Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News inXile's Torment successor has a name, Mark Morgan hired to compose

selkin

Liturgist
Whoa, you must be smart you knew what map the sound came from!

Honestly, how did you came to the conclusion that I didn't play it?

Anyhow, your metaphor of album-covers = game-graphics is just wrong. You do realize that, I hope.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Music in games can honestly make or break the game, every moment has better impact with the right music and vice versa. The moment you heard the FO2 song in New Vegas the game became better and that isn't nostalgia talking the music fit and increased the significance of the whole part of the game.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Whoa, you must be smart you knew what map the sound came from!

Honestly, how did you came to the conclusion that I didn't play it?

You were talking about a song from FO2. Not even the song, really, just the resonating drum-sound.

Anyhow, your metaphor of album-covers = game-graphics is just wrong. You do realize that, I hope.

In the context of graphics influencing music taste? I think not.

selkin

Liturgist
You were talking about a song from FO2. Not even the song, really, just the resonating drum-sound.
It doesn't matter what map the song is from.
In this content Fallout 1 and 2 should be regarded as a whole.
That's not a drum-sound. That sound - among others gives Fallout's music its unique industrial feeling.
Take a minute and listen to that sound.
It's like a crackling sound of a large abandoned industrial complex that rusted away with its age. It instantly gives you the feeling that you are alone. Or the possibility that something might lurk deep inside that complex. It's fucking brilliant. And every bit of if is from Fallout. Not Planescape.

In the context of graphics influencing music taste? I think not.
I don't get you here :) Care to explain?

Moribund

A droglike
"Music in games can honestly make or break the game, every moment has better impact with the right music and vice versa." - yeah, when you are a teenage girl I guess.

I actually listened to every single song in the fallout 2 soundtrack. That starting in vault city song is very similar to two other songs just in fallout 2.

Really they all sound practically the same, except the louis armstrong and the arroyo track (which is awful). It's good music but I didn't misremember, it's all pure ambient, nothing too exciting.I think toxic was trying to say you never played fallout 1 just fallout 2 but it's all about the same, and the torment music is not a hell of a lot different.

The torment art style was initially offputting to me as well, especially the low end 3D mixed in with the high end 2D. The 2D is very well done. It just was a bit strange seeming at first.

The only really good fallout song seemed to be the cathedral song. Man this game gets overpraised to high heaven, people seem to care more about the music and art than the game itself.

St. Toxic

Arcane

I think it matters to the discussion that the two games were developed simultaneously. There's also this quote from Williams:

It was very enjoyable to start with, but then the original producer quit and things changed. Originally they loved what I was doing, then, after four months of work, and six weeks before the game was released, they decided on a completely different musical direction

I'm fine with the idea of meeting deadlines by re-using resources. I mean, the actual music still doesn't sound like the Fallout tracks.
That's not a drum-sound. That sound - among others gives Fallout's music its unique industrial feeling.
Take a minute and listen to that sound.
It's like a crackling sound of a large abandoned industrial complex that rusted away with its age. It instantly gives you the feeling that you are alone. Or the possibility that something might lurk deep inside that complex. It's fucking brilliant. And every bit of if is from Fallout. Not Planescape.

There's plenty of great sounds in FO that give off that excellent post-apoc vibe, like ancient computer-machines ticking away, wind blowing through cracked concrete, rats scurrying, mandibles chewing, but that sound isn't it. That's just some djembe being plunked in an empty hallway.

Here:

To be honest I was not satisfied with the game's overall look,neither with the user interface/gameplay. It left me with an unsatisfied feeling. Maybe that is why I tend to be less forgiving when it comes to the Soundtrack.

Meaning that you judge music by association. Apparently user interface can make the music worse, huh?

Really they all sound practically the same

Right, the formula is the same for each track. That's kind of the point.

DraQ

Arcane
Music in games can honestly make or break the game, every moment has better impact with the right music and vice versa. The moment you heard the FO2 song in New Vegas the game became better and that isn't nostalgia talking the music fit and increased the significance of the whole part of the game.
Make?
-
Possibly.
Music can contribute a whole lot to the atmosphere.

Break?
-
Fuckno.
If it comes to worst you can always play game without.

roshan

Arcane
The idea that PST sounded like Fallout is just insane. I don't know how this is even up for discussion. If you're stupid enough to think this, you can always run a few tests. Try playing Deionarra's theme as the background to New Reno, or Annah's theme in the Den. Absolutely. Fucking. Retarded.

Moribund

A droglike
Listen to Deionarra's theme then listen to "beyond the canyon", arroyo's theme :lol:

Could be part of the same song. You are apparently only listening to the shallow melody of her song and its emotionality. It has a different emotional tone by adding one note and your brain is completely fools. Kind of disturbing.

Annah's theme or sigil theme could fit into ANY fallout area. The bar song for torment seems to be the only standout. The rest...again they are all basically the same. Which is not really bad for a game, everything fits together well. But it's hard to see how people can't see all three games are very similar in style.

St. Toxic

Arcane
Listen to Deionarra's theme then listen to "beyond the canyon", arroyo's theme :lol:

Could be part of the same song. You are apparently only listening to the shallow melody of her song and its emotionality. It has a different emotional tone by adding one note and your brain is completely fools. Kind of disturbing.

Meaning that you see beyond by listening primarily to the didgeridoo track and ignoring everything else? Funny how the "shallow melody" is the actual melody, and the "one note" is the only thing in common with Fallout, though hardly the Arroyo theme specifically. I still fail to actually see the resemblance, could you give a hint at which timings to use to make the two tracks line up?

Annah's theme or sigil theme could fit into ANY fallout area.

How about you watch part of a let's play with the music running in the background? I mean, at least I think it looks pretty off-putting. The Fallout tracks are environmental noise; there's rhythm there but little in the way of a melody. The same can hardly be said for the PST tracks.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Fallout didn't have much "music", it was just some Aphex-Twin'esque background stuff. Which was fine.

EG

Nullified

There's . . . no similarity.

Do you mean the addition at 1:13 for Deionarra? Or the vocals that appear later in Canyon?

Moribund

A droglike
I mean like exact same song like exact same song.

Replace digiridoo with human voice and cut the tribal chant sample that plays 3 times and it's pretty much the same shit.

There's a one note difference between the dionarra melody and the arroyo one. Which don't even comprise a whole scale it's like a half scale of 4 notes in slow motion, repeated 3-4 times in slight crescendo. Hence calling it shallow. They aren't songs they are blurbs on top of ambient, and the rest are pure ambient.

The point was that they obviously have same guy and same style which I fucking hope is obvious to everyone...but really they are similar way beyond that. Not all nick cave songs sound the same though I can usually recognize them in 2-3 notes. But this is like holy shit, twins. Aphex twins to be exact :lol:

selkin

Liturgist

I think it matters to the discussion that the two games were developed simultaneously. There's also this quote from Williams:

It was very enjoyable to start with, but then the original producer quit and things changed. Originally they loved what I was doing, then, after four months of work, and six weeks before the game was released, they decided on a completely different musical direction

I'm fine with the idea of meeting deadlines by re-using resources. I mean, the actual music still doesn't sound like the Fallout tracks.
I didn't know they changed the whole bloody thing 6 weeks before the release..
This explains a lot.

Here:

To be honest I was not satisfied with the game's overall look,neither with the user interface/gameplay. It left me with an unsatisfied feeling. Maybe that is why I tend to be less forgiving when it comes to the Soundtrack.

Meaning that you judge music by association. Apparently user interface can make the music worse, huh?
It's very easy to draw the line between these things but sometimes it worth to treat the game as a whole. I don't judge certain parts separately... I judge by association. Taste is always subjected to personal feelings.

User interface can annoy me, which will make me like the game - as a whole - less. Game-graphics can appear less appealing when I'm "entertained" by bad music.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

Compare it with this, starting at 01:08

I still don't see what the big deal is. Aside from some loops he reused, he just has a very specific style. I like both soundtracks so I couldn't give a fuck about it.

Codex gonna Codex. ;)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
The idea that PST sounded like Fallout is just insane. I don't know how this is even up for discussion. If you're stupid enough to think this, you can always run a few tests. Try playing Deionarra's theme as the background to New Reno, or Annah's theme in the Den. Absolutely. Fucking. Retarded.
How about Curst theme?

:troll:

No.

:troll:

It's quite easy to recognise Mark Morgan's music. I remember hearing the Giants: Citizen Kabuto soundtrack which explicitly said Jeremy Soule on it and immediately thinking "Damn this really sounds like Mark Morgan. I need to confirm" and sure enough Mark Morgan did a number of the songs for Giants along with Jeremy Soule (who also has an easily recognisable style).

I've never been that big a fan of Mark Morgan but as for the similarity between PST and FO music (which is clearly there) I don't see how it could be an inherently bad thing. If you don't like the music or the composer then that's another matter. They're appealing to very similar audiences and were made alongside one another. Many games have this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom