Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

inXile General Discussion Thread

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Ziets being part of the possible W3 team might raise some stakes for that game a bit. Even if he might make an awkward cosplay act in the pitch video.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, I also mean W3.

Can't wait for Fargo to tell us again about evil publishers all while doing business with one.
You can't just look at publishers in general and say that everyone of them is evil. A publisher giving you some monetary and distribution help, meanwhile not telling you how to develop your game is a welcome partner. It is why Obsidian and Inxile teamed up with them. Neither Paradox, nor Techland told them to do anything about the game, but they helped them in distribution. And since these software developer companies are not in the distributor business, they welcomed the help.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Fargo won't play the evil publisher card again. He probably will say that they have the money to make a pretty good game, but every bit of help can make the game bigger and better. Just like what Larian said.

Rev

Arcane
No, I mean already preparing for a Wasteland 3 Figstarter or whatever. I wonder if they end up doing it ahead of Torment's release.
They already look like frauds as it is, if they were to launch another crowdfunding campaign without delivering at least Torment nothing would prevent them from being seen as scam artists in the eyes of everyone but their most passionate fanboys.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Yes, I also mean W3.

Can't wait for Fargo to tell us again about evil publishers all while doing business with one.
You can't just look at publishers in general and say that everyone of them is evil. A publisher giving you some monetary and distribution help, meanwhile not telling you how to develop your game is a welcome partner. It is why Obsidian and Inxile teamed up with them. Neither Paradox, nor Techland told them to do anything about the game, but they helped them in distribution. And since these software developer companies are not in the distributor business, they welcomed the help.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Fargo won't play the evil publisher card again. He probably will say that they have the money to make a pretty good game, but every bit of help can make the game bigger and better. Just like what Larian said.

So, Techland not only funded the console development completely they also have no input on the game whatsoever. Must be the best publisher in history. Hell, I suspect they don't even want back the money they invested, let alone a profit, that's how good they are.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yes, I also mean W3.

So, Techland not only funded the console development completely they also have no input on the game whatsoever. Must be the best publisher in history. Hell, I suspect they don't even want back the money they invested, let alone a profit, that's how good they are.
Don't be silly. Of course they want their investment back. But Fargo certainly didn't strike a deal where Techland have a say in game development. And in the end it is more money to Inxile with the sales of the console version.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
A bit of rain in the winter. A bit of fire in the summer and fall. The only true constant is the traffic. :/

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've always enjoyed Joshtweets about the occasional rain.

Fairfax

Arcane
2:26
There's one thing that's meshing everyone here together and it's community and how important...that(sic), but how do you tap into these old communities of people who may not have played the game for 20 years but are still loving what that game once represented?
By bullying those communities and threatening to sue their members over trivial matters? :M

And the response was telling. "The more interesting question is how do you stay true to that audience while still appealing to an audience of today too."

edit:

:lol:

Basically: "how can you scam old school players into giving you money to make a game for today's audience?"
Credit where credit is due. He has already succeeded in that regard.

Weasel
Poor old George. Usually he manages to hide out at the back of inXile photoshoots, looking miserable

i0uRRTD.jpg

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Outtake from the Wasteland 3 pitch video?

If it is, that means Colin is staying on at inXile after Torment.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
inXile to sell 3D models from their games, starting from Wasteland 2: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/281719/inXile_Entertainment_Announces_Partnership_with TurboSquid.php

inXile Entertainment Announces Partnership with TurboSquid

New Orleans, Louisiana, Sept. 20, 2016 -- inXile Entertainment announced a deal today to distribute 3D models from their game catalog exclusively on TurboSquid’s world-leading 3D marketplace. inXile, founded by game industry legend Brian Fargo, is the creator of PC video games including Wasteland 2, Torment, and the Bard’s Tale series.

inXile 3D models from previously released and upcoming titles will be available for purchase on TurboSquid’s marketplace. The move will make production-tested, AAA models available to professional, indie, and hobbyist game developers. inXile CEO Brian Fargo said, “We’re huge believers in stock 3D, and making our own studio’s labor intensive creations available will benefit the indie game dev community as they evolve and drive our industry forward.”

TurboSquid will begin by processing and publishing content from inXile’s recent release Wasteland 2. The models will be made available in common 3D and game engine formats. Fargo added, “3D models for AAA titles are often built and used for only a single title. It made sense to create additional value out of our existing content by opening it up to other developers.”

Matt Wisdom, TurboSquid CEO, envisions this becoming common practice for many game studios. “Studios are often sitting on thousands of 3D models that were incredibly expensive to produce. Selling the content helps offset the rising costs of development for the studio, and it allows developers around the world to access amazing, consistent, game-ready models.”

TurboSquid and inXile expect content to start going online this year, and all models will be available with a standard royalty-free license.

Well, while I'm not sure the models from Wasteland 2 are desirable, it's a nice move from them.

http://blog.turbosquid.com/2016/09/20/inxile-entertainment-announces-partnership-turbosquid/

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
inXile 3D models from previously released and upcoming titles will be available for purchase on TurboSquid’s marketplace. The move will make production-tested, AAA models available to professional, indie, and hobbyist game developers.

At least we have confirmation that WL2 and Torment are triple-A titles now.

inXile to sell 3D models from their games, starting from Wasteland 2: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/281719/inXile_Entertainment_Announces_Partnership_with TurboSquid.php

inXile Entertainment Announces Partnership with TurboSquid

New Orleans, Louisiana, Sept. 20, 2016 -- inXile Entertainment announced a deal today to distribute 3D models from their game catalog exclusively on TurboSquid’s world-leading 3D marketplace. inXile, founded by game industry legend Brian Fargo, is the creator of PC video games including Wasteland 2, Torment, and the Bard’s Tale series.

inXile 3D models from previously released and upcoming titles will be available for purchase on TurboSquid’s marketplace. The move will make production-tested, AAA models available to professional, indie, and hobbyist game developers. inXile CEO Brian Fargo said, “We’re huge believers in stock 3D, and making our own studio’s labor intensive creations available will benefit the indie game dev community as they evolve and drive our industry forward.”

TurboSquid will begin by processing and publishing content from inXile’s recent release Wasteland 2. The models will be made available in common 3D and game engine formats. Fargo added, “3D models for AAA titles are often built and used for only a single title. It made sense to create additional value out of our existing content by opening it up to other developers.”

Matt Wisdom, TurboSquid CEO, envisions this becoming common practice for many game studios. “Studios are often sitting on thousands of 3D models that were incredibly expensive to produce. Selling the content helps offset the rising costs of development for the studio, and it allows developers around the world to access amazing, consistent, game-ready models.”

TurboSquid and inXile expect content to start going online this year, and all models will be available with a standard royalty-free license.

Well, while I'm not sure the models from Wasteland 2 are desirable, it's a nice move from them.

http://blog.turbosquid.com/2016/09/20/inxile-entertainment-announces-partnership-turbosquid/

Smart movie for the medium sized studio. Their models can be good enough to be desirable for some upstarters, so they can sell it.(although this is more true for BT and Torment than Wasteland) Extracting those models from the game should not take more time than a few days and after a few years and a few games they can actually get some money. This move will also get them some publicity.
Strangely it makes me less worried about the Torment console release.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
The move will make production-tested, AAA models available to professional, indie, and hobbyist game developers.

I overlooked this the first time, but is it normal to draw a distinction between "professional" and "indie"?

DosBuster

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Codex USB, 2014
The move will make production-tested, AAA models available to professional, indie, and hobbyist game developers.

I overlooked this the first time, but is it normal to draw a distinction between "professional" and "indie"?

I'm guessing professional means someone who is payed via salary whereas indie refers to someone who is only paid in direct profits.

Fry

Arcane
"sear" in the inXile forums is Chris Keenan, right?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom