Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Iron Danger - tactical combat RPG with simultaneous turns and time manipulation

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I don't understand: where is the turn-based part? I click on the footage but all I see is some sort of RTwP thing with a rewind mechanic?

Can anyone explain? I'm not specifically against RTwP, I enjoy it if done right, I just don't understand why they're advertising turn-based when it doesn't seem to have it.

hepphep

Action Squad Studios
Developer
I don't understand: where is the turn-based part? I click on the footage but all I see is some sort of RTwP thing with a rewind mechanic?

Can anyone explain? I'm not specifically against RTwP, I enjoy it if done right, I just don't understand why they're advertising turn-based when it doesn't seem to have it.

Excellent question. In practice the gameplay is somewhat different to usual turn-based as the turns are simultaneous, but the experience is much closer to turn-based than RTwP.
You will give commands for individual characters instead of having them pick those automatically, which is very much in line with your traditional turn-based games, therefore keeping all the control in your own hands all the time.
The time manipulation enables you to do it smoothly without ending up into situation where it becomes too much of just guesswork in trying to instantly figure out what will happen simultaneously. Instead you can give your commands and renew your decisions based on what would happen on realtime. This actually turns the gameplay more puzzle-like experience. So, in practice there can be impossible seeming encounters that you'll find your way to solve in your own way.

You can then run longer chunks of given commands in series after rewinding, giving you smooth looking combat action, which is what leads easily to RTwP impressions when looking video capture of those.

The following video shows bit better of how the gameplay flow really goes. (this is from pre-alpha version of the game, so there is of course pile of changes done after it already).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://irondanger.com/blog/

THE STORY OF THE STORY
26.2.2019 - Joel Sammallahti

SOME WORDS FROM THE WRITER
The development of Iron Danger is proceeding in an equal combination of fits and starts on the one hand, and leaps and bounds on the other. From the writer’s point of view, it’s an interesting time, as story beats and dialogue written months ago are finally seeing the light of the screen. All the while, I’m going back to those earlier pieces of writing, updating them to conform to changes in the game’s mechanics, level design, characters, enemy roster, and so on: the script is constantly in flux. This is an interesting aspect of game writing: nothing is set in stone before the game is actually finished and shipped, but then again, without a solid script, there’s no way to make progress on the actual levels in such a story-driven game. So I though this week we could have a look at the process of writing the story that we started building our actual levels on.

IT STARTS WITH A SECRET INGREDIENT
When I first started working on Iron Danger, I talked with our lead designer about the story, and he gave me the kernel of it. He had been planning the game for a while, and wanted the story to have real emotional resonance, not just one event after another. His insight was that to guide our writing and design in a direction that would produce that resonance, the story should have an underlying metaphorical level: we should treat the story as an allegory of an inherently resonating core metaphor, like a symbolist painting or poem. I thought that was a brilliant approach, and we agreed immediately to construct the story on his core metaphor. We would not make the core metaphor explicit, but its dynamics would provide us with a foundation, on which to construct a coherent story and game experience. The events of the game and the supporting characters, seen from the point of view of our heroine, would symbolize experiences and forces, respectively, relating to this core metaphor.* What a kooky, romantic way to write a game!

CONCEPT TO OUTLINE
The core metaphor provides us with an idea. But ideas are cheap, as any writer will go out of their way to tell you. So, the next step was to turn that idea into the outline of a story. For this purpose, I wrote up a sequence of major events over the course of the game, in a table with one column for gameplay events, and a second one for the underlying meta-level meaning. This table went through a number of revisions, until I was happy with the logic and structure of both sides. The meta-level was instrumental in making the surface-level story work: whenever I was in doubt about an event, or some element seemed off, I looked at the meta-level meaning, and used the logic of that side to figure out how to fix the surface-level problem.

When I was happy with my table, I turned it into a 3-page prose synopsis, divided into chapters. We dug into this synopsis with the lead designer and other members of the team, seeing how it could be improved, and translating it into an idea of the kinds of game content we would need. If I had invented a character or a place, someone was going to have to turn that into a game asset, after all. And if I had written an event, say “Kipuna collapses from pain”, that implied another entry on our coders’ and animators’ checklists. Based on such considerations, we moved some of the characters and events around, fusing or removing extraneous ones, and tightening the whole skein a notch. Throughout it all, we kept the meta-level story in mind, to make sure we didn’t lose sight of the emotional core of the game.

SCENIC ROUTE
Once we had a good story synopsis, it was time to further refine that into a list of actual scenes. We think of movies consisting of scenes, but games, of course, are made of levels. Right? Well, the approach we took was that from the story point of view, a level would consist of one or more gameplay scenes, interspersed by shorter, story-focused scenes that would just advance the narrative instead of serving up actual gameplay.

I went through the prose outline, splitting it up into scene-sized chunks. These I labeled either cutscenes, in which the player would more or less passively watch a short presentation of information, gameplay scenes, the meat and potatoes of actually running around, fighting enemies, and solving puzzles, and finally, interactive cutscenes in which the player would control the main character in exactly the same way as in core gameplay, but with the focus on dialogue. These were further arranged into levels, sequences of scenes that would carry from one to the next seamlessly, each level separated from the next by a cut implying the passing of time.

The spreadsheet containing all this became one of our main tools for managing the production, with required assets listed for each scene, and each one assigned to a specific level designer. Although we all collaborate on each other’s levels, one person finally bears the responsibility of bringing the level to completion and making sure it hangs together. (Yes, I’m one of the level designers too, as are the lead designer, the producer, and the lead concept artist; nobody wears just one hat in our team.)

TWO STEPS FORWARD, ONE GIANT LEAP BACK
Of course, no big project—even a moderately big one like ours—proceeds from point A to B in a straight line. Time and time again, I find myself going back to the story outline with revisions, and small changes to our level spreadsheet are always ongoing. That’s how it should be, too! A game isn’t a piece of writing, and its story isn’t told when it’s written down: it’s only when we’re actually playing what we’ve built that we can figure out what really works and what doesn’t, and so we jump back frequently and make the changes to the story that our experience with the game, half-finished as it is, tells us are needed. I’ll write another post about that, later! Now, I’ve got to fix some dialogue to take out references to an enemy we replaced with another one…

*So… what is the core metaphor? It doesn’t matter. If we’ve succeeded, the story will be entertaining and evocative, and if not, knowing would in no improve it. It’s nothing unique—on the contrary, it’s almost universal—and once you know it’s there, you can probably guess when you’ve played the game, if we’ve done our jobs right.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://irondanger.com/blog/friday-rewind-2/

FRIDAY REWIND #2: KILLING OLD FEATURES AND IMPROVING MELEE COMBAT

This friday, I will be musing about Killing our Darlings

FAREWELL TO FEATURES

Now that the game is nearly feature complete we have a better idea of how everything fits together. However, this is not always pleasant. In the last couple of weeks I have removed some features from the game. Features we spent weeks, months polishing and fine tuning to near perfection. But in the end, they had to go!

CARRYING ITEMS
We spent a long time on developing carry-able items. We had to make sure the items do not fall out of the navmesh and that they are always rewindable while being held. Damage needed to register constantly too.

But they were not fun. Picking up barrels of oil just to lose all skills because the player’s hands were tied was never fun. Also, carrying the barrel to the perfect spot for ambushing enemies was impossible. You had to physically walk in the middle of the battleground in order to do that.

It is possible to kick the barrel, hoping it will land in the correct spot. But this is really limited in range.

So, our solution was to cut the feature completely! Remove all carry functionality and just make the barrels and bear traps function as grenades. You can now pick them up and *puff* they magically disappear into your pockets. Then you can lob them inhumanly far at will! You can only carry one of each type of barrel at once though.

Placing an explosive barrel next to an unsuspecting enemy unit is now rewarding and fun.

ARROW PICKUPS AND RELOADING
In our efforts to make our crossbows less effective, we introduced limited amount of arrows for the player. They would need to pickup the arrows from the bodies of fallen enemies and manually reload after each shot. Also, you needed to equip the correct weapon, so for melee you needed to switch to the sword and for ranged you needed to switch to the crossbow.

This all sounded GREAT in theory, but after implementing everything using the crossbow turned out to be a tedious task. So, after having the feature in for 3 months, it was time to let it go and just make a longer cool-down period for ranged skills and remove some damage from the crossbow bolts. The game now plays more fluently and there is no need for all that micromanagement.

We did leave in the arrows that get stuck on enemies though. It looks so cool.

AIMED MELEE ATTACKS
For 99% of the production, our weapon aiming was handled by selecting a direction of attack and hoping an enemy was in that fan-shaped area at the correct time. This was OK for us and it forced you to think carefully about the placement of enemies in both space and time to land that perfect shot. For skills with a narrow width, it was super tedious. It was really hard to make the hit connect and multiple tries had to be done in order for the enemy to happen to walk to the correct spot for impact.

I had been mulling over changing this but did not take any action until now. So, I went in and changed all but one cone targeted skills to direct target selection skills. Now all it takes for the hit to land is that the enemy is at range and unable to block. When before you eventually got the same result after assigning the attack command with different aims for maybe dozens of times, now you only need to perform the attack once. Then you can focus on the things that really matter: the synchronization of your characters and the timing of your actions.

As a cherry on top, we also added the functionality for chaining actions, so now you can click on a far away enemy unit and your character will walk to it and perform the attack. This functionality is closer to the turn-based norm of attacking that we were lacking before when you first had to walk really close and then attack an area instead of a target.

Simply clicking on an enemy in walk / run mode will prompt chained move and attack actions. Standard stuff, but because of our timeline based game-play it took us a while to figure out how to best do it. 3 years to be exact…

The same chained action is now used for items like pickups and levers and such, so you do not need to manually walk next to them anymore. These changes, along with another new ability of being able to click anywhere on screen and have the character walk to the nearest possible spot, and our recent performance optimizations make the game feel so much more smoother.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://irondanger.com/uncategorized/the-three-goals-of-dialogue/

THE THREE GOALS OF DIALOGUE
3.4.2019 - Joel Sammallahti

Aside, of course, from providing work for voice actors, the dialogue in Iron Danger serves—you guessed it—three purposes:
  • Providing gameplay information to the player
  • Carrying the story forwards
  • Displaying the personalities of the characters and background information about the game world
Those are three goals that sometimes might not have anything to do with each other, while other times being intimately connected. This week, I thought we could take a slightly closer look at how we go about trying to hit those goals when writing dialogue.

IT’S OVER HERE, DUMMY
You might not think so, but communicating stuff to the player can be really hard. On the user interface side, pointing out the relevant slab of pixels can involve moving it, putting a highlight around it, making it blink, enlarging it, changing its color… the list goes on. These are all tricks that use the inborn tendencies of our eyes and brain to guide our attention in the visual field. But we’re more complex than the average mammal, and we have an additional mechanism that most of them don’t: we tend to pay attention to what other people are paying attention to. There are two ways we can use this in our game: we can make the characters look at something, or we can have them talk about it. That latter option is one of the main uses we put dialogue to.

Of course, it’s not just about telling the player where to look; it’s at least as much about providing information the characters have, that the player does not yet have because of the limitations of an artificial game world. That’s why one of the earliest functionalities our coders built into the first Iron Danger prototype was an examine action, for when the player wants to inspect something the heroes come across during the game.

We wanted to have an experience reminiscent of older point-and-click adventure games and isometric RPGs, where the characters are surrounded by a large variety of objects of interest that the players can inspect at their leisure. While we don’t focus on complex puzzles, inventory management or the like, examining objects is still a core part of gameplay, giving the player advice on what to interact with and how.

WHAT’S GOING ON
A large slice of Iron Danger’s total word count (I’m not sure if it’s actually a majority, but it’s a lot) is in the form of back-and-forth conversations between two or more characters—that is: actual dialogue. Much of the story is presented in this form: the characters learn and make decisions through dialogue.

It’s all skippable… but if you do skip it, you’ll probably miss a big chunk of the story. In fact, we don’t want to put in any story-carrying dialogue that’s redundant in combination with gameplay. If we decide to tell something through player action, we don’t need to recap it with dialogue, except occasionally to clarify something.

PUT IN SOME FLAVOR!
You could say these three goals are arranged in order of necessity: players need vital information to play the game. They want to know what’s happening in the story they’re playing. And the rest? Character personality and background? It’s just nice to have. You could say that… but I’d disagree with you. These goals haven’t been set up in a vertical hierarchy. Each one feeds into the others, making them more meaningful.

The background details and personalities motivate the player to care about the world and the characters, so the events of the plot gain emotional force. And the plot is vital to motivating gameplay: if you know that the heroine is looking for a shard of ancient power, you, the player, are going to be looking for one in the game. And going all the way around the circle, the gameplay is what brings out little details of the game world and the characters.

bandit-bark.jpg

MIX IT UP
In addition, the interdependency of the three goals brings us to one core aspect of dialogue that works: it serves more than one purpose. Information that only helps gameplay is almost always dry. Dialogue that just advances story is typically boring, and usually skipped outright. And chit-chat that does nothing except show off the characters or the setting is useless. But combine two goals and nail both, and you’re… well, not guaranteed that the dialogue is worth the player’s time, but at least it’s a start. And if you manage to hit all three, you’re doing something right.

So, optimally, we’d like our conversations to move the story along, provide the player real information on what to do next, and round out our characters and setting, all at the same time. Whenever I write an exchange that manages to do that, I pat myself on the back.

ALL ABOUT THE POINT OF VIEW
One way we try to approach this target of hitting two goals at the same time is, again, is with the examine action. When the player examines an object in the game, this prompts a short piece of text—a bark—from the currently selected character, just a line or two. But these barks are written from the point of view of that specific character, and different characters notice different things. Sometimes it’s even worth your while to examine the same object with two different characters, to gain twice the insight, both into whatever you’re checking out, and the characters!

Did you already read “The Story of The Story“, the first part of our writer’s series?

To keep up on most recent news about the game, remember to subscribe to our mailing list. Subscribers also have a chance to win free copy of the game!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://irondanger.com/blog/friday-rewind-6/

FRIDAY REWIND #6: UI POLISH
19.4.2019 - Jussi Kemppainen

We are deep into polishing the game, and this week I spent some time working on the UI – especially our timeline.

TIMELINE VISUALS
First, I redid all the UI elements with a more hand drawn style we have been gradually bringing everywhere in the UI. After this step, we added a preview for how many heartbeats (our action points) it takes for a character to move to a certain location. As we were talking about icons we could use there, we thought about using a heart to tell that this number is heartbeats, but that makes no sense as heart is health. The we talked about using an ECG as an icon for the heartbeat and immediately it clicked that instead of using dots to mark the cut off points in out timeline (like we used to) we should use the ECG curve to separate the heartbeats. So we did.

Also, I added a clearer indication for the currently selected timeline (blue border). It is now much easier to see which timeline is active. I also added a blue container to mark the currently on-going heartbeat to better visualize what the current time is.

ACTION PREDICTIONS
Small changes were made to the way we visualize predicted actions, as I already mentioned, we added a number next to the cursor when in walk more to show you the amount of heartbeats your movement command is going to take. We already were showing that on the timeline as ghosted action cells, but as it turns out, that information was pretty hard to translate into useful information in the player’s head. We now do both, show the number and show the prediction.

The color of the prediction was also changed, it is now orange, so that it is clearly visible on the blue timeline. Also the prediction is now slightly larger that the committed action, so that predictions and existing actions overlap better.

HOTKEYS
We also finally implemented the hotkey-system. Adding hotkeys to all commands. The hotkey is also visualized in the UI to make selecting skills using the keyboard much faster!

DAMAGE INDICATIONS

I had always planned to have the timeline break apart when the player character receives damage and now I finally got around to adding it into the game. I think it really emphasizes the damage events and makes them stand out from player’s own actions.

Someone on our community Discord server also suggested us to flat-line the ECG after a character has been killed, so I suppose we will add that feature next!
Why don’t you jump in to give us share your great ideas with us as well!

blamzooie

Educated
Finland has a proud tradition of game development. Perhaps this will be the new Angry Birds.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

FRIDAY REWIND #12
31.5.2019 - Jussi Kemppainen

There are lots of minor improvements that we’ve been working on lately, including optimizations on memory consumption, visual quality configurations and so on. In addition we are still actively working on some new features

MINI-MAP CHANGES
Some more work was put into the minimap. We created out first hand drawn maps for levels and they were so clear and readable that I changed the minimap in the corner to show that map instead of the top down rendering. This also came with performance improvements.

Custom images for map in minimap (and elsewhere).

PATROL PATH ACTIONS
For our AI units, we added a simple tool to have them perform any action at a patrol path waypoint. This allows us to have the enemies carry out scripted sequences of actions, making them more lively. This is pretty rare in a tactical turn-based game. Characters can sit and chat, they can fix machinery, rummage trough boxes, hunt, target practice, mine for stuff and other cool things! This has pretty much no added gameplay value, but adds to the immersion of the world.

A soldier fixing a piece of machinery.

A troll waking up from it’s years long slumber.

DAMAGE VISUALIZATION
We used to have a streak that was drawn in the air by the character weapon. But it was not actually attached to any gameplay function. it was purely a visual thing. We replaced that with a more gamified visual that is timed with the actual damage event and actual damage range. Also different characters have a different look in the damage visualizer, so it is a bit easier to tell who is inflicting the damage. We also render this element on top of everything, so it does not get lost in the clutter. This simple thing makes the game combat a lot more readable.

DEAD BODIES
This feature has been on the to-do list for ever! Dead bodies of fallen teammates cause alarm and concern for NPC characters. Finally we added that in. It is a pretty self explanatory feature: when an enemy sees a dead teammate, they come and investigate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
https://rpgamer.com/2019/06/iron-danger-e3-impression/

Iron Danger E3 Impression

It’s only been one day on the E3 show floor, but I have a strong feeling Finnish developer Action Squad Studios’ tactical RPG Iron Danger has done enough to mark itself out as one of standout titles as the show. At first brush, however, the game looks like any number of other isometric dungeon-crawlers set in some fantasy universe or another. Looks can be deceiving. It’s when one pays attention to the bottom fifth of the screen — helped by having someone like Action Squad Studios’ Antti Kemppainen and Sami Timonen nearby to break things down — that things go from bog-standard to uniquely exotic in no time at all.

There are two modes to Iron Danger’s gameplay. The first is adventure mode, where the two on-screen characters in the party move about the in-game maps as you would expect, exploring, looting treasure… general spelunking, really. But open a door or round a corner and encounter enemies, and combat mode sets in. It does make any difference to what players see, but the game comes to a sudden standstill as time freezes.

This is where the bottom of the screen comes into play. During combat encounters, time is measured in Heartbeats, with each Heartbeat taking up a half-second of combat time. Underneath the dungeon view are two timelines spreading across the screen from left to right, one for each character. These timelines are split into fourteen equal sections — the Heartbeats — representing a total of seven seconds of combat, though the final four always represent future actions. It’s now the player’s task to fill these increments with commands that the characters will then carry out, choosing from an impressive list of on-screen icon and movement abilities. It isn’t a simple matter of ordering a unit to cast a spell or move; the precise direction for each command must be indicated by dragging an arrow across the screen. On top of that, many commands require different lengths of time; firing a particular arrow shot, for example, takes up three Heartbeats, with indicators marking where the bow is drawn and the arrow released. It leads to a lot of considerations and the “tactical” part of the game’s description really cannot be overstated.

That’s only half of the story. There is one more crucial ability the player has control of: time manipulation. At the press of a button, time moves forward one Heartbeat, and party members and enemies alike carry out a half-second’s worth of action. However, if you decide you don’t like the way battle is shaping up, you do have the ability to rewind time back to the first Heartbeat on the screen and alter the characters’ actions any way you like. This even includes undoing the death of an ally due to an ill-timed decision. But beware: changing any action erases all subsequent actions as well, and enemies will alter their behavior according to your new path. Don’t like the way it’s going? Had a party wipe? Simply rewind time and change it. Once time has progressed far enough to move a Heartbeat off the left side of the screen, however, it can no longer be altered. Everything taken on board, the combat system resembles a carefully choreographed dance.

There is a narrative reason for this unique system. At the game’s outset, Kipuna, the protagonist, finds her sleepy village under siege by invaders, and in the ensuing scuffle she falls into an ancient temple and is impaled through the chest by a magical time shard that grants her the ability to roll back time by five seconds. After meeting with another survivor, they set out to warn the king of the invading threat, only to be sent on a quest to securer further magical artifacts that only Kipuna, with the time shard still protruding from her body, can safely handle.

Before my time with Iron Danger came to an end, Sami and Antti had a few last things to mention. A feature the team was visibly proud of is the ability to use real-world physics to cause some interesting chain reactions within the game, where setting off an explosion, for example, may topple a nearby tree, which in turn can crush an unsuspecting foe standing underneath it. When asked whether there would ever be more than two characters, Antti admits that there is currently at least one instance of this, but that play-testing has revealed managing two timelines simultaneously really is the sweet spot for most people to be able to get in a groove that feels natural. Unfortunately, Sami wasn’t able to name an exact release date yet, beyond the cryptic “early next year”. But those looking for a PC dungeon-crawler offering something a bit different, and not afraid of a “high level of challenge” (Antti’s words) can start getting excited now.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

FRIDAY REWIND #19 LINE RENDER MAGIC
19.7.2019 - Jussi Kemppainen
LINE RENDERERS

Enemy shaman is resurrecting a dead teammate.

As one of the latest additions in to the game we added an optional visualization for direct targeted magic. It felt necessary to somehow visualize the enemies’ actions that contain invisible connections between units.

We used simple line-renderer to do that.

watertrail-1024x576.png
Stormy night at the sea.

Earlier I had created a shader that mixes two textures with alpha channels to create one animated texture. By combining a special mask layer with a looping, scrolling texture, we were able to create a flowing tail wave for our boating scenes. This texture was using alpha clipping for that crisp water foam effect.

Kipuna is setting fire to a bush while the enemy is resurrecting a teammate.

For our Line render I modified the shader to do smooth alpha blending and support a “hot color”. Not sure what else to call it. I multiply the color with the alpha channel to make the most visible areas appear “hot” so that we simply do not have a ramp from transparent to opaque but the color shifts to a hotter value as well.

Using the line-renderer to draw links between actions sources and action targets helps the player to read the battlefield better when dozens of things are happening at once.

linerender_01-1024x576.png

Ancient power-lines, still functional after centuries of being buried underground.

In addition to character skills we also used the line-renderer to show connections between game elements in our temple levels. I feel that these add an additional layer of mystery to these ancient temples.

For these power connections, both the mask and the detail layer are animated to make the line appear to be flowing and swirling at the same time.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron

FRIDAY REWIND #20: ENOUGH OF HEAT, HERE’S SOME ICE!
26.7.2019 - HP Noronen

Time to look something more specific about the gameplay this week. During the journey, characters may learn variety of new skills. One of the things that Kipuna can learn is ice magic, and what would be more fitting for hot summer day than a look at some cold’n’cool ice!

Even though ice magic is not as powerful for direct damage as for example fire magic, it is very versatile and deadly as tactical element.

Icy ground is slippery, improving knockback and increasing chance of knockdown for people standing on it. In addition you can even cast giant blocks of ice to shield you from incoming projectiles or push enemies back. Handy, eh?

ice_01-1024x535.png

And that is not all. If some of the enemy hotheads need calming down, you can use ice magic to lower their temperature and eventually freeze them. And why not turn your companion to frost beast itself by enchanting their blade. That allows them to spread the frost around the battlefield and freeze the enemies with their swings.

ice_02-1024x535.png

So, if you are looking for versatile control over battlefield, the ice is your friend. Cool news for hot summer day!

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom