Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Ion Fury (formerly Ion Maiden) - Build Engine powered FPS by Duke Nukem 3D mappers

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by tormund, Nov 12, 2015.

1. taviow Magister

taviow
    My framerate doesn't drop often but it doesn't always feels as smooth as I'd have liked. Minor issue though.

I love the game otherwise, easily the most beautiful Build maps I had ever seen, and it plays really well.

Enemy variety gets higher as you go through the game, but the game lacks crazy weapons which were always a staple of 90s shooters.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. taviow Magister

taviow
    [​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 10
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    ^ Top  
  3. ZeniBot Arbiter

ZeniBot
    I would give ANYTHING for Duke 3d's Shrink Ray in this game. I'm disappointed they didn't think to add it. This very much is a shadow warrior style game through and through which is still damn fine but Duke's weapon variety is really what this game needs badly.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. mwnn85 Learned

mwnn85
    It definitely helps to acquire all the secret items in the first level if you're playing on the tougher difficulties.
    It's a bit like Blood in that respect where you start off weak.

In the first level alone you can get 200 Heavy Armor, Double Uzi, Crossbow, those useless puck things, etc.
    Plus the Blade Runner reference. Not much fun to balance on the vents and wires though so I just used noclip for the video.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ffTlSyMJYxYZt6hnmdphNS7Bmf_BEjOA/view?usp=sharing

Still wish the ammo capacity was higher though; Duke can carry hundreds of bullets.
    I'd replace those shit pucks with something better - I don't see how they're any better than the bowling bombs.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    • incline incline x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Mikeal Liturgist

Mikeal

• Old Old x 3
    • honk honk! honk honk! x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. taviow Magister

taviow
    I'm fine with the pistol capacity, but the damn shotgun kills me with just 48 rounds. I haven't run out of ammo yet though, as opposed to some reviewers complaining about lack of ammo.

^ Top  
  7. Jack █▓▒░ Jacked Off... Patron

Self-Ejected
    I haven't had this fun playing a shooter since Blood. As people have pointed out since the very first demo the game is blander in terms of enemies, weapons, protagonist and so on and that's still true but even so it's miles above any FPS released in the last two decades or so. It's just a very solid game, just like they used to make them, and that's very exceptionally rare these days in all genres. The levels are fantastic both in terms of design and aesthetics, the gameplay feels great, the interactivity is there and it all comes together nicely. My hunger for old RPGs has been satiated with Grimoire which surpassed even the old. Now my thirst for a proper shooter has also been quenched with Ion Maiden. I'd never thought I'd ever play a newly made game that'd scratch that itch but here it is. WRATH might eventually further surprise me, but Quake is still seeing maps made and I never stopped playing it so it's not such a rare treat as this.

:4/5: - Almost as great as the Build trinity, but that's unfathomably better than anything else on the market.

• Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • incline x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. taviow Magister

taviow
    I really dislike mainstream media saying this is inferior in design to modern FPS games though. If anything I think that shooters have significantly devolved since the 90s, into you being a passive entity who presses W and watches cutscenes while occasionally taking a peek at some dudes from behind cover to shoot at them a little bit. This is to me definitely what a competent FPS game should actually be like instead of the complete boredom of CoD and the like. Nonetheless, I see people saying that Ion Fury is outdated and that FPSes have "evolved" beyond this. Their complaints are usually about getting lost for a few minutes.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Brofist Brofist x 5
    ^ Top  
  9. rohand Arbiter

rohand
    Really love it but it's hard to top the absurd number of top notch Eduke32 community content that has since come out such as WGRealms, Roch and AMC TC
    Apart from Blood and Duke himself

^ Top  
  10. Valestein Arcane Patron

Valestein
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Hopefully this gets mod support to rival that.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. taviow Magister

taviow
    I think it might. It uses the same tools the modders already know how to use.

• Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Valestein Arcane Patron

Valestein
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    At the very least it should get a mod to revert the title screen to say "Ion Maiden".

• Yes Yes x 5
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Wunderbar Arcane

Wunderbar
    [​IMG]

Someone (not me) have found the room from Silent Hill 4.

• incline x 5
    • Prestigious x 5
    • Brofist x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • nice x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jenkem Magister Patron

Jenkem
    Make the Codex Great Again!
    getting like random 10fps drops here and there and it's annoying as fuck...

^ Top  
  15. CyberModuled Learned

CyberModuled
    Hopefully at the very least them turning on Steam Workshop support very soon will make more people aware of the modding tools available now.

[​IMG]
    Some people say it might be coming from the in-game V-sync and the solution would be using your GPU's own V-sync while uncapping FPS to something higher than your monitor's refresh rate but it's not consistent for others.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. A_boring_GOG_bot Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    I know it's a stupid question but can you compare this game with the new Blood release ?

^ Top  
  17. Curratum Liturgist

Curratum
    It's not nearly as good as Blood due to weapon and enemy selections and atmosphere but it's miles ahead of Shadow Warrior and about on par with Duke 3D.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • nice nice x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Ash Arcane

Ash
    Duke 3D > Shadow Warrior > Blood. All three are some of the best FPS of all time.

I know we've done this before, but hail to the king. Blood is an absolutely solid game but I think it has bias on the codex for its theme, in the same way VTM:B's flaws are overlooked because storyfaggotry, cool gothic horror and titties. Yes the atmosphere is good. Yes the horror movie references are good. But I think the gameplay comes a little short of SW/Duke 3D, and both these games have great references and atmosphere of their own.

• Disagree x 6
    • Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Two more things that bother me immensely about this game.

1. WOULD IT REALLY HURT TO PUT SOME FUCKING LIGHT SWITCHES IN HERE?

2. The weapon reloading is stupid and obtuse. I keep drawing the double uzis only to shoop 3 bullets and watch Bombshell reload for an eternity while I get swarmed by mudcrabs. They should have either added regular loaded/total ammo counts as every other fucking game does or have the guns autoreload when swapped.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Durandal Arcane

Durandal
    Tip: to cancel weapon reloading, press the button of your currently equipped weapon again while reloading. Needs to be done twice with the SMG so you don't hold out only one of the SMGs.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. geno Learned

geno
    Disabling V-Sync and lowering the resolution should improve the perfomance. If you have a Nvidia card, check the control panel and activate Triple-buffer and anti-aliasing.

^ Top  
  22. Curratum Liturgist

Curratum
    I really don't understand how you can even compare SW to it when SW is barely playable and easily the worst of the popular Build games, by a mile.

• Up Yours x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • FAKE NEWS x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. schru Erudite

schru
    Shadow Warrior has lots of nuances to enemy attacks and the arsenal which make it somewhat tedious and difficult at first, but once you learn to use all the weapons, it's great.

• Yes Yes x 3
    • FAKE NEWS FAKE NEWS x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Junmarko Goomba Patron

Junmarko
    :greatjob:
    :love:

• Friendly Friendly x 21
    ^ Top  
  25. Deadman Arcane Patron

Deadman
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Okay, I have beaten first level of the first zone (first miniloading screen).

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)