Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Game News inXile's Torment successor has a name, Mark Morgan hired to compose

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: Brian Fargo; InXile Entertainment; Mark Morgan; Torment: Tides of Numenera

A tweet from Brian Fargo today revealed that game music maestro Mark Morgan will be composing the music for inXile's Torment successor:

Fantastic Torment news.. Mark Morgan has agreed to provide the music to set the mood for us.​

Mark is already doing the music for Wasteland 2, so this was hardly unexpected. However, several minutes after that tweet was sent out, an update on the official Torment Facebook page revealed that:

And on the GREAT news front.... Mark Morgan has agreed to compose the soundtrack for our new game. Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Is that the official name of the game? Rather offhanded way to reveal it, but there you go.

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The Facebook page's "About" section also has the new name. I wonder how long it's been up there without anybody noticing?

^ Top  
  3. MuscleSpark Savant Patron

MuscleSpark
    What's wrong with Numenera: Torment?

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  4. mbpopolano24 Arbiter

mbpopolano24
    Great game ever. It will be. Ever.

^ Top  
  5. jewboy Savant

jewboy
    I was hoping that they weren't really planning on using the name 'Torment'. May be good for marketing, but it seems to lack creativity. Oh well. It's just a name. Good, albeit unsurprising, news about Mark Morgan.

^ Top  
  6. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    So they buy the rights to Torment™ but you didn't want them to use it? Oh ok. :roll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Codex USB, 2014
    Slapping Torment on the box will increase KS pledges by a fuck-ton, so I'm glad they're using it.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Gozma Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Gozma
    Fargo has got that old school producer instinct to find any trough of money and to jam that shit in your mouth as fast as you can before the train explodes (the train is shipping troughs)

(the train is CRPG nostalgia kickstarters)

^ Top  
  9. ~RAGING BONER~ Learned

~RAGING BONER~
    I hope Kickstarter ejaculates money all over his face and chest...

^ Top  
  10. tuluse Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

tuluse
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I really hope Wasteland 2 and Torment 2 are good. :oops:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    I think it's a good move to define Torment as the main brand so that it won't be permanently tied to another system a second time. "Torment: subtitle" format sounds more confident and independent than the other way around.

Except, "Tides of Numenera" is kind of a shitty name.

^ Top  
  12. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    No matter how they try that teenage rebellion shit, they never could get out of their nurture.

Numenera indeed? you could see it as a corruption/derivative from Númenor ... Tolkien will rule you all, and in the dark of the soul bind you.

^ Top  
  13. Wise Emperor Cipher

Wise Emperor
    It's just a name, short enough, not pathetic, not idiotic.

As for the music, too bad Aphex Twin didn't released new album for some time :troll:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. General Maxson Arcane

General Maxson
  15. RK47 collides like two planets pulled by gravity Patron

RK47
    Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
    ohmygod.

^ Top  
  16. hiver Guest

hiver
    Yup, not to happy about that, but at least it fits the concept of the setting.
    Numenor was destroyed and remnants of its people and technology are a significant feature of Middle Earth setting and Lord of the Rings story.

Yes, Lord of the Rings was a post-apocalyptic story set in a post-apocalyptic setting. You heard it here first, folks.

^ Top  
  17. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
  18. Cosmo Arcane

Cosmo
    Project: Eternity
    The latin word "numen" designates sacred powers like those wielded by the gods, or even magic. So, quite simply, a "numen-era" is a time when a forgotten but still lingering form of science is treated like magic and sacred power by the people that experience it.
    Way better explanation than those far-fetched Tolkien references, don't you think ?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    I've been informed that the word "Tides" in the game's title holds some meaning. They didn't just choose it because it sounds cool.

^ Top  
  20. Cosmo Arcane

Cosmo
    Project: Eternity
    May be linked to what they said about various dimensions and shifting realities...

^ Top  
  21. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator Patron

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Yeah I kind of expected the "tides" to actually mean something.

I personally still don't like the title. But whatever.

^ Top  
  22. Harg Harfardarssen Cipher Patron

Harg Harfardarssen
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Cosmo, Monty Cook actually had a blog post explaining the name, which backs up you interpretation pretty well:

Although, Tolkien was likely aware of this meaning of numen as well, so it may be that Numenera and Numenor are the result of parallel derivations.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. St. Toxic Arcane

St. Toxic
    Have they said anything about grappling mechanics?

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  24. Brother None inXile Entertainment Developer

Brother None
    In Numenera, you will be able to grapple a turtle.

*epic music sting*

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  25. Maiandros Learned Possibly Retarded

Maiandros
    i refuse to nitpick over a title, especially when previous announcements both signified the direction, and limited the possible outcomes if you take a moment to consider it;
    what i -do- worry about, is depicting..atmosphere..
    If Wasteland 2's graphics are anything of an indicator, i shiver in advance..just cannot see how that gritty, dark, pessimistic an atmosphere of PST can be captured by cartoony (not sure if this is the right word here?) graphics enriched with bloom and hdr..they lack the starkness, the grittiness..i think that phrases it well. As usually, shall await and see.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)