evil.
Most of the time he was in charge was pre-production, thanks to the whole WL2 DC thing, and that obviously wasn't his call. Even if he ran his "private fiefdom" (which is good), they fired him too early for you to assume it's his fault.

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
I think there could be a directors cut version of torment on the way. Nevertheless this cuts are bad business!
I hope there will be some serious explanations or else I am pretty sure they will loose some of their fanbase.
"Blacklisting" the codex makes sense now (They fear the monster that they deserve).

Sprout

Educated
I've been told...

Information that you have no way of verifying by people who've shown in recent months that they're certainly not above lying/distorting the truth/omitting crucial information to cover their own ass. Two sides to most ex employee-employer stories, shouldn't be so quick to take mobile developers turned nostalgia peddlers' word over someone like Kevin Saunders.
Wasn't aware Saunders had commented on this issue.

they fired him too early for you to assume it's his fault.
I think the point was that we don't know, you think it's InXile.

Severian Silk

The thought that they might've diverted funds/time away from making 'the best computer gaming experience possible' and towards making it a multi-platform title at launch.
PlayStation is a type of computer. Derp.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter

Septaryeth

Augur
I think there could be a directors cut version of torment on the way. Nevertheless this cuts are bad business!
I hope there will be some serious explanations or else I am pretty sure they will loose some of their fanbase.
"Blacklisting" the codex makes sense now (They fear the monster that they deserve).

While Director's Cut seems like an easy solution for many issues, how are they going to spin this?
The game is already on all the platforms except for mobile and tablets. It was developed for four years. And InXile still needs to make of BT4 and WL3.

They have no credibility left. Their fame from the past was the only thing that they got and they threw it all away.

It will be naive to believe the codex is the only one feeling pissed right now.
I personally don't want the game to be bad or that InXile is out of business, but anyone with a brain can tell they are not doing well right now.
Sure, they will try to milk TTON and hope it'll be the next big hit, but it won't. The PC audiences have already lost all the hype and the console crowds don't care.
After that, well, there is nothing on the plate is it? And everything else seems miles away. Maybe another crowdfunding? Yeah as if the run for WL3 is successful to begin with.

Better ask for a refund if you backed WL3 or BT4, it's possible InXile will not deliver either of these titles.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom