Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Inxile forces One-Man Studio to Change the Name of their game

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
The irony is that Fargo, that guy that got funded by bad mouthing publishers, is acting in the very same way of the crooks he criticized. The more I think about Fargo’s interviews and his personality, the more he sounds egocentric. It must be impossible to work with him. Probably a ton of stupid decisions in W2 were imposed by him.

Oh, bullshit. He pitched his games with humourous videos showing big publishers not taking a risk on games nobody thought would sell any more, not acting like a god-damn hippy giving away all his possessions because money is wrong. He's a businessman - nobody ever suggested otherwise.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The irony is that Fargo, that guy that got funded by bad mouthing publishers, is acting in the very same way of the crooks he criticized. The more I think about Fargo’s interviews and his personality, the more he sounds egocentric. It must be impossible to work with him. Probably a ton of stupid decisions in W2 were imposed by him.

Oh, bullshit. He pitched his games with humourous videos showing big publishers not taking a risk on games nobody thought would sell any more, not acting like a god-damn hippy giving away all his possessions because money is wrong. He's a businessman - nobody ever suggested otherwise.

W2 shows he is a clueless about game design as the publishers he criticized. Being a businessman doesn’t give him an excuse to act like a bully with delusions of grandeur. Do you think that any cRPG player would confound his game with a shooter about aliens that nobody heard before? Of course not. If anything, he should be happy that games from more popular genres have some similar titles, no matter how obscure they are. On the worst scenario is free press. "Wasteland" is not "Coke".

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
TSR was considered litigious in its time, but as far I know it never issued legal threats to FTL over Dungeon Master, and likewise never bothered with the many other videogames using dungeon or dragon in the title. Not to mention other words relating to D&D concepts, such as bard.

Mustawd

Seeing that they are currently out of business, it's not the best example to use...:M

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yes, if only TSR had litigated CRPGs out of existence on the grounds they derive from D&D mechanics, TSR wouldn't have lost a large part of its audience to computers and consoles and might still be in business. +M

Mustawd

Mexi with his "I'm not really as big of an rpg nerd as you all are. I barely ever post here!" posts.

I seriously dunno why you do this. It's not like it hurts anyone's feelings or whatever. I post a lot because I take a lot of breaks from work during the day or from the train during my morning or afternoon commute.

Anyways, back to the topic...I find it amusing that we're all up in arms over a crappy indie fps no one gives a shit about. I might care if it was a dev of a game I cared about. Even then..

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
You should look into why TSR actually went out of business.... :M
Aside from competition from computer & console RPGs, TSR also lost a large part of its audience to that Magic the Gathering collectible card game fad. And cannibalized its own audience by releasing too many settings. And published an ever-larger amount of D&D-based fiction of ever-lower quality. And probably a few other dumb business decisions I don't recall at the moment. Hence my remark that TSR might still be in business.

Although if TSR in 1997 had been able to demand royalties for past sales of unlicensed CRPGs, it could likely have averted bankruptcy on royalties from Squaresoft alone.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
You should look into why TSR actually went out of business.... :M
Aside from competition from computer & console RPGs, TSR also lost a large part of its audience to that Magic the Gathering collectible card game fad. And cannibalized its own audience by releasing too many settings. And published an ever-larger amount of D&D-based fiction of ever-lower quality. And probably a few other dumb business decisions I don't recall at the moment. Hence my remark that TSR might still be in business.

Although if TSR in 1997 had been able to demand royalties for past sales of unlicensed CRPGs, it could likely have averted bankruptcy on royalties from Squaresoft alone.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ian-on-ssi-tsr-and-the-gold-box-games.107338/

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Difference between this and "Scrolls" & "Saga" - those were only using part of the title.

Kaivokz

Arcane
Difference between this and "Scrolls" & "Saga" - those were only using part of the title.
That's because the title of wasteland is a single common word. If "Scrolls" had been made first, and then "The Elder Scrolls" came along later, it would be just as ridiculous. Same for any common word -- naming a game "Tome" shouldn't mean other people can't name their game "The Lost Tome of Ebekeneezer" or "The Ancient Tome" or something. If that's what trademark law entails, it's retarded.

edit- it's like if a burger joint named itself "Burger" and then went after Burger King, Good Burger, Mr Burger, Burger Love, and whatever else people name their restaurants, for trademark infringement.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let's just wait for the first company that manages to copyright the use of the word "of" or "the".
Why the fuck not anyway? Just some more money and a couple of legal loops here and there. If you get past this shit...profit.
It's only for gaming anyway

JasonNH

Augur
I wonder if Swen's trolling was intended. :lol:

2vb5s2x.jpg

Orma

Arcane
Patron
Torment: Tides of Numenera
That's because the title of wasteland is a single common word. If "Scrolls" had been made first, and then "The Elder Scrolls" came along later, it would be just as ridiculous. Same for any common word -- naming a game "Tome" shouldn't mean other people can't name their game "The Lost Tome of Ebekeneezer" or "The Ancient Tome" or something. If that's what trademark law entails, it's retarded.

edit- it's like if a burger joint named itself "Burger" and then went after Burger King, Good Burger, Mr Burger, Burger Love, and whatever else people name their restaurants, for trademark infringement.

Capitalism is retarded news at 11

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
No. People are stupid no matter which 'ism' they follow. As for this aprticular issue, fargo, and his cronies are being absolutely retartet over this. PATHETIC NAZIS ARE PATHETIC NAZIS.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom